[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone else think Tomino is incredibly underrated and underappreciated?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4
File: tomino.jpg (11 KB, 250x350) Image search: [Google]
tomino.jpg
11 KB, 250x350
Anyone else think Tomino is incredibly underrated and underappreciated?

I've never been disappointed by anything he's touched. Everything he puts out is legitimately great.
>>
>>138960550
I love the man, but Garzey's Wing was legit terrible.

I will say that Brain Powerd is severely underrated. Poor show never really stood a chance post-Eva. It's kind of like how Equilibrium got buried by The Matrix.
>>
>>138960550
>Everything he puts out is legitimately great.
Zeta Gundam, not so good.
>>
been trying to get into gundam. everything in UC has sucked. thinking about skipping the other time lines and trying Turn A
>>
>>138960626
Garzey Wing is not that bad. It had interesting ideas at least, but it really suffers from JC Staff not giving a shit.
Wings of Rean is just as bad but since it looks good it doesn't get as much flak.
>>
The only works that I really liked from him are Gundam Zeta and Turn A Gundam.
>>
>>138960550
I think he's an ok storyteller but a rather bad director. His works in general are rather visually bland, maybe besides Turn A.
>>
>>138962915
UC is the only wortwhile part of Gundam. I can understand not liking Tomino stuff, but you didn't even like War in the Pocket?
>>
File: Darkseid.jpg (31 KB, 328x398) Image search: [Google]
Darkseid.jpg
31 KB, 328x398
>>138960550
>>
File: 1453873304869.jpg (95 KB, 680x989) Image search: [Google]
1453873304869.jpg
95 KB, 680x989
>>138964223
>UC is the only wortwhile part of Gundam.
>>
>>138964223

His themes and stories are good even if it gets repetitive after a while.

His direction is bad. Really bad. Everything feels horribly antiquated in terms of pacing and composition. Like 50-60's antiquated (which makes sense since worked under Tezuka, whose stuff generally has the same issues). He doesn't seem to understand there's more to proper storytelling then events and characters.

Turn A is pretty good.
>>
>>138967574
Say what you want about his skill, at least his shows are interesting (except Zeta)
I watched all of G Reco but I couldn't watch more than 4 episodes of IBO
>>
>>138967705
Anecdotal evidence, and I don't think you wanna make a point by comparing anything with IBO Gundam wise unless you wanna be King of the AGE tier.
>>
File: 1434485393734.jpg (447 KB, 2000x1075) Image search: [Google]
1434485393734.jpg
447 KB, 2000x1075
>>138960550
Besides from a couple of shows Tomino is pretty damn great. It's a shame he gets so much shit on /a/ just because some people have trouble following his shows.
>>
>>138969799
Not everyone who thinks he's flawed has trouble following his shows, but you're right that the ones that do have trouble are the ones that stand out.

He's like Tanaka Yoshiki in that he's an old boy, and sticks to his trade mark for better or worse, though in defense of Tomino he's far more willing to 'update' himself and expand on HOW he uses his familiar set of tools to craft a story.

Tanaka is literally a fucking one trick pony.
>>
>>138960550
>incredibly underrated and underappreciated
>only one good idea in his entire life

pick one
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.