[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dragon Ball Canon
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 12
File: latest-2.png (90 KB, 320x180) Image search: [Google]
latest-2.png
90 KB, 320x180
So, what exactly is canon to Dragon Ball in the anime and the manga? I'm thinking as of right now, it is as follows:

Anime:
- Dragon Ball
- Dragon Ball Z Kai
- Dragon Ball Super

Manga:
- Jaco the Galactic Patrolman + Dragon Ball Minus
- Dragon Ball
- Dragon Ball Z

Am I missing any? Are any of the specials such as the Bardock one and the Future Trunks one canon as well?
>>
Reminder to drop Dragonball after the freeza saga for the best experience.
>>
>Manga
>Dragon Ball Z
You fucked up son.
>>
>>137577615
The entire manga is named "Dragon Ball", son. The Z was only tacked onto the anime.
>>
>>137577935
OH, I thought the manga was renamed to Dragon Ball Z once it hit the Saiyan Saga, but maybe that's just a US thing?
>>
>>137578219
Ah, that's interesting. I guess it was just a US thing. I'm guessing the DBZ manga was released in the US first before DB.

Anyway, is this all the canon, or am I missing anything?
>>
>>137577615
Who cares considering the best thing about the entire series was a filler episode
>>
>>137578337
Why couldn't Super have just been more of this? I want more of the Z fighters just screwing around, using their powers in everyday life and doing shit that would kill anyone else.
>>
Lol i hate how purists bitch about z. I love db too but z was that battle show.

Mur it took 100 ep for them to take a shit. And it was all glorious.

Now we have baking contests and tea parties instead of real fights. Thanks super.
>>
>>137577615
Nigga fried chicken? Do japanese even know how to fry southern style?
>>
>>137579049
They have KFC over there, so probably.
>>
>>137579087
My boy told me while over there it was nothin but grilled chicken on they menu.

And at mcdonalds they got some shit called the "mcsquid" lol. And replace anything potato with rice.

But said their seafood is godlike and great steak restaurants.

He said their burgers taste horrible tho.
>>
>>137577615
Real canon.

Dragon Ball minus
Dragon Ball manga
Dragon Ball Z Battle of Gods
Dragon Ball Z Revival of F
Dragon Ball Super after recap
>>
>>137579483

Jaco is definitely canon
>>
File: DBZ_Volume_F.png (1 MB, 620x990) Image search: [Google]
DBZ_Volume_F.png
1 MB, 620x990
>>137577615
Reminder that anything that Akira Toriyama personally had input in (DB related) is considered DB canon:

That means:

- Jaco the Galactic Patrolman (which includes DB Minus)
- Dragon Ball
- Dragon Ball Z Kai
- Yo! Son Goku and His Friends Return!!
- Battle of Gods
- Resurrection F
- Dragon Ball Super (U6 arc and beyond)

This also means:
- DB, DBZ, DBS fillers are not canon
- All DB movies are not canon, besides BoG and RoF
- Neither is GT as a whole
- DBZ Specials are not canon, besides Yo Son Goku Returns

Toriyama himself did not create Bardock. He just liked the character, so he included him as a brief flashback in the DBZ manga. Then he finally revealed his interpretation of Bardock in DB Minus. Bardock does not see into the future.

Also while History of Trunks technically happened in the manga, it was different. The anime was expanded compared to it's manga counterpart, and Trunks was already a SS as a kid. Even before Gohan die...the anime changed it to be more dramatic. But it's not consistent with Buu Saga Kid Trunks turning SS without any effort.
>>
100% chance of dragon ball super making broly canon
>>
>>137580009
Why does everyone want Broly to be canon?

He's just a dumb brute trope, with no personality whatsoever and a speech impediment.
>>
>>137580245
Also he's weaker than Cell. In the DBS timeline, Broly is a joke
>>
>>137580245
him bulldozering the entire Z team was amazing
>>
>>137579483
>>137579982
Friendly remainder that Super is making the filler canon, ignoring the elements that contradict said filler. Example, in Super Toei used filler's Vegeta's design.
>>
>but what about Uub?!?!?!
Uub is canon. He's referred to in one of the DBS episodes.

