[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is /a/'s opinion about Charlotte's ending? I
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 7
File: y1jyf7ivlfmsigxe4d9m.jpg (276 KB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
y1jyf7ivlfmsigxe4d9m.jpg
276 KB, 800x450
What is /a/'s opinion about Charlotte's ending?
I missed the reactions to it as it was airing since I didn't follow it at the time.
I just can't believe how hilariously lame and pointless that ending was.
I didn't have amazing expectations for the show, but holy shit, that was laughter-inducingly bad.
>>
>>137506815
It was fine.
>>
>>137506815
>I missed the reactions to it as it was airing since I didn't follow it at the time.
Or are you new to /a/? Charlotte was posted everywhere so it's ridiculously difficult not to know what /a/ thought of it.
>>
An ending that actually wraps up stuff is rare nowadays, so Im glad Charlotte delivered. A few retards didnt like it but they were a minority.
>>
>>137506815
Was great
>>
It's something that might have worked if the finale was it's own arc, like 4 or 5 episodes but in one episode, it was just a fucking joke
>>
I only really had a problem with the romance, it felt tacked on.
>>
If the last episode was an entire 12 episode series or something like refrain, it might have actually had some emotional impact at the end which seemed like what they were aiming for.

It wouldn't have been any less stupid though.
>>
>>137506815

just go to /co/ and start an X-men thread, pretty much what the series is all about anyway but with maeda-tier terrible writing.
>>
>>137506902
>so Im glad Charlotte delivered
>A few retards didnt like it but they were a minority
Pretty sure you're in the minority in thinking that the plot was resolved. Even at the end there were tons of plotholes.
>>
terrible
>>
>>137506890
It's called not reading threads about shows you aren't watching.
>>
>>137506815
Started out okay but by the end became disappointment of the season. Everything felt so rushed, and it seems Maeda just repeated his mistakes with Angel Beats despite him promising not to do so. At least the OP and ED were god-tier.
>>
>>137506967
Explain which ones, I bet you cant and are just being a contrarian shitter.
>>
>>137507031
>gains power of healing and god knows what other powers
>literally 2 minutes later becomes a cripple
>almost gets killed by a jackass with a crossbow
>>
Is it true that Nao Tomori was once a slut and a non-virgin that's why she was bullied by her classmates?
>>
>>137507120
Well, they did show him deteriorating over time. Its not like he was in top form and one second later became crippled.
>>
>>137506917
The romance was cringeworthy but the Final power is the POWER OF COURAGE!!!!!
scene takes the cake
That shit was next level hilarity
>>
I liked the ending, besides the bullshit to decide to not go back in time to save that one guy and unrape Nao for whatever stupid reason.
I mean, I guess the excuse is "bbuuut I wouldn't be seeeerious about this if I just went back whenever it went wrong", but it was LITERALLY just that ONE time.
>>
File: Not a Happy Camper.jpg (64 KB, 853x480) Image search: [Google]
Not a Happy Camper.jpg
64 KB, 853x480
>>137506815
I think this is one of the worst things in literature and one of the best examples of how to not write a story ever given the light of day.

It's poorly paced, characters underused, underdeveloped, and at time painful to here speak. The writer's craft completely broken, ideas stomped upon, plot points and questions left unfinished and unanswered, foolish author choices, and sharp contrast in tone from episode to episode.

The whole thing left me feeling like there was supposed to be a whole lot more here which is rather odd given that it was an original story. Never really seems to be able to figure out what it wants to be.

Which is a shame really because every possibility of what it could have been were interesting in it of themselves, be it edge-lord's descent into madness or a Pokemon high school drama with some twists along the way.

They had the pedigree, the means, and the art.

Yet somehow along the way more and more got stuffed into what should have and what could have been something much smaller and ultimately much more meaningful.
It was so ass I decided to save the text from my thoughts on it.
>>
I enjoyed it

I needed to watch it three times to feel that way though, first watch I was pretty annoyed.

The show was so unpredictable that I spent too much time wondering what was going on to really enjoy it. Rewatching felt much better.
>>
>>137509158
>The whole thing left me feeling like there was supposed to be a whole lot more here which is rather odd given that it was an original story

It's really not when you consider it'll likely be a VN like Angel Beats eventually.
>>
>>137507332
>Final power is the POWER OF COURAGE!!!!!

