[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hyouka
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 6
File: 1333222610990.jpg (2 MB, 5040x3969) Image search: [Google]
1333222610990.jpg
2 MB, 5040x3969
So what exactly is so special about this series? I keep seeing people praising about how its directing and cinematography is superb and creative but all I see is that it's the definitive 'all style and no substance'. Yes, it is visually fantastic but really, it's all fluff and doesn't really contribute much in enhancing the show. At least people like Ikuhara tries to evoke some kind of framing or styles that adds to the story's atmosphere.

Hell, as someone who enjoys SoLs and mysteries, the series fails to be either, which makes the visual an even bigger waste.
>>
>>137760417
Noice
>>
Evangelion > Hyouka
Evangelion > you're favorite anime

Also, I C E C R E A M
>>
>>137760417
I'm watching it right now and I definitely like the over-stylization, that's always a good thing. Since when is bland animation and direction good in any way?

I'd say it's narrative is rather weak though, more in how it's constructed. The mysteries seem pretty forced especially in the beginning when the characters pretty much just happen to stumble upon something to solve every ep, seemed just too artificial for me. It also uses rather blatant exposition which is rather painful to watch, stuff like "As you know, your favorite motto is!". Seriously, people never talk like that to themselves.

But yeah, the visuals are cool and I kind of like the characters, so that's what I'm sticking around for. "Style over substance" is a rather dumb term to me. Is substance over style good? If it doesn't have much substance should it just not have any style?
>>
Eupho > K-On > Haruhi > Chuuni > Hyouka > Everything else
>>
>>137760417
When does it become good?
I'm at ep 7 and it's boring and lame. They are resolving mysteries with 0 importance, it doesn't matter what they are doing at all.
Does it have any story or what?
>>
File: 1452267996321.jpg (423 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
1452267996321.jpg
423 KB, 1024x1024
>>137760417
>So what exactly is so special about this series?
It is the #1 series for putting people to sleep. Guaranteed outcome every time.

KyoAnus finds a way.
>>
>>137760977
Or you can you know, put that style in a work that actually has some substance so it's style that complements the substance, rather than just some fancy looking thing that is empty.
>>
>>137761085
And if you don't and leave a work that's bland on all fronts that's better? This is an animated work we're talking about not an instruction manual. The more style the better.
>>
>>137761025
Holy fuck you have shit taste
>>
>>137761188
>The more style the better.
Is this what plebs really think
>>
>>137761265
It should be obvious. Just look at the Hollywood movies that bring in the most money. The typical viewer just need flashy stuff to keep them entertained. Anything more like some kind of proper story or themes would require people to think and that's a difficult thing to process. Big colourful explosions are easy to do and easy to shut the audience up.
>>
>>137761265
No, plebs will say that only story matters. If you're not dimwitted you realize all the parts of a work are important. Both the narrative, visual direction and the way the two com together.
>>
>>137761346
If you think Hollywood has a sense of style you're the one that's plebian.
>>
>>137761347
And Hyouka has one of the worst narratives in any series ever
>>
>>137761387
>you in charge of reading comprehension and following conversations
No wonder people like you love Hyouka so much. You really can't form complex thought processes and that's why pretty images are all you need.
>>
>>137761347
Exactly, that's why Hyouka fags are the biggest of plebs.
>>
>>137761446
Anon, don't backpeddle. I said style matters you equated style to flashy explosions. You're a pleb. It's ok though, watch more anime, try to watch a film, read a book. Maybe something on art critique might help.
>>
>>137761567
>you equated style to flashy explosions
One more time
>you in charge of reading comprehension and following conversations
Sasuga Hyouka fags.
>>
>>137761607
If Hyouka fags were capable of reading comprehension they'd read the actual books instead of watching KyoAnus' pitiful attempt at an adaptation
>>
>>137761491
Except I never said lack of substance is good, I said lack of style is bad. If you think those are excusive maybe you should try watching something else than mal's top 20.
>>
>>137761648
>I said lack of style is bad.
No shit. Nobody said otherwise to begin with.

>you should try watching something else than mal's top 20.
Take your own advice first.
>>
>>137761607
Nice backpedaling. You're not even trying.
>>
>>137760417
>visually fantastic
>doesn't really contribute much in enhancing the show
How does that make any sense? You just said an aspect of the show is fantastic, and then go on to say that it does nothing to enhance it? What?
>>
>>137761689
OP did. And everyone else who defended his shitty plebian opinion.
>>
>>137761648
Hyouka is MAL-core though
>>
>>137761265
go check out the gatari generals
>>
>>137761736
>Score: 8.19
Confirmed
>>
>>137761265
You're literally saying "the more effort put into the visuals in a visual medium is not the better". No one is saying that it's the only thing needed for a good show, but you're a literal retard if you think that more "style" (even though that probably isn't even the correct word to be using) is ever a bad thing.
>>
>>137761736
Doesn't change anything I wrote. "Style over substance" is just as bad as "Substance over style" and lack of either is worse than either of these two options.
>>
File: 0001.jpg (129 KB, 1241x475) Image search: [Google]
0001.jpg
129 KB, 1241x475
>>137761736
Not just that. Guess who is the top rated reviewer on there.

