[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why didnt they just draw him like a normal person?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 103
Thread images: 6
File: Goodnight Punpun v13 p252-253.png (68 KB, 2317x1600) Image search: [Google]
Goodnight Punpun v13 p252-253.png
68 KB, 2317x1600
Why didnt they just draw him like a normal person?
>>
>>138201710
Cause the artist was lazy :^)
>>
>>138201710
Easier to self-insert.
>>
why is the "Runaway" arc feels so out of place unlike the rest of the story? both of them went into a complete 180.
>>
>>138201726
Don't use emoticons on /a/.
>>
File: 1455697538.jpg (41 KB, 516x339) Image search: [Google]
1455697538.jpg
41 KB, 516x339
>>138201856
>self-insert
>>
>>138201856
>self inserting into a miserable motherfucker
Sounds logical. Really the reason would probably be this >>138201856
and also the symbolic meaning of it.
>>
>>138201856
>character with volume
>self insert
were you dropped when you were little?
to relate to is one thing but anon..
>>
>>138202089
There is no symbolic meaning. He was drawn like that to be artsy partsy for the sake of artsy partsy, and as a result, edgy teenagers like yourself claim it to be deep.

It's an average manga, and nowhere near the greatest of all time.
>>
>>138202134
Who said it was deep or the greatest of all time? Something about this manga seems to have triggered you.
>>
Its to trick unassuming readers into an abyss of suffering. 10/10
>>
>>138202249
>Who said it was deep or the greatest of all time?
Newfag idiot detected. Lurk more.
>>
>>138201710
Because he's not normal?
>>
>>138201710
Maybe to add to the surrealness of the manga while at the same time lightening up some of the darker stuff a bit? It's easier to see something horrible if it's presented in such a cartoonish way instead of in the style Asano uses for the other characters.

Snippets from an interview
https://mangabrog.wordpress.com/2014/07/06/inio-asano-interview-reality-is-tough-so-read-this-manga-about-cute-girls-and-feel-better/

>"if Punpun had a normal face, there are probably a lot of parts in the manga that I couldn’t have done. For example, I suppose I could draw the face of someone killing another person if I were to try, but I don’t think that’s a manga people would want to read. The goal is to keep people reading, after all, and I think Punpun’s face plays a big role in that."
>"I wanted to take the readers coming to the book because they thought Punpun was cute, and upset them. (laugh) I wanted to say to the reader, “Here’s a different kind of manga. Look at what kind of depths of reality manga can plumb.”
>>
>People getting assblasted at the mere sight of PunPun
Eveytime.
>>
>>138201856
I thought it was the other way around, to make it harder to self-insert.
Of course you can identify with him, but with the way the manga went in the second half I really don't think it's meant for self-insertion.
>>
>>138201710
To denote that he's not like the other people.
>>
Because it was more interesting this way.
>>
>>138202332
Nobody said it in this thread, so why are you talking to other random people? They might not be here.
>>
>>138201882
Because it was unrealistic bullshit aiming to morbid tragedy. Inio said during the interview that he made the arc as revenge for losing sales during Yuuichi's flashback arc.
>>
Love the 'Punpun is shit' meme, /a/ used to praise it to heavens several years back before it got so popular.
>>
No face to empathize with. You're only able to look at his actions to decide who Punpun is.
>>
>>138203251
>Inio said during the interview that he made the arc as revenge for losing sales during Yuuichi's flashback arc.
wat. but that's one of the best arc. the storytelling on that arc is fucking great and also an awesome change of pace.
>>
>>138203301
>caring what other people think
that is where you fucked up.
>>
>>138203301
Who said it's shit? It's just extremely average, but idiots think it's a masterpiece because

>muh epic pages
>muh feels
>muh symbolism
>>
>>138203470
What fucking world do you live where Punpun is an average manga? Do you even know what average is?
>>
>>138203470
no, it's pretty good. Solanin is probably better, but it's good.
>>
>>138203470
Hipster-kun please.
>>
>>138203520
>>138203602
Do elaborate on why you think it's good. Can you even do that much?
>>
>>138203470
Explain how it's not good without using "muh <insert buzzword here>"
>>
>>138203868
Avoiding the question are we? If you don't know why it's good, then that much speaks for itself.
>>
>>138203749
Does it matter? There were things I enjoyed and they outnumbered the things I didn't enjoy. Maybe you wouldn't enjoy those things.
>>
>>138203896
Avoiding the question are we? If you don't know why it's bad, then that much speaks for itself.
>>
>>138203302
Well, that and his thoughts.

