[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: Anime that would have a solid live action adaptation of.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4
File: 138991233_orig.jpg (325 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
138991233_orig.jpg
325 KB, 1600x900
ITT: Anime that would have a solid live action adaptation of.

Pic related. What? If Toonami has yet to show this (seems like a no brainer, and yes I know of episodes 7 and 8), this would fit on HBO pretty nicely (live action or as is). We all need something to justify our purchase of the channel once Game Of Thrones is over.
>>
>this would fit on HBO pretty nicely

Except HBO actually airs good shows.
>>
>>138483690
What about season 1 by itself?
>>
>>138483690
But Psycho Pass is a good show
>>
Gantz or battle royale
>>
Welcome to the NHK
>>
File: 1457388147371.jpg (48 KB, 519x419) Image search: [Google]
1457388147371.jpg
48 KB, 519x419
>>138484433
>gantz
>live action
>solid
>>
Planetes would be perfect
>>
>>138483690

has HBO made anything decent since The Wire?
>>
>>138484484
Boardwalk Empire, Treme, Show me a Hero.
>>
MONSTER

which by the way Guillermo del Toro apparently wanted to make an HBO adaptation of, but it fell through
>>
>>138484444
Pls, no.
>>
>>138484476
especially with popular space films like Gravity, Interstellar, and The Martian I bet it could do really well
>>
i think without the animation Psycho Pass would be pretty lackluster. there isn't really anything discussed that isn't in your run-of-the-mill PKD-inspired sci-fi. Wouldn't it basically just be Minority Report + Law and Order?

I mean, it COULD be good if it was done right, but it would have to change too much. Some things just don't work in live action that do when animated. So you either piss off the fans by changing the tone or you make a mediocre show worthy of SyFy.
>>
A bit off topic but

>kagari actually died

I was expecting the guy to show up later but I was tricked, rused, and bamboozled. I was literally waiting until the last episode.
>>
Stein's Gate
>>
>>138483618
The problem with live action it's that for sci fi shows like this one the special effects would look like shit because of restricted tv budget.
>>
>>138484562
Pretty much. The only reason people, and by people I mean newfags, care about PP is because "is mature and is not moe shit like every other anime". Characters and plot were average at best.

There are already lots of 3DPD shows like PP.
>>
>>138484624
Game Of Thrones seemed to be just fine.
>>
>>138484767
until they changed it to fanfiction
>>
I feel like the Ghost in the Shell live action could be great if they actually treat it like a proper crime thriller the way the anime does. Mostly deadpan detective work and drama with those nice little splashes of humor and great action scenes to make it. It could also be a horrible abomination though...

A well written feature length GitS movie with good effects + actually exploring interesting sci fi philosophy would make me cream my pants though.
>>
>>138484607
Came here to post this.
>>
>>138484518
ugh i'm glad though, just think of how hbo would butcher that
>>
>>138484576
I was convinced he and the gook were both alive, because the gook seemed suspicious as fuck.
>>
>>138484767
But game of thrones is their flagship series, so they put a lot of money into it.
I doubt a live action adaption of some anime would receive the same treatment.
>>
>>138484857
>>138484607
>implying
Ruka and Mayushii would be unbearable in 3D.
>>
Movies?

Perfect Blue (was originally going to be live action but budget)
Jin Roh
Sword of the Stranger
Tokyo Godfathers
Millennium Actress
>>
File: 1450102528067.jpg (69 KB, 306x331) Image search: [Google]
1450102528067.jpg
69 KB, 306x331
>>138484607
>All of the 2chan references get localized into memes
>>
>>138485001
Someone post the bit where Kon talks about why he doesn't do live-action. Also, Jin-Roh's shit if you remove the animation quality.
>>
>>138484840

Honestly though what makes shows like GITS (SAC at least) and PP tolerable is the animation though. Imagine GITS but instead of awesome hand drawn animation it's all B-list actors and crap CGI worthy of NCIS. No matter how well written it is, it's gonna just look shit.

For instance there would be no way to make the "fingers explode into a bunch of tiny little fingers for accelerated typing" thing look not cheesy IRL, even with great CGI. You'd have to end up changing things too much and that would piss off your fans.

As far as I'm concerned there has never been a decent live action adaptation of an anime because of it.. part of what makes these shows good is the animation. It's just like the new Jungle Book movie. is anyone excited? once you take away the charm and aesthetic that animation brings you're usually left with something fairly basic.

the ONLY way it could be pulled off is if a master director had final cut and got his hands on the IP, but that'll never happen, and it would end up pissing off fans just like EoE did.
>>
>>138485001
Just because it has realist art/animation doesn't mean it'd work as well in 3D.
>>
>>138484607
Fuck no. R;N is actually more suited for it.
>yfw we got Chaos;Head live action instead
>>
>>138485061
Obviously it's not the same, ScarJo is never going to tear her arms off trying to open that tank in the first movie for example. But I think a passable adaptation is possible if the writers cherry pick from more suitable types of scenes. In many cases it's just normal shoot em up style action, just with a little bit of "ooh cool technology" to spice it up.
>>
>>138485240
yeah well i hate that. PP and GITS may not be the deepest things ever but seeing them relegated to basic Michael Bay shit is the worst.

ScarJo not ripping her arms off pulling a tank apart is exactly why a live action GITS will suck. Instead she'll just look pretty and have a body double do a bunch of Matrix moves.

part of what I like about Motoko is that she is very sexy and feminine but also kind of scary in how superhuman she is. perhaps they'll get that across in an adaptation, but I doubt it very much.
>>
File: image.jpg (65 KB, 498x536) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
65 KB, 498x536
>>138483618
It hasn't aired on the block yet, but people have been kicking around that suggestion for the last two years.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.