[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just watched Akira (1988), and I would like these two hours of
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 11
File: Cover.jpg (147 KB, 509x600) Image search: [Google]
Cover.jpg
147 KB, 509x600
Just watched Akira (1988), and I would like these two hours of my life back.

The first half of the movie is mind-numbing boring.

And the crazy shit that happens afterwards, that usual supernatural bullshit that most japanese media has, the feeling of having no idea what the fuck is going on... all that give me mixed feelings about the movie.

But I would like to know, does /a/ like Akira?
>>
>>137208095

I like the movie, it's still the best animation Japan has ever produced, even after all these years.

i found the manga dragged horribly, made less sense than the movie, and lacked likeable characters to care about.
>>
>>137208095
I think very rarely people love the story. Especially since cyberpunk has evolved as a genre in japanese media and produced lots of better works in terms of narrative and settings. But it's still a spectacle in terms of animation quality and visual design. I'd watch it just for that.

If you're not really interested in film or animation or the cyberpunk genre it would rather be a waste of time.
>>
>>137208095
It's still entertaining to watch. The animation is good for it's year and the story doesn't leave too many loose ends.
>>
>>137209053
Jin-Roh is another one with really good animation
>>
>>137209053

I think none of the characters are meant to be "likeable", they just represent how fucked up and beyond any salvation the world in Akira is.
>>
Objectively speaking, it's a bad movie.

The only reason it gets any respect is because of ground-breaking special fx / animation / whatever. Think Blade Runner. Except at least Blade Runner bothered to tell you what the fuck was going on.
>>
R E A D T H E M A N G A Y O U T A S T E L E S S F A G G O T S
>>
>>137208095
> i want 2 hours of my life back
so you could watch what exactly?
>>
Nope. The manga isn't much better.
>>
>>137209053
The only thing the movie has over the manga IS the animation. Everything else was just a downgrade. Though you probably didn't read the entire manga since it explains everything to you quiet explicitly, but I guess some faggots would rather watch the pretty light show instead.
>>
>>137208095
Read the manga
>>
>>137208095
I haven't watched it yet, but the manga was great.
>>
Fantastic animation. Greatest of all time.

I liked the plot of the movie when I first saw it but then I read the manga and realized it was one of those rushed adaptations and the manga was better.

Still pretty though
>>
I like it.
>>
>>137210316
I'm sorry you're retarded.
>>
I adore the movie, one of the greatest sci-fi animated films. Amazing soundtrack as well. Crazy how they gave the Otomo the director's chair considering he had zero experience. Who'd have guessed he'd be fucking good?
>>
>>137210316
You're literally what's wrong with people, there are NO EFFECTS, the ENTIRE thing was hand drawn.
>>
Thing that bothers me the most about Akira is how people wonder why other anime doesn't look like it as if every anime in the world had practically every studio at the time working on it like Akira did
>>
>>137210316
>at least Blade Runner bothered to tell you what the fuck was going on
Is Akira really that confusing of a plot? I mean, the last 10 minutes are a little nebulous but it's pretty easy to follow.
>>
>>137211116
>The only thing the movie has over the manga IS the animation
No, the movie has that great, gamelan inspired soundtrack too.
>>
>>137213620
Do people actually do that? Even those "WHAT HAPPENED" fags usually have enough subtlety not to use it for their old anime example.
>>
>>137210711

>unironically telling people to skip the Akira movie
>>
>>137215533
>not understanding that whether or not you liked the movie, the manga is a timeless classic and everybody should read it
>>
>>137215624
The movie is also a timeless classic "whether or not you liked the manga."
>>
>>137213694
people are idiots, this is proven over and over again. Even as a kid i could understand what was going on in akira, without having read the manga back then. Even End of Evangelion is easy to understood if you start to actually pay attention to what they are saying instead of just waiting for more fightscenes and vagina foreheads
>>
File: 57Fao.jpg (75 KB, 680x471) Image search: [Google]
57Fao.jpg
75 KB, 680x471
>>137208095
>>
>>137216321
Its not that western audiences are retarded. Because of convention, western audiences expect to be told a story, while japanese audiences are familiar with the idea of being shown a story. If people entering the movie theater were told before hand to pay attention to what was shown, they would get it.
>>
File: a6dy9L8_460sa_v1.gif (3 MB, 240x320) Image search: [Google]
a6dy9L8_460sa_v1.gif
3 MB, 240x320
>>137210316
>Objectively
Stopped reading right there
>>
>>137216518
That's a retarded notion. Evangelion has blatant exposition, Yui, Rei and Shinji explain everything that's going on in the movie. While Misato, Ritsuko and Seele including Gendor explain what's goin on in the series, we have a whole flashback episode dedicated to explaining what's going on. Same goes for Akira with the scientist, Ghost in the Shell with Motoko and the Puppeteer, Angel's Egg with the Cross guy, Utena with the shadow girls, Akio and Anthy, Lain has the scientist dude and then a whole episode dedicated to exposition (one with the files) etc. Every more complex shown or films has everything explained to you.

It's western films, with the works of Kubrick, Lynch, Jodorowsky, Bergman, Bunuel who have films relying visual exposition. Have you seen 2001? There isn't anyone telling you what's going on. You have to figure it out based on fuckin match cuts.
>>
File: image.jpg (334 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
334 KB, 2048x1536
>>137208095
>get excited because I see an akira thread
>it's just a contrarian pleb taking shit

You hurt me, senpai
>>
>>137217908
Of the directors you listed, only Kubrick and to some extent Lynch have achieved any sort of mainstream success.