But that fit the story pretty perfectly. It was one of the few times when the show actually seemed like it knew what it was doing.
>>
>>137506815
I liked pretty much because I liked Nao, I wish she'd be in a better show
>>
>>137509255
I heard about that when I first posted it. Makes complete sense but not any less bitter for me.
>>
>>137509510
Honestly with the people involved you should have gone in expecting it to be at least on Angel Beats level of shit pacing.
>>
>>137509569
I watched Angel Beats when I was 15.

Beyond enjoying the music, I don't remember much of my feelings on it and I doubt I ever even paid attention to the pacing back then.
>>
>>137506815
It was awful, 4/10.

One of the few 4/10 anime I've managed to finish, only because I'd hoped that Maeda would turn it around "in the next episode".
Charlotte was a waste of time, talent, and budget. Just about everything was never resolved satisfactorily.
>>
>>137507332
I cringed so much at that scene. Also the sad music they played there is obnoxious.

I watched it until the end because Nao is 10/10.
>>
>>137506815
Yeah it was pretty bad, however it was really fun watching it with /a/ (especially with how many shitty twists the story had. It was great seeing anons posting dumb theories that got ruled out when the next shitty twist came two episodes later).
>>
It was honestly shit, it was too rushed, they couldve tied the story up concisely in the last few episodes, instead have the mc take the powers of everyone in the world in 1 episode and have him not remember anything about why he decided this
>>
>>137506815
The ending was kinda lame, but at least we got closure.

The only thing I wanted from the series was a confession, which we got. A kiss would've been nice though.
>>
>>137506815

Garbage. After Ayumi died the whole show just became a wreck. Yuu gets over her death in one episode, the show throws in a new character with zero impact for one episode, gaijin terrorists throw a wrench in the show and make everything up to that point irrelevant, then the show ends with some stupid POWER OF COURAGE shit that has zero impact because the beginning of the anime has no cohesion with the end of the anime and thus no emotional weight or impact.

I didn't watch Angel Beats, but I thought Maeda was already a crappy writer, and this only made me sure of it.
>>
Ending was shit.

Required about 24 episodes.
The romance was negligible.
He became infatuated with her of anther timeline, but the new one inexplicably likes him as well anyway, also 'waits a year', which they'd have had no contact during.
The reasoning for why he goes throw with his plan is flimsy, they don't acknowledge the chaos they will bring after removing powers, it's also a forced event, they are doing the same shit as the 'evil adult research corporations' did, fucking up peoples lives for their own agenda with no remorse and it's portrayed as something oh so good that just needs to happen.

It was just a rushed mess that didn't explore the multiple angels it needed to. An xmen powers v humans can be good, this just wasn't one of them.
>>
>>137507289

There was something about sleep equals him going on a rampage. Then we got some off hand mention that he gained the power that means he doesn't need sleep. Then there's a bit of bouncing around with him being rational and reasonable with no sleep, then tired and fucked up at the end. Not that consistent.
>>
>>137506815
Fantastic anime and ending, as expected of the top selling new IP of 2015. Maeda + PA Works is a tested formula that will continue to succeed even if vocal babbies cry about it on message boards
>>
>>137506815
Courage loli saved the show.
>>
>HELICOPTER OUT OF FUCKING NOWHERE

This was so bad it was hilarious.
>>
File: facepalm.jpg (100 KB, 714x804) Image search: [Google]
facepalm.jpg
100 KB, 714x804
>I can't use my new healing power to heal my eye and go back in time because that would be wrong
>so let's just not heal the eye at all for no reason whatsoever and have this completely unexplained by the show
>>
>>137511367
The power turns out the part of his brain that tells him he needs sleep (the pills he takes restore whatever it is that he's missing, allowing him to fall asleep). It doesn't actually kill his need to sleep, which is why he goes insane from not sleeping.
>>
>>137509255

But that makes it worse.

Usually it's:

>popular VN 20-50 hours long
>gets a 26 episode anime covering common + 'main girl'
>still missing vast amounts of the characterization, monologue and some minor subplots

People don't complain as much, because it's mostly there and you understand that the full story is 2-3x more, plus other girls/perspectives.

Then VN adaptions got worse, omnibus for all girls, rushed plot to fit in 13 episodes etc. And AB and Charlotte did it worse yet again.

