[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
High Fatnasy anime thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 114
Thread images: 18
Because, why not, everyone loves fantasy, right?
>>
>>136158102
too bad there´s not much. it´s all hurr durrr we are in a game/harem trash.
wish I could watch slayers for the first time again.
>>
what exactly is high fantasy?
>>
>>136158102
Are nipples allowed now
>>
>>136158442
thats a guy
>>
>>136158529
That guy has breasts and a narrow waist
>>
File: 1452372942136.jpg (103 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1452372942136.jpg
103 KB, 1280x720
>>136158399
Basically when a Fantasy story takes place in an original imaginary world.

Although, there are so much gimmicks it can include that is not easly to differenciate them no more,

For example, would be high fantasy a fantasy story that takes place completly on a fantasy world but the MC comes from another world?

Or would be high fantasy if its a world completly different than ours but setting say its actually the far future?

So what's HF is up to interpretation depending your level of autism.
>>
>fantasy
>japan

I can't find a good example
>>
>>136158380
I can't understand what has the industry agaisnt classic fantasy without selfparody or "twists".

Usually people answers "because it has been done to death". But if you think on it, at least when it comes to anime if you don't count those that are half sci-fi and the parodies there isn't really much high fantasy anime.
>>
>>136158773
basically to distinguish themselves from western non parody fantasy stories,
>>
What
Cute
tits.
>>
File: lina inverse kicks gourry.jpg (84 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
lina inverse kicks gourry.jpg
84 KB, 640x480
>>136158773
I'd argue Slayers, the classic high fantasy anime, has plenty of self-parody. Like, this scene seems like something out of a generic RomCom, but it's played around a bit because Lina has a curse on her that causes her to feel Gourry's pain amplified. Meaning she just kicked herself in the nuts. Hardly the most highbrow of humor.

But as silly as Slayers can get also tells a good enough story with likable engaging characters who all have their own goals beyond "getting MC's dick."

The issue with shit like Danmachi, SAO, et al is that it's too MC fixated. I'm not complaining that the MC is the one to beat the bad guy, but in those shows the identity of other characters revolves around validating the MC

Rather than becoming obstacles, aids, or mentors, characters in shows like Danmachi and SAO become accessories to the MC. They become glorified trophies. Most obviously we see this dynamic in an all girl cast being a harem for an MC, but somethings a character can be a friend of the MC in shows, like Klein, and still exist basically just to shill how cool and great the MC is. These self insert RPG fantasy animes would be fine by themselves, but by virtue of being a "game", they give all the glory and attention and importance to the MC.

It's bland and it's dull and it's not very good story telling.
>>
>>136158102
Resting my head in her delicious chest is my fantasy.
>>
File: edensbowybox[1].jpg (35 KB, 200x285) Image search: [Google]
edensbowybox[1].jpg
35 KB, 200x285
I dunno if this thread will last, but might as well ask.

So in my quest to watch ever more obscure fantasy anime, I watched a bit of Eden's Bowy. It seemed alright, but what made me put it on hold was the complete non-action comprised entirely out of stills. Has anybody seen it, and does this stop?
>>
File: 1281652658490.jpg (142 KB, 1680x1050) Image search: [Google]
1281652658490.jpg
142 KB, 1680x1050
What is/are the last High Fantasy anime series that you really liked?

Last one I really enjoyed was LoLH, can't remember others that I liked as much.
We have had Nanatsu no Taizai, which started alright but then it lost a bit of traction.
There's the sao clones, but most have sucked as much balls as sao.
That said, grimgar looks alright and the LN so far is alright.
Overlord was nice, but it keeps the D&D "play style" in the new world, so it still feels like "just inside a game" instead of "another world" like say, those who hunt elves, so I wouldn't consider it as a "hard" high fantasy. Same with Log Horizon.
I didn't watch the shoujos with High Fantasy settings, like Akagami or Soredemo Sekai etc.
I didn't finish Shingeki no Bahamut, Favaro was a bit too much for me.
Danmachi was ok I guess but nothing special.
I liked chaika, but I'm not sure the story was that good.
Junketsu no Maria was nice, nice threads, but I quickly forgot about it.
Maoyuu Maou Yuusha was alright, but it felt incomplete at the end, needed more episodes.
Hataraku Maou sama was fun as a parody but it lacks the whole high fantasy adventuring thing.
Ixion saga was fun, but it's also another transported to another world kind of deal.
>>
File: LodossWarTVSecretTechnique.webm (1 MB, 648x480) Image search: [Google]
LodossWarTVSecretTechnique.webm
1 MB, 648x480
Been watching Lodoss War TV recently, it's a lot better than I'd been led to believe. It's just more Lodoss War.

