[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What /a/re your thoughts on them?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 10
File: yen.jpg (16 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
yen.jpg
16 KB, 480x360
>>
>>137312634
great translation
shitty distribution
lack of digital version for nearly everything because muh piracy
they need to be replaced by a better company
>>
>>137313374
and who should replace them?
>>
>>137313403
a company that can actually distribute their product?
the only thing yen press got going for them is the translation which isn't really that impressive.
So any other company that can do digital versions and higher quality physical versions (another thing yen press can't do properly)
>>
>>137313374
>great translation
Stopped reading there
>>
>>137313503
Out of all the paperback books, YenPress feels the same or better than the competition. American manga and LN are shit all around.
>>
File: 1416023777390.png (80 KB, 184x184) Image search: [Google]
1416023777390.png
80 KB, 184x184
>>137313374
>great translation
>>
>>137313503
>a company that can actually distribute their product?

Japan did that once.

We got "Ursula's Kiss" instead of "Revolutionary Girl Utena". Fucking Japanese companies don't know shit about translation.
>>
File: local library.jpg (227 KB, 1005x842) Image search: [Google]
local library.jpg
227 KB, 1005x842
>shitty distribution

I can find their books in literally every local bookstore as well as the local public libraries.

How much more distribution do they need? Walmart?
>>
File: '.jpg (27 KB, 332x126) Image search: [Google]
'.jpg
27 KB, 332x126
>>137313374
>great translation
>>
Slow press is just too slow in terms of release speed.
>>
Decent, just fucking slow. People are crying about translations because their shitty scan group fucking blows.
>>
File: onepeacebooks.png (39 KB, 300x232) Image search: [Google]
onepeacebooks.png
39 KB, 300x232
We're getting the final volume of Spice and Wolf in April. They started in April 2009. I think they're in this for the long haul, which is good. People who can't wait seven years for a story to complete need to learn patience.

But I do wish they'd announce licenses sooner. Like, the-anime-aired-last-season sooner and not two years later like with Oregairu or five years like with Durarara.

I'm more worried about pic related. They have the Shieldbro license, aren't owned by a larger publishing group, and put out weird fucking releases with exactly 25 lines per page that I receive a month ahead of the Amazon release date.
>>
>>137315060
>People who can't wait seven years for a story to complete need to learn patience.
They used more time translating/releasing it than the author spent on writing and releasing it himself.
Despite always being plenty behind.
If they hadn't changed their schedule from twice a year to three times a year some years back then we wouldn't have the last volume until 3 years from now, even THEY realized eventually that they were too fucking slow.
>>
100 years wait for each volume release.
>>
>>137315115
Spice and Wolf Japanese releases, taken from Wikipedia:
2006/2/10
2006/6/10
2006/10/10
2007/2/10
2007/8/10
2007/12/10
2008/2/10
2008/5/10
2008/9/10
2009/2/10
2009/5/10
2009/8/10
2009/11/10
2010/2/10
2010/9/10
2011/2/10
2011/7/10

In terms of gaps in months, that's 4, 4, 4, 6, 4, 2, 3, 4, 5, 3, 3, 3, 3, 7, 5, and 5 months. That comes to a median of 4 months and an average of a little less. While they were slow at first, Yen Press is now, at regular triennial releases, on par.

That aside, Jesus, why always the 10th?
>>
File: 1455061585885.jpg (52 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1455061585885.jpg
52 KB, 640x480
>>137312634
They should fucking licence Hakomari instead of generic fantasy fap bait garbage like overlord or haremshit like Asterisk, Index.

Wish they would pick up kino no tabi as well.
>>
>>137315860

>should fucking licence Hakomari instead of generic fantasy fap bait garbage like overlord

So they can sell a few hundred copies to an unproven market?

Overlord anime created enormous interest for the LNs (that is why the anime was made in the first place and it worked. Sales literally tripled during the broadcast season). It already has a proven market in the west.
>>
>>137312634
How is the paperback quality? I wanna buy something to scan it.
>>
File: Revival Crystal.png (658 KB, 1128x1600) Image search: [Google]
Revival Crystal.png
658 KB, 1128x1600
They licensed those shitty SAO manga adaptations, but they won't license the 4koma for whatever reason.