Clearly written with enough material to expand upon for far longer than the 13 episodes each were given. The markets changed and they are going for anime first to test the waters before putting the effort into a 2~ year production cycle for a game. But they keep making the same fucking rushed mistakes.
>>
>>137511474
>almost dies after absorbing all the powers once
>lets go back in time and do it all over again
top kek
>>
>>137511474
The reason was he saw powers as harmful and something that should be completely eradicated from the world. Sure, they can be used for good but they weren't, they were just used to abuse the shit out of teenagers and hurt a bunch of people. It's not a particularly good explanation, but it was kind of the point of the show.
>>
>>137506815
The Phantom Pain
>>
>>137511573
You missed the point. I'm saying he could have healed his own eye and NOT used it to go back in time. It's fucking retarded.
>>
>>137511663
What difference would that make? Or you have to nitpick about every little thing to fit in?
>>
>>137511663
Didn't he say that he didn't heal his eye in the fear that he might accidentally do timeskips again ? I don't remember much from this piece of shit , other that episode 9 and 10 were the on'y good parts
>>
>>137506815
>there are people who unironically like this shit
everything about this show was shit
>>
>>137506815
Charlotte's problem was that it wanted to be three shows with only one cour allotted to it.
>>
>>137506815
It was shit as soon as the cliche idol girl showed up.
>>
>>137506916
>but in one episode, it was just a fucking joke
This, it seems like the whole show really needed more episodes.

Can someone remind me how idol-chan and speedbro were relevant again?
>>
Same thing happens for basically the first six episodes then suddenly enough material for two or three stand alone shows is crammed into the last half of the anime. Also what was the point of having Zhiend's character show up and hinted to have the same power as onii-chan and then never show up again?
>>
>>137511750
>Didn't he say that he didn't heal his eye in the fear that he might accidentally do timeskips again?
I don't recall this at all; maybe I watched a different translation than you did.
>>137511733
>What difference would that make?
Depth perception is pretty fucking neato.
>>
>>137511867
>Also what was the point of having Zhiend's character show up and hinted to have the same power as onii-chan and then never show up again?

To sell CDs, obviously.
>>
>>137511616

>village healer girl
>dozens of generic kids with harmless powers

The issue like in xmen, is about training and teaching people not to be idiots.

You don't go around breaking walls, furniture, delicate's etc. You could, but you don't because you have some fucking self control. Yes powers make doing that shit easier, but there's still that element of self control. So move your asses into some desert and learn.

The kids being abused and used for their powers is an obvious issue that could have been tackled as the core of the story, blanket removal is almost as bad as attempting full control or becoming experiments.

There was also the stuff about the previous generation knowing about it, the connection to some comet and why it wasn't public knowledge. It didn't present the 'modern world suddenly gets powers, but only a few thousand teens' very well at all.
>>
If it didn't have that weird, over-the-top, rushed ending, the show would be totally forgettable.
>>
>>137511843
They could have been made relevant if the show was long, but again, they were quickly shoved aside for all of the random plot important characters who showed up in the second half of the show. And even then, with all of those characters suddenly introduced, Only Onii-chan was really relevant. I guess you could count Pooh too, but he was around from the start and suddenly gained relevancy when the time travel shit was reveled.

Really what with Angel beats having a poorly developed large cast, you'd think they'd have a better time writing and developing a smaller cast. KEY has the resources, why don't they just stop fucking around and make a proper Visual novel? At the very least shell out a bit more money to produce at least a 25 episode anime instead of cramming all of that shit into 12-13 episodes.
>>
>>137512001
I think the idea was that even if they're using their powers for good now, the teenagers could still be treated like shit because of them. There's also the factor of "humans are better off being just humans" (which was best shown when Courage Loli, whose power sounds like a gift, was about to get killed because of it). If you remove the powers all of these problems go away and kids can just be kids without worrying about the things they did.

Honestly the show really suffered from not explaining any of this very well at all.
>>
livewatching the final episode was a blast though
>>
imagine if some ayylmaos came and wrecked Earth immediately after the ending and it turned out we actually needed those powers anyway
>>
I was honestly really enjoying it until the forced drama bullshit happened midway. After that it was just stupid and became more of a chore to watch. The OP song was fucking great though.
>>
>>137512314
Most of the powers were actually pretty shit and they often had bad side effects.
>>
File: 1438022668634.png (398 KB, 508x685) Image search: [Google]
1438022668634.png
398 KB, 508x685
>>137506815
Ending could have been a whole episode. Show suffered from a terrible identity crisis. It's like pitched the premise of "teenagers with superpowers", came back with 3 or 4 different ideas for an anime, and someone said just throw them all in a blender and use that.

