[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Was this show any good?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 6
File: 76071.jpg (41 KB, 225x318) Image search: [Google]
76071.jpg
41 KB, 225x318
Was this show any good?
>>
>>136315282
No
>>
>>136315282
I enjoyed it, nice character animation and music.

Writing is a bit pretentious though.
>>
>>136315282
Very philosophical
>>
>>136315347
Actual philosophy or pseudo deep?
>>
>>136315282
No
>>
File: sub CYLLJ1TUsAAAQpg.jpg (72 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
sub CYLLJ1TUsAAAQpg.jpg
72 KB, 500x500
>>136315282
Great mystery and characters with some truly interesting direction going on.
>>
it was almost decently good

you can watch it if you want
>>
>>136315282
COMMUNISM.
>>
File: 1450399774513.jpg (1 MB, 1280x2160) Image search: [Google]
1450399774513.jpg
1 MB, 1280x2160
Not really.
>>
Watchable.
>>
It was fun. The mystery was pretty good.
The character designs were great. The OP and ED were nice.
>>
I never went in the threads while this was airing, but about the Red Magic OS:

The thing about the computer's time being off and there being a duplicate filename, and then the new file overwriting the old one, why did they just glaze over that like it was all normal? The normal thing is for the new file to append a (1) or something at the end.I guess the fact that they were using an OS designed by the culprit that they didn't understand at all could justify this, but I still don't think that's "normal" behavior that should be glossed over.
>>
Terrible. All the characters are pretentious assholes and barely anything happens until the last 2 episodes. Also the solution to the mystrey doesn't make sense.
>>
>>136315695
>The normal thing is for the new file to append a (1) or something at the end.
That's not true when talking about Unix and file operations done by code.

When you’re asked for confirmations about deleting or replacing a file, it is a safeguard from the application you’re using (typically, the file explorer) against normal users who might commit accidental things.
>>
Was there more hot pedo sex?
>>
>>136315282
It was pretty good. Not the best, but enjoyable nonetheless. The ending was quite moving.
>>
I thought it was really pretentious and a bit slow at the beginning. But I still enjoyed it. I felt that the series really picked up at episode 6.
>>
>>136315840
Ah wait, you're right about the files created by code. I've worked with something that creates a constantly updating file and just names it with a date code, and it does just update the same file throughout the day (until midnight when it generates a new file).
I was misremembering. The (1) filenames only come from copypasting the resulting file to a new directory, not the actual creating/updating of the original.
>>
>>136315816
>Also the solution to the mystrey doesn't make sense.
Sister never existed. Psycho-genius snuck up to roof during black out and pretended to be a non-existent sister. Body was her daughter that gave up on life after suffering an existential crisis.
What was hard to understand?
>>
>>136316156
Yeah I understood that but how did the daughter get away with impersonating her mother the whole time? Did nobody think that she was too young or a completely different person?
>>
>>136316216
>how did the daughter get away with impersonating her mother the whole time?
Nobody had seen the mother for like 15 years and was aware of the existence of the daughter.
So the daughter looking just like her mother did 15 years ago was able to impersonate her pretty easily.
>>
>>136316298
So nobody thought it was weird that this girl who was now supposed to be an adult hadn't aged in 15 years? Also even if her daughter looked similar they're different people and they wouldn't have looked the same.
>>
>>136316422
>So nobody thought it was weird that this girl who was now supposed to be an adult hadn't aged in 15 years?
Plenty of people though it was weird and that she looked young. Did you not watch the show?