I refuse to touch the SD segments though.
>>
>>136159643
Slayers is also you know... Good.

It's also like you say, funny. Really really funny sometimes.

Not always highbrow, but funny.

The fact that it realizes it's a fucking cartoon and doesn't take itself to seriously to do this stuff helps.

Even Shakespeare had really bottom of the barrel humor for the Pit, so having a mix of "high brow and low brow" can work, clearly, and isn't a bad idea.
>>
>>136159643
>The issue with shit like Danmachi, SAO, et al is that it's too MC fixated. I'm not complaining that the MC is the one to beat the bad guy, but in those shows the identity of other characters revolves around validating the MC
True, these recent series lack that element of "partying and going questing". I guess that's why I'm hoping Grimgar turns out good, since although it's still from the perspective of the MC, the party has it's development too, but we'll see I guess.
>>
Helck will save the genre.
>>
Does Seirei no Moribito count?

I really enjoyed how real it felt. They really managed to built up an environment that felt like it was actually real nature. The rain, it really felt like it was raining. That's one thing I really like about it.

And the world building was interesting too, and refreshing how it didn't feel like generic Europe. The plot point with the travel to that village to regain old knowledge also felt like it added real depth to the series.
>>
File: img000007.png (413 KB, 893x1300) Image search: [Google]
img000007.png
413 KB, 893x1300
Anyone reading this?

It started ok with the MC growing up and learning stuff (too bad he's the very definition of a Mary Sue) and it seems to be turning into party adventuring from the recent chapters.
>>
>>136159978
>I refuse to touch the SD segments though.
I sat through every single one of those things, thinking they'd get better or that there'd be some kind of payoff in the end.
They didn't, and there wasn't.
>>
>>136160022
>Slayers is also you know... Good
You just reminded me to check if I still had the LN epubs from that last slayers thread some time years (or longer) ago.
Since the archive we had then went down, the bookmark was lost and I couldn't find the links.
Turns out I did save the epubs, damn that was scary.
>>
>>136158660
Shingeki no Bahamut was nice.

>>136160087
Who?
>>
>>136159902
>Shingeki no Bahamut
That's sort of sad. Until shit went overboard in the ending it was fucking awesome. Blew the budget early too.
>>
>>136159902
You didn't watch Lodoss?
>>
File: THE CRASHER!.png (3 MB, 10000x10000) Image search: [Google]
THE CRASHER!.png
3 MB, 10000x10000
>>
>>136160663
I forgot to say, in this decade, i.e. post 2010.
Hence why I mentioned recent anime only.
>>
>>136158102
Anime?
>>
>>136162294
No. Manga.
>>
>>136158102
sauce?
>>
>>136158102
Sauce? I can't seem to find the OVA.
>>
>>136162555
>>136162575
>can't read the file name
>>
>>136159643
>Slayers has plenty of self-parody
When I said self-parody I meant self parody to the industry and rpg not having a comic part.

Slayers had a comic part and that was really nice. Some comedy is good in fantasy as long as they keep it "in setting" like Slayers did.

To give another example Rune soldier Loui is basically a comedy, but still they kept the jokes inside the setting, giving as result a classic fantasy anime, that is also fun.

But in none of those shows they talked about "levels" or "Exp" or started to point how inneficient a bikini armor is. Neither they meet characters that were mangakas or idols. That is what I meant when I said self-parody.
>>
>>136159808
No, it never stops, it will sleep you from start to finish. It also becomes more and more sci-fi and less fantasy as it goes.
>>
>>136159902
Tower of Druaga was probably the last good one I saw that wasn't them trapped in a game. Even if it's based on one. I'd still put it above SAO and Danmachi.

Danmachi has potential if they keep the harem thing in check but I doubt it. It'd be a nice surprise if the guy actually ended with the chick he likes. SAO has no hope of being any good anymore.

Lately I've been reading Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari which goes back to being trapped in a game but other than some menus they sort of forget about it. At least the MC does.
>>
>>136158102
That girl has a cute tummy.
>>
>>136159902
>What is/are the last High Fantasy anime series that you really liked?

Bahamut and Garou are the last I really liked.

But honestly I also enjoyed Overlord, Arslan, Danmachi, Magi, Akatsuki no yona, or Maria as I enjoyed lot of others. I still enjoy Gate and Im enjoying Grimgar so far.