>>137761648
rekt
>>
>>137761849
>gets proven to be popular in the very community that's being mocked
>"Doesn't change anything"
Nice backpedaling.
>>
>>137760417
>I dislike animation with good animation
Fuck off roricon
>>
>>137761930
Not that anon, but at a glance I can see at least 10 shows top rated on MAL that /a/ overwhelmingly thinks is good. People just pull the MAL card when it's convenient.
>>
File: 1454694818202.jpg (801 KB, 1280x1440) Image search: [Google]
1454694818202.jpg
801 KB, 1280x1440
>>137760417

There is enough substance in characters and their interactions. I don't remember there being overstylization at all, everything served it's purpose : all of the "mysteries" had a different thing about them, but that is just how people visualise stuff, it's wierder (lazier) if visualisation would have been shown not like this, or, how it usually goes, with just leaving talking heads moving their mouths for twenty minutes.

I was like you at first : to me Hyoka's lack of a grand scheme of things, compared to say Haruka, was a huge downside. But after rewatching it I realised that there is not supposed to be any : Hyoka is a very down to earth story about characters going through their lives and growing along the way.

You think mysteries suck and characters overreact to them ? Well, they are fucking fifteen, and those mysteries are very real to them, it's what their life is about at the moment.
>>
>>137761028
Why do plebs think that everything needs to happen in a show to serve some grand plot or work towards some climactic ending? Are you that indoctrinated into shit narratives or are you just a raging shonenshit?
>>
Not everything needs to be super serious stabby staby murder all the time you know.
Hyouka is chill, relaxing, and focus on the theme more than the actual mystries themselves.
>>
>>137762084
Yeah it's a masterpiece
>>
File: 1428466522587.png (384 KB, 631x720) Image search: [Google]
1428466522587.png
384 KB, 631x720
>it's all fluff and doesn't really contribute much in enhancing the show
What makes you say that? Sure, in that picture there are a few screens that are just there to look pretty, but a good number of them are also used to evoke themes or story elements in a creative way. They might not be very obtuse or deep, but what's wrong with that? Hyouka at it's core is a pretty simple story about two people and how and why they affect each other the way they do, so having needlessly obtuse visuals is just that: needless.

>At least people like Ikuhara tries to evoke some kind of framing or styles that adds to the story's atmosphere.
Why don't you think any of the screens in that image add to the show's atmosphere? I'd say all of them do. The landscapes and interiors and palettes add to the comfy rustic setting, while the 'delusions' or however you'd like to call them illustrate whatever they're talking about in pretty straightforward ways that tend to be more visually creative and engaging (not to mention reflective of characters) than simply having a slideshow of flapping mouths.
>>
>>137762281
Too bad Shaft did it first and better with the Monogatari series.
>>
>>137762493
Did you just try compare Hyouka to Monogatari? Were you oxygen starved at birth?
>>
>>137762551
Oh please, don't pretend like you're any better.
>>
>>137762583
>shaft did it first and better with the Monogatari series
Did what better? Something hyoka wasn't even trying to do? They're completely different shows.
>>
>>137761025
>Eupho better than anything else there
Gotta be the worst taste I've ever seen
>>
>>137762493
Hyouka was supposed to be comfy while Monogatari disturbing and detatched. It's like comparing Lain and Aria.
>>
>>137760417
Are you seriously comparing Ikuhara to Hyouka? What the fuck is wrong with you?
>>
>>137763106
Hyouka is pretty flamboyant with what it does. I'm honestly surprised people keep saying "visuals have no relation to themes!" when the show itself couldn't be more blatant about it
>>
>>137761265
Style is literally all that matters in cinema and media derived thereof.
>>
>>137760520
HAHAHA NICE MEME NIGGER

[Spoiler]EVANGELION IS THE WORST PIECE OF SHIT I HAVE EVER SEEEEEN[/spoiler]
>>
>>137763469
>2016
>manually typing out spoiler tags
>and getting it wrong
>>
>>137761176
plebs who have seen ~3 anime apart from Nichijou are probably its biggest fans, it's super popular at entry level

why on earth would you call it patrician?
>>
>>137763051
Hyouka tries to do a lot more than just be comfy, if you didn't think so then it quite obviously wasn't very good at it.
>>
>>137763586
mal-tier: like it because muh cute
/a/-tier plebs: >lol so randumb
true elite: nichijou is high art
>>
>>137763730
it's a shame it couldn't be more funny while being high art
>>
>>137760417
Being visually appealing is enough for me a lot of the time.
>>
>>137760417
>Yes, it is visually fantastic but really, it's all fluff and doesn't really contribute much in enhancing the show.
Seriously, nigger?
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.