[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Was A Boy and his Beast better or worse than Wolf Children?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 6
File: maxresdefault.jpg (320 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
320 KB, 1920x1080
Was A Boy and his Beast better or worse than Wolf Children?
>>
>A Boy and his Beast
I meant The Boy and the Beast god dammit

I'm asking cuz I like its art direction more and it reminds me of One Piece movie 6 in that it looks more colorful and stylized than Wolf Children

But everyone says the story is bad and I kinda predicted this since it's the first movie ever Hosoda himself wrote on his own
>>
>>138133879
Worse
>>
>>138133879
I liked Wolf Children, wasn't too deep or anything. Just a good approach on how fantasy in modern life would be like. I was a little emotional once the boy left into the forest and abandoned his human side.
>>
>>138133974
A lot of people thought that made him a dick for leaving his mom and there was a lot of arguing over it on /a/
>>
>>138134001
I can see and understand both sides of that argument.
>>
A boy falls in love with beast
>>
>>138134094
Unable to confess.
>>
I haven't seen it yet but popular sentiment points to "even worse than Summer Wars"
>>
>>138134529
no.
Just watch it and decide for yourself, it's only a hour and a half movie.
>>
>>138134604
Well yeah I will once subs are out, I was just answering OP
>>
>>138134626
Are you talking about Wolf Children? I'm positive there is subs for that but I don't The Boy and the Beast.
>>
>>138134529
Summer Wars was nothing special but I enjoyed it more than the Digimon movie it remade. Our War Game is overrated as fuck, especially compared to Hosoda's first Digimon short film which might be his best thing.
>>
File: 35930.jpg (42 KB, 300x430) Image search: [Google]
35930.jpg
42 KB, 300x430
>>138134693
I feel like I'm part of a minuscule minority in thinking this is Hosoda's best and not caring for Our War Game much. After that it's One Piece movie 6, but that one was long enough to have some flaws keeping it from being quite as near-perfect. This one is just TV anime episode-length and thus could be extremely polished, everything just comes together so goddamn well.

Also fuck the dub version that people prefer.
>>
>>138134661
Boy and the Beast, as far as I know we've only got raws freely available right now. I think Hulu has it though?

>>138134693
His first Digimon movie is my favourite thing from him too, outside of episode direction. I don't really care for any of his feature films, he's loaded with talent but sticks to kinda bland popcorn material. It's a choice, and that's fine, but they're not my thing.
>>
>>138134780
TGWLTT didn't have the impact on me it had on others but I enjoyed it mainly for the animation, Summer Wars was very flawed but i still had fun with it once again mainly for the visuals.

One Piece movie 6 though I genuinely really liked in general, it's basically a dark OP fanfic but it's done very well. I thought there was one moment when Luffy's behavior was dumb and nonsensical from a writer's standpoint that bothered me, but aside from that it was a really fun experience with top-notch memorable atmosphere.

I also didn't like it when I first watched it at like age 13 as I was getting into OP, I thought it was too big of a tonal shift + I had just seen FLCL so I had my standards set too high. But I rewatched it 3 years later and decided it's great.
>>
File: 1451433486679.gif (2 MB, 275x319) Image search: [Google]
1451433486679.gif
2 MB, 275x319
Wolf Children>Girl Who Leapt Through Time>Summer Wars>The Boy and The Beast

I got my mom a blu ray of Wolf Children for Mother's Day last year. She liked it a lot.
>>
>>138134872
Yeah, that one and War Game I haven't seen since I don't know the prior material well. I'll probably read One Piece someday though.
It's silly to watch hundreds of episodes just for three, but I think his work at the end of Ojamajo Doremi is spectacular as well, if you've seen that show.
>>
>>138134896
what about One Piece movie 6?
>>
>>138134955
Most people only know his post-Toei stuff because it's no longer franchise based.
>>
>>138134001
But both children are "leaving" her. They grow up and find their own life.

>>138134896
I don't know anything anything about Saki. What is she doing?
>>
>>138134954
Most of the OP movies are not canon and movie 6 works as a standalone. The One Piece cast is simple and one-track yet iconic and appealing enough that you'll have fun watching them even without "build-up"; it's kinda like Lupin in that regard.

Some people thought it was out-of-character for them to finally get fed up with each other's shit, but (for another Lupin comparison) I took it as a "straw that broke the camel's back" sort of thing; kinda like when Mystery of Mamo suddenly got serious and Goemon and Jigen thought "ok Lupin, we've had enough of your bullshit; get fucked". They dealt with it for hundreds of episodes, but it didn't really feel unbelievable that they'd get sick of it eventually; I felt the same way about the "out-of-character" writing in OP movie 6.
>>
>>138135056
Oh okay, I hadn't realized. I thought they were part of larger story arcs so I stayed away. Thanks for the tip, anon.
>>
OP movie 6 is a masterpiece.
>>
>>138135165
I wouldn't go that far, but it's definitely very good. I'd use that word for >>138134770 though

Really I wish more famous directors did short stuff; it's much easier to make a short really, really good than a movie or series.
>>
>>138135231
For example Koji Morimoto mostly does shorts and everyone likes him. Franken's Gears is such a simple concept but the staff gave it their all to make "old man brings robot to life, robot squishes him, the end" as atmospheric and immersive as possible so it was a blast to watch.
>>
>>138135292
forgot my pic
>>
>>138133879

Wolf Children, something I found mediocre, is his best film since 2006, so it wouldn't surprise me if it was worse.
>>
>>138135430
Is there anything he did that you personally thought was good?
>>
>>138135292
My favourite Takashi Nakamura works are his recent ones with Studio Colorido. Both very short but very good. The best of the Animator Expo was good for this, too, with great stuff from Maeda, Tsurumaki and Imaishi. Speaking of Imaishi, I like that his new TV show is a short. Looks promising.
>>
>>138135464

I'm guessing you mean as a director. No, but I'll be watching his Digimon movies and coming across his Nadja episode soon enough.
>>
>>138135555
I just hope those shots with voices and no motion in the PV aren't a hint that they'll go for an ironic feeling with half or more of the scenes with Kiznaiver being the "serious" show. It looks good enough to be a proper Imaishi show.
>>
File: img_01.png (78 KB, 219x567) Image search: [Google]
img_01.png
78 KB, 219x567
>>138135789
I mean they got Haruko's VA again for the brown girl, I don't think they'd bother her for another Ninja Slayer.
>>
>>138135789
Doesn't seem to be the indication. Imaishi's name is enough for me but it's also billed as an anniversary work, it'll be taken as seriously as those kids can possibly manage.
>>
>>138135054

Well, yeah, but one grows up and keeps in contact with her mother while defining her own life and the other abandons his family to take care of a bunch of fucking animals and never even contacts them again.
>>
>>138134001
Because the son IS a cunt
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.