What I really miss from Fantasy is an epic close, a focus on something, even if I enjoy lot of those shows I feel like they go nowhere, it only opens paths but closes none and only barely implies things that will happen or not at some point but doesn't show you anything happening now. I want to see a villain trying to take the world/continent/country and the heroes stoping it while falls in love with the princess, not how the character beats 5 floors of a tower..
>>
>>136163783
Druaga was really nice. I was really mad at the cliffhanger of the first season. The second season was a bit weaker than the fist one since the "battle system" wasn't as solid as in the first one (in first season was more about teamwork and tactic). But overall ended being a pretty good fantasy show.

Basically because as I said in >>136163847 The heroes complete the quest they were given.
>>
>>136163783
>Danmachi has potential
Dunno, the ending (of the anime) clearly gave us a harem kind of deal (desk elf, blonde knight, hestia, loli, waitress, even some vibes from elf waitress).
And like this guy said >>136163847
>I want to see a villain trying to take the world/continent/country and the heroes stoping it while falls in love with the princess, not how the character beats 5 floors of a tower
That's kinda boring after a while, and really vidya rpg like.
Not that I want a shitty villian like in SAO, but some kind of -QUEST- with subplot along the way is nice, more D&D like Slayers or Lodoss.
>>
>>136163035
The file name doesn't say anything. There are no results for Dragoon Legend 2.

It may simply be the anime Dragoon, though. If you look at alternative names on MAL, they mention Ryuki denshou, and apparently denshou means tradition, which I could see being another word for legend.

If it, in fact, is Dragoon, then it's not a great anime. The first episode starts interesting, but it has no ending. If they only focused on telling a full story in the three episodes it had, it could be good, but instead they enter a challenge of the week mode, introducing characters all the time, and getting nowhere with the plot. Could have been great if they tried to tell the story, but they didn't try so it's just generic and average, and with no ending.
>>
File: desk elf.jpg (18 KB, 361x284) Image search: [Google]
desk elf.jpg
18 KB, 361x284
>>136164133
>desk elf
>>
>>136164773
Why?
>>
>>136160140
Read it

Gary Stu as fuck

Still enjoyed it as a guilty pleasure
>>
>>136160140

He is a mary sue, but the author still trying to give him proper problems, moment of weakness, and leveling.

Try to read many other self-insert reborn into greatness manga, its way worse than this.
>>
>>136164528
I didn't say it has to be a demon king or something.
But danmachi was literally "let's clear up floors and I hope I can reach her one day". So no real questing, more like pure grinding only to reach her endgame waifu. That counts as an objective I guess, but it's really boring (for me).
>>
>>136165423
Gets harder to like stuff the more we watch. "We've seen it all".
Also, I don't think Danmachi's plot has started yet.
>>
>>136165582
>Gets harder to like stuff the more we watch. "We've seen it all".
True.
I guess that's why we are riding the "mmorpg world" train since that's what's relevant to kids today and it's what inspired the writers instead of D&D/books or the like.
>>
>>136162555
>>136162294
>>136162575
>>136164668
>>136163035
http://www.nyaa.se/?page=view&tid=86808&showfiles=1
>>
>>136160226
Can you kindly post them?
>>
>>136166519
https://bakabt.me/torrent/181380/slayers-light-novel-epub
surprise they are here
>>
>>136166862
Thank you. The mediafire link i had found was quite slow to download and my pc is quite shitty.
>>
>>136166375

Is this the final fantasy 6 knockoff that never got completed?
>>
>>136167254
No clue as i've never watched or played either.
>>
File: 1425515591949.jpg (53 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1425515591949.jpg
53 KB, 300x300
>>136158102
>not trapped in an MMO
Dropped.
>>
>>136163783
>Lately I've been reading Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari which goes back to being trapped in a game but other than some menus they sort of forget about it. At least the MC does.
And that's a good thing? The fact that it could been regular fantasy but made it a game just because only makes it worse for me.
>>
>>136167359

What has .hack//Sign done to the fandom!?
>>
File: 1967240-naga12.jpg (48 KB, 508x640) Image search: [Google]
1967240-naga12.jpg
48 KB, 508x640
>>136163366
That's "meta" comedy, not self-parody

And meta comedy is fucking cancer.

