[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are your thoughts on series that are grimdark? A breath
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 5
File: translations never.jpg (99 KB, 728x1068) Image search: [Google]
translations never.jpg
99 KB, 728x1068
What are your thoughts on series that are grimdark? A breath of fresh air or distasteful and 2edge4me?
>>
You got your series where the dark elements are well executed like Berserk

there are those series whose dark elements are made purely for entertainment purposes like Hellsing or 40k

and then there are those who only has dark elements because it wants to be treated more mature than it has any right to be (actual definition of edgy)

I like all fo them
>>
>>137622046
eh, this is pretty out of context. The girl was quite clingy and the guy showed little emotion towards her.

Did translations stall, or is the manga on hiatus?
>>
>>137622295
This right here expect I only care for the first two. When it gets to the point of trying too hard then I stop caring.
>>
>>137622440
Actually, no, that series was just as edgy as it appeared. If not fucking worse.

The MC is a cancer, for every single fight he literally destroys centuries worth of carefully dedicated talent. Making the populace weaker every time he uses his ability.
>>
>>137623115
Most of the time the people died by losing to the enemy though, it only happened a handful of times when he has to do the deed himself.
>>
File: img000024.jpg (628 KB, 840x1200) Image search: [Google]
img000024.jpg
628 KB, 840x1200
>>137622046
They're only good when they don't try to be anything but over-the-top ridiculous like Fukushuu Kyoushitsu.
>>
>>137622295
Basically this, though I only really care about the first.

The second is okay sometimes and the third is just always really dumb.
>>
>>137623470
I prefer the second to the other two

but mostly because of my fetish
>>
>>137622295
>and then there are those who only has dark elements because it wants to be treated more mature

This one of the problems I had while reading akame ga kill, most of the characters will kill and butcher the enemy corpse for no reason at all, its not even done because they are fighting super humans, sometimes they will cut the enemy into pieces because they are...bored.

The torture is also done just for fun, its like "hey, there is nothing to do so lets torture some hobos for a time".

I been reading the first law trilogy, and Glokta may be extreme at times, but everthing he does has a purpose, and he is struggling with the moral dilemma of a man who was tortured himself and turned into a torturer.

Going from Glokta to esdeath makes everthing esdeath does look like a joke.
>>
darkness it's not mature so much as in mature series dark elements are sort of a side-effect or an effect to a cause that actually is mature

randomly giving your character AIDS for dramatic effect is just that, random

making a series where AIDS is the central theme however so long as the series elaborates on it well it's cool

Likewise if the character got AIDS from an established flaw, that being the character's tendency to fuck everything that moves then that's probably the natural development.
>>
>>137622046
If suffering happens, that's one thing
If the series exists only to show suffering, that's another

I think it was... Kiwaguro no Brynhildr
I think I got 100 chapters in and I realized that there was nothing there except endless suffering for the girls

Wasn't my cup'o'tea
>>
>>137622046
What the context here, I need to know if I should be hating MC for doing that, or if he's fully justified in doing that. Cause I mean, if shes a mass murderer then its one thing, but if she just happens to need to die, then thats fucked.
>>
>>137622046
How behind are the translations? I can just feel the anime adaptation incoming. It's entertaining in some sort of dumb way.
>>
>>137623638
you... you have good taste
>>
>>137624088
In the manga theres a big bad that comes around every thousand years or so. People are born with a set job and our MC was born as the job, or class, that is meant to kill the big bad. Mind you he isnt the only one that was born with this specifc job. Everyone in the world has a job and everyone has a level they can increase by gittting gud. Our MCs power is that he will always be at lvl.1 but he can kill his teammates to absorb their levels for a period of time. Explaining OPs pic, he was just killing his teammate for a mini-boss encouter
>>
>>137624500
What a faggot.
>>
>>137622046
I had no problem with the dark parts of the story. It was a stupid story though and gets worse if you follow the webcomic.
>>
>>137623638
Akame GA kill is what happens when you have a garbage story and cover it up with loss so that people ignore it's numerous flaws.
>>
>Berserk
>>
>>137624167
Only up to chapter 3 last time I checked. Did a dump occur recently?
>>
File: 2015-11-17-055652.jpg (146 KB, 960x544) Image search: [Google]
2015-11-17-055652.jpg
146 KB, 960x544
>>137624500
>Our MCs power is that he will always be at lvl.1 but he can kill his teammates to absorb their levels for a period of time

