[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Will there ever be an anime about autism?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 5
File: download.jpg (8 KB, 240x135) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
8 KB, 240x135
Will there ever be an anime or visual novel about autism? I'm autistic and I'm really disappointed at how it is underrepresented in animation, especially anime. If an anime about autism was ever made it should be centred on a female character because I would really love to see a female animated character with autism (not Asperger's since it's more overrated than ASD and I don't have it) and it would be fun seeing her act like a child. This is because I'm really disgusted at how it is more common in males (I'm male myself). It should also focus on other mental disabilities (like Down syndrome, ADHD .etc.) all involving females as well. It should be like the mentally disabled version of Katawa Shoujo. But why hasn't something about autism had never been conceived? I want anime and cartoons in general about autism because I want something I can truly relate to. I'm tired of characters who are mentally normal just like most people around me. I want people who are like me (not in appearance but in personality and behavior).
>>
>>137184401
I want to kill myself
>>
>>137184401
Sakurasou.
>>
I'm disappointed I have the same condition as yours desu senpai
>>
File: non-kobenis mashiro.png (821 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
non-kobenis mashiro.png
821 KB, 1366x768
no never
>>
>>137184401
I'll bite. Three reasons:

1: Japan's culture in general is very dismissive of mental illness. If something is wrong with you mentally, that is considered to be nobodys fault but your own. At best, you will be told to "cheer up" or "snap out of it", and more likely you will be flat out ignored. Sakurasou demonstrates this pretty well.

2: Autism is significantly more rare in women. Not much of a problem in fiction, but it's a fact nonetheless.

3: It's not going to sell. Who's going to bother to go through all this effort of writing this AND then manage to get it approved by an animation studio? Who's your demographic? Who will be buying the BD's to return that investment? Just look at the past few seasons. You cannot survive in this industry even if you do an excellent job of writing a story, and eventually you'll have to appeal to a broader audience, be it through fanservice or otherwise.
>>
Lo and behold there is a manga. But honestly, fuck off autist.
>>
>>137185029
Well it should be like fan service for me. By the way is bd's short for "broader demographics"?
>>
>>137185185
Bluray Discs, newfriend.

As >>137185157 said, mangas stand a chance since people can produce those in their spare time. Anime doesn't remotely stand a chance.
>>
Closest thing i recall is, apart from sakurasou, there's that one psychology anime short. But they probably didn't go into autism.
>>
>>137185250
Well there is a lot of LGBT themed anime even though same-sex marriage is ironically illegal in Japan. Also, anime willingly deals with controversial topics in general and has different censorship standards than in the west. It's very complex, third dimensional and realistic compared to cartoon produced in other parts of the world.
>>
>>137184401
Almost every anime has characters with autism. NHK might just be about Autism. Sasuke Uchiha is about as Autistic as it gets. Yeah, maybe they are high functioning autistic but autistic nonetheless.
>>
>>137185413
But none of them are officially confirmed to have it so it's fucking false but I wish it's true.
>>
>/a/ is now a mix of /v/, /tv/, reddit and yahoo answers
>>
>>137184401
read umineko. there you go, op.
>>
>>137185443
Yeah. They would never flat out say their characters are autistic. They just accidentally or on purpose gave their characters autistic qualities.
>>
I don't fucking care. I want an anime about autism!
>>
>>137185714
How autistic would the characters be?
>>
>>137185763
High functioning.
>>
>>137185413
NHK? Nah. There's a staggering variety of mental issues represented there, but I don't think autism was one of them.
>>
>>137185811
Then it would be too hard to diagnose and they would never come out and say it.
>>
File: shiina.jpg (103 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
shiina.jpg
103 KB, 1920x1080
>>137184606
>>137184743

Probably the closest thing I've seen desu senpai. Good show, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKFYyOxycws
>>
File: 1453682121539.jpg (43 KB, 235x415) Image search: [Google]
1453682121539.jpg
43 KB, 235x415
>>137184401
>visual novel about autism
katawa shoujo
>>
>>137184401
If they ever animate With the Light. Wandering Son got animated, so you never know...
>>
File: Eureka_wut.png (266 KB, 500x485) Image search: [Google]
Eureka_wut.png
266 KB, 500x485
>>137184401
What are you talking about? Basically every anime is autistic.
>>
>>137185814
>stuttering often
>difficulty in social situations
>difficulty maturing
>lack of social knowledge and cues
I mean the man got on a suicide cruise and didn't realize it until way later.
>>
>>137184401
Most of them are, but if you want one that's centered around autism NHK is what comes to mind. Stop vaccinating your children
>>
>>137184401
>thumbnail
My autism is triggered.
>>
>>137184401
Literally 90% of the anime in a given season have autistic MCs and/or main girls.
>>
>>137186098
I at first thought it had to do with the channel but soon realized but it is not about autism and hasn't been revealed if the main character has it or not.
>>
Zeta Gundam.
>>
>>137185413
>>>137186038
>>137186098
>NHK

Satou is just really fucking depressed and introverted. He doesn't have autism.
>>
Hey OP, you say you're high-functioning, but are you one of those people that keeps punching their heads?
>>
>>137186598
I don't punch my face.
>>
>>137186662
you can't get off on a technicality like that, anon

http://www.autism.com/symptoms_self-injury
>>
Sakurasou

Denpa

Anything else?
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.