[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How does anime generate revenue for their respective producers?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2
File: 1312324234235.jpg (30 KB, 640x361) Image search: [Google]
1312324234235.jpg
30 KB, 640x361
How does anime generate revenue for their respective producers? It seems like right now they can't be very profitable. No one buys DVDs anymore especially people who are in the anime community ( because we are usually much younger than the general populace). No major networks will air anime for obvious reasons. The only place they can do well is streaming services, and I don't really know how profitable that kind of thing is. I just can't figure out how they can make money.

My main concern is that it simply isn't profitable, and if it's not profitable then no new good content will be created.

I'm coming at this from a western point of view. So, I'm sure it might be different in Japan, but that market is much smaller than the U.S. and other countries.
>>
Do you not actually know anything about the industry? Essentially everything you've said is wrong.
>>
Upfront payment + royalties from related sales over a certain period.

Reputation is an asset, so being able to provide a record of your contract with a reputable company has its own advantages.
>>
>and if it's not profitable then no new good content will be created.

Yeah, that's why there aren't any new shows airing next season.
>>
Literally every cent of Japan's GDP goes into anime.
>>
>>138450644
>I'm coming at this from a western point of view
I had a feeling this was the case.
>>
>>138450710
I know absolutely nothing. I'm just a big fan who has degree in finance and was just drunkenly thinking about this.
>>
>>138450790
The Western market is largely irrelevant. Streaming sites like Crunchyroll and Funi pay a flat-rate licensing cost to the respective anime distribution companies, but this isn't where most studios would get their revenue from.

Anime fans in Japan do buy BDs. Those BDs tend to be very expensive so they don't get huge sales numbers, but those sales are important. And large TV networks in Japan do air anime; it's just usually late at night (traditionally from just before midnight through the early hours of the morning). And then you have merchandise sales and the like. If Western fans want to support the industry, they are better off buying figs from Japan than a CR subscription.

And in some cases, it doesn't really matter if an anime is profitable because it merely serves as a means to advertise the source material.
>>
>>138450644

It's like a contract work. Publishers of OPM manga paid Madhouse to do an anime for the purpose of advertising the series & increasing manga volume sales. They were already paid & Madhouse had a small budget to work with. Only reason OPM looked good despite this was thanks to the passionate animators involved.

Read this.
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/feature/2015-11-11/the-secret-of-one-punch-man-success/.95251
>>
>>138450790
>has a degree in finance
>doesn't bother even checking sales statistics that are available on Google
Just how drunk are you?
>>
>>138450644
Most of the money for studios comes from Japan.
>>
>>138450875
>>138450945
While I understand where you guys are coming from, and I'm sure they do well enough to stay solvent (for now), it has to be increasingly hard to make a buck in the industry.

>>138450978
I'm pretty blasted. I looked up some numbers and I think I saw that the anime industry is only doing 500 mil annually. So take away shit like pokemon and what are you left with?
>>
>>138451131
>it has to be increasingly hard to make a buck in the industry.

Then I guess the question is why we're season progressively more anime aired every year and every season. It certainly doesn't seem as if studios are scaling back their production at the moment.
>>
>>138450945
>>138450875
Not OP, but I guess that is also the reason why so few original anime get made?
If your anime is an original story then there's no manga or LN to promote, so you're not getting any financial support from publishers. That makes it a bigger financial risk and the BD sales are actually really important in cases like that. Is that the reason?
>>
>>138451155
> why we're seeing progressively more anime aired every year and every season.

I actually haven't really noticed that.

After some quick google searching apparently it's not only me who is concerned.
>>
>>138451131
>So take away shit like pokemon and what are you left with?
I'm pretty sure Pokemon doesn't really count on the anime finance because it's a game before everything. The anime is here only to ad for the games. Even the anime BD prices are substantially lower than for other anime.
>>
>I'm coming at this from a western point of view. So, I'm sure it might be different in Japan

Which it is. Every assumption in your post is completely wrong.
>>
>>138451309
>After some quick google searching apparently it's not only me who is concerned.

But are those informed opinions you're reading. That is, is there some understanding of how the cashflow in the industry is looking?
>>
>>138451413
I think it is difficult to gauge. I'm just kind of looking at it from a financial point of view and it seems like it doesn't make much sense to finance original anime.
>>
>>138451552
>it seems like it doesn't make much sense to finance original anime.

It probably really doesn't, which is we only get a few of them per year.
>>
>>138451552
The western market isn't the target audience, it isn't relied on in the fucking least by the japanese anime industry. The japanese anime industry mainly rely on otakus and LN sales, which it seems to be doing perfectly alright on
>>
Original anime are still made because promoting sales of source material isn't the only way to profit from anime. For example, shows like Love Live make a killing from music and other merchandise. Mecha shows get to sell toys. Some originals are done as multi-medium projects, with coordinated releases of anime, manga and video games. There are all sorts of ways to make money, and any combination of these could be enough to convince producers to invest the money.

This season alone we have Active Raid, Bubuki Buranki, Komugi-chan, Sekkou Boys, Shoujo-tachi wa Kouya wo Mezasu, Sushi Police, and Tabi Machi Late Show. Then there are other shows that have "source material" but are practically original, such as PSO2, or the mobage shows like Divine Gate and Luck and Logic.
>>
>>138451995
>Shoujo-tachi wa Kouya wo Mezasu
Wasn't that a VN?
>>
>>138452016
I believe the VN isn't out yet. It's one of those multi-media things I was talking about.
>>
>>138452082
Oh, right, was it a demo or something that was released that people played?
>>
>>138452096
Yeah, seems like it. According to VNDB, the demo came out in October last year, and the full thing is set to release on the 25th this month.
>>
File: 1360631954614.jpg (446 KB, 1440x1280) Image search: [Google]
1360631954614.jpg
446 KB, 1440x1280
>>138450644
They make shitty resin sculptures that cost 3 cents to produce and sell them for 70 dollars. PBS donation prizes are less of a ripoff.
>>
>>138452224
Phosphate Buffer Saline ?
>>
>>138452293
I think anon meant PVA, as in the shitty kids arts and craft glue.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.