[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dead Dead Demon's DeDeDeDe Destruction
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 20
new chapter
shit goes down
discuss
>>
agreed
>>
>>138613847
Chapter was dramatic as fuck, poor aliens.
I doubt the thread will take off though, we had one today to discuss ch 30.
>>
I thought this was supposed to be CGDCT

The fuck hapen
>>
File: dedededeal with it.jpg (201 KB, 745x695) Image search: [Google]
dedededeal with it.jpg
201 KB, 745x695
>>138614220
>Expecting anything but suffering from Asano Inio
I've been waiting for this since the very beginning
>>
>>138614087
gotta love the concept of being invaded by weak aliens. Really goes after the military industrial complex, but with a darker turn when it's motivated by real war instead of "military preparedness." That the government is willing to demonize and murder them for economic gain and a unified country...poor aliens.
>>
>>138614294
at least he's willing to throw us a bone or two this time around. punpun was actually hard to read.

but just look at this qt
>>
what did she ran by this?
>>
what did she mean by this?
>>
WHAT DID SHE MEAN BY THIS?!
>>
>>138614441
>>138614497

It's just a meaningless phrase she uses throughout the series.
>>
>>
what did who mean by this?
>>
>>138614619

Pretty sure that one's wrong. Should be the same as the others.
>>
>>138614737
I kinda figured they didn't mess it up, but I didn't see the raw. Just seems kinda hard to mess up the translation on that.
>>
File: dddd.jpg (48 KB, 421x211) Image search: [Google]
dddd.jpg
48 KB, 421x211
Next chapter is an Ontan chapter.

>>138614860

Yeah, you're right
>>
>>138615116
r8 cuteness on a scale of one to drunk ontan
>>
>>
That alien in a ragged scarf is kinda cool
>>
What is that 'black mist'?
>>
File: 191.jpg (352 KB, 856x1200) Image search: [Google]
191.jpg
352 KB, 856x1200
>>138613847
>shit goes down
Shit goes even deeper down in the next one.

>>138614332
Honestly it doesn't feel like the government is somehow exploiting the situation, more like everyone is retarded and overreacting and the retardation ends in tragedy.

>>138616265
Contamination from whatever weapons were used on the mothership.
>>
>>138617757
>more like everyone is retarded and overreacting and the retardation ends in tragedy.

i dunno, while i take pause in agreeing with edgy mcedgelord the scarf wearer, it sounds suspicious that the aliens were sent to earth with no real info and no support from their planet. if you cant communicate with a people, you don't park a city's worth of your own people in their airspace with no warning. there's something more to it.
>>
>>138617757
The 'F' bomb?
>>
>>138617757
Does alien boy take a likeing to ontan or something?...
>>
>>138619601
probably
that's why they developed "green weapons" and turned it into an industry
>>
>>138614087
>poor aliens.
Found the female
>>
File: 1451131594094.png (870 KB, 1702x2500) Image search: [Google]
1451131594094.png
870 KB, 1702x2500
>>138615570
>>138615610
Where are you getting these quality scans?

>>138617757
Oh look the faggot that can't hold his pee is here again. God fucking damnit. Ruined thread.

Also can someone translate this page?
>>
>>138619923
>translate
i'm pretty sure it's nonsense (what the human is saying) since the aliens don't understand his language
>>
>>138619875
or maybe an empathic human being
>>
>>138620195
nah, that's not possible. anyway what did they think was going to happen when they invade a planet they know nothing about and have no way of communicating to?
>>
>>138619923
Isn't it just stylised hiragana?
>kotatatatatata
>renonanananawo
>kowo
Though it is still nonsense.
>>
>>138620257
Do they even know they are invading in the first place?
>>
>>138620015
>>138620310
I meant the empty bubbles
>>
>>138618856
well, it makes some sense to me. I think they were sent out by an overzealous and overpopulated planet that wanted to take advantage of patriotism to have popular support, only to have it go too far. I don't think you can trust everything scarf says, but the part about dying for the motherland felt genuine, coupled with tsutomo's reaction. Sounded like nationalist zeal to me. Kinda felt like the invaders view the war like WWII, whereas Japan views it sorta like Vietnam... there's that feeling of armchair protest like near the end of 'nam.