He's still a baby.
>>
>>137580315
To be honest, I don't like Broly as a character, I liked the fact that in the movie the A gang was literately pissing their pants because they couldn't hurt Broly. I would like a retell of the Broly movie as a horror story with Broly exploiting for his enormous power and Goku and Co. barely escaping alive.
>>
The manga is canon. That's it.
>>
File: BlackRobbot02.png (282 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
BlackRobbot02.png
282 KB, 500x375
>robot
>pooh bear that looks like Buu
>green guy that looks like Cell
>saiyan clone
>freeza clone
>>
>>137580675
As in RoF happened, but Ginyu coming back didn't. Just like how the DBZ anime was based on the manga, DBS (at least the first two arcs) was based on BoG+RoF. Anyting that's not in the manga (DBZ) or not in the movies (DBS) is filler.

Also if DBS is referencing filler, then it's filler.

DBS canon-wise so far is: BoG+RoF+U6 arc
>>
>>137580860
>green guy that looks like Cell
but he's purple?
>>
>>137579982
Toriyama designed most of the movie villains (Lord Slug, Cooler, Broly, Bojack) and came up with some of the anime filler (the tsufuru-Jin, Dai Kaio). He also named Bardock's crew in the special and designed the entire starting cast of GT. By your standards all of those things would be canon.
>>
>>137580984
Maybe he helped Toei design some characters. In GT, he designed Pan and Giru. But that's about it

That doesn't mean their canon. I mean any story that he himself came up with.

He rewrote the BoG script and wrote the RoF story from scratch...that's very different from coming up with Broly's design.

Speaking of Broly, one of the older issues of Shonen Jump (USA) had an interview with Toriyama. He didn't even know who Broly was.
>>
Did he just throwed not Pooh out of he ring and that's all folks? really? REALLY?
>>
>>137581211
>Reminder that anything that Akira Toriyama personally had input in (DB related) is considered DB canon:
You said it, not me.
>>
>>137581211
>He didn't even know who Broly was
He didn't know who Launch was when ODa asked him.
>>
>>137581288
Input story-wise, maybe I should've clarified.

Obviously not everything he draws for other people will be canon.
>>
If you consider anything other than the manga and MAYBE Jaco to be canon you are not a real Dragon Ball fan.
>>
>>137579982
Pretty much this. Most of the quality stuff comes from Toriyama's direct input. The anime has too many contradictions. The only thing I'd argue is that DB Minus is complete shit and it ruined Goku's character arc in the Saiyan saga.
>>
>>137577850
The Android saga was godlike
>>
>>137581464

>DB Minus is complete shit and it ruined Goku's character arc in the Saiyan saga.

How so?

Assuming the Bardock TV special DID happen (instead of the Jaco Manga), how would Raditz find out Goku was sent to Earth? Goku was sent there the same day the Planet Vegeta exploded, and Raditz wasn't even on the Planet at the time.

The only thing I can think of is there is probably a Saiyan space pod Travel Log somewhere that Freeza has...

The only thing that DB Minus changes is the reason why Goku was sent to Earth, not Goku himself.
>>
>>137581936
You're talking to a fandom that shit the bed over a hair color change mate, don't bother rationalizing.
>>
>>137581936
Raditz assumed Goku was sent there to destroy Earth, like every other Saiyan baby did when they were sent away.

I guess it never came across Raditz that Bardock would try to save his son. Maybe Raditz wasn't loved...
>>
File: Jaco_chapte4830474839.png (105 KB, 500x364) Image search: [Google]
Jaco_chapte4830474839.png
105 KB, 500x364
>>137582226

Actually Bardock seemed to be concerned that Raditz was teamed up with a psycho asshole.
>>
Why is it only spics love GT so much?
>>
>>137581936
No, I'm just going by manga information which is more vague. Goku could have been sent months before Planet Vegeta's destruction as far as we know. When Goku is about to fight with Vegeta, Vegeta compares each other saying that Goku was only sent to earth because he was determined to be weak the moment he was born and he should be glad to be fighting an elite like him. But Goku is glad it turned out that way because otherwise he wouldn't have turned out as strong as he is and surpass the limitations he was put on on birth. In the Saiyan saga Goku comes to terms with his own origin and it's not a sweet one. Goku was considered nearly worthless by his people's standards and was sent to earth to do the only they considered him capable of. The irony is that this allowed the turns of event that turned him into a saviour of the very place he was sent to destroy. If they didn't consider him weak he would have most likely ended dead with them and would have never met all those people who taught him and made him stronger. He managed to achieve his potential because his own people concluded he didn't have any. When he fights with Vegeta he's face to face with the personification of that bigotry and he shows him just what a low-level warrior is capable of.