>Also even if her daughter looked similar they're different people and they wouldn't have looked the same.
They looked similar enough. With same clothes and same hairstyle it's pretty easy to get the daughter to look like how the mother was in her youth.
>>
File: 1386625926714.jpg (68 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1386625926714.jpg
68 KB, 1280x720
I liked it even though I got spoiled the mystery despite it being lame as shit was nice to watch unfold.
>>
>>136316422
>So nobody thought it was weird that this girl who was now supposed to be an adult hadn't aged in 15 years? Also even if her daughter looked similar they're different people and they wouldn't have looked the same.
She was acting as a stand in for her mother during those interviews, people never saw the mommy and so they jumbled the daughter's appearance as being mommy's
>>
The op was the best part
https://vimeo.com/143104746
>>
>>136315282
it's one of those 'it's so bad it's actually good' stuff
>>
>>136317182
The visuals are nice, but I hate that stupid dance and the song.
>>
>>136315282
It was a good mystery
>>
Live action was better.
>>
>>136319299
Nope.
>>
>>136315984
It's not actual updating, normally it'd be replacing with the file + more info depending on the purpose of the application.
>>
>>136315467
Pseudo deep, babbling fedora tier dialogues.
>>
If you don't get spoiled, yeah.
Shiki was a specially good character.
>>
>>136320102
This. I found that part of the show annoying, they tried to build up this "too smart for me" character, which ended up in cringe in more than one occasion
>>
>>136320102
Not like you can tell the difference between pseudo deep and actual deep.
You'll always call something that seems smarter than you pseudo deep/fedora tier without actually putting some thoughts into it and you call it a day. It's not even about criticising the show, it's just about feeling good about yourself.
>>
>>136315282
It was alright. You can't afford to be picky with mystery anime, since we get so few. With that in mind, it was palatable enough to fill that void, but I don't think I would recommend it to someone that isn't explicitly looking for the genre.

A lot is lost in the transition from novel to screenplay. It's a tad pretensious, but a lot of that pretense is ironic and the tone doesn't carry over quite so well. Some thing that I thought were being played in subtle ways in the novel were played straight in the anime, and as a whole it comes across as more preachy, didactic and making explicit attempts to be cool and intelligent without really doing so. The source material wasn't entirely without these things, but prose has the effect of smoothing these things over or else better contextualizing them in ways that a visual medium doesn't have access too.

The big mystery hook ends up being some elementary hexadecimal trivia you'd learn in 5 minutes of wikipedia reading or watching a numberphile video, and felt more than a little underwhelming
>>
File: lewittgensteinianface.png (26 KB, 210x142) Image search: [Google]
lewittgensteinianface.png
26 KB, 210x142
>>136320263
It was pseudophilosophical shit. I know philosophical shit very well to distinguish it from that shit.
>>
>>136320452
This. I chuckled a bit at the "People don't fear death, they fear a life that ends in death" line. I feel like the author glossed over a wikipedia page of continental philosophy and just took any book title or catchphrase that he thought sounded cool to wrap into his dialogue.
>>
>>136320452
I'm not buying it.
>>
>>136315282
it wasn't bad, but anyone with half a braincell figured out the plot twist by episode 2.
>>
It was bad.
Psuedo-intellectual , but vacuous dialogue and imagery, unlikable characters, and a dumb mystery pushing useless shit like hexadecimals riddles in front to hide glaring plot holes ( how does nobody find out Shiki is raising a child during those 15 years, how would her plan would have worked if her daughter didn't look exactly like her when she was young, nobody on the island knows about Magata Shiki having/not having a sister... ).
>>
>>136320599
Or the absolutely uncanny resemblance the 'sister' bore to Shiki. It was almost painful to watch her parading around the office while everyone played dumb for narrative convinience. I very nearly dropped it at the engrish conversation because it was just so excruciatingly obvious, yet I knew I'd spend another half-dozen episodes waiting for the character to work out some kind of excuse to finally wrap up the 'mystery'.
>>
>>136320599
>how does nobody find out Shiki is raising a child during those 15 years
How could they find out?
>how would her plan would have worked if her daughter didn't look exactly like her when she was young
The plan was made after the daughter was born and had already started growing up.
>nobody on the island knows about Magata Shiki having/not having a sister
How is that a plot hole? Why would they have to know about some hidden familly member that had been living in another country?
>>
That the MC's philosophical questions and statements were revealed to mostly be jokes to entertain the girl was a really nice gradual reveal.

The main culprit's motivation being essentially too far removed from any normal thought process for anyone to figure out made the mystery feel a little weak.
>>
>>136320676
>Or the absolutely uncanny resemblance the 'sister' bore to Shiki.
Why wouldn't a sister bore a resemblance to the other sister?
Is that really a plot hole?

