[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I get my dumbass friend to read and or watch Berserk?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 6
File: 18520l.jpg (142 KB, 429x600) Image search: [Google]
18520l.jpg
142 KB, 429x600
How do I get my dumbass friend to read and or watch Berserk?

He loves Naruto and other crap and im trying to show him that there are better things out there. He has also never read manga before. Tried telling him its like GoT because hes a normie
>>
>>138682174
>friend
>>
File: 2782531-berserk18602463.jpg (197 KB, 1174x851) Image search: [Google]
2782531-berserk18602463.jpg
197 KB, 1174x851
>>
>>138682174
fuck off
>>
File: viper_kill_yourself_man.jpg (928 KB, 1536x2048) Image search: [Google]
viper_kill_yourself_man.jpg
928 KB, 1536x2048
>>
Did you already try the clock work orange method ?

-anus
>>
>>138682174
Oh fuck off and let him be. You can't convince everyone and all he's gonna do is shit on it anyway because it isn't Naruto. Also

>Expecting a normie to read 343 chapters of a manga that isn't your typical shounen shit
Come on man, that's like constantly pestering a "movie fan" to watch The Babadook because he liked Friday the 13th.
>>
>>138682783
You mean the Ludovico technique.
>>
If he's an actual normie, he won't like it.
Too many loli boobs.
>>
Tell him to watch the first movie on netflix, normies very netflix

>inb4 Manga purist autism
>>
Why would you even consider making him watch it? Is he illiterate?
>>
lend him a Volume or have him watch the anime.
>>
>>138685333
What a terrible idea. The only person who could get any enjoyment out of those movies is already a Berserk fan.
>>
File: die is better.png (37 KB, 203x172) Image search: [Google]
die is better.png
37 KB, 203x172
>>
The more you try to convince someone to like something the more they hate it.
>>
>>138688033
Most normal people arent picky about animation (that isn't nearly as bad as you spergs pretend it is) and don't get autistic about THAT ONE SUPER IMPORTANT SIDE CHARACTER WITH TWO LINES being cut

The movies condense what's good about berserk in a highly palatable 5 hour block
>>
The only thing worse than people liking shit is people who try to shove their idea of 'better' down someones elses throat.

Honestly though find out what parts of naruto he likes then suggest based on that. Rather than that is shit this is good. He might honestly like parts you dont find or value as much.
>>
File: Unslightly.png (66 KB, 411x518) Image search: [Google]
Unslightly.png
66 KB, 411x518
>>138682174
Same thing happened to me. Recommended Helck and the thing he says is that it had no foreshadowing or elements like a dumbass and saying One piece is the best manga. And he had a slight taste of berserk but only read a glimpse of it and said he did not like the art. Another friend who is a girl thinks Fairy Tail is the best and she never listens to anyone. Shit taste. Everyone. Only in this unsightly world, we are the only ones with true taste.
>>
>>138690500
>Only in this unsightly world, we are the only ones with true taste.
this could potentially be a fact, i've heard about the shit that goes down in my sister's university anime society. their facebook page also seals the deal for me
>>
>>138682174
What are his tatstes in other mediums exactly? You can't just recommend what's generally considered good on /a/ to a normalfag, you have to find something that's similar to their taste first
>>
>implying normies watch anything that isnt on netflix
>>
>>138691216
Berserk is on Netflix, the movies anyway
>>
>>138682174
Show him Hunter x Hunter
>>
>>138691150
You from the western hemisphere? Cos the college anime club there is shit to the extreme from what I've heard from my states friends.

Eastern hemisphere people generally have more refined taste so uni anime club is more like genshiken here and they're among us here
>>
File: vstarterpack.jpg (448 KB, 1994x948) Image search: [Google]
vstarterpack.jpg
448 KB, 1994x948
>thinking Berserk is anything but trash for /v/edditors
What's happening is part of a phenomenon I wrote about a couple of years ago when I was asked to comment on Kentaro Miura. I went to an Akihabara anime store and bought and read a copy of the "Golden Age." I suffered a great deal in the process. The writing was dreadful; the art was terrible. As I read, I noticed that every time the main character fell in the presence of others, he would accidentally fall on a woman and grope her breasts. I began marking on the back of my volume every time this was repeated. I stopped only after I had marked the volume several dozen times. I was incredulous. Miura's mind is so governed by cliches and dead metaphors that he has no other style of writing.

But when I wrote that on My Anime List, I was denounced. I was told that new anime fans would now read and watch only Berserk, and I was asked whether that wasn't, after all, better than reading nothing at all? If Berserk was what it took to make them pick up anime, wasn't that a good thing?

It is not. "Berserk" will not lead our children on to Masaaki Yuasa's "The Tatami Galaxy" or his "Ping Pong: The Animation" It will not lead them to Satoshi Kon's "Perfect Blue" or Ryūtarō Nakamura's "Serial Experiments Lain" or Hiroshi Nagahama's "Mushishi."

Later I read a lavish, loving review of Berserk by Hiroyuki Imaishi. He wrote something to the effect of, "If these new fans are watching Berserk at 13 or 14, then when they get older they will go on to watch Gurren Lagann." And he was quite right. He was not being ironic. When you watch Berserk, you are, in fact, trained to watch Gurren Lagann.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.