Also, Slayers DOES point out how inefficient bikini armor is, a running gag with Naga is that she scraps her cheeks from the spikes and it doesn't protect her from shit.
>>
>>136158442
Those are fantasy nipples, they're ok.
>>
>>136167549
>meta comedy is fucking cancer
Kill yourself.
>>
>>136167430
I blame Lamune&40. It may not have been MMO back then but the foundations were there.
Dunbine, Ultima 4 or Narnia could also be mentioned somewhere along the line.
>>
>>136167430
Shut up, hack sign is a masterpiece.
>>
>>136168363

No. Lain is a masterpiece.

Hack Sign was part of a marketing campaign gone mad.
>>
>>136168501
It also drags like nobodies business.
>>
>>136168120
Nadesico was fucking garbage.
>>
>>136158399
Depends on your specific brand of autism.
>>
>>136168501
>>136168584
>>136168692
What the fuck is wrong with this board?
Nadesico is good and Hack Sign is a masterpiece, you fucking plebs. What does Lain have to do with anything?
>>
>>136168501
>Lain is a masterpiece.
>>
>>136167426
It's an issue in the manga. The MC criticizes the other heroes for treating the world and it's people like a game with NPCs while he's taking it seriously and realized all that's at stake.
>>
>>136159902
>What is/are the last High Fantasy anime series that you really liked?
You posted it.
>>
>>136168853
Hack.//sign was mediocre. It started out fine, but the execution and terrible, plodding pace killed it.
Nadesico was literally one of the worst shows I've ever watched. It tries so hard to be meta cool but all it does is make itself look desperate.
By the halfway point, I'd have rather actually been watching Gekigangar III the whole time.
>>
>>136168853
>muh overrated trash.
lain and nadesico are shit, deal with it.
>>
>>136158399
Fantasy that takes place in a world completely separate from Earth that's heavily reliant on magic.
>>
>>136169471
The pace was great, one of the best things of the show, if you can't appreciate it it's not the show's fault.
I consider Hack Sign one of the shows that can better identify people with shit taste.
>>136169757
I've never said anything about Lain you're a fucking idiot nonetheless.
>>
>>136169892
>Hack Sign one of the shows that can better identify people with shit taste.
It really is. If you like it, you have the shittiest of shit taste.
>>
Is .hack//sign really that bad? It's been a long time since I watched it but I recall loving it.

Then again, I remember nostalgically enjoying escaflowne movie and when I tried to rewatch that, wanted to kill myself
>>
>>136169988
Nah, it's pretty much the opposite, that together with other shows like Nichijou and Casshern Sins.
>>136170427
Kiling yourself might not be a bad idea.
>>
>>136165423
Thats why I deleted the post, I missunderstood your message, then I read it again after posting and realized.
>>
>>136167426
That's exactly the problem with lot of those game shows, the game thing is so irrelevant and contributes so few to the story that even the script lot of times forgets about it being a game.

What makes you wonder...why would make it about a game in first place if what you are writting is de facto a fantasy story?
>>
>>136170726
>Nichijou and Casshern Sins.
Nigger has to be trolling. Those are some really fucking terrible shows.
>>
>>136167430
.//Hack was an actually well written "game" series though. There was about people playing a game who acted like people playing a game dealing with problems of people playing a game.

Wasn't the current fantasy wrapped in "playing game"
>>
>>136171650
Lazy writing. It's easier to explain stuff by saying the game is that way than by thinking of how the rules of the world they created support whatever stupid thing the writer wants to do.
>>
File: Ruin explorers 5.jpg (807 KB, 1400x1407) Image search: [Google]
Ruin explorers 5.jpg
807 KB, 1400x1407
Where my Ruin Nigs at
>>
What gets me these days is that because so much is based on LN novels we never get a series with a proper conclusion.

It always just ends up being a big to be continued
>>
File: tears (3).jpg (51 KB, 368x500) Image search: [Google]
tears (3).jpg
51 KB, 368x500
This one isn't mentioned very often.

It ends being too slow paced and even boring sometimes, but the coreographied battles are really shweet and has a nice lore.
>>
>>136172104
Just read the LNs when you're done with the anime.
>>
>>136172115

this fucking guy
>>
>>136171785
Yeah, it was well written. It also covered realistic psychological issues in sign.

MC was a girl abused by her father during puberty issues, so she escaped online by playing as a male persona and was quite shy/anti social (reasonably). She ends up being in lesbians with a girl who escapes in the online world because she's stuck in a wheelchair irl (again, realistic reason for someone to spend day/night in a virtual reality mmo). The troll PK sora (?) was a 12y/o with no friends irl, bugging people online for validation and trying to force friendships because he's socially stunted and lonely. Bear was an oldfag nostalgia playing.