I get that you feel smart because "I saw it coming miles away" but this doesn't create plot holes.
>>
>>136320813
Yeah, normally sisters don't look like the same person with a different haircut. They'd be sisters, not clones.
>>
>>136320842
>normally sisters don't look like the same person with a different haircut.
But they don't look the same.

Miki (aka old Shiki) looks pretty different from Shiki (aka Shiki's daughter).
>>
>>136320793
>The main culprit's motivation being essentially too far removed from any normal thought process for anyone to figure out made the mystery feel a little weak.
Motive doesn't make sense? She's a genius, so she doesn't think like normal people (yes, genius are almost always psychopaths with split personalities).
Incredibly detailled and impractical plan established years ago? It just works because she's a genius.
It's just terrible writing all around.
>>
>>136321124
>with split personalities
Not actually split personalities.
>Incredibly detailled and impractical plan
It's actually pretty simple.

Seems like you just want to misrepresent everything and call it bad writing instead of paying attention.
>>
>>136320452
*tips fedora
Jesus fuck did you sound pretentious there.
>>
It's alright. But pretentious as fuck. And MC and the Shiki's logic is twisted, but apparently they're right because they're Einstein genius tier.
>>
>>136321311
You can't even say the word 'philosophy' without preceding it with 'psuedo' or else you'll trigger some fuckwit too young, poor or stupid to have bothered with a post-secondary education.

These aren't big, dangerous ideas outside the ken of all but the elite, yet they seem to scare the hell out of people who think a place of higher learning, and the subject therein, are some sort of dangerous coven where people's hair turns peacock and their prostate bears sickle and hammer for glorious mother tumblr.

No, wasting money on philo 101 or any equivalent doesn't make you 'starbucks-core,' and knowing the difference between meaningless pseudophilosphical garbage whipped up for the sake of sounding cool but being utterly meaningless, and actual rhetoric that contains an argument for a worldview, does not make you pretentious.

This show was tripe. Everything that came out of every character's mouth was tripe. The entire premise of the mystery was tripe. And, the fact that they thought they could fool their audience into unironically believing any of these characters were accurate depictions of someone educated or with 'a very unconventional way of thinking' is itself utter tripe.

