[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Attack on Titan is a really bad show. It has the worst pacing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 12
File: arminshock.png (670 KB, 846x557) Image search: [Google]
arminshock.png
670 KB, 846x557
Attack on Titan is a really bad show.

It has the worst pacing of any show I've ever seen. They spend entire episodes on single conversations that would have been interesting, had they just condensed it down. There are no interesting characters, just varying degrees of weak plot-fodder. Armin is the worst offender on both of these points: He's supposed to be a main character? He has no development, no interesting plot points, and just exists to further the already thin plot that "hurr one of them can turn into the monster they're fighting". Yeah, we all saw Animorphs. I hope they never made a second terrible season.
>>
File: mikasacat.png (750 KB, 1182x765) Image search: [Google]
mikasacat.png
750 KB, 1182x765
This, and the above, image summarize the entire show. Armin spends an entire episode thinking of something obvious, Mikasa is a mary sue, and whatever the fuck the main character's name is, is boring and goes with whatever furthers the snail-paced plot. It's so fucking bad and I don't understand the hype.
>>
AoT went downhill when they changed the OP and the "ur a titan eren" shit started.
>>
SnK just needs a Harem
>>
Why couldn't they have stuck with the original premise? It was better when humanity was only hanging on through sheer ingenuity and resolve instead.

Now it's only going to end in Deus ex Titana now that everybody is transforming all over the fucking place.
>>
If you think he's bad now, wait until later when he turns into the author's walking deus-ex-machina.
>>
Wasnt there supposed to be a second season this month?
>>
>>137736763

At this point I'm convinced the series is stuck in development hell.
>>
AoT does action scenes well in my opinion, but it is over all pretty shit.

I think it should have been a story of the three main characters and their eventual leading of humanity to freedom from the titans. Mikasa has the skills, Eren can inspire people through sheer fucking murderous desire and tenacity, and Armin can provide the planning and strategy.

AoT should have been Starship Troopers but with the bugs replaced by giant people. Instead it's just a generic action anime with a main character that has all the best powers for no reason and con keep fighting infinitely because he's angry.
>>
>>137736705
>It was better when humanity was only hanging on through sheer ingenuity and resolve instead.
They weren't though. The beginning of the series makes it clear that humanity is totally fucked. Even after Eren transforms that changes nothing, and the introduction of other intelligent, powerful titans only tips the scale further.

There's no hope for humanity in the series until chapter 50, and that's still only a glimmer.
>>
>>137736705

There has to be some overarching plot otherwise smart humans vs dumb titans would get stale after 30 chapters, and the plot would lead nowhere. Not saying it's actually good or bad though.
>>
>>137736844
Or better yet, let Eren be Kamina of AoT. Let his bravery and tenacity in the face of death be a driving motivation for Armin and Mikasa, even after he dies.
>>
>>137736527
Hey Dylan!
>>
>>137736926

I get that, but they could have done something more interesting than "we are the titans lol".
>>
>>137736412
The show really did have horrible pace.

They should've just cut it to 13 episodes and focused on quality.
>>
>>137736965
lol i didn't notice, hi!
>>
>>137736926
Only if done badly. The logistics of battle and retaking the world could be quite interesting, especially if you're not shy with murdering established characters.
>>
>>137736962
Mikasa would quite literally stop functoning if Eren died.
>>
File: war is hell.png (1 MB, 1776x1000) Image search: [Google]
war is hell.png
1 MB, 1776x1000
It's the best recent anime depicting the psychological effects of real warfare on fucking minors though.

They are supposed to suffer consant shell shocks, vomit, have PTSD attacks, despair and all that shit.

To be honest SnK should be classified as a military genre anime above anything else.
>>
>>137736987

Everything after Trost was a damn slog. They introduce the whole "oh shit we gotta get to the basement" plot and then do nothing with it at all for the rest of the season.

