[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are you okay with generic-looking characters? Or do you think
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 5
File: img0ff0337fzik6zj.jpg (26 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
img0ff0337fzik6zj.jpg
26 KB, 500x281
Are you okay with generic-looking characters?
Or do you think a character should be recognizable any time, anywhere?
>>
File: QUALITY.jpg (46 KB, 500x313) Image search: [Google]
QUALITY.jpg
46 KB, 500x313
>>139050148
Generic is better than going 'too far'
>>
>>139050148
Satou looks pretty generic but he's more fleshed out than most MCs.
>>
File: 1449739378497.png (192 KB, 431x431) Image search: [Google]
1449739378497.png
192 KB, 431x431
Need more designs like Misaka.
Generic looking but just enough nuances to make them distinguishable.
>>
It doesn't ruin a show for me, that's petty, but obviously a character design shouldn't be generic.
>>
Normal looking > Overdesigned special snowflake.

I don't mind unrealistic color hair though.
>>
If they look generic in comparison to the rest of the cast, that's the best time to look so.
>>
File: not goku.gif (19 KB, 441x352) Image search: [Google]
not goku.gif
19 KB, 441x352
Post the most original design you can think of, no matter how shitty
>>
File: 4212351324.jpg (36 KB, 500x283) Image search: [Google]
4212351324.jpg
36 KB, 500x283
May sound stupid, but i think that Toradora has some of the best character designs. That and Patlabor
>>
I'd rather have a character with generic looks but interesting personality than the reverse.
>>
>>139050148
In anime I like a good combo of both. In manga I like more unique styles.
>>
Generic is fine as long as there is something that distinguishes them from other similiar looking characters
>>
>>139050148
Good character design should reflect the character in some way (or even just the plot or setting), so the real issue would just be that the character is generic
>>
I'd say it depends on the genre. I like normal looking characters in slice of life shows, but in shonen or things of that sort that have a bit more room to experiment. But most of all it needs to follow the shows style. Gatchaman crowds and FLCL really benefit from interesting character design, but shows like lain and even K-ON has an atmosphere that benefits from more than average looking characters, with just enough to make them memorable.
>>
>>139050148
It's the worst thing about anime. In fact it's the main reason I've basically stopped watching anything but adaptations of old manga.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.