It's all undermined by the weak aliens, though. It makes it seem like the octopus are playing at hating the invaders, and the squid are playing at protesting. Hence the shilling names for the two groups.
>>
I still don't understand why little alien don't even fight back. They are being slaughter here. At least arms yourself!
>>
File: 017 d d d.jpg (859 KB, 1440x1040) Image search: [Google]
017 d d d.jpg
859 KB, 1440x1040
Asano, couldn't we have just had cute girls for a little while longer?
I adore these characters so much, especially Kadode, I don't want them to suffer.
>>
>>138622973
>I don't want them to suffer.
man, you chose the wrong mangaka
>>
>>138622973
>I don't want them to be alive
>>
File: 000 ddd fight2.jpg (195 KB, 888x617) Image search: [Google]
000 ddd fight2.jpg
195 KB, 888x617
>>138619923
>quality scans
Not that anon but I just use the scanlator's site (m3ow.moe). The group is also translating Odette, which is kawaii as fuck.
>>
>>138619923
According to the translator, the closest thing to what the alien says there is "Urgh, Urgh"
>>
I feel like this would honestly make for a great anime. Even if the anime ends up looking worse.
>>
>>138623359
as a feature film it could work. Feels like it has the direction for it. I can just imagine the cute voice acting and horror movie sound track. I think it'd be tough to do the setting justice. It's so well filled out.
>>
solid advice
>>
File: img000016 (3).jpg (537 KB, 1493x668) Image search: [Google]
img000016 (3).jpg
537 KB, 1493x668
>>138624190
>>
>>138623359
Of this ever gets an adaptation, I want Makoto to be voiced by the same dude that voiced Rui from Gatchaman Crowds and the Haikyuu MC.

Only dude besides Akira Ishida that could get an adequate range.
>>
>>138623359
It would be a great anime serie or a movie. And this style is more frinendly to adapt that Punpun's.
>>
As an anime it would hit a kind of unique spot. There's NieA_7 where a huge alien ship crash lands on Earth and most of the aliens integrate with human society, a number of shows where the aliens are fairly benign but want to keep hands off, and all the other anime about aliens where the human race has to struggle to survive post-contact.
>>
Do you guys think this story is an allegory?
A general critique of human nature?
Or just a criticism of the fictional characters created?
>>
>>138625473
Inio just likes to shit on everything, he made the same on Punpun with Pegasus. He just enjoys drawing little girls more than going down with Punpun's topics.
>>
>>138625592
>He just enjoys drawing little girls suffering
FTFY
>>
>>138625415
I think it already is in a unique spot as a story, no need to limit that claim to anime. Tough to think any novel or movie has even the most generalized version of the premise: The planet is invaded by helplessly weak aliens.
>>
I wouldn't be completely opposed to an anime adaptation, but I would be quite skeptical about whether one would get enough of a budget to do justice to Inio's gorgeous artstyle here.
>>
>>138626024
You don't exactly need special budget to do it justice, just good background artists and a good director to compose it the scenes properly.
>>
>>138625778
>The planet is invaded by helplessly weak aliens.
Try the G'Gugvuntt and Vl'hurg invasion of Earth from Hitchhiker. Just a cameo appearance, though, not a full story.
>>
>>138625778
that's not what the story is about, though.
the story is about the friendship of two cute and exceptionally quirky girls.
>>
>>138626217
It really isn't. I think this is more like "the story told as seen by cute highschool girls." The characters are just a way to make the story personal. Sure, it's their life during this, but I think the intrigue comes from the plot on a large scale. Considering how much of the story is dedicated to side character and expanding on the politics, I think that's pretty clear. Just look at the part about the journalist investigating the weapons corporation. That doesn't really pertain to the kids at all.
>>
>>138626166
well, as I was typing that I was thinking the situation or close to it exists in comedy. The serious take on this seems pretty novel. I guess it goes hand in hand with the dissonance of cute girls doing cute things while war crimes are committed.

>inb4 ontan says fun things are fun
>>
>>138626024
>>138626151
Background artists is one of those things that is easy to get good results for given a good enough budget. But even the cheapest anime have mostly decent backgrounds
>>
>>138626024
>Inio's gorgeous artstyle
Don't his assistants do most of the backgrounds in Photoshop
these days?
>>
File: 001.png (432 KB, 928x1350) Image search: [Google]
001.png
432 KB, 928x1350
>>138626799
I suppose that it depends on interpretation and what you want to get out of the manga. I appreciate all of the robust world-building. He has created a setting that is at least as unique and interesting as any of the characters. I am happy taking that, however, as the foundation. Maybe I've become too enamored with Ontan and Kadode. But for me the central story laid over the detailed sci-fi backdrop is that of two hyper-aware girls looking for meaning--or at least something to preoccupy them--in a messed up. Ontan's ridiculous sayings attest to that, at least. Dead Dead Demons to me is pic related: the mundane struggle of living through days that seem to drift by into uncertainty, which the alien plot provides a delightful contrast to.
>>
>>138626151
I can see a good director as being crucial. The manga has some great timing cues, and like a lot of good manga the rhythm it establishes is pretty important to the meaning of what the characters say. A lot of kadode and ouran's opposition to the politics of the time is silent, for example. I think considering how open to interpretation a lot of the manga is, especially the views of ouran and kadode, capturing the emotion accurately is paramount. Otherwise the director is just applying their own conclusion to the characters or making them inscrutable.

