[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What makes /a/nime directors think that they can start anime
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 11
File: why.png (233 KB, 520x336) Image search: [Google]
why.png
233 KB, 520x336
What makes /a/nime directors think that they can start anime adaptations early and make up bullshit endings? How can anyone get into such a head-space?

Can anyone really defend these decisions?

>Akame ga Kill
>hurr durr skip an entire arc of the manga
>hurr durr giant golden dragon form
>hurr durr everyone dies

>Erased
>hurr durr philosophy
>hurr durr happy ending, no real conclusion

>Soul Eater
>hurr durr muh punch of courage
>hurr durr nobody dies

W H Y
>>
>>139094065
maybe stop watching shit anime
>>
File: ab.png (12 KB, 500x294) Image search: [Google]
ab.png
12 KB, 500x294
>>139094227
>>
>>139094065
Anime is made to sell manga and light novels. Not to sell the anime itself. Its why we dont really get season 2s. The anime is just a promotion device.
>>
File: 1203021984177.jpg (17 KB, 230x261) Image search: [Google]
1203021984177.jpg
17 KB, 230x261
>>139094065
The anime advertises the manga/LN/whatever -- so you either just stop, and make a blatant "now read on", or you try to put some closure, which means making shit up.
>>
>>139094364

Surely no mangaka has ever gone, "Yeah, fuck my story right? Make up some garbage."

Though I guess it is effective at making me go read the manga instead.
>>
File: 1445978174980.jpgXX0001.jpg (130 KB, 1280x1080) Image search: [Google]
1445978174980.jpgXX0001.jpg
130 KB, 1280x1080
>>139094323
>agame ga kill
>erased
>soul eater
>not shitty entry tier anime
>>
>>139094065

They're paid to make an anime while the source material is still popular and current. Interest drops off after the original story finishes. FMAB is an exception, it was only remade because the manga was popular enough to justify selling the same story twice.
>>
File: bokurano-weg.jpg (114 KB, 1008x403) Image search: [Google]
bokurano-weg.jpg
114 KB, 1008x403
>>139094443
Yeah, surely.
>>
how is making an original story from a manga, offering a different interpretation with creative liberty, any different than making an "original" anime that's influenced by unrelated anime, movies, or books?
>>
>>139094443
Do you think mangaka are in charge of that?
Anime is a promotion device for light novels and mangas. This is the exact words of a butthurt anime studio director who was explaining why season 2s are never made.
>>
>>139094065
Bullshit endings generally came down to giving audience SOME kind of conclusive ending. If we're lucky it's an open ending with the possibility for story to continue. Cutting off in the middle of the story just because you want to stay true to source material is bad form, sadly.
>>
>>139094065
What makes you believe anime directors decide what series are greenlighted?
>>
>>139094456
real answer is to stop doing fucking adaptations in the first place. I can't even imagine little money they make on anime alone if the goal is to just sell more source material, whether that's manga or light novel.
>>
>>139094540

I mean... Because it's not canon. I wouldn't take anything that's not from the source material as canon.

>>139094558
>>139094682

Just doesn't makes sense to me. Japs must be way behind on the times, because you don't see this kind of thing with Movies. Movies don't try to sell the books they're based off of-- They try to overtake them.
>>
>>139094495
What does it mean? They butchered the mango?
>>
File: 1458160947713.jpg (214 KB, 658x595) Image search: [Google]
1458160947713.jpg
214 KB, 658x595
>>139094452

>entry-level animes are bad

Keep tryin'
>>
File: 3a0.gif (262 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
3a0.gif
262 KB, 250x250
>>139094753
>I mean... Because it's not canon.

see them as two separately created products that have the same characters but different continuities
>>
>>139094753
Movies are mostly based off capeshit and are usually loose adaptations.
>>
File: Arslan_with_Azrael.jpg (200 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
Arslan_with_Azrael.jpg
200 KB, 1366x768
>>139094456
I have a feeling Arslan got adapted solely because Arakawa was making the new manga.
>>
>>139094452
Erased was alright.
>>
>>139094813
Bokurano was a legendary case of an original GONZO ending for an on-going manga -- that alone would have been bad enough, but the director went to record to say that he hated the series he'd been given to adapt.
>>
>>139094813
I haven watched the anime, but I know the director explicitly said that he disliked the manga.
>>
>>139094753
Thats because no one cares about books here. Light novels and manga are huge there. dont be uncultured about it. Anime in general doesnt really sell. Furthermore animation studios dont decide what to animate. The get commissioned to animate something. This isnt a movie with box office sells. Its a tv series.
>>
>>139094944
Seriously? The original ending was okay, I ended up liking edgyboy. What happened in the manga?
>>
File: wtf.png (90 KB, 387x323) Image search: [Google]
wtf.png
90 KB, 387x323
>>139094868

>two separately created products that have the same characters but different continuities

Problem is, it's not marketed as such. It's marketed as what it should be: An animated version of the manga. Then they shit on it and it's somehow all ay-okay.
>>
>>139095022
>It's marketed as what it should be: An animated version of the manga.

It's not, though. That's strictly what an OVA is.
>>
>>139094987

>no one cares about books here

I don't really see how you've come up with that conclusion.