Nao was good for smug.
>>
They fit enough ideas to make an entire second cour into a single episode, it was dumb.

They had a good formula going on with the 'power-of-the-week' stuff - if they continued that with the world tour, the squad trying to capture all the powers, all while there's conflict about Yuu's possibility of recovering his time travel powers, and him growing more alien as he captures more and more power.

That said, having seen Charlotte first, I didn't really have a problem with Angel Beats' pacing, at least.
>>
Everything about this show was nonsensical and dumb, but I guess Nao was cute.

Gaijin terrorists seemed like a last minute addition because they were finally running out of ideas or something.
>>
>>137512542
>They had a good formula going on with the 'power-of-the-week' stuff - if they continued that with the world tour, the squad trying to capture all the powers, all while there's conflict about Yuu's possibility of recovering his time travel powers, and him growing more alien as he captures more and more power.

The problem is that doesn't at all fit with the aim of the final episode.
>>
>>137512582
No matter how you look at it, there was just too much that they tried to do in 20 minutes.
>>
>>137512542
My problem with angel beats is that you COULD have had this plot happen in twelve episodes, but they wasted a lot of episodes on random filler moments, and juggling a LARGE cast. If they had like five or six characters and had a more focused plot, angel beats could have worked better as a show. Maybe get rid of the hypnotism plot and replace that arc with an arc about learning the truth about "Angel", resolving that plot point, and then focus more on the other shit. Just get rid of a lot of the filler shit for Angel beats.
>>
>>137512627
I think it worked fine

The point was to show him suffering while he gradually become the superpower jesus that released everyone from their burden. It wasn't meant to be a Pokemon style "catch all the powers" thing. It was a shitty task that only he could do.

Showing the key points of his journey was enough .
>>
>>137512394

That could have been a fun take on it. 'Should people with powers be locked up and controlled, experimented on for the sake of us all. Or left to run amok and take over (oh noes status quo is changing, we can't have that!)', throw in some moral issues of what team/degree each character lands on and then roll with the fact it's mostly teens and the powers have side effects/some are utter shit.

It tries to do bits and pieces, but doesn't do them long enough and the conclusion they come to is hand waved as 'because normal is best and we must enforce our world view!'.
>>
>>137512668

With 12 episodes of AB, they needed to either be full comedy of dead people (the common route) and just hint at things to come in the VN. Or go full 'this is a redemption/acceptance of circumstances' for ghosts and have them move on, they set it up with band girl in the first few episodes then blew the rest on comedy before rushing it.

Maeda or what ever key writing staff that handled/authorized the anime was an idiot. They have years of getting barely 50% of the VN adapted, why the fuck try to do something of the same length with half the episodes of normal?

All these key adaptions and 'proto VNs' keep making the same mistakes, you can see where they want to go but they can't execute it.
>>
>>137512721
I didn't mind that either, it showed all that was necessary.
>>
>>137506815
What was the fire girl's name again?

She really triggered me during her scenes.
>>
>>137514465
Yeah it's starting to get really annoying after a while. At this point i doubt the Charlotte VN will get off of the ground, if they even manage to finish angel beats.

It's really frustrating knowing that we could have a better product than what's put out. This is one of the few times where I think the writing staff should be less ambitious, and just focus on telling a simple story, if they're going to bother writing up an anime original.
>>
>the good guy goes around the world and removes literally everyone's special powers
>people somehow enjoy this ending

Removing something amazing to avoid evil people doing bad things is awful. I seriously cannot comprehend how people were okay with it. It's like cutting off someone's balls to stop evil people from taking his future kids away.
>>
File: Jun-Maeda.jpg (10 KB, 250x350) Image search: [Google]
Jun-Maeda.jpg
10 KB, 250x350
>Maeda said he was going to "fix" the mistakes of AB with Charlotte
>It was all a ruse because AB was almost flawless and everyone made mad bank with it as it was
>Western shitters swiftly BTFO by the master
MADMAN
>>
It was shit, but it was even more shit because it made me hope for better.
>>
It should have been 23 episode long. They introduced main characters in the first episodes who became suddenly useless and didn't had any development. And the later characters introduced suffered the same thing.

The ending felt rushed and incomplete. MC start to travel around the world the episode before the last one, and they resolve this with an ellipse of several years.
>>
It was like a satire of Maeda show written by Maeda.
Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.