The characters were adult teenagers spouting teenaged nonsense all throughout. I don't care if the author was trying to use it as a metaphor, having Shiki's faux multiple personality disorder shoved down my throat for like 5 episodes was just farcical.
>>
>>136321582
>but apparently they're right
What makes you think that?
Seems like they were quite persistent on telling us they it was only their point of view and that it was probably wrong.
>>
>>136321124
The motive makes sense for her, its just not satisfying to hear about (since there's hardly any way to figure it out), which is one of the best parts about the climax of a mystery.
>>
>>136315282
Like a hipster version of boku dake, if that is even possible.
>>
>>136321707
>What makes you think that?
Every character conveniently forgot to condemn the misbegotten autist for abusing a child for 15 years and then murdering it.
>>
>>136315282
Murder receive no punishment. Why? Four bodies on the main villain, and she goes away. Nice job Japan.
>>
>>136321777
>Every character conveniently forgot to condemn
You need characters to explicitely condemn things or else you assume they're okay with it?
>and then murdering it.
We all know it was suicide.
>>
>>136315282
I enjoyed it, but as some other anon said, I only enjoyed it because I really like murder mysteries and we don't get nearlyenough of those.
What's some good Mystery Anime I should watch btw?
>>
>>136321793
>Nice job Japan.
It was horrible to be honest. Worst nightmare of Sherlock Holmes and Erkul Puaro.
>>
>>136321793
You just don't understand. She was so smart that what she was doing must be the right thing. Japan's lowly morals were just too simple-minded to constrain such an infallibly correct mind. It's okay when she murders someone, because she's smart enough to know when it was the right thing to do.
>>
>>136315282
I personally enjoyed it quite a bit. The OP was sex.
>>
>>136321707
In all the conversations where Nishinosono talks with both sensei and shiki. The anime goes out of it's way to explain itself using ''philosophical methods'' without actually doing the whole reasoning part of philosophy. Let alone, it's some bullshit explanation by a sociopath talking in cryptic Monogatari tier dialogue.
>>
>>136321942
Your mad is showing.
Stop pulling assumptions out of your ass about what "must be the right thing" or what is or isn't "okay" and "morals", this is simply too much for you to handle.
>>
>>136321942
>Japan's lowly morals were just too simple-minded to constrain such an infallibly correct mind. It's okay when she murders someone, because she's smart enough to know when it was the right thing to do.
So why just everybody don't kill each other in Japan, if murder is unpunishable deed. This is stupid plot what I ever seen. Murderers has no excuses, they are must be punished no metter what.
>>
>>136322056
>In all the conversations where Nishinosono talks with both sensei and shiki.
How exactly?
To me those conversations point towards their opinions being very relativist and subject to criticism, not absolute/always right.
>>
>>136315646
>>136317182
>>136321966
The ED is better than the OP. OP has "Doki-doki" if you don't remember
>>
>>136322134
>doki doki
They're saying 'talking', as in the english word. It even pops up on screen while they're saying it.
>>
>>136321907
i liked Zankyou no Terror.
>>
>>136322090
So what happens when they never catch the murderer? You do realise people in real life can get away with it, why not the cartoon genius lady? Because muh Aesop?
>>
>>136322090
Why are you even listening to this guy?
At this point he's writing his own fanfiction about what he thinks the plot is trying to tell, but he's so deep in his own delusion he can't even see the light of reality anymore.
>>
>>136322134
The ED was so good, you just made me remember to download it.
>>
>>136320263
you can tell the difference beteen philosophy wich is a concret discipline and pseudo deep bullshit
>>
>>136322188
>So what happens when they never catch the murderer?
They are must. Smart murderers are most dangerous criminals on the Earth.
>>136322194
Dude trolling about murder is okay, fuck him for that opinion
>>
>>136322125
oh i don't necessarily disagree with you. But in most conversations between Nishinosono and sensei or shiki, it felt like she was the pupil. Since she's the character that asks the questions. Or maybe i'm the only one who felt sensei and shiki were condescending.
>>
It's pretty much the expected result of transposing a 90's mystery novel into a 2015 anime.
It might come off as pretentious at times, but it's nice enough that I'd tell you to give it a look. Not the best mystery either, but you'll at least be scratching your head for an episode or two until it starts coming together.
I think the thing that impressed me most about it was that the twist, if you can even call it that, was available from the start, and I'm partial to "hide it in plain sight" motifs.
>>
>>136322619
>I think the thing that impressed me most about it was that the twist,
spoil it for me please, what is the twist?
>>
>>136322300
Except they don't always succeed, just like in the case of Magata Shiki. She was one of those smart murderers you speak of, too smart to get caught.
>>
>>136322672
The twist, as in the reason the case was a headscratcher, was there was time missing on the security camera because there was code embedded in the system that deleted a video file creating the illusion of a perfect, closed case.
F is also 15 or the maximum number in hexadecimal binary. From the moment the killer, Shiki Magata, entered the sealed room, the system was counting up to FFFFF, which just so happened to be the day the illegitimate child she had with her uncle would turn 15.
The part that makes it so genius is that the fact that Magata fooled around with her uncle was implied from episode and the code and Magata's daughter appear at the end of every episode as part of the ending theme. It's fucking great!
>>
>>136323056
At Least they are tried. Anyway she says she wanted to be punished, so this is no end. Justice will prevail lol.
>>
>>136323074
>From the moment the killer, Shiki Magata, entered the sealed room, the system was counting up
Not from the start. Only from when Red Magic Ver.4 was installed.
The countdown would last approx 7,5 years.
>>
>>136323210
Sorry, my mistake. Thanks for clearing that up.
>>
>>136315282
Mediocre
>>
>>136315614
Shame she ruined her hair.
>>
I enjoyed the mystery but I do agree with others that the philosophical writing is weak. The characters never engage in rhetoric with one another since the writing uses ad hoc fallacy as a narrative device. This makes it so that the characters can never disprove what Shiki spouting.
Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.