Know how they could sell Anime better? Not be shit-sticks about it and give the quality that deserves high sales.
>>
>>139095009
Everyone dies. Or something like that.
>>
>>139095254
This is just an uncultured and uneducated opinion.
>>
>>139095022
>An animated version of the manga.
No, they're marketed as anime adaptations. If you want an animated version of a graphic novel, go watch those stupid ass comic book animations where they take panels of a comic and move it around slightly while narrating the dialogue or whatever. That would be an animated version of something. Anime adaptations should take whatever liberties they feel they need based on the format and whether it works or not should be judged based on its own merits, not this "They changed something I liked so it's shit!" nonsense.
>>
>>139095327

Sometimes you just have to take a step back and take it for what it is: A missed opportunity.
>>
File: bokurano-before-and-after.jpg (111 KB, 700x400) Image search: [Google]
bokurano-before-and-after.jpg
111 KB, 700x400
>>139095009
It ended up with Jun, the kid who hated is little sister, piloting on another Earth, and their pilot having hidden somewhere, so he had to kill everyone there individually. And then one of the military bureaucrat types went on to be the next Dungbeetle.
>>
>>139095263
But everyone died in the anime too except the sister. Or do you mean, the entire planet Earth?
>>
>>139095254
The business model works for them. If it's not broken why try to fix it? Studios get paid, manga and LN sales boost, otaku get their figures, BD sets and waifus, everyone is happy.
>>
>>139095381
Or look at trends over the decades and the culture something is in and make an educated opinion.
I dont really have time to explain to someone why they are stupid so Ill stop. But anime doesnt sell. Not just anime you dont like. Anime itself doesnt sale in comparison to manga and light novels.
>>
>>139094753
>They try to overtake them
Movies based on books also help on sales a lot though, they work hand in hand and when they don't shit like GOT happens where they just make things on the go because they already adapted all of the books, so is not that different from manga or LN adaptations.
>>
>>139095455
So they were obligated to select another Dung/Koemuchi? It felt weird when the original Dung just let everyone go without consequences, this explains that
>>
File: 1193.jpg (68 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1193.jpg
68 KB, 1280x720
Some people want closed endings and with manga's being longer than most studios can adapt they usually change it up to maybe increase sales instead of leaving it on a cliffhanger ending or something.
>>
>>139095470
but it is broken and it's falling apart around them. did you forget animators are essentially living slave lives and are overworked to death? system work per-say, but the human element will make it crumble from the inside or they'll have to completely outsource everything.
>>
>>139094747
Studios do not decide that they make adaptions. They get hired by the IP owners to make them, and the IP owners hire the studios that offer the best amount of quality in relation to the pay demanded, with perhaps some more negotiations towards more budget, time and royalties.
Simple as that.
>>
>>139095458
I meant Kana dies too. The piloting order is different as well, and thus the interactions between the characters change, and Koemushi isn't that much of an asshole in the end. You should give it a try, anon.
>>
>>139094913
Superhero movies kinda have to do that because they're based on source material with decades of source material, usually filled with reboots and retcons of their own. They're not exactly the norm. Something like 300 or Watchmen, minus the ending, are more along the lines of adaptations done right.
>>
>>139095660
>Im retarded have no idea what Im talking about
studios are not paid by sales, but by whoever hired them. The animators arent going to profit by making a better product.
>>
>>139095772
How they are paid is utterly irrelevant when the fact is cogs in the machine are severely underpaid and are working insane hours. It's not your job as much as it's your entire life.
>>
those things are ~$1 per volume, anime is ~$60 per volume. (most) japanese don't consume en masse and stick to a small number of things they personally like. because sales are so spread out, it needs to be more expensive to cover production costs. but because it's so expensive, children and teenagers usually don't buy it, instead leaving a minority of adults fans as an audience. these adult fans tend to be obsessive. combine that with production costs increasing with the switch to HD
>>
>>139094065
>What makes /a/nime directors think that they can start anime adaptations early and make up bullshit endings?

Most anime adaptations are endorsed by the original mangaka/author because it's a popularity boost and brings in publicity. In fact many collaborate with the studio when making the anime giving advice and guidance here and there. It's not the directors fault that they catch up or only have a limited number of episodes with which to finish things. In most instances they do a decent enough job with what they've got and it's not like you have the original author screaming about how terrible it is when they knew inevitably that an ending would need to be played out and one that would have to differ to what they might have had in mind due to episode constraints and how much is being adapted in the first place.
>>
>>139095826
Yeah, sucks to be them. At least they're not sweatshop workers in Africa or South East Asia.

Except for those sweatshop worker animators in South East Asian studios that are subcontracted by Japanese animation studios to do inbetween animation.
>>
>>139095660
It has been like that since the beginning, animators understand they will be exploited and that it can't be helped.
>>
>>139094814
>>139094926
I'll be honest, entry level anime is pretty good, sometimes objectively better than shows deeper on the list, but when one ends up shitty or half baked, it's not a surprise
>>
>>139096053
>entry level anime is pretty good
Nice generalization, senpai.
>>
>>139095826
It has everything to do with the idea that making a series to your liking will not change their pay.
>>
Wait, why can't they make a good promotion instead of just what they usually do?
>>
>>139096101
usually entry level anime is good, because despite all our contrarianism there usually is a good reason that an anime has a huge following
>>
>>139097195
They do, nips pick up the manga or LN.
>>
>>139097283
Why not a good standalone? Does a not shit anime make people not read the manga or something?
>>
>>139097257
Entry level doesn't translate to quality, only appeal. By no stretch of the definition is Fairy Tail good, but it has a more widespread appeal because "It's epic".
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.