[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do people say Erased? What idiot gave it a stupid name like
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 5
Why do people say Erased? What idiot gave it a stupid name like that? Can they even read Japanese? "Boku Dake ga Inai Machi" means "The Town Without Me", not Erased. This is the most retarded translation of an anime title I've ever seen.
>>
>>138564919
>This is the most retarded translation of an anime title I've ever seen

You haven't seen much.
>Demon King Daimao
>Cat Planet Cuties
>>
>>138564919
>>138565172
let's not forget the ass backwards
>Suisei no Garugantia
>Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet
>>
>>138564919
what would you name it?
>>
>>138565736
"The Town Without Me in It" like how it should be. A translation of the actual name.
>>
>>138564919
An english title translated from the japanese can often sound clumsy, doesn't work for marketing, or doesn't convey some pun or idiomatic meaning that was present in the original title.

e.g.
>>138565766
>"The Town Without Me in It"
sounds ham-fisted as fuck in english
>>
>>138565837
it's anime, it's a niche thing, the only people who give a shit know enough not to be offput by it
>>
It's the official English title, retarded as it may be.
>>
>>138564919
Attack on Titan is a pretty bad one.
Makes it sound like there is a place called Titan that someone is attacking. Or that Titan is some emperor. "Titan Attack" would sound wonky, to be sure, but Attack of the Titans would have made way more sense.
>>
Five fucking threads; kill yourself.
>>
>>138565708
>verdurous planet
>everything's water
I can't help but give it style points for verdurous, even if it makes no sense.
>>
>>138565896
>Makes it sound like there is a place called Titan that someone is attacking.
This is what I thought at first when I read the title. I thought it was going to be a space opera.
>>
>>138565896
You think that's bad? You should look up how they had to handle that line where they do the title drop
>>
>>138565961
>title drop
why is this allowed
>>
>>138565931
>psycho-pass
Though I suppose that's closer to shitty wasei-eigo
>>
>>138565996
Because Japanese can't write for shit.
>>
>>138564919
It's a bad name, but it's a good meme
>>
>>138565837
At least its a real translation
>>
The Japanese name translates really awkwardly, we just don't have the equivalent of that grammatical structure. I like to just use the Japanese name, personally, but 'Erased' gives a suitable impression for a mystery series.
>>
>>138564919
>Good luck girl
>Binbougami ga
>>
>My Bride is a Mermaid
>>
>>138565961
In Japanese or Eng dub?
>>
>>138565996
English shows do this as well
>>
>Robotech
>>
>Full Metal Alchemist
>>
>>138567552
>cow way
nice try, cous
>>
The Town Where Only I Am Missing. In other words, only he was "Erased". On an unrelated note, how far into it are you?
>>
>>138565766
Actually, if this was truncated to
>The Town Without Me
it would work.
>>
>>138567658
This>>138567758
>>
>>138565837
>doesn't work for marketing
This is why whichever licensee snapped it up changed it. They predicted it would be a hit with Western audiences as suspense thrillers are popular and trending over here. The Town Without Me is cumbersome to type and abbreviating it to The Town or the acronym TTWM lacks recognizability and identity. Erased is easy to type, remember, and generally communicates the same theme as the Japanese title while also playing up the suspense thriller angle. Still pisses me off though.
>>
>>138567552
Kill yourself, cancer.
>>
>>138567787
The fact that it's only him that's missing is important.
>>
Shit translation for a shit anime.
>>
thanks
>>
>>138567552
Why would you recommend Erased when you could tell your cousin to watch a good show?
>>
>>138568039
>Nagi
>not having shit tastes and brain damages
Anon, what did you expect from a retard?
>>
>>138566083
>>138564919
>real translation
Why are stupid weebs who only know one language allowed to have opinions on translations. And no, memorizing a bunch of japanese does not make you knowledgeable.
>>
>>138568168
Not OP, but I've been studying Japanese for 5 years and this shit pisses me off. So I think I have more than enough authority on this.
>>
You guys think this will have hopefully a different ending than the manga?
>>
>>138568202
I'm a japanese man born and raised in glorious nippon , I got this
>>
>>138565931

The water in Gargantia was green. I know connotation wise we tend to use verdurous or verdant in english to refer to greenery more often that not, but the japanese don't understand that so they aren't locked in by the same thought process, which I find interesting. I mean, the word can be used to describe copious amounts of the color green anyways. In any case I think that title's pretty on the mark, or at least really just not that bad.
>>
>>138568202
what is wrong with changing the name?
>>
>All You Need Is Kill
>Edge of Tomorrow
>>
>>138568525
It's a complete mistranslation. No, its worse than that. It's literally lying to the watcher and telling them that the title of the show is one thing when its completely the other thing.
>>
>>138566992
Only colossal faggots have a problem with this.
>>
File: 1431440698901.jpg (46 KB, 418x507) Image search: [Google]
1431440698901.jpg
46 KB, 418x507
>>138564919
Retarded title localization thread?

>SNAFU
>Girls beyond the youth KOYA
>>
>>138564919
Maybe if people like you were the people who paid to watch the show they'd care.

