[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does 4chan favor 2003 anime or Brotherhood?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 4
File: 77.gif (14 KB, 300x100) Image search: [Google]
77.gif
14 KB, 300x100
Does 4chan favor 2003 anime or Brotherhood?
>>
File: Envy_the_onahole.jpg (37 KB, 876x549) Image search: [Google]
Envy_the_onahole.jpg
37 KB, 876x549
Brotherhood
>>
Better ending, far better story telling, better character development, better themes.
Brotherhood isn't even a standalone story. You need to watch the first 15 episodes or so from 2003.
>>
There's no consensus, OP.
>>
File: full metal activist.png (35 KB, 174x196) Image search: [Google]
full metal activist.png
35 KB, 174x196
>>139014841
Why is FMA a banner though?
>>
manga > brotherhood >>> 2003
>>
>>139013115
Why are you writing as if /a/ represented 4chan?
>>
>>139013115
Brotherhood
>>
manga > 2003 > brotherhood
>>
>>139014905
>anime on banner
>the anime board is not the appropriate place to discuss this
>>
I haven't seen Brotherhood but the 2003 series was decent until the anime original crap
>>
>>139015027
The fact that you write "4chan" shows how new you are. Gee, it's not like board culture or such exist, right?
>>
>>139014823
>better ending
Nigga, the ending was near gainax tier. At no point the show foreshadowed that Amestris was some parallel universe simultaneously linked with ours. It was shocking for the point of being shocking.

>Better Character Development
The characters aren't the same as in Brotherhood. Mustang and Armstrong having PTSD as well as Scar being a straight up hero was due to plot changes rather than character progression.

>Brotherhood isn't even a standalone story. You need to watch the first 15 episodes or so from 2003.
Brotherhood was made under the assumption most had watched 2003, so it didn't drag on the beginning. 2003 on the otherhand had plenty of filler.
>>
>>139014823
>Better ending
no. I do agree about watching the beginning of 2003 first, though.
>>
>>139015285
>At no point the show foreshadowed that Amestris was some parallet universe
you can tell by the religious symbolism on the gate i forgot what it exactly was but its a religion tale
>The characters aren't the same
can't argue that they do act different but Armstrong at least was more deep than in brotherhood
>2003 on the otherhand had plenty of filler
anything that was filler was to further develop a character but not that dog episode that ones pointless
>>
>>139013115
2003 for the story, Brotherhood for the fight scenes.
>>
>>139015285
>At no point the show foreshadowed
Lube is over rated, go raw sometimes. There's no value in watching a series play out if you already know what's going to happen. And you certainly did with the Brotherhood ending ever since you meet the homunculi.

Ed and Al are the same. They were further developed in the 2003 series.
Soldiers having PTSD and having issues with a corrupt military state makes sense. And it adds depth to the characters. As for scar being a straight up hero: he was clearly a villain. He had a rough time to be sure, but that's how you get villains.

>but it wasn't in the manga

You can't say brotherhood is better if you have to watch part of 2003 for it to become better.
>>
2003>manga>Brotherhood
the movie wasn't that bad
>>
>>139013115
Manga
>>
Yui - again is my favourite OP from either series.
>>
I prefer manga.
>>
I like how the ending of brotherhood was about accepting your humanity over the 2003 ending anytime.
>>
2003 is clearly the patrician choice. The characters are more fleshed out as a result of a more internalized struggle (discovering the limits of applying scientific concepts to the natural world, overcoming the loss of their mother and accepting the return of their father, assessing the relationship between "truth" and knowledge, etc.), whereas Brotherhood's is simply a matter of saving the world with the power of friendship. Characters in Brotherhood drop in and out to advance the plot and carry no symbolic weight. Despite the dialogue revolving more around "human bonds," the de-individualization of each person seems to contradict the notion of sacrificing self-interest for the greater good. The fact that the manga wasn't completed made 2003's writers struggle for creative explanations within the confines of the rules already laid out for them, Brotherhood, meanwhile suffers from the manga' frequent employment of deus ex machina. Not to mention how the ending of 2003 is much more consistent thematically.
>>
>>139017278
Shut the fuck up meme pasta
>>
>>139014823
Literally fuck off 2003 is a train wreck that some of /a/ deliberately tries to save face
>>
>>139015159
>board culture
I bet you're one of those faggots who calls people out for "crossboarding". It's all the same cesspit
>>
>>139015285
>Scar being a straight up hero
lol he murdered the entirety of Liore wtf are you talking about
>>
>>139016530
But the human characters never even had a problem with that after like episode 20. Only the homonculi did, and they never learned shit.
>>
File: What am I looking at.png (565 KB, 1424x989) Image search: [Google]
What am I looking at.png
565 KB, 1424x989
>>139013115
Did you want to cause an argument? Because that's all that question ever does. 2003 fags will go on and on about how their version was better because it was more deep and shit, the brotherhood fags will say that theirs is superior simply because its story follows the manga and mangafags will add nothing to the conversation besides simply saying manga.

No one wins in this conversation.
>>
The overall product that was Brotherhood was better, but 2003 had certain qualities to it that I think make it worth still seeing alongside Brotherhood (preferably before).

For example, I always liked the portrayal of the homunculi in 2003 as more Frankenstein's monsters that were often just looking to be human, all the while with disdain for humanity which rejected them from their births. Also, the first 15 or so episodes of 2003 are more detailed and better paced than Brotherhood, even with some filler. The extent to which Brotherhood skipped over earlier content details in the name of "already covered by 2003" really comes to a head when it comes time to explain Yoki's otherwise off-screen interactions with the Elrics that brought him to hate the brothers.

Conquest of Shamballa was a fucking mess though, and in some ways hampered my opinions on what should have been 2003's primary ending.
>>
>>139017312
I just wrote that now, retard. I know there are a lot of big words, but that's just how people with better opinions than you formulate their arguments.
>>
>>139017470
He was portrayed almost unambiguously a good guy when he completed the circle to make the philosophers stone, using the evil amestrian army as the price, even sacrificing himself to do so. Not to mention the whole arc of him and Lust coming to an understanding of his brother.
>>
>>139017382
That is what i have been slowly realizing as of late.
>>
>>139015544
I think the other moment of foreshadowing (also religious in nature) when it comes to Dante having dates that use the AD identifier which is not used anywhere else in the alchemist universe. There is even a short line (if I remember correctly) that points out the lack of ability to explain the point of reference for that identifier, only making sense when one realizes Dante's knowledge of our side of the gate.
>>
>>139017595
That's not true at all. He was portrayed as complex and you were able to understand his motivations but there was no ambiguity over the act of making the stone being evil. Contrast this against Brotherhood, where as soon as the good guys need him to translate the research notes he becomes buddy-buddy for the rest of the series.
>>
>>139017367
no, you.
Also stop falling for train memes.
People spend time on things because they like to. There is no "so bad it's good" no "watching it ironically" no "I was there for the threads and train wreck".
I bet you failed English class as a kid. "Literally fuck off" is not an argument.
Grow up.
>>
>>139017595
>using the evil amestrian army as the price, even sacrificing himself to do so
So he's a martyr candidate. But he fails the cut because his people don't use alchemy. Designating him "mass murderer" and "heretic."

The only way to see him as a hero is if you believe what he was doing is just (killing the 'evil' military [ignoring that only the leadership are evil]), and that him being ostracised for it is entirely unjust (despite the differing perspective of characters and yourself).
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.