Don't introduce some overarching MacGuffin if you have no plans to do anything with it anytime soon.
>>
>>137737025
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txuWGoZF3ew
>>
AoT illustrates one of the prime problems of basing a series off a manga, you're going to run out of material quickly as hell unless it's somewhat near completion.
>>
>>137736705
>the original premise
That's the original premise you dumbfuck, Bertolt shifted in the first episode. If you were too dumb to guess by episode 2 that the titans were human then that's your problem.
>>
>>137737163

Which was still better as subtlety than the whole central focus.
>>
>>137737031
Nah, remember when she thought he was dead? She almost let herself die but then realized that he would have wanted her to keep going and that his entire message to her with the whole childhood save from rape thing was to never give up and save yourself with your own strength.

She was ready to fight a titan with a knife before eren came in and saved her.
>>
>>137736527
>Netflix
>(1) Facebook
You don't belong here.
>>
>>137737026

>retaking the world
>humanity packed in tiny walls, mostly poorfags
>soldiers dying to fodder titans, probably >75% morality rate per battle

I don't think that was happening outside the realm of everyone getting superpowers. Basically the plot's direction was limited by the initial setting. There's no way humanity can reasonably get out of those walls without some asspulls or supernatural things happening in the long run.
>>
>>137737940
Or strategy better than using insanely dangerous and bizarrely high tech maneuvering gear to hit giants with swords

Like napalm, for instance.
>>
>>137736527
>facebook (1)
Bet it was your mum.
>>
>>137736527
Dylaaaaaan!
>>
File: Alice.gif (449 KB, 500x301) Image search: [Google]
Alice.gif
449 KB, 500x301
>Facebook
>>
>>137736527
>King's
King's College? Kek
>>
>>137736527
>no Gay Sex With HATS ON

It's like you're not even trying.
>>
>>137738947
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King%27s_Gambit#King.27s_Gambit_Accepted
>>
>>137736705
>>137736534
But titan shifting was introduced back in the one shot, in fact the whole premise of the one shot was that there was this guy who could transform into the enemy
>>
SnK is an amazing anime, all you little faggots are so butthurt because you couldn't have your retarded "hurr durr humans vs titans" 1 dimensional story, because your low IQ can't follow a story that is not as black and white as that. HAHAHA, I pity you SnK haters.

Armin is one of the best anime characters every created, he is the best character in the show and had the most character development.

That nigger that said Mikasa is a mary sue, clearly didn't watch the anime and see Mikasa fuck up on multiple occasions.

Stay cucked and pozd you fucking faggots, your nigger tier anime doesn't even have 1/10th the succes that SnK does.

Within 1-2 months SnK season 2 will anal rape all competition in anime just like season 1 did.

sie sind das essen und wir sind die jäger.

#Rekt #BTFO
>>
File: 1405967844872.jpg (22 KB, 600x863) Image search: [Google]
1405967844872.jpg
22 KB, 600x863
>>137740422
>Armin is one of the best anime characters every created
I can't even laugh at the rest of the post now
>>
>>137740422 (checked)

dubs of truth witnessed! well said my friend!
>>
File: 124.jpg (71 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
124.jpg
71 KB, 1280x720
>>137740422
>>
File: 1397501348193.jpg (77 KB, 659x960) Image search: [Google]
1397501348193.jpg
77 KB, 659x960
>>137740422
>>
Honestly I hated Titan as well. Mostly because it's the type of childish nonsense that makes people hate anime. I'm not knocking it here - the demographic is literally children.

Also, the MC is a cuck for his mary sue gf and several portions of each arc literally annoyed me so much I had to fast forward on numerous occasions.
>>
>>137738877
>Tumblr
>>
>>137736412
>>137736527
>>137736534

then don't watch it
>>
>>137740422

Mikasa is a Mary Sue. She has no character flaws. Messing up once in awhile isn't a character flaw.
>>
>>137740978
>4chan
>>
>>137736412
>They spend entire episodes on single conversations that would have been interesting, had they just condensed it down
This sounds like something a weekly faggot would say. Watching things in one go

>netflix
figures
>>
>>137741022
lusting after your brother is a pretty glaring character flaw
>>
>>137741151

No it isn't. 'Loving someone too much' doesn't add any tension/drama to the writing. It's just asinine. Like going to an interview and telling them your worst character trait is that you work too hard.
>>
>>137736527
>Having the filthy rato on your browser

