[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
am i the only one who hates subtitles?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 11
File: 37235757.png (508 KB, 704x528) Image search: [Google]
37235757.png
508 KB, 704x528
nb4 can't read it's just the the split moment i read i miss small details in there facial expressions and it just turns me off.
>>
All anglo media is subtitled here so I got used to them at 5 years of age or so. I've never felt that I missed something because I was reading subtitles, I can read them while focusing on other stuff.

I don't really like how they are in the way of the actual picture, though. Preferably I'd just understand the native audio.

Any dubs I've tried sound completely off.
>>
>>137189650
Why are you posting here?
>>
A good dub will always be able to portray a message better than any subtitles. Voice-acting isn't just reading a message, it's the intonation, the emotion, the timing that makes something great.
For this reason I absolutely can't watch subbed comedy.
>>
>>137189650
You're just not used to it yet. I'm so used to it that I instinctively read subtitles even if I already know the language. I read them so fast that I don't miss any details on-screen.
>>
you must have the reading speed of a cocksucking retard
>>
>>137189650
How is the NGE dub?
>>
File: 1454897641114.jpg (75 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
1454897641114.jpg
75 KB, 600x400
>>137190417
Last night I was advised to watch the Dub.
I watched it.
And I loved it.
>>
>>137190145
thx good to know
>>
>>137190417
Not good.
>>
Are you looking at the screen through a paper tube so you can't see the subs and the characters at the same time?
>>
>>137190417
Watchable.
apart from Shinji and some others who sound terrible.
>>
>>137189650
Good dub > Good sub > bad sub > bad dub.

Subtitles are a little distracting, and I feel that some shows are close to impossible to follow when subbed. Tatami Galaxi for example. It was pretty much reading an illustrated book.

Also, does anybody else move subtitles to the top of the video instead of the bottom?
>>
ENGLISH dubfags are retarded casuals that can't be taken seriously.
I'm no native English speaker but I do have a good english and I can clearly see how terrible and almost amateur-like voice actors for anime and cartoons are. They are extremely shitty. They tend to be generic and completely exaggerate the lines in a very childish way.

Voice actors in my language are 10x times better than English voice actors. It is a whole different level. Yet I still don't like watching my own language dubs, even tough they are pretty good. You don't need to be fluent in Japanese to completely understand the nuances and intonations and even language jokes to fully appreciate the native version of an anime. One year studying Japanese and getting accustomed to the intonations and that is all what you need. Trust me, I also studied 2 years of Japanese and can watch a SoL without subtitles and understand about 80% of what they are talking about (I watched Working 3 with no subs).

Back to English dub:
When you watch a high-budget CGI dreamworks/disney movie with proper AA actors doing the dubbing, the level of quality is COMPLETELY DIFFERENT than that of cheap dub studios. Because U.S. is the leader of producing native-language media and rarely import movies or series to the mainstream television or cinema. This means that it's one of the major language countries with the most amateurish dubbers in the world because the population is used to watch things in their native language. Animation and series-dubbers are almost amateurs and they are usually used to only dubbing cheap kid's cartoon.

In my country there are dubs even for stupid sit-con series like TBBT. The market of dubbers is vastly superior to that of US, still it can't compare to the Japanese industry, because THEY ARE THE COUNTRY THAT MOST NEEDS DUBBERS IN THE WORLD! Not only do they dub foreigner series, they also need to dub their own animated production, which is HUGE, they acting is suberb.
>>
>>137191791
Continue'd:
I watch French, South-american and Itallian movies all the time and don't need to be locked to a single language/culture based production.

For North-Americans, watching anything not produced in English is completely alien, it is much harder for them getting accustomed to watch anime in Japanese. Most that still insist in defending the dubs haven't actually completely borded the Japanese-culture and are CASUALS still badly accustomed to only consuming things in English.
I also used to frequent large anime forums in my language, you would never see anyone defending that watching dubbed anime is better than the original Japanese. The only people that argued this was usually the filthiest shounentards arguing how the Japanese Dragon Ball original dub is very weird (because they were used to the excellent dubbed version they saw on television). But taht is pretty much the exception.
That was my main point.

The conclusion and TL;DR of all this is:

Those that prefer the atrocious English dubs are stupid casuals that don't know shit about Japanese to get most of the basic nuances of intonations of the language, are spoiled as fuck because they are not used to consume material outside their native language, so they never even get accustomed to having subtitles on the screen, and have such low standards to their own language, that they prefer a text less version with exaggerated shitty amateurish actors in English than making a small effort to getting to understand Japanese and stop bothering with subtitles.

They are mass-culture sheep that never watch an European movie and think the world revolves around their shitty cultural-canned culture and have only watched anime here and there.
>>
I enjoyed YYH and Golden Boy dubbed, everything else gave me ear bleeding. It has to do with amateurs who can't find a fine line between monotone and exaggeration.
>>
This thread makes me curious, are there any dubs which /a/non will admit to liking? The Cat Returns has a great dub. I basically refuse to watch Cromartie in Japanese now, the dub is too hilarious to pass up.
>>
>>137191858
I loved the Stand Alone Complex dub, mostly because Mary Elizabeth McGlynn did such a good job at copying the Major's Japanese voice.

