[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do you think of subtitles that change the meaning of Japanese
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 5
File: 1455862730978.jpg (185 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1455862730978.jpg
185 KB, 1280x720
What do you think of subtitles that change the meaning of Japanese words? Things like itadakimasu turning into "mmm yummy!"
>>
The Japanese language is very boring
>>
>>138425213
there is no "itadakimasu" in cultures other than nip
>>
What do you want them to do, put an unnecessary TL note?
If words have no proper equivalent in english you either leave them in nip or go for something that sounds fitting and retains some of the meaning.
If you don't like that, you learn nip.
>>
>>138425890
Well since they always put their hands together like praying when they say it, the translation could have them say Grace instead.
>>
liberal translations have always been shit
people try to justify it by saying oh you're not losing anything important, it still conveys the same message and doesn't change the story or whatever but it's just so damn cringey when a tl tries to over-westernize shit
like, i'm watching anime for fuck's sake, you can leave in honorifics and i know what "senpai" means
>>
>>138426378
You're actually losing a huge amount of things even with the most literal translations. Things like specific character traits inside the dialogue are impossible to translate, and when you try to anyway you make the characters sound like they have some sort of speech impediment.
You're loosing shit anyway, so it's better to make a liberal translation that still retains the meaning while making it sound natural.
Of course with shit like honorifics and senpai it's better to just leave it alone.
>>
>>138425267
I thought it just meant thanks for the food, people say that in other languages
>>
File: pottercovers.jpg (149 KB, 607x321) Image search: [Google]
pottercovers.jpg
149 KB, 607x321
>>138425213

Conversion of idiomatic references to relatable concepts is not necessarily a bad thing.
>>
>>138425267
Closest equivalent would be blessings on food in Abrahamic religions.
>>
>>138425213
so what, you think itadakimasu should always translate to "I humbly receive"?
>>
>>138425213

How can you change the meaning if there's no meaning outside Japan? Like itadakimasu, desu, senpai, chan, kun, sama, san, sensei, senpai, are are, ora ora, the prefix O.

Also, when the dialect changes a lot from region to region, and unless you are somewhat prolific with japanese can differentiate.

I prefer a translation that still makes sense and I hate the TL Notes unless is something particulary difficult, like the puns from Yuru Yuri.

Anyway, thanks for posting best girl
>>
>>138425213
I think it translates well into polish "Smacznego!" which means more or less 'have a good taste/meal' and is said mostly before eating so almost identical to itadakimasu, iam suprised other cultures dont have something similiar
>>
>>138425213
Rub a dub!

It makes no sense as for anyone who watches these kinds of shit would know their meaning.

Anyway, I don't watch translated shit.
>>
>>138426302
Grace has religious implications, none of which exist for Japanese meals. It'd be a poor choice to localize itadakimasu as that. "Thanks for the meal" is usually good enough, but the truth is that it's a Japanese cultural thing so people who watch anime and read manga in bulk should know what it is without having to be told/localized.

>>138426378
This is your preference, and everyone has their preference. That's why there's always big arguments about the validity of literal translations vs liberal ones, and for the most part I personally think it's a case-by-case basis whether something should be changed or maintained. That said, if you want things to be 100% literal you may as well just learn Japanese, it's a little overwhelming but it is far from difficult.
>>
>>138427988
there are many other cultures that have something similar.
>>
>>138425267
>>138427532

>what is bon apetit
>>
in spanish you say "buen provecho"
>>
>>138429542
meant to reply to >>138425267
>>
>>138425267
It could be localized to "let's eat" really easily.
But fuck it, unless you're 4Kids trying to convince children that Japan is a myth there's harm in "thanks for the food" or just leaving it as "itadakimasu" especially if the show in question takes place in the real world in real japan
>>
>>138429155
We've been over this, bon appetit is different because it's something you address to others.
>>
>>138429770
You say this as if the use of "itadakimasu" is super specific and impirtant in anime.
In most cases it's not. It's just a Japanese cultural nuance, in most cases changing it doesn't really do much.
That said, there's no real need TO change it - but I don't fault translators for doing so in most cases.
>>
>>138430005
The point is that if a character says itadakimasu to themselves, bon appetit doesn't work.
>>
RUB A DUB DUB, LETS EAT SOME GRUB!
>>
>>138425267
In Romania we have "Pofta buna", and that's close.
>>
I've found that the people who most complain about translations is people who only speaks one language and learned about two words in another language.
Dealing with people who doesn't speaks your language and having to make them understand what you're saying would teach you that translating word by word from one language to another is a bad idea.
>>
>>138430720
>translating word by word from one language to another is a bad idea.
I thought this was common knowledge? there's a reason we can't just use Google Translate for everything
>>
File: 1448058718637.gif (134 KB, 340x340) Image search: [Google]
1448058718637.gif
134 KB, 340x340
>complaining about subs
>not just learning japanese
>>
>>138430909
I'll bait, any recommendation for learning japanese?
>>
>>138425213
> I'm digging in
>Rub-a-dub dub, thanks for the grub
>>
>>138431037
>>138430853
>>
>not knowing Japanese

retards
>>
Here's the plan:

We take not so big anime and manga and translate it ourselves not knowing any japanese whatsoever just give it a coherent story and roll with bullshit

Push it as the literal translation and tell everyone it's great anime/manga

Not sure what the purpose of this would be but I'd find it entertaining especially if people believe it's legit
>>
>>138431676
That could be a pretty interesting project actually, give a bunch of people who dont speak a word of Nip some untranslated manga and get them to insert story and dialogue to match the pictures
>>
>>138431410
So I wasn't lurking enough, thanks based anon
>>
>>138431676
And then someone who actually knows Japanese calls you out on your completely made up translation
>>
>>138432220

That's why you use not very well known material.

But also it doesn't matter if somebody calls you out on it you can just claim they're JEALOUS and LYING and also just ignore it because it doesn't matter anyway since it's just a bit of fun and not something serious.
>>
File: 1450424450022.png (3 MB, 2068x2176) Image search: [Google]
1450424450022.png
3 MB, 2068x2176
>>138431676
It's not like scanlation groups don't guess translate already.
You've probably been exposed to this more often than you think.
>>
>>138425213
Why is she wearing Accelerator's shirt?
>>
>>138433092
That's fucking horrible. I hope that's not the only version out there.
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.