They even licensed Girls Ops, does anyone even read that? Other than me?
>>
>>137315860
they licenced overlord ;_;
translation group droped it now I have to wait for like 5 years till the story continues, better learn superiu nipponu languageu
>>
>>137312634
I find it hilarious those fucks who read machine translations get mad at them licencing shit. Gives me good humour but talking about them strictly i don't really like any of the series they pick up
>>
>>137316452
>better learn superiu nipponu languageu

Yep so you can read actual literature from nipland like murakami's works.
>>
>>137315722
>That aside, Jesus, why always the 10th?
Dengeki Bunko releases light novels on the 10th of the month, it's not that hard to figure out.
>>
>>137313403
In perfect consumer world. Amazon. They'd slap shit like LNs on their monthly unlimited reading program.
>>
I just want to finish reading Bungaku Shoujo, that's all.
>>
File: 1421205516239.jpg (55 KB, 618x562) Image search: [Google]
1421205516239.jpg
55 KB, 618x562
>>137312634
They're good for series that were never going to have fast and/or halfway decent translations in the first place, though releases are still stupidly slow and questionable translations pop up every now and then.

Yen Press localizations are practically death sentences for the rare projects that are done well, though.
>>
>>137315060
Spice and wolf was published from 2006-2011 (5 years)
translated it from 2009-2016 (7 years) something is wrong here.
>>
I wish they worked faster, they already make use of translations available on the internet, and even when they don't their translations are pretty much the same quality.

They license already hyped stuff so if they make fans wait 7 fucking years like they did with S&W just to get to the point of the story that already has translations available on the internet, they failed as a publishing company and they will simply lose sales.

>>137316637
Everyone gets mad at them, not just MTL readers, the reason being that whenever they pick up something, they take years to reach the point where fan translations are. They also end up fucking everyone outside America.
>>
>>137315722
>guys dont you enjoy reading 3 books a year xD

they do it purely for marketing reasons, its slow bullshit designed to weasle children out of their holiday/birthday money rather than regularly provide a product.
>>
File: 532824.jpg (111 KB, 468x640) Image search: [Google]
532824.jpg
111 KB, 468x640
The Baccano light novels are 20$ and they're hardcovers.

I still think that's a bit expensive.
>>
>>137316944
From what I've seen they release some series 3 or 4 times a year which is alright I guess.

What do you mean they fuck over people outside US?
>>
>>137317279
Ehh for me in The UK shit cost the same as Vinlad saga volumes.

Hard covers are usually round that price though.
>>
>>137317339
Shit meant to reply to >>137317069
>>
>>137317279
They buy the license to publish in the Unied States. People from all over the world are reading the fan translations. When they're licensed in the US, the fan translaters just quit. For readers outside the US, it simply takes away all access to the books.
>>
>>137317279
>From what I've seen they release some series 3 or 4 times a year which is alright I guess.
That's pretty slow for 200 page books that already have decent translations on the internet. And some series aren't even lucky enough to get those many releases.

>What do you mean they fuck over people outside US?
They don't release their novels outside of the US, so people who rely on fan translations get fucked when they're DMCA'd
I have to import LNs using Amazon now thanks to them, and I'm not the only one.
>>
>>137317279
Readers and contributors in places like Brazil will have trouble trying to support the release without getting fucked over in other costs.

If book series A is licensed in North America's amazon service, then the Brazil buyer may need to have a North American Region supported device or use an intermediary buyer to buy Book Series A.
>>
>>137317404
>When they're licensed in the US, the fan translaters just quit

If that is the cases why doesn't a fnsub group start in englandland or Australia?
>>
Retarded business model.