Also DB Minus made Goku special and unique because apparently his parents are one of the few saiyans who feel love and completely ripped off Superman's origin story.
>>
>>137578220
US publishing did that but it continues the DB volume numbers
>>
>>137582515
IIRC, The Galactic King from the Galactic Patrol headquarters tells Jaco to go to Earth because Earth is a developing world ruled by humans who are still immature and weak. So the Saiyans have probably sent a child, and Jaco was supposed to expose of Goku. That's why he freaked out in RoF when he learned he failed his mission.

That would also mean that Goku was already being sent to Earth. Bardock and Gine simply sent him there earlier, to avoid being blown up by Freeza.

However, I do agree that Toriyama is made his origin story similar to Superman's
>>
>>137580910
Looks like = similar in appearance. He didn't say he's green.
>>
>>137577850
the cell saga was great
>>
>>137582847
The galactic patrol detected Goku's pod being launched from planet Vegeta, they didn't know why it was sent or what was on it.
>>
>>137581936
>>137582344
Goku was programmed to be sent to Earth since his birth, probably Raditz read that somewhere. And as I said in the previous thread, Toriyama went full retard copy-pasting Superfag's tragic story when there was no need. Goku coming from an asshole race and a son of a bitch father that basically deserved everything Frieza did to them instead of the tragic good parents that sacrificed themselves in favor of his son's safety.
I liked FoG's message more than the shitty Minus': your backgrounds don't define you.
>>
File: dd.png (1 MB, 1156x722) Image search: [Google]
dd.png
1 MB, 1156x722
what was this scene about? i dont get it
>>
File: 33232.png (1 MB, 1156x722) Image search: [Google]
33232.png
1 MB, 1156x722
>>137583996
>>
>>137577615
You mean your headcanon because Dragon Ball doesn't have an established canon despite what you clowns think
>>
>>137584054
I guess it's referencing that time at the end of the Cell Saga when Piccolo said he didn't understand love.
>>
File: Dragon Ball Z (1806).png (381 KB, 1024x1536) Image search: [Google]
Dragon Ball Z (1806).png
381 KB, 1024x1536
There are only two canon Bardock pages
>>
>>137578220
Viz localized everything after Chichi and Goku's marriage as "Dragon Ball Z" to keep it consistent with the anime
>>
File: Dragon Ball Z (1807).png (544 KB, 1024x1536) Image search: [Google]
Dragon Ball Z (1807).png
544 KB, 1024x1536
>>137584233
Everything else is extra
>>
>>137582344
>FindingNemo.png
>>
>>137580860
>saiyan clone
He's not a clone of a saiyan, he is a saiyan.

>freeza clone
He's a member of Freiza's species.
>>
>DB Canon thread
>0 Brolytards
Well thats new
>>
>>137584154
No, it was explaining how their relationships actually work. People bitch about chichi being a, well, bitch. But that is what goku likes about her. Same with vegeta and bulma. This was also apparently also piccolo figuring it out
>>
File: Bardock(DBM).png (81 KB, 440x243) Image search: [Google]
Bardock(DBM).png
81 KB, 440x243
>>137584277

>Implying that Toriyama's prequel manga featuring Jaco, Tights, Bulma, and Bardock isn't canon.
>>
>>137584250
>Viz localized everything after Chichi and Goku's marriage as "Dragon Ball Z" to keep it consistent with the anime
>to keep it consistent with the anime
Just what the fuck America?
>>
>>137585798
The anime was more popular
>>
>>137585135
There was one anon, but it's still pretty good considering there are usually more