Well, thats pointless, if it was like soul sacrifice where sacrificing your friends can give you a permanent power boost, it would be one thing, but if he is just going to go back to lv1 there is no point.
>>
>>137623115
>The MC is a cancer, for every single fight he literally destroys centuries worth of carefully dedicated talent. Making the populace weaker every time he uses his ability.
>The MC is a cancer

You are fucking retarded. It was explained clearly in the manga that: companions' death make heroes stronger + only heroes can actually do shit.

It's a fucked up world, but not like they can help it.
>>
>>137622046
There are two kinds of chuuni: the bright and cheerful chuuni where the person uses his "powers" for beneficial, heroic or inspirational purposes. The other is the kind of chuuni filled with solitude, dark powers and all kinds of shit like that, as if the world is unfitting for that person.

Most of those dark series are for those like the second kind of chuuni.

>>137624951
There's one solution to that: don't make retarded worlds.
>>
>>137623638
first law trilogy started slow but god damn did it have some of the best character development i have ever read. It even managed to piss me off which made me like it even more.
>>
>>137624810
>there is just no point
You mean aside from killing the big bad? Cause nobody else can do it he had to kill several people to reach mid boSS tier.
>>
>>137622046
Did this shit finally update? its been like a year.
>>
>>137624500
That is probably the most edgy premise for a story that I've ever heard of.
>>
>>137624500
What a convenient recipe for drama.
>>
>mangapanda
Kill yourself.
>>
>>137624500
That's retarded, rather than killing people they could just assign the not hero to capture high level small creature, then give it to the hero to kill it and gain level from those. You can get better story when they ran out of so called creature to kill and had sacrifice one of the party member rather than outright kill them just because.

This is just shitty writing.
>>
>>137625735
It's one of those things I hate where an author builds a world specifically around drama or a convoluted scenario, making the whole setting really dumb if you take a few seconds to look at it properly.

Like putting the drama before the setting when writing it.
>>
>>137625735
yes lets pander to those with guilty conscience like you cause you don't like how things are done. It's done to show the job system is the end all and everyone follows it whether they want to or not. If they did it your way it would be another boring shit shounen harem series.
>>
Revolutionary storylines like Akame ga Kill are paint by numbers. Fiction has had a glut of grimdark stories the past few years thanks to series like Walking Dead and Game of Thrones. Series like Konosuba are a little too light although I enjoy them because they remind me of Slayers.

I would rather have faster paced adventure fantasy that still have some wonder without becoming screenwanking like Avatar or Miyazaki films.
>>
>>137624500

Why does it have such a specific downside? That seems awfully dumb and convenient.
>>
God, the writing in OP's example is exactly what not to do.
>>
>>137625914
Nothing about pandering, it's just cheapens the drama for the sake of being edgy and the value of the characters in the manga. There's nothing to invest on the story and characters because MC will just kill everyone so he could kill that one boss and repeat ad nauseam. Getting progression of any sort is pretty much really low or will take forever before the author hits the brickwall.
>>
>>137626188
There is nothing wrong with the story or the MC being forced to kill his party the biggest flaw with the series is that the people he kills show up and die within 2 chapters so the reader doesn't give a shit about them really it would be a far more impactful read if they were around for a while to grow on the reader before they died. It suffers from the same shit akame ga kill suffers from.
>>
File: 1449632471086.gif (2 MB, 300x243) Image search: [Google]
1449632471086.gif
2 MB, 300x243
>>137625914

>using common sense panders to guilty consciences
>>
Edge for the sake of shock value is the worst type of edge.
>>
>>137626340
>reading something you don't like and complaining cause you don't like it
>>
>>137626370

It's more like reading something that's written badly and suggesting ways to make the narrative make a little more sense.
>>
>>137626408
saying you don't like the premise is a garbage suggestion. Saying something that improves the premise is fine. All i ever see is "HURR why does mc need kill friends?!?"
>>
>>137624951

What logic even defines that world? Who sets up the number system? How are demon lords chosen? Has it even attempted to explain this?