Just fucking kill yourself m8.
>>
>>137741204
It does if he's your brother
>>
>>137741245
no you
>>
>>137741013
finally someone who isnt a complete retard
>>
>>137737146
Or it's long.
>>
>>137736412
ok but titans are legitimately terrifying

i agree on other points. the show is really cheesy sometimes

but i couldn't stop watching. it's like the anime was stuffed with MSG. i know its bad but i can't stop eating it. the mcdonald's of anime. the rossini of anime.

i consider myself having refined taste but i could not stop watching it. they sprinkled crack on it. i legitimately want to see what happens. im interested in the plot and connected with the characters.

i don't know whats wrong with me. i like it for some reason.
>>
>>137741413
Where do you think you are? Talking shit about shitty taste in anime and watching tumblrfags come out to defend it is the best use of this board when new content isn't out.

>>137736412
Another awful aspect of it is how it introduced boring secondary characters just to kill them off before watchers could even care about them, while equally incompetent characters dodge death left and right because they didn't have the balls to kill anyone important. When they did fuck up the protagonist, he just came back with that titan shit.

That was a genius move for sales though, and it's easy to see why, as when you searched for the anime after the first few episodes you'd get countless normies from tumblr talking about how dark and mature the anime is and how they had never seen an author be so "cold".
>>
>>137741821
wtf are you saying
>>
It's an anime that appeals to a young public that has never watched anything that isn't light-hearted and is easily shocked by sober tones, of course it's awful.
>>
>>137742577

It'd be more expedient to simply say "all shounen is awful without exception".

Kids are dumb little fuckers. That's their defining trait.
>>
File: 1454175819041.jpg (38 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1454175819041.jpg
38 KB, 500x500
>>137741821
Reminds me how tumblr users say that fnaf is the most terrifying game they've played.

Feels real bad.
>>
>>137742818
>feel shit

Fuck off, retard.
>>
>>137742646
Not really, because they can rely on other positive aspects like characterization, interesting powers or combat with a minimum of thinking. Being directed at young audiences is no excuse for bad story either, you just need to limit its complexity to the point dumb kids can understand what's going on.

AoT had no redeeming aspects in that sense, it was just carried by gruesome scenes and action.
>>
>>137743142

Anything aimed at young kids could be likened to something aimed at retarded people - except retards have more experiences and information than children.

That's why I don't read 'shounen', I read 'retard'.
>>
>>137743205
No it can't. You can make media aimed at children that is both effective and intelligent. Children are not stupid, they just aren't as smart as adults and have fewer experiences.
>>
>>137743388

>Children are not stupid

Yes, they are.

And very few (if any) children could even perform well enough on an ADULT IQ test to even score 100.

Sure, there's plenty of retarded adults out there, but I prefer to distance myself from their pop cultural consumption.
>>
Pacing was terrible.

Dropped it after the Titan Shifting.
>>
>>137743445
Even if children are stupid it doesn't necessarily follow that everything made for children is bad.
Also by this logic you should never watch anything because at some point is has probably been consumed by someone with a low IQ.
>>
>>137743585
You've seen the best of the show
>>
>>137743670
>Even if children are stupid it doesn't necessarily follow that everything made for children is bad.

It does if the gap is large enough that all examples of the sample will overlap with the 'normal' bellcurve in the leftwards region, or if your standards only include quality from the farthest rightwards region of the 'normal' bell curve, which the other bell curve will never reach.
>>
>>137743790
The normal curve never reaches 0, things just get less and less likely as you go further to one side or the other. Children's media is by and large worse on average but it isn't worse as a rule.
>>
>>137741486
>the mcdonald's of anime
Truer words never spoken
>>
>>137743884

It doesn't in theory but in practice it does.
>>
The same people who watch and enjoy SnK prefer HxH 2011. I can almost guarantee this fact.
>>
File: 1453574628427.gif (1 MB, 680x551) Image search: [Google]
1453574628427.gif
1 MB, 680x551
what the do you think is in that fucking basement
i'm gonna call it now and say everything in there is destroyed
>>
>>137743999
Midichlorians.
>>
>>137743907
Don't make theoretical arguments if you know they don't make sense.
>>
>>137744053

There was nothing wrong with the argument. Your rebuttal hinged on an infinite sample which isn't possible in practice.
>>
>>137744084
No, it only hinges on a relatively large sample, which does exist.
>>
>>137744150

Relative to what?