It'd be cool if Inio was a close consultant but obviously you never know how capable he would be at realizing his ideas in a new medium.
>>
>>138627233
I dunno if it's in Photoshop but to be clear the backgrounds are hand drawn, not filters like they are in gantz. They're traced though, my guess is either in Photoshop or by hand with a high contrast image to make tracing easier.
>>
>>138614332
Are they being invaded? The aliens don't seem to be armed. Looks more like an alien cruise ship broke down and humans are shooting up the tourists who get on the lifeboats.
>>
>>138626799
>>138627468
I think Inio is exploring the Pegasus route he couldn't elaborate on Punpun. I mean, ordinary people confronting an unusual situation. From what we learnt from manga and anime, main characters should be chosen ones o special ones. But Inio gives a shit about it, and he likes to think how unattainable is an event for people. And how regular is life despite supernatural happenings.
>>
File: img000007.png (689 KB, 1200x1690) Image search: [Google]
img000007.png
689 KB, 1200x1690
>>138627607
The backgrounds are not hand drawn is just photos that asano takes and then he adjusts them to his liking with photoshop.
Documentary with Asano while working in chapter 26 with subs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYEh0AeRVlc
>>
>>138627674
they're not really being invaded any more because the aliens have given up. But that was the intention of the aliens as far as I can tell from what we know.

BTW, the setting here is really similar to the TV show "V." I dunno what the show was based in but it was basically a generic thriller.
>>
>>138628112
I think it's kinda like pegasus, but after what inio said, pegasus was actually a big deal, and all the people in that arc were critical actors who saved the world. That close involvement doesn't match up all that well. If inio wanted to expand on pegasus I think the characters would have to be out of the ordinary, considering pegasus had super powers and stuff.
>>
>>138628914
>they're not being invaded
guys can literally take appearances of humans and their speech and freeloads in their homes for 3 years already
>>
>>138628914
If the alien's goal was to conquer, even if they didn't have any weapons or soldiers, they could just slowly power down their engines and they'd "win" by crushing the city below. There's never been any indication that anyone's been harmed by the aliens, it's always some human weapon overshot or shot down a smaller alien ship which crashed. There's never been anything resembling an alien weapon and the human soldiers are under orders to keep everything they see and do a top secret.

Humanity being destroyed in X days is probably when the alien equivalent of a coast guard rescue ship shows up, gets pissed off at seeing a bunch of primitives killing helpless stranded tourists or colonists and uses an actual weapon on the planet.
>>
>>138629282
you do know there's more than a city right? There's the entire world and there's people.
>>
>>138629191
I guess in that sense they're being invaded, but that's more along the lines of Mexicans invading america. It's a different definition from the military invasion that the press uses. Keep in mind the press doesn't know the invaders can take human form and deny that the aliens have survived in the contaminated zone as refugees.

But as far as military invasion goes, I believe that was the original intent of the aliens, or at least the pretense given by the alien government, whether it was intentionally doomed to failure as cape claims, or an underestimation of humanity.
>>
>>138629834
You're trying to apply human standards/logic to an extraterrestrial lifeform why exactly? They're alien.

Stop comparing it to the real world. It's still an invasion.
>>
>It's a "humans are the real bad guys" chapter
>>
>>138628403
Shit, Inio's doing the backgrounds is pretty impressive. People thinking he is just tracing, are idiots.
>>
>>138630000
All of it is largely tracing with some modifications by him.
>>
>>138630000
>>138630388
But it still requires skill, skill is limitless so I don't see why people have a hate boner against tracing
>>
>>138629920
I'm just applying the in-universe definition the humans have to the invaders. I'm not talking about any sort of comparison to real life. In the manga the media is referring to them as invaders, at the very least with the stigma of military invasion, despite how inapt the term is, which is emphasized be the manga. The term is used to help justify the government's treatment of them.

Especially when you consider the translation from Japanese, I don't believe the second definition of invasion is meant to be implied. I know there's a couple different writings at least for it in Japanese though, so maybe I've been wrongly interpreting that. If somebody could check what word is used in Japanese it would be helpful, I might be able to look that shit up this evening, too.
>>
>>138630529
I'm not hating, just correcting you. It's a lot of tracing.
>>
>>138627233
What makes his wors good is the characters, though.
>>
>>138630598
Ah that wasn't me, nor did I imply you hated tracing, it was more of a general statement against the stigma.
>>
>>138630598
Tracing is not when you are using translucent paper to copy something?
>>
>>138630598
But it kinda sounds a little butthurt, and I am aware about the tracing, and that's why is an impressive work.
>>
>>138630722
Butthurt about what? I'm not an artist. Just pointing out that despite his art being very good and detailed, lots of the backgrounds, if not all, are traced.
>>
speaking of butthurt consolefags BTFO by this manga
>>
>>138629930
>It's a "humans are the real bad guys" manga
>>
>>138629930
>>138631064
Not sure how you got that from chapter 31.

For all we know the invaders could be human kids from an alternate reality.
>>
>>138631153
dude, for all we know this could all be a dream. For all we know the aliens could be hyper-intelligent dogs.

But yeah, I don't think chapter 31 was really about that or humans in general.
Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 20

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.