>>137580009
>>
I wish Radditz would have returned. I wanna see him and goku reconcile. And Tarble.
>>
>>137585820
It still makes no fucking sense. It's like there's a re-edition of Fullmetal Alchemist and Viz renamed it "Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood".
>>
Ok, OP here, and I'm updating what I said, as this seems to be the canon based on all your notes:

Anime:
- Dragon Ball
- Dragon Ball Z Kai
- Yo! Son-Goku and Friends Return!
- Dragon Ball Super

Manga:
- Jaco the Galactic Patrolman + Dragon Ball Minus
- Dragon Ball
- Dragon Ball Z (US version name)
>>
>>137585906
From a marketing stand point it makes sense. I don't even think they started publishing the DB series until Z aired
>>
>>137585919
I suppose you can argue that there are two versions of the Dragon Ball anime, similarly to how Full Metal Alchemist has two different versions.

Filler Anime:
- Dragon Ball
- Dragon Ball Z
- Dragon Bal GT
- All Movies and Specials excluding Battle of Gods and Resurrection of 'F'

Canon Anime:
- Dragon Ball
- Dragon Ball Z Kai
- Yo! Son Goku and Friends Return!
- Dragon Ball Super
>>
>>137585919
Why are you seperating anime from manga? There is just one canon which is both mediums
>>
>>137586001
There's technically two different versions, but yeah I guess you're right in some sense. Actually, if you're reading only the manga, then Resurrection of 'F' is canon to it.
>>
>>137585919
Why are they separate? There is only one canon timeline, and it's the timeline that Toriyama created

-Jaco
- DB
- DBZ Kai
- Yo! Son-Goku and Friends Return!
- BoG + RoF
- DBS (U6 arc)
>>
File: dragon-ball-super-promotional.jpg (158 KB, 326x450) Image search: [Google]
dragon-ball-super-promotional.jpg
158 KB, 326x450
I don't know about you guys, but I still find it surreal that Dragon Ball is back.

I never thought it would happen again, and now we're getting new material every week.
>>
>>137577850
At what point after the Freeza saga?
>>
>>137586166
After the buu saga
>>
>>137586091
Well, ther are peoipole who like to only stik to one or the other, so it's the most canon for the two separate entities, but you;re right. There is one main canon series. I remember hearing about a third movie in the works. Was that just a rumor? I'm assuming it would be based on the Universe 6 Tournament going on now.
>>
>>137581303
Actually I think that was Tao Pai Pai Oda asked him about.
>>
>>137586255
I've heard of a rumor but that was a while ago. But it was debunked. Since we have Super I see no need for a new movie that covers the same material. The only time I want to see another dbz movie is one that covers Goku and Vegetas final rematch with production values out the ass.
>>
>>137586166
When Goku screams on Namek before it explodes thinking he has no escape
>>
>>137586166
the anon you replied to here. please read this >>137587327

in all honesty though, I don't see why people like the green cockroach robot or the pink bubblegum genie. freeza was pretty much the emperor of the freaking universe. It doesn't get more "final boss"-like than that. Building robots with their power levels in the millions is just plain bad writing.

with the comment from the other anon, Goku dies but thanks to him, the universe would have been rid of the terror known as Freeza. A bittersweet ending that has a main character die and stay dead. actual originality... or a more sagas that recycle the same formula, your pick.

Not gonna lie, the non-super saiyan fights like Piccolo vs 17 and Vegeto (non-super) vs super buu was cool. Mystic Gohan's fight was good until he got trope'd into losing because "gg gohan but buu can absorb anyone lol"
>>
>>137587828
After Freeza, we got:

- a biological weapon with the DNA of all of the universe's greatest fighters, including the "emperor of the universe"

- evil incarnate from time immemorial (apparently Bibidi didn't create him, just knew how to summon him)

I think both of the main villains after Freeza were interesting in their own right. Although I enjoyed Cell and Buu, I still personally prefer Freeza because he was tied to the whole Saiyan extinction.
>>
>>137583996
Probably wondering why Goku and Vegeta would hook up with women they are afraid/annoyed by. Turned out they just have a genetic fetish for that kind of thing.
>>
Everything is canon because of alternate timelines.
Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.