Good point though.
>>
>>138203913
Come on now. As has been pointed out, the manga is widely considered good. That means the onus is on you to prove why most people are wrong. You might think this isn't fair but that's how it works.
>>
>>138203902
If you enjoyed it, good for you. Absolutely no problems whatsoever.

If you try to claim it's a masterpiece, then you're a moron.

>>138203913
Sorry you weren't smart enough to back up your opinion with anything, to the point you even resorted to deflection. Just goes to show fanatics like you are always dumb.
>>
>>138203943
>>138203950
Burden of proof is on the one who made the claim. Why is it not good? Elaborate.
>>
>>138203302
So why does his appearance change when he grows up? So much for that logic.

>STOP IT! IT'S SYMBOLISM!
>>
>>138203749
Good art and composition, masterful visual storytelling, pacing, manages to both incorporate character depth and interaction that's much more personal than most manga while seamlessly combining fantastical imagery with its very realistic setting.
>>
>>138203965
>deflections
I'm not arguing why it's bad, I'm simply asking why you think it's good, but clearly you don't even know yourself. The reality is, you simply aren't a smart person.
>>
>>138203991
Nice deflection.
>>
>>138203982
>Good art and composition
I'll give you that.

>, masterful visual storytelling, pacing, manages to both incorporate character depth and interaction that's much more personal than most manga while seamlessly combining fantastical imagery with its very realistic setting.
Elaborate.
>>
>>138203991
>you simply aren't a smart person.
Nice ad hominem
>>
>>138203991
>can't make an argument
nice
>>
>>138203976
Oh yeah, the bird gets a little taller and grows legs a little longer, immersion broken
>>
>>138204010
>>138204030
>>138204044
This is what a fanatical Punpun fan is like, everyone.
>>
>>138204014
If you've read the manga you'd know that most of its most striking moments are told by the art alone and without words \ narration, sometimes the imagery is even contrary to the narration.

Most manga would never dare having characters as flawed as Punpun, his mother, his uncle, and the women in the cast are almost the complete opposite of the generic archetypes of the girls in most manga whose primary purpose is to be cute (not to sound like Tumblr or anything, but it's just the truth).
To put it concisely, the characters just feel very realistic in a very realistic setting, and to be able to flesh them out and tell their story with imagery that's surreal is brilliant.
>>
>>138204103
Who said anything about immersion? I was just highlighting the fallacy in his post.
>>
>>138204121
damage control
>>
>>138203470
You forgot
>muh buzzwords
>>
>>138204103
Oh yeah, the bird turns into a pyramid then into a 6 eyes monster then into a black horned demon, immersion broken.
>>
>>138203976
I'm not >>138203302 but:

He breaks away from the simple bird design when he is putting on airs or trying to be something that he isn't.

In highschool, he gets the goofy slicked hair.

Before meeting Sacchi again, he goes all triangular when he can't deal with the reality of his life and he's convinced himself that everything is fine.

And leading up to and during the murder arc, he gets a whole regular body below the neck after he learns that he can act like a totally different person who doesn't have anxiety and low self esteem.

It IS symbolism, but symbolism doesn't have to be vague and pretentious. Its just a way to show his state of mind visually instead of stating it outright.
>>
>>138204175
They never show a face though so its okay
>>
>>138204121
>pointing out simple flaws in an "argument" = fanatic
great
>>
>>138204121
You started out by making the claims that PunPun isn't good, but rather is just average, and people want you to elaborate on that, but all you've done is endlessly try to shift the burden of proof onto those who want to understand your point of view. Nobody is being fanatical here, you are just getting desperate in your shitposting attempts.
>>
>>138204175
Not a demon, a bull.

Aiko is Orihime, Punpun is Hikoboshi, the Cow Herder Star.

There's some other Tanabata related stuff that I'm not moon enough to get.
>>
>>138204242
>m-m-muh suge nipponese symbolism!!!!!