Most animus don't bother with or understand that kind of basic, understandable motivation/psychology for characters.

Apparently most faggots here didn't, either.
>>
>>136172104
This is my major concern nowdays, not only with fantasy but will all genres, its dificult to find a complete story.

If at least they adapted a decent amount of the released material would be slightly better, but no, worse part is they had enough material to adapt, lets say 7 volumes, but instead they strench 3 volumes to cover a cour then...you never know anything about it again.

So we have 12 episodes of nothing whithout even revealing the first villain when we could have 12 episodes with the first villain defeated.
>>
>>136172297
They do it to sell the vns but I feel empty and bored watching then reading something. If I wanted to read the vn I would've done that first
>>
>>136172267
Yeah, I really don't understand how someone could call the writing of Sign bad.
>>
>>136171785
>dropped GU vol 3 because of horrible gameplay
>sameshit for 120+ hours
Why? Just fuckin why?
>>
>>136172115
mfw she has an h-scene in the game.
>>
>>136163783
>>136164133

The best thing that could happen in danmachi I'd they get an Aiz spin-off animated. It's a better story. As far as villains go in the main quest it's clearly going to be Freya/Syr
>>
>>136172650
>Yeah, I really don't understand how someone could call the writing of Sign bad.

There where serious pacing issues. The premise and characters where golden but they really didn't need to do it in 26 episodes
>>
>>136173771
The pacing is fine, it was done on purpose to help trasnsmit a certain mood. Do you also shit on Malick's movies for the same reason?
And now I remembered that I still have to watch To the Wonder.
>>
>>136172785
That reminds me I haven't played Vol 3 because my ps2 died, when are they going to reboot the series?
>>
File: 1449536844534.jpg (184 KB, 763x720) Image search: [Google]
1449536844534.jpg
184 KB, 763x720
>>136158102
I hate how all anime is on TV now. There's almost no casual nudity like this OVA anymore since everything has to be streamlined to fit on the air.

No, the occasional Valkyrie Drive and Yosuga no Sora aren't enough, those are a rarity and TV budgets don't usually give justice to tit animation.
>>
>>136173981

I got the point just find doesn't change the fact that it's still a lot of nothing happening to reiterate the same point
>>
>>136172785
>same shit for 120+ hours

Because they were really trying to make it feel like a mmo

Kek
>>
>>136171937
just watched the first episode, it does kind of make me think of Slayers.
>>
>>136158380
Audience appeal i guess. "yes, you can be sucked into a virtual world with no consequences!"
>>
>>136174327
Then say you don't like it, not that there are issues. Hack Sign is seriously fucking good.
>>
>>136174327
I bet you still rub your dick to eva, though
>>
It's been part of the high fantasy genre from the start in Japan, Lodoss War was based off an actual D&D campaign. Stuff like DanMachi is just keeping within that tradition, especially now that vidya is so much bigger than /tg/.

It does grate on me more personally, but I'm biased because I like tabletop and don't really like MMOs.
>>
>>136158660
what about Berserk?
>>
>>136176877
It'd be fine if the mmorpgs that inspired the new High Fantasy settings were good stuff like Ultima Online.
Instead they are based on theme park WoW clones, so grinding, events, and shit takes over.
That's also the reason they have this mmo setting of "even if you're one of thousands of players, we still give you the "you're the only hero" in the story", so sadly party-like stories are less common and MCs do it all are more prevalent.
>>
>>136176947
I liked Berserk more when it was dark fantasy, since the troll arc ended it entered on a more traditional fantasy approach that I don't enjoy as much.

Good thing about Berserk was it felt unique, now is not that is bad, but feels lot more standard.
>>
>>136176877

On that note had anyone watched chaos Dragon? That's an rpg session as well. On the other hand I got hella bored and dropped it
>>
>>136179543
I managed to finish it for some reason that I myself can't grasp or understand. Was terrible.

But to be fair it felt like the budget was...absurd, plus they cut and concentrated too much into to few episodes to the point scenes weren't even coherent.

As fantasy work had some interesting ideas but the anime itself was a total mess, low budget, terrible direction, terrible adapted character designs...
>>
>>136173981
>it was done on purpose to help trasnsmit a certain mood.
falling asleep is not a "mood"
>>
>>136180025
Old farts shouldn't watch anime.
>>
>>136180009

I thought the concept was neat and I wanted to see how nasu and urobutcher would act but it was disjointed and boring and I didn't feel like they put any effort in developing the characters past their stat sheets.
Thread replies: 114
Thread images: 18

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.