[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Evangelion is shit
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 10
File: gurren_lagann.jpg (423 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
gurren_lagann.jpg
423 KB, 1920x1200
Evangelion is shit, Gurren Lagann is the objectively superior anime. It would be pretty good, if there wasn't all this psychological bullshit getting in the way of all the action, much unlike Gurren Lagann. I mean if I wanted to watch a bunch of kids deal with personal issues I would bring a camcorder into a middle school.
>>
>bring a camcorder into a middle school
looks like you have some personal issues
>>
>implying that people who watch evangelion don't
>>
>>135974571
i agree completely
>>
Even though I know this is blatant shitposting, TTGL is still in my top five. I usually watch it once a year.
>>
>>135974571
evangelion had too much fluffy bullshit, i would actually stop watching evangelion to laugh and enjoy watching the over the top action and hilarity that is TTGL
>>
File: 1446743600050.jpg (63 KB, 300x432) Image search: [Google]
1446743600050.jpg
63 KB, 300x432
>>135974571
>I mean if I wanted to watch a bunch of kids deal with personal issues I would bring a camcorder into a middle school.
>>
>>135974571
>I mean if I wanted to watch a bunch of kids deal with personal issues I would bring a camcorder into a middle school.
all of my keks
>>
It's true
>>
Everybody has different opinions
>>
>>135974927
your opinion is objectively wrong
>>
>>135974927
Yeah but you're opinions are shit!
>>
>>135974571

As a teacher, even I'm horrified at the thought
>>
>>135974927
thats true, but this is now a TTGL thread, so go fuck yourself
>>
>>135974964
I bet you watch evangelion
>>
>>135974775
>TTGL better than Evangelion
Nigger please
Even the rebuilds are better than that piece of shit anime
>>
File: 1447617944923.png (404 KB, 588x598) Image search: [Google]
1447617944923.png
404 KB, 588x598
If you brought a camcorder to a middle school they'd probably be watching Burden Lagann
>>
>>135975050
Topkek/10
>>
File: 1421573898769.png (39 KB, 134x133) Image search: [Google]
1421573898769.png
39 KB, 134x133
Why do you even need to compare the two?
>>
>>135975010
nigger you what? it was meant to be stupid and over the top, its like one punch man, its meant to not be taken seriously, evangelion takes itself way too seriously and was shit
>>
>>135975050
Nah they probably would be watch evangelion since they are a bunch of edgy motherfuckers
>>
>>135975093
What the fuck? Your argument doesn't even make any sense.
So, everything has to be "lolrandom" for you to be good?
Also,
>OPM is good
Fuck off back to MAL; only Murata's art is good
The anime is fucking terrible
>>
>>135975199
faggot get the dick out of your ears, i never said opm was good, i compared how they were both satire, and no that doesnt mean "lolrandom" is good, but when it makes fun of shows that take itself too seriously, like dbz or evangelion
>>
>>135975093
>evangelion takes itself way too seriously

Factually untrue.

Evangelion actually expresses self-awareness in an interesting way that goes beyond shallow "wink wink, this is dumb, haha" shit common to anime. Many times by not taking itself too seriously.
>>
thought the show was gonna turn around for the better when rei threw the lance of longinus but nope. that was the peak.
>>
>>135975342
instead of saying it you wanna give some situational proof?
>>
>>135975318
Gurren Lagann isn't a parody you dipshit. It's far more lighthearted and optimistic than Evangelion but it's themes are equally as genuine and it's story is intended to be taken seriously.
>>
>>135974571
>Bayformers is better than A Clockwork Orange
>>
>>135975400
are you fucking shitting my nuts? im sorry, but please tell me how fighting against the moon, taking control over it, and shooting hooks into space to pull out another moon from literally nowhere is supposed to be taken seriously? taken seriously? thats the most autistic thing ive heard all day
>>
>>135975463
The events of the story are silly and ridiculous, yes, but they are justified reasonably within the context of the story and the underlying drama is completely serious.
>>
>>135974571
>TTGL
>good

babby's first super robot show is pure cancer
>>
people still type posts like this >>135975561 with all seriousness in our current year
>>
>>135975514
what underlying drama? and even though i used this example before, i find it a good example and i will use it again, >One Punch Man
the events in it are justified within context too arent they? but its still a parody, and everyone agrees that its a parody. So unless you can convince me of some underlying drama i missed, or a serious turning point, TTGL is a parody of giant fighting robot animes all around
>>
>>135975601
I don't know what they have to be butthurt about because the moefags undoubtedly won.
>>
>>135975601
It's true though. It's a shallow Getter Robo rip-off that depends on """EPIC""" moments to lull unrefined viewers in.
>>
>>135975602
You know that whole mess about the humans defeating the Spiral King? The antispiral? Nia and Simon? Kamina's death? That's the drama and that's all played straight.

This pretty clearly shows how little you know about the mecha genre. TTGL is supposed to be the culmination of and the celebration of mecha genre. It really doesn't make fun of it at all.
>>
>>135975396

The blatant shift in tone when Asuka comes into the picture and the inclusion of anime conventions not present before (the panty shot and consequent slapping, something turned on its head during episode 5 with Rei). The entire way the battle in an EVA is presented differs from before where it was entirely a brutal and emotional struggle. Look at the comical defeat by Israfel, or that whole episode if you want.
>>
>>135975696
>want to write about a super fighting robot
>editor says demography is important
>stick not one but multiple pilots in the robot
>3x the shounen drama
>suddenly seminal work
And once Gundumb came