How 'bout you actually give some real reasons as to why Punpun is anything other than average, kid?
>>
>>138204139
>If you've read the manga you'd know that most of its most striking moments are told by the art alone and without words \ narration, sometimes the imagery is even contrary to the narration.
I agree, but that doesn't make Punpun itself a great story. It's far too repetitive and dull for large parts of the manga; that drains the effectiveness of said images. Those scenes are only effective if they're fueled by the context of the story or if their are strong, compelling internalizations going on within the characters, but Punpun's just another boring coming of age story with uninteresting, very simple, unintelligent characters.

>Most manga
Who cares. What other manga do isn't relative to the quality of Punpun.

>To put it concisely, the characters just feel very realistic in a very realistic setting
Elaborate.

>and to be able to flesh them out and tell their story with imagery that's surreal is brilliant.
Elaborate.
>>
>>138204205
He is successful in his shitposting attempts because he's convinced several people that he actually has an opinion about Punpun.

When someone's arguments are that fallacious/stupid, they're either a doofus not worth discussing with, or a troll trying to bait you. Don't give them what they want.
>>
>>138204276
>m-m-muh suge nipponese symbolism!!!!!
Are you mentally retarded?
>>
>>138204288
>Those scenes are only effective if they're fueled by the context of the story or if their are strong, compelling internalizations going on within the characters
This doesn't mean anything by itself. You need to elaborate.
>>
>>138204288
How the hell is Punpun repetitive? From your worthless posts I'm starting to think you haven't even read the manga.

Also,
>Who cares. What other manga do isn't relative to the quality of Punpun.
So you admit Punpun isn't average? Great, we're done here.
>>
>>138203251
That's bullshit, he wanted to make a runaway manga from the beginning, everything before that was a prelude.

Why they act the way they act in that arc is also pretty easy to understand.
>>
>>138204334
No, you're just an idiot with terrible comprehension.

>>138204340
It's a coming of age story, by that very virtue it's repetitive. From your clearly angered posts, I can tell you're a fanatic who absolutely hates the idea of people finding your favorite manga average.

>So you admit Punpun isn't average?
Nope, it's extremely average. You were using it's deviations from the norm as a means of arguing Punpun's quality, which is stupid. As far as story quality goes, Punpun is indeed average.
>>
>>138204288
I'm not that guy, but I'd agree that the actual content of Punpun's story isn't anything particularly special. I just think that a simple story told well is a really fantastic thing.

The author even comments on this through the interactions between Sacchi and her Editor. Some people (you) don't get much out of this kind of story, and that's perfectly fine.

I found Punpun to be insanely engaging. It drew me in and had me badly wanting to read the next volume. I can't perfectly quantify WHY I found it so engaging, but I could probably do a decent job if I wrote a paper on it.

But this is an image board, and its okay to sum up your stance on something without providing a mountain of evidence and explanation.
>>
>>138204414
>It's a coming of age story, by that very virtue it's repetitive.

Who cares. What other manga do isn't relative to the quality of Punpun.

>story quality
Elaborate.
>>
>>138203749
Great music and seiyuu cast.
>>
>>138204533
The voice actors were okay I'll give you that, but the music ranged from average noise to typical sentimental dogshit you'd expect in this kind of stories.
>>
>>138204586
Who would you cast as Aiko?
>>
File: i1qkzz1yo1_1280.jpg (778 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
i1qkzz1yo1_1280.jpg
778 KB, 900x900
Did his parents or uncle ever appear the same typical-from-the-neck-down way? It's been a while since I've read.

Shame every thread turns into this though. I'd rather have waifuposting than this shit.
>>
>>138201710
That's what people say about me when they think I can't hear what they are saying.
>>
What's up with all the PunPun shitposting lately?
>>
>>138204710
See my earlier post >>138204178

I think that the appearance shifting stuff is exclusive to Punpun and how he views himself at the time. Yuichi would probably have his fair share of them if he was the narrator, but he ain't.
>>
>>138204755
Do you mean people shitposting in Punpun threads, or are you implying that this very thread was a shitpost from the very beginning?
>>
>>138203470
tell me one manga better than oyasumi punpun
>>
>>138204811
Yotsuba
>>
>>138204811
Berserk
>>
>>138204811
I'm sure he will say the shitty Berserk.
>>
File: AngeMilk.png (68 KB, 324x246) Image search: [Google]
AngeMilk.png
68 KB, 324x246
>>138204811
I think that guy abandoned the thread quite awhile ago.