Actually that bothers me on every series where RPG terms are applied to a living world.
>>
>>137626459
its a webcomic go read it if you can read nip and want story progress
>>
>>137625720
I smile knowing /a/ still has standards.
>>
>>137626287
In a way you are right, it falls down to competent writing.

I don't know if Hell Girl counts but it's pretty much stories about messed up people whose only purpose in their roles is to take some other people lives and still pretty enjoyable to watch.
>>
Kind of depends on how it's presented.

I've read 6 chapters of OP's related image, and it's definitely in the "try hard" category. It's not really invested enough in characters to hold my interest.

And the MC is bland as hell.
>>
>>137623638
I'm caught up to AgK but goddamn does that series make me mad at times. I do like how a lot of shitty characters do get payback for their evil behavior but still.

I'd really like to find a manga series similar to The Punisher.
>>
>>137626459
the chapter after OP's pic starts explaining things. >>137624500 this guy's kinda spoiled everything rather than just storytiming the chapter for the best effect.

Before the translations stopped, it was actually getting kind of interesting with an old acquaintance suddenly becoming the new demon lord, so mc will have to deal with that drama eventually
>>
>>137622046
As long as they don't take themselves too serious, I like them.
>>
>>137626569

I don't know. The MC seems like a sociopath who only gets bothered by what he does for a moment, then goes back to normal.

I can't honestly see him being all too bothered by it.
>>
>>137624500
to be fair, I think the mc's raid group were dying to the fucking minions before the boss, so they were way too weak to face the boss anyway. MC was acting like a dick to try to piss her off and try to spare her feelings, but it sort of backfired. He breaks down in tears and regret afterwards.
>>
>>137626596
It can be done seriously and well but it needs to be there for a reason other than shock value.
>>
>>137626612
he's been forced into this role by the higher-ups. I think he's just gotten used to it. Remember how he prevented that sheep girl from joining his party in chapter 1? He tries to be spare people when they're not needed.
>>
>>137626612
>who only gets bothered by what he does for a moment

well yeah nobody is going to follow a guy around who is crying every hour of the day but this is the inherent problem of the series in that shit goes by way too quickly so it's almost like he kills strangers sometimes (the marriage bitch was an exception but even still it was super quick)
>>
>>137626612
Are you serious? He loathes what he must do. Before he was chosen he was a war photographer. It's pretty fucking obvious through the chapters he isn't happy.
>>
This world seems like a really disparate mix of magic and technology. It seems very strange.

Seems like spreading high technology everywhere would be more useful.
>>
>>137626625
well sort of he picks people who have uses some of them are there strictly as fodder while some he brings who are strong and get emotional since he wouldn't be able to take them head on and needs them to lose it
>>
>>137622046

It can't be grimderp like AgK. It went a little too far with the endless rape trains and brutality for the sake of it.

You loose all empathy for any characters involved.
>>
>>137624500
Why not get a tamer teammate and kill his teammate's teammates?
>>
>>137622046
Only question I have about the series is whether of not he kills the lvl 40 watcher-chan. Shit releases so fucking slow.
>>
>>137622046
Let me rudely answer you with a counter-question:

Do you prefer socially (okay, soci/a/lly) accepted series like Monogatari while feeling not truly amused by them or actually "edgy" and "lelitzshitderp" series like, say, Death Note that actually make you feel some sort of fun or appreciation?

Think about it.
>>
>>137623638
You talk about AgK like Berserk doesn't have that edgy priest, or the unneccessary monster rape every 2 chapters.
Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.