I'm not him, and I don't agree with him, so I'm not trying to say that one is more/less reliant on specific story telling methods, but at the very least it's not a case of one over the other being more subtle.
>>
>>137213471

I wouldn't say he had zero experience since he would have already directed his sequences of Neo-Tokyo and Robot Carnival Those were first premiered in some capacity in 1987 (you see multiple release dates for Neo-Tokyo, but I guess that's for the wider releases.)
>>
>>137218964
All of those achieved pretty big recognition in their own countries and bigger world wide recognition than the anime directors of the works i mentioned.

Utena, Lain, Ange's Egg also didn't really become that popular. Only Ghost in the shell and NGE did, EoE never did.

As for subtlety? It is the case of one being more subtle than the other.
>>
>>137219246
Well shoot, I thought Akira was his debut. Thanks for the correction.
>>
>>137209053
Is this bait?
>>
>>137208095

I agree. Has the best drawn animation in a film ever though.
>>
agreed.

overrated.
but only bc i went in expecting 10/10 god tier shit.
only got something like 6-7/10
>>
>>137208095

It feels like there's a lot of shit missing for some reason.

Maybe I should have read the manga.
>>
>>137224487
It's never too late
>>
>>137210316
>Except at least Blade Runner bothered to tell you what the fuck was going on.

>being a tasteless nigger watching the theatrical version with narration

>being so retarded you can't see that Akira is a basic Macguffin story

Jesus, kill yourself fucktard.
>>
>>137213572
>entirely hand drawn

>he doesn't know about the falling glass shards when Takashi screams after watching that gets gunned down
>>
>>137208095
>watching Akira for the plot
You silly, if you want some plot just read the manga, the movie is only top tier animation wank.
>>
>>137210164
So is Patlabor 2 (and even 3 even though it's not much a patlabor), or GitS.
>>
>>137208095

just out of curiosity, what is your favorite anime? and what resolution/display did you watch Akira in
>>
File: 1452137968337.png (847 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
1452137968337.png
847 KB, 900x900
>>137208095

the scenes could have been played in reverse or even random order, and Akira would still be one of the better Japanese animated films of all time. as is it's possibly the greatest feature length animation in human history

>>137218887

this post summed up my feelings perfectly
>>
>>137208095
It's fucking garbage, read the manga.
>>
>>137216518
>were told before hand to pay attention to what was shown
Film is a medium that uses both pictures and sounds, so it'd be obvious to pay the fucking attention to what is going on on the screen as well as to what is being told.
>>
>>137208095
Go back to 1998 and watch it, its amazing.

Also, Chronocentric comments on scifi, great job Anon.
>>
File: 2814-vaporwave-album-cover.jpg (126 KB, 750x450) Image search: [Google]
2814-vaporwave-album-cover.jpg
126 KB, 750x450
What are some good examples of Cyberpunk Anime/Manga? I've watched Ghost in the Shell but I found it boring as hell (unlike the movies expecially the first one)
>>
>>137228428
This season's Koukaku no Pandora will probably revolutionize the genre.
>>
How many fucking Akira threads are on the board? Did some internet blogger recommend it all of a sudden like Chunni?
>>
File: REDLINE_04.webm (2 MB, 600x337) Image search: [Google]
REDLINE_04.webm
2 MB, 600x337
>>137228428
Try REDLINE

Ignore the writing.
>>
When I saw it in the 90s I thought it was pretty cool but it some how didn't stand out to me from the rest of the sci fi anime and I was much more interested in Eva and Gundam(s) and such.

When I watched it 10+ years later I think it's absolutely amazing and not overrated at all. It's beautiful, unique, exciting and rich in spiritual allegory.

One thing I really enjoyed is that the manga is different enough that it's a great read after watching the movie. But the movie still nails all the important stuff and makes full use of the visuals.
>>
File: tetsuo.jpg (307 KB, 1020x1489) Image search: [Google]
tetsuo.jpg
307 KB, 1020x1489
>>137209053
>>>didn't care about Tetsuo
Fuck you go watch/read it again!
>>
>>137208095
I enjoyed Akira more than GitS to be honest. GitS kinda lost me at the end with all the philosophical bullshit. SAC is fucking great though.
>>
>>137209053
>found the manga dragged horribly, made less sense than the movie
Learn how to read.
>>
>>137208095

What not enough fanservice for you?

Go and watch your moeshit with little girls instead-
>>
Must watch/read of /a/ viewers.
>>
Is this that source of the webm where the woman masturbates on a reving bike?
>>
>>137230761

GITS was complete shit. Idk wtf is up with you anime faggots.

Most Miyazaki stuff is good. Nausicaa was really good. My brother is a massive otaku faggot and every time I watch so called masterpieces, like Akira and GIts, I just it bland bullshit
>>
>>137231141
oh I'll add ONE caveat. The artwork in GITS was really great. I'll admit the level of drawing is very high, but the story is dumb, just like Akira
>>
>>137208095

I got everything from the movie but I still found it mediocre at best.

Also the soundtrack is the worst thing I have heard in my life.
>>
>>137231116
No that's Golden Boy.
>>
>>137213460
I'm sorry you're a retard who blindly believes ignorant critics that praise this horseshit
>>
>>137231141
>GITS was complete shit

nah, your opinion fits that description better
>>
File: bait.png (79 KB, 913x767) Image search: [Google]
bait.png
79 KB, 913x767
>>137231141

>gits was shit
>idk wtf anime faggots
>>
>>137231141
Go watch Evangelion. It's kind of a filter. Then come back. Or don't. Nobody will care for your half assed opinions anyway.
Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.