The VAs for Aramaki and Batou were also pretty good.
>>
>>137191837
I hated the YYH dub when I saw it as a kid, but maybe I'd be more open to it now.

>>137192019
I had actually forgotten about this. Seconding it as a good dub, very listenable. Though I largely prefer subtitles, it's nice to have dubbed anime I can put on while multitasking.
>>
i would watch dubs if 95% of them weren't trash
>>
I'm swedish and we've never had anything dubbed here so we always had to read subtitles in movies where they speak english until the point where you're old enough to understand everything without subs. We're used to subs here in other words.

Still can't help but think how annoying it is to have your eyed glued at the bottom of the screen constantly. Would much rather prefer to understand it without subs, but since almost all english anime dubs are garbage it's an easy choice.

Only solution is to learn japanese I guess.
>>
File: Ihatemyself.jpg (735 KB, 1360x2612) Image search: [Google]
Ihatemyself.jpg
735 KB, 1360x2612
>>137189650
>i miss small details in there facial expressions
>in anime
>with eva screenshot
>an anime known to regularly use still shots of NOTHING FUCKING HAPPENING
>>
File: Kyon_08.jpg (48 KB, 500x357) Image search: [Google]
Kyon_08.jpg
48 KB, 500x357
>>137191791
>I have a good english
>>
>>137190032
>he can't understand vocal intonations if they are in another language
Are you a mental incompetent?
>>
>>137192635
Nice strawman.
>>
>>137192388
English dubs are always amazingly bad, and since most anime usually doesn't have all that much subtle nuances in visuals or all that much dialog I don't mind reading them.

The small pool of voice actors who do low budget localization are through design of the system, or through incompetence incapable of doing something that doesn't sound like exaggerated cartoon voices.

Jap voice actors however actually sound natural when they have to (inb4 someone claiming that baka gaijins can't hear anything about a voice if they don't understand a language). Now I don't mean that jap voice actors are always like that, clearly a lot of the roles in anime are exaggerated for the sake of the show, but the jap voice actors have a good spreading of vocal talent. When they need someone to do something serious they manage to find someone.

Compare that to even decent English dubs, which mostly have the same "talent" in nearly every gig and who either sound dead inside, or like they think they are voicing a children's cartoon. Their affect is amazingly bad, I mean it's worse than how the natural voices of people off the street on some low budget television series. I honestly never could understand how anyone could put up with this crap, let alone call these dubs "Good".
>>
>>137192388
lol the only anime i've watched is the first two Episodes of Tokyo Ghoul
>>
Haha yea man it is soooooo distracting. I look down for one second at a snapchat from my gf and I miss everything!! It's like, if I wanted to read I would read a comic book right haha! Anyways my suggestion is to only search out dubs, that is all i use now. I love dubs so much I even get them in my posts.
>>
File: 1454860064488.png (31 KB, 173x258) Image search: [Google]
1454860064488.png
31 KB, 173x258
>>137194188
Holy shit
>>
>>137190032
>it's the intonation, the emotion, the timing that makes something great.
Problem is that most dubs fuck up at least one of the three. Or have just one character fucked up so badly that it ruins the whole dub.

I've heard too many good dub scripts turned to shit by incompetent sound directors and voice actors.
>>
File: 1454904049912.png (25 KB, 274x280) Image search: [Google]
1454904049912.png
25 KB, 274x280
>>137194188
>I love dubs so much I even get them in my posts.
>>
>>137189650
>I can't read subtitles with peripheral vision

Hi burger, don't forget to check your blood sugar level so it doesn't fuck up your vision
>>
File: 1441269243751.jpg (21 KB, 540x405) Image search: [Google]
1441269243751.jpg
21 KB, 540x405
>>137194188
>>
File: happening.gif (768 KB, 600x313) Image search: [Google]
happening.gif
768 KB, 600x313
>>137194188
>I love dubs so much I even get them in my posts
>>
>>137194240
I haven't either. But that's why they're not considered good dubs.
>>
yeah anon i agree

i turn off the subs and watch the anime in original japanese dubs

why the fuck would you watch anime as a hobby and not even learn anything remotely useful out of it such as learning nipponese? gawd anon you dickweed you're such a baka loser
>>
>>137194525
dude, we watch it for the experience brah....
looks like someone needs a lil kussshhhh
>>
File: 1452397202002.png (207 KB, 456x456) Image search: [Google]
1452397202002.png
207 KB, 456x456
>>137194188
>>
File: 1391293416636.png (509 KB, 663x458) Image search: [Google]
1391293416636.png
509 KB, 663x458
>>137194188
>>
>>137189650
Are you autistic or something?
>>
>>137190995
I think this is right on the money. Dubbing creates a higher ceiling, but a lower floor. You can do great things... or fuck things up royally.
>>
File: image.jpg (21 KB, 315x190) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
21 KB, 315x190
>>137194188
Also...

DAFUQ
A
F
U
Q
>>
>>137190417
At the beginning it's absolute garbage.
EoE is bearable though.
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.