[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Did /a/ catch "Boy and the Beast" this weekend? h
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 3
File: batb.jpg (70 KB, 400x600) Image search: [Google]
batb.jpg
70 KB, 400x600
Did /a/ catch "Boy and the Beast" this weekend?

http://www.funimationfilms.com/movie/the-boy-and-the-beast/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0NDXOeb-lY

I just saw it. It's like Hosada read a bunch of furry comics like "Omaha" and "Albedo" and decided to make a movie using that type of superanthropomophized furries.

Great animation for the fight scenes, and I liked how the beast world was so casual with the human world. But too much of the script is exposition.

It's like an anime "Zootopia", or "Kung Fu Panda".
>>
What's this? Hosoda makes a movie for kids that's not bad but not especially good? What a shocker!
>>
>>138278885
i was actually thinking of seeing it this afternoon
>>
>>138279957
It could be a lot better. But there are too many scenes of characters literally standing around and telling the audience what's going on with them. Ren's girlfriend did that especially.
>>
>>138280051
That's just Japanese storytelling in general. Nips have no idea how to convey information in any way other than characters explicitly stating that information.
>>
File: boy.jpg (126 KB, 1281x722) Image search: [Google]
boy.jpg
126 KB, 1281x722
How does such a string bean have the physical strength to be a master fighter?
>>
>>138278885
Subs when
>>
I'll probably catch the sub sometime this week
>>
How do you keep track of these showings?
>>
>>138281943
http://www.moviefone.com

Just type in your zip code.
>>
SHOULD I GO SEE IT TODAY
Y/N?
>>
Local theater wasn't playing it, which is unfortunate since they normally always get the anime movies. Will have to keep waiting to see this one. At least Only Yesterday is confirmed.
>>
>>138283148
>Only Yesterday
Hot damn, in a theather two miles from my house.

>Sunday- 10:30am
>hipster cinema with tiny rooms
>>
Hosoda should just direct digimon again
>>
I liked it. I missed the first 15 minutes but there's lots of flashbacks so it's easy to follow.
>>
>>138280119
>jintai
>gsg
>yys
>mushishi
>hoozuki
>saint onii-san
>ssy
>tenshi no tamago
>uchouten kazoku
You've watched too much shounen and are making a generalization on anime with a limited perspective desu.
>>
>>138278885
I saw it. Pretty good.

But it didnt really have any waifus so /a/ doesn't care about it. Go figure.
>>
YIFF IN HELL

SAGE
>>
>>138286736
I bet you like OPM

what a retard desu
>>
>>138278885
It was pretty good.
>>
>>138286610
>shounen
Fucking NGE does this, don't act like only shitty anime is incapable of subtlety.
>>
>>138286736
It has almost no release at the moment. Threads will pick up when it's better available for download.
>>
>>138286802
OPM was pretty good, yeah.
Got a problem with that?
>>
Not bad, a father/son relationship movie. Voice acting was script reading tier for too many side characters.

The thing about the boar guys kid made you think you should have noticed it sooner.
>>
>>138287829
I was noticing when he first was shown. His face wasn't furry and he was wearing one of those weird animal hats.
>>
>>138288967
I kinda assumed that his mum would look more like him, but then it turned out I was wrong
>>
>>138289144
Yeah, Ichirohiko and Ren were the only ones that there that looked human, so my though process was either his mother was human or he was just human in the same situation Ren was in. And Ren seemed awfully slow to pick up on it even when he saw the darkness.
>>
>>138280119
Nah thats just you only watching shonen/moe
But maybe this is why people have trouble understanding stuff like Chars Counter Attack
>>
>>138289522
See >>138287512
Nips generally fucking suck at storytelling.
>>
>>138291162
Says who?
>>
>>138278885
Wasn't his best film, felt a bit lacking in the middle/end. Didn't focus on building the relationship between Ren and Kumatetsu enough I think nor the spirit world enough imo. Ren literally became another Gohan at the end which sorta ruined his character for me.
>>
>>138278885
>be me
>mad excited for new Hosoda movie in 2014
>hoping it's sci-fi again like Girl Who Leapt Through Time and Summer Wars
>it's furry shit again
>no
>I mean Wolf Children was great, probably his best film but
>I wanted sci-fi or something like Digimon
>not fur
>check Japanese blogs and 2ch and reviews, no one is really excited about it
>when it comes out, next to no excitement
>nowhere near as popular as SW or WC
>people don't even talk about it
Disappointed desu
>>
Does anyone has any good subtitles for the japanese release?
>>
File: 1317024527076.jpg (865 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
1317024527076.jpg
865 KB, 1024x768
>>138293535
There's none atm unless you want to sit through watching the terrible one thats on a torrent online.

Question for the rest of you, did you have the option of dub or sub at your local theater? Personally enjoyed the movie though, some online reviews were complaining about the final part of the movie yet hints about it were dropped since the start.
>>
>>138293633
No choice, couldn't even find out going in which it was. Turned out to be subs.

I liked the movie well enough, the soundtrack was killer, the cgi crowd shots were pretty lame, but I couldn't help but feel like there was a better movie in there somewhere. The stuff about human darkness, Moby Dick, sword in the heart, reincarnating as japanese gods, Ren/Kyuta's inner demons, all of it felt disjointed and prone to disappearing from the plot when important. Moby Dick as an actual thematic symbol is entirely absent until the end, it feels like. They could've used that more with the various goals of the characters (Ren wanting to be stronger, Kumatetsu wanting to beat Iozen, etc.) being reflections of their attempts to overcome themselves and that whole "evil super powers" thing the humans, apparently, have. The MC's a little shit for a third of the movie, but in between the two instances of his shadowy reflection, there's absolutely nothing about the "inner darkness" that's got the furries so rustled. Not even his hatred of his family and being abandoned. Ichirohiko goes from helpful to murderous with little on screen buildup. Then Ren/Kyuta somehow figures out he can suck Ichirohiko's darkness into himself? Really, as long as the movie is, it feels like it needed more time or much tighter writing to flesh everything out. Or a smaller scope. I'm sure critics of the movie have already stated that they could've thrown out the whole final fight with Ichirohiko.

Also, how the fuck did no one recognize that Ichirohiko was a human? I mean christ, they recognize Ren on sight, but Ichirohiko apparently flew under the radar for years?
>>
Sub when.
>>
>>138278885
>shilling for FUNi
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.