[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Rain
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 5
File: 33.jpg (201 KB, 728x1062) Image search: [Google]
33.jpg
201 KB, 728x1062
Any Rain fans here? It's practically the only high-fantasy "sword and sorcery" manga with top tier art made in years.
>>
it's a shitty manga with mary sue protagonist

art is mediocre
>>
>>137341010
Show me better art of the same genre. Also you're completely wrong so I doubt you even read manga at all.
>>
>>137341087
>i disagree with you
>that MUST mean you don't read manga at all!!!!!!

retard logic right there. Rain is a gary stu protagonist, this is pretty much undeniable. He's good at swordsmanship, magic, charisma, is good-looking, gets loads of ladies, confident, etc. he has no flaws that mean anything

"better art of the same genre" already sets narrow stipulations. High fantasy is generally a setting rife with mediocrity, and in fact I'm struggling to even think of any good manga in that genre. Only one that comes to mind is Berserk, which, surprise surprise, has art far surpassing this
>>
>>137342055
>Berserk
>dark fantasy
The OP says high fantasy idiot.

Also he's the furthest thing from a Gary Stu. You didn't read it at all.
Basically he's the underdog protagonist but the manga/novel starts after he's finished his adventure. His entire existence is devoted to "becoming the strongest and protecting everyone" due to bandit rape when he was a kid.

If he was bad at all that stuff it'd be contradictory to his own mission in life an philosophy. He has a bunch of emotional problems around this.
Basically if he ever lost a fight he'd probably give up living and kill himself. He wants to be the strongest in the world, and the entire point is how he's now meeting with enemies living outside the bounds of man so he needs to soar to even greater heights than "strongest in the world".

Learn what a fucking Gary Stu is. He's not flawless by design, but by effort.
Not everybody needs to be a weak ugly betamale to not be a Gary Stu, some people are just insanely based and for good reason too. It's just another type of character.

People who spam Gary Stu when a character is strong as shit generally don't know what they're talking about in the first place so I don't blame you for your ignorance.
>>
>>137342246
>Learn what a fucking Gary Stu is. He's not flawless by design, but by effort.

It doesn't matter how he became that way. What matters is he's a boring, perfect protagonist I don't give a shit about. Backstories of Gary Stus are meaningless. It doesn't make them any more likable - it only justifies his existence. You can't give in-universe justifications for meta flaws. The only worthwhile thing you said in that entire post was bandit rape, which I did not know about
>>
File: 21 (1).jpg (178 KB, 728x1042) Image search: [Google]
21 (1).jpg
178 KB, 728x1042
>>137342568
>my opinion is what makes it a gary stu

You didn't read it so your opinion doesn't matter and you should stop talking. He has a well developed personality and motivation and not a single thing is tacked on just to make him flawless without reason.
>>
File: 20 (1).jpg (312 KB, 1456x1029) Image search: [Google]
20 (1).jpg
312 KB, 1456x1029
>>
MC is boring and all the supporting cast do is fellate him
>>
I love it but it updates so rarely that I try to wait a few months before reading
>>
>>137342796
>implying you wouldn't fellate him
it's darwinism

I actually like a group of loyal retainers and stuff, you don't see the loyal servant tag on MU enough. It really tickles my feudal lord simulator spot.
>>
>>137342796
Sums up my thoughts pretty well.
>>
>>137342700
>>137342720
>this is good art
>>
>>137342700
I'm not really sure why you keep insisting I haven't read it. I've read some of it and dropped it because of reasons I've already said. The problem is that you haven't matured beyond the sense of "as long as it's justified in-universe, it's fine."
>>
File: 002.png (4 MB, 2071x1400) Image search: [Google]
002.png
4 MB, 2071x1400
>>137342903
It's about as good as you can get for the artstyle it uses?

I bet you read like 3 manga right?
>>
>>137342943
>I've read some of it and dropped
that means you haven't read it. you seem to think characters should only be judged on their complexity from a outside perspective with someone with limited knowledge of a series.
>>
>>137342246
>The OP says high fantasy idiot.
Berserk takes place in it's own world with it's own rules. Regardless of tone that's high fantasy by definition.
>>
File: angels.png (2 MB, 2275x1600) Image search: [Google]
angels.png
2 MB, 2275x1600
>>137342948
>It's about as good as you can get for the artstyle it uses?
do you see what you're doing? If you're putting so many qualifies on it, it's not good. "as good as you can get for the artstyle," "best art of its genre." look at pic related for actual good art

I read shitloads of manga, how do you think I stumbled across this one?

>>137342994
>you need to read an entire series to be able to criticize it

this is as retarded as "you need to finish the 50-hour video game to be able to criticize it" or "you need to watch all 24 episodes of the anime to criticize it"
>>
I unironically loved it. Yeah yeah the MC is a super gary stu but he's a drunk, lovaeable superman who's into all women including little girls. He's entertaining. Also Sylvia a best.
>>
>>137340751
Waiting for more chs.
A pity LNs are not translated.
>>
>>137343125
I'm not the guy you're arguing with but I hope you're not implying that is good art. It's not even better than the pages you were complain about.
>I read shitloads of manga, how do you think I stumbled across this one?
Nice fedora. You're both autistic.
>>
>>137343125
The wings are literally shit.
>>
>>137343341
>>137343353
>arguing about the most subjective thing possible

I know this is pointless but at least say what you don't like about it
>>
The samefaggotry is strong in this thread. It's like 2 or 3 people just cannot deal with the fact that some people like entertaining protagonists, gary stu or not.
>>
>>137340751
Yeah, but the series is never updated.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.