>series gets anime
>anime gets slightly popular
>yen press gets rights near the end of the anime or months after it finishes airing
>first volume comes out the next year, in some cases longer
>6-8 months between new volumes
>>
>>137317598
Because fan translators are nuts, who always want to host in United States. It's really stupid.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-02-11-19-04-31-1.png (929 KB, 1440x2244) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-02-11-19-04-31-1.png
929 KB, 1440x2244
>>137317421
Why would they rely on fan translations though? Also releasing volumes at a very fast rate would be a bad idea from a business perspective.
>>137317404
>>137317421
>>137317456
Ehh but if I was to buy a LN now and I ain't even from the US i can just get one literally the next day from amazon, or is it just places like brazil or some shit?

Why don't fan translators use those shitty blog sites then?
>>
>>137317942
>Why would they rely on fan translations though?
Because that's what everyone relies on when something isn't officially translated or released in your country, unless you know moon.

>Also releasing volumes at a very fast rate would be a bad idea from a business perspective.
It really depends.
If it's series that has translations already, they're going to lose sales the more they take to release a volume, because people would have time to read the translations available on the internet, and only the most faithful fans would still buy the book.s
If it's a new series without/few translations, it's better to release in a slower way. It doesn't mean it won't piss off the fans though.

>but if I was to buy a LN now and I ain't even from the US i can just get one literally the next day from amazon
As I said, people from other countries have to import from Amazon, but it's a pain in the ass, because you have to pay extra for shipping, taxes and wait for the shipping to arrive.
>>
>>137317942
>Why don't fan translators use those shitty blog sites then?

That's a good question.
>>
>>137317069
Hardcovers are usually around that price, from what I've bought.
>>
>>137317942
e-peen
>>
>>137317942

Which shitty blog site?
>>
>>137318205
>>137317942

Nevermind, I misunderstood this line:
>Why would they rely on fan translations though?

Thinking you were asking about people outside the US.

The reason why YP would rely in fan translations is because their work isn't any better than a good fan translation, and in fact back then they actually used the fan translation of Haruhi to make their books (they hired the translator IIRC). I think they have used others too, but I'm not sure.

They still get DMCA'd I think, Sky got DMCA'd about Gifting even when it was hosted on his blog and not BT.
>>
>>137317066
You can keep up with more than one series at a time, anon.
>>
>>137318205
Wouldn't they have professional translators hired though? So I'd assume they'd ignore it in most cases.

Don't most people who read books prefer it to have it psychically though?

In all honesty they probably cater to those who only saw the anime a while ago anyways and not those who've been reading the LN fan translations already.

You should just make an amazon prime account for free and get day 1 shipping.
>>
>>137317066
Actual books usually don't even come more than once a year you entitled fuck.
>>
>>137318880

what are you even saying

they're just fucking translations with a backlog of >12 volumes, they aren't writing new novels you retard. Don't compare the two.
>>
>>137318880
Actually, LNs usually come out every 3-4 months. When you need the same amount of time to translate a book as it takes to write it, you're doing something wrong.
>>
>Selling subhuman bottom of the barrel trash anime in book form

Their manga suck too.
>>
>>137319097
They're not released every 3-4 months just because that's how long it takes to write them. They're released at that pace because it maximizes sales. Releasing translations as fast as they can be edited would be completely retarded.
>>
>>137316699
>japanese stephen king
>>
Fan translators have ways around the DMCA bs but don't proceed to take them.

Actually annoys me some try use the licencing excuse just to cover up the fact they can't be bothered any more.
>>
>>137318835
>Wouldn't they have professional translators hired though? So I'd assume they'd ignore it in most cases.
As I said, they have actually paid for fan translations already (with Haruhi). They could probably do it again with actual good translations like Sky's.

>Don't most people who read books prefer it to have it psychically though?
Obviously, but when they have read the PDF version already, most people don't want to spend their money on a book they already read.

>In all honesty they probably cater to those who only saw the anime a while ago anyways and not those who've been reading the LN fan translations already.
Those two fanbases overlap a lot, most successful adaptations also have a huge LN fanbase behind them.