I would propose the Seacats manga as one that I personally enjoyed more, but Punpun is definitely way up there for me.

Hard to say if its better or not though, since they are completely different types of stories.
>>
>>138204811
YKK
>>
>>138204811
YYH
>>
>>138204791
The former.
>>
>>138204894
what's seacats manga? you mean umineko?
>>
>>138205110
That's the only seacats that I know, yeah.
>>
>>138204811
I'm the person you're replying to. Off the top of my head, here's a list of manga better than Punpun:

7 Seeds
Nana
Pluto
Basara
Monster
Vagabond
Rose of Versailles
Dorohedoro
Kaiji
Aku no Hana
Ashita no Joe
Liar Game
The Voynich Hotel
Sanctuary
Kodomo no Omocha
>>
>>138205442
How is Dorohedoro better than Punpun? It has an interesting artstyle and a unique world but honestly everything else is a fucking mess.
>>
>>138205442
I love Vagabond, but most of the appeal is the art. The story is pretty conventional samurai stuff.

Wasn't it you who said that Punpun is impressive visually, but otherwise unremarkable? Why do you place Vagabond higher than it?
>>
File: 4525252.png (129 KB, 500x254) Image search: [Google]
4525252.png
129 KB, 500x254
>>138205482
>everything else is a fucking mess
If you didn't pay attention maybe.
Anyway I'm not him and I like PunPun too.
>>
>>138205536
I'm not talking about the plot which doesn't have much to it, the characters are pretty generic and it has the usual bullshit of being afraid to keep characters dead at the cost of the story.
>>
>>138205602
>he plot which doesn't have much to it
Are you serious? It's one of the more convoluted ever.
>the characters are pretty generic
Literally how
>It has the usual bullshit of being afraid to keep characters dead at the cost of the story.
Kikurage's powers are established since the beginning and dying is not that much of a deal in-universe.
>>
>>138205670
>Are you serious? It's one of the more convoluted ever.
That's not a plus, it doesn't have much to it besides the week-by-week thrill of finding out the latest twist and fight, it doesn't have much in terms of profoundness and emotional impact, at least in the perspective of comparison to Punpun.

>Literally how
Maybe generic isn't the right word, but the characters just aren't deep at all, they mostly exist to entertain the reader and move the convoluted plot along.

>Kikurage's powers are established since the beginning and dying is not that much of a deal in-universe.
It doesn't matter if it's logically found in the universe, when it comes down to it the revival mechanism was created to permeate the author to bring favorite characters back, not the other way around. It's just a story device, whether it's a cat, a time machine or a fucking dragon ball, reviving dead characters extremely cheapens the story.
>>
>>138205814
Wait, I'm not arguing Dorohedoro is better than PunPun, as I said I like them both and I don't think they are comparable, I replied to you because it's not right to say Dorohedoro's story is a mess.
>>
>>138204842
>>138204844
Every manga thread ever.

>LE DAE WHAT MANAA IS BETTER THAN THIS MANAGA?
>BERSERk
>Y0TSUBAE

HAHAHAHHA
>>
>>138204811
Dead Dead Demon's Dededededestruction is already better than Punpun.
>>
>>138205442
>7 seeds
>basara
Good taste. Yumi Tamura is a great writer.
>>
>>138204811
Open the new releases tab on batoto. At least 50% are guaranteed to be better than this pretentious garbage.
>>
>>138206163
>Do I fit in yet?
>>
>>138205442
>vagabond
>omocha
>basara
>dorohedoro

these are all over the place
pls get out of /a/ before they ruin your great taste
>>
Looks like you guys have some growing up to do before you can appreciate punpun.
>>
File: 1457043012493.jpg (78 KB, 444x444) Image search: [Google]
1457043012493.jpg
78 KB, 444x444
>>138206327
That's like a triple bait, I'm impressed.
>>
>>138206327
It's idiots like this poster that lead people to criticizing Punpun.
>>
>>138201710
So a subhuman like me could insert in him
>>
>>138203470
>It's just extremely average
This is one of the biggest examples I've ever seen of "now its popular, time to downgrade it"
and don't take me for a dicksucker, i sincerely think more or less all the other stuff of this author sucks
Thread replies: 103
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.