Bottom line, asymtotes don't actually exist in nature, just flawed mathematics/statistics.
>>
>>137744227
I don't think the relative quality is as low as you think it is, and even ignoring that there will be outliers.
This argument is pointless anyways, so let's just drop it. It's not like I could ever convince you.
>>
>>137736412
i was kind of enjoying it until MC got his limbs chopped off and then eaten. i expected him to live obviously, then proceed to be badass despite being severely handicapped (although with the missing weight of an arm and leg he could carry way more gas)
i would have accepted him growing his limbs back from being inside of a being that can grow back body parts.
but what really happened was just so complete bullshit and disappointing.
>>
I enjoy reading the manga, I laugh at Isayama's subtle humor. I like the way he draws, even when its not perfect. I like the characters, but I find the way Isayama tries to portray Armin intelligence is forced, even so, Armin's flaws save him from being a bad character. I kinda enjoyed discussing the manga here three years ago. I don't like the anime, so the new fanbase is pretty indifferent but their fanfics are scary.
>>
Oh man, people complaining about how this is for children and a "non-intellectual" show are going to have a hell of a time in season 2 when we get to see child soldiers murdering each other and the PTSD flashback vomiting and how Eren finally breaks and realizes he's not some super badass Titan Destroyer and tries to kill himself because he thinks he's holding everybody back, and how the 104th become dead inside from everything they have to do to fight corruption from inside the walls before they can attack the titans.
>>
>>137736705

This, when Eren gets eaten only to become an EVA is where the show jumped the shark for me. The whole episode kind of redeemed the downslope in quality until the big reveal.
It could have been a really great thing too, enforcing the narrative that there's no MCs in war and that everyone dies senseless deaths, and they could have then shifted the focus to Mikasa or the whole group as a whole. No other anime comes to mind that's actually done this. Instead they just go with "LOL PLOT ARMOR HE IS NOW A MECHA".
Pretty much sums up the anime as a whole I think, a really interesting idea that promised a breath of fresh air, only to fall into the same tired cliches everyone's seen before.
>>
>>137745086
It would be nice if at the end Grisha is not some prince or shit like that, just a commoner with a bit of brain who tried to do something "good", and ended doing a messed good. Only if Isayama actually gives a shit about "muh royalty", but being a prince seems a key point on some manga and anime. .
>>
>>137745109
>an
I can tell you guys are anime only watchers. When you guys watch the 2nd season you will have a completely different view on the 1st season as a whole. You all expected the series to be another walking dead.

Also the series is not a mindless action show It has a lot of depth.
>>
>>137746740
oh fuck now 3 other people who had 0 development whatsoever can go super saiy-i mean turn into titans
woop-de-fuckin-do
>>
>>137740422
>this post
Mikasa is the worst Mary sue on AoT, there's no denying.
>>
>>137740422
Holy shit I actually like this show, and this made me cringe.
>>
File: 1454327311085.gif (2 MB, 320x228) Image search: [Google]
1454327311085.gif
2 MB, 320x228
>>137737033
>>
>>137736412
>Attack on Titan is a really bad show.
but it has EH
>>
>>137746792
0 development. OK.
>>
OP may be a filthy normie, but he's right about Attack on Titan.
>>
>>137748900
This
>>
>>137748900
Cuteness overload isn't enough.
>>
>>137746740
If everyone dropped it during the first season, it already failed as a show. There wasn't any depth during all of it, and I doubt anything in season two could save the story.
>>
>>137737033
I don't understand this "thick line". It's like an animation from cartoon network.
>>
>>137748900
EH a cute.
>>
File: IMG_20160221_215436.jpg (223 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160221_215436.jpg
223 KB, 1024x768
>>
File: IMG_20160221_215444.jpg (243 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160221_215444.jpg
243 KB, 1024x768
Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.