But no, people like you pirate it, and so they market it towards people who don't care as much about the japanese title, because those people give them their money.
>>
>>138568741
And I'm saying that if they were actually serious about localization and translation, they would give a real translation instead of a shitty one pulled from their asses
>>
>>138568717

>My Teen Romcom SNAFU

I see nothing wrong with this title. It's accurate and more concise than the japanese.
>>
>>138568782
They're serious about making money. You already know that.
>>
>>138565868
I agree with this, but to be honest
"The Town without Me" actually sounds like a decent name, whilst edgy.
the own without me in it seems a bit too drawn out.
>>
>>138568603
If you actually give a shit this much about a fucking title for a show that's not even really all that good, holy fuck anon, do I have something to tell you you have autism.
>>
>>138568811
>hur dur its all about money
You do realize Crunchyroll employees are paid to localize anime right?
>>
>>138568603
Mistranslation implies that the translator made a mistake in translating the text. However, in this case, it would be a calculated change. There are literally countless translated works that have used different names, for many different reasons. Perhaps they decided the name was too long, without having a good ring to it. Perhaps Erased was a good word in terms of marketability. Whatever the reason may be, a title is not poetry. This is not the same as changing a line of prose into a single word. Nor is it the case of changing a character's name from Satoru to Greg. The title is simple, its original form having importance context wise, but not composition wise. Also, it is not lying at all, considering that while a translated work is the 'same' work as its original, it exists as a different version entirely
>>
>>138568848

What's your point?
>>
>>138568848
Changing the title is also localization.
>>
>>138568356
And now that I check, Suisei is green. And the water is pretty green. Welp,can't argue with that.

In a way, that makes me like the translation even more. Verdurous is accurate. But it's an unusual word, so people won't think "but the world is all water" right away.
>>
>>138568202
You really think so after 5 years? I native speak a euro language and know americans who studied it for over 5 years. I would not trust them to translate much. and there are much greater similarities between french and english than english and japanese. You can't just fucking plug and chug translations. Assuming you haven't spent a significant amount of time in Japan over those past 5 years you don't have much authority imo.
This language overconfidence is by far worse among anime fans than anywhere else I have seen.
>>
>>138569006
It's more time than most /a/nons outside of Weekly Japanese Threads is all I'm saying. The fact that I can correctly translate the original title just proves my point.
>>
>>138569015

True, but now we actually get this stuff in a timely fashion and with a fraction of the drama.
>>
>>138569015
And I don't remember one time you're not a pathetic cunt.
>>
That's the translation the author himself produced, which is why it's so retarded.
It's not so much a translation as an english name.
>>
Erased isn't the worst thing out there.

But yeah, I think they should've just went with "The Town Without Me"
>>
>>138569015
Yep

>Waiting years for translation
>Episodes left untranslated when there's some drama between subgroups

Good times.
>>
File: IMG_20160312_152950.jpg (83 KB, 534x634) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160312_152950.jpg
83 KB, 534x634
>>138569180
Remember to change your clock 1 hour ahead, French bread aka pr0x aka kusanagi aka the gay mod that got fired LOL
>>
>>138568717
>Girls beyond the youth KOYA
That's not retarded localization; it's the title being run through Google Translate and dropped into the opening credits before even trying to sell the show outside Japan.
>>
>>138569366
Seriously? That's the first time I've ever heard of that. Why the fuck would they do that
>>
>>138567513
What's wrong with that name?
>>
>>
>>138569420
It's engrish.
>>
>>138564919
>"Boku Dake ga Inai Machi" means "The Town Without Me", not Erased
Niggerstream kill yourself
>>
>>138569363
Seriously, kill yourself, avatarfag.
>>
>>138568717
>>Girls beyond the youth KOYA
You know there's a problem when I can understand the Japanese title better than the English one.
>>
Why is there going to be alive action of this show? Why must Japan always ruin shit with live action crap. Literally no live action shows based on anime have been good. You can't make real people act or look like anime characters without it being cringe worthy as fuck. To that effect, why are all Japanese live action movies so shit? Does NO ONE there know how to make convincing CGI? Like fuck, all they can do is anime.
>>
>>138564919
"Erased" is actually a pretty decent title for it. Dramatic enough, implies the same kinds of things about the plot. "The Town Without Me" is serviceable, but a bit awkward in English.

As others point out, there are plenty of English titles that are pretty dumb; this is nowhere near that level. And even some of those examples are still arguably better than a direct translation or just leaving it in Japanese.
>>
>>138569643
Doesn't it mean "In Regards To Only Me, Not There Town", like "Candy Town" or "Machine Town"? Something along those lines. Japanese doesn't really translate well to English.
>>
>>138570182
The 2013 Space Pirate Captain Harlock movie had some pretty great CG.
The story was absolute ass, unfortunately.
>>
>>138569415

The japanese don't know english. They do it because they think english looks nice in a decorative capacity, so they throw stuff like that onto their titles.
>>
>>138565961
>Armin, we really are Attack on Titan
>>
>>138570292
More like "the town where only I am gone".
>>
Shitty English names help differentiate the plebs that call it by the English name.
>>
>>138570397

More like, "The town where only I don't exist"
>>
>>138569217
I don't get the title. In what way is he not int the town? And which town? The present or future one? Doesn't his body exist in both the past and the present, but his consciousness is in the past? Should have called it "Toki No Tantei".
>>
Nothing beats "Baka and Test: Summon the Beasts" for shitty English titles
>>
>>138570516
Superior english title coming through
"me only exist not town"
>>
>>138570182
Gantz was decent
>>
Why are Pokemon called Pokemon, and not Pocket Monsters? Didn't the West come up with that name?
>>
>>138570856
Pokemon was the official abbreviation in Japanese.
>>
>>138570856
wasei-eigo
>>
>>138570856

It's called Pokeymon in america. They localized it for little kids.
>>
>>138564919
autism
>>
He erased the original timeline by winning again Yashiro. Thus the title
Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.