>You should just make an amazon prime account for free and get day 1 shipping.
And pay even more money? No thanks, I'm fine waiting.

Anyway, I was just trying to explain how are the people outside the US fucked by them, not trying to say they're bad, I did say in my post that my biggest complaint is their speed.
>>
>>137319726
Sky translates from CN though, so probably not.
>>
>>137319097
>When you need the same amount of time to translate a book as it takes to write it, you're doing something wrong.

There could be more to it than that. The biggest fear for a small publisher is saturating a niche market. Over-producing is costlier than under-selling and it has led to other publishers going under in the past. This is because the publishing industry actually pays bookstores to return the unsold books at a huge cost.

Bookstores have limited shelf space and they know the consumers (especially young adults) do not have unlimited purchasing power.

The publishers also want to spread out their new releases so that they are not competing against their own titles. By spreading things out they have opportunities to slip in new titles and at the same time gives book stores more time to thin out their shelves.

tl;dr

It isn't just LNs that do this. All publishers try to spread out their releases a much as possible. That is just how the North American market works.
>>
>>137319778
They're fine, at least LH's and Overlord's were
>>
>>137319726
>And pay even more money? No thanks, I'm fine waiting.
>Not knowing about the free 30 day amazon trial which is easily exploitable for many uses

Not even him but baka senpai
>>
>>137319988
It would probably be best to translate from the original source for an official product.
>>
>>137312634
shit ans slow
>>
>>137319726
>Those two fanbases overlap a lot, most successful adaptations also have a huge LN fanbase behind them.

Yeah in japan, people who read light novels before an anime adaption are obscure as fuck in the west unless it's SAO tier or atleast has a manga following.
>>
>>137314322
>How much more distribution do they need? Walmart?
Kindle
>>
>>137315060
They put out Sasameki Koto so they'll always be alright in my books.
>>
They don't localize anything I want to read. For most stuff it's still scanlating groups or just learning Japanese if you actually want to read it.

Maybe if they ever started releasing more Kirara shit my opinion on them would improve.
>>
>>137319983
Maybe so, but LNs in the west are generally a secondary market to anime. The best selling series are the ones that have popular anime working for them, and by intentionally slowing the release schedule you're letting the interest in the series dissipate. What's even worse is that the first volumes will be a reiteration of what the fans have already seen in the anime, so that there's the risk of fans not wanting to read the same thing that they've seen, and spending years to catch up with the adaptation's material (like 3-4 years they'll need to reach the end of Index S2).

It's even more problematic when the novels were already fan translated, since many potential consumers have already caught up with Japan and they're not interested in waiting even longer for the official novels to reach that point. This problem could be avoided if the translations were significantly better than the fanmade ones, but usually the editing and QC are bad enough to make these people quit after the first volume.
>>
>>137312634
They don't really publish much that I'm interested in.
I might pick up Nozaki-Kun though
>>
>>137320732
>The best selling series are the ones that have popular anime working for them,

How many series are like that though? Most are just flops besides big names like SAO or that raildex shit.
>>
Let me use this thread, how was Vertical's Kizumonogatari?
>>
>>137317069
It's not too bad for a hardcover.
>>
>>137321629
I'm also curious about this
>>
>>137321629
Just go ask this in a mongatari thread.
>>
>>137316382
This so much. Is there something about 4koma I'm missing? Also anon, you're not alone in reading Girls' Ops.
>>
>>137317629
Danmachi was a rare exception. LN 1st volume was out even before the anime aired.
>>
>>137316857
what do you mean? if you're not talking about the side stories, it's finished. i own all 8 volumes
>>
>>137324327
>>137324366
very good. before it came out people were ready to bash it into the ground, but then once it came out, nobody did. also, the first print flew off shelves, and i'm pretty sure the second is too, so we'll probably get more of the series
>>
>>137316930
If you read the thread, you'd know why. They went from 2 or 3 releases a year to 3 or 4.
>>
>>137312634
Expensive, but print quality on 14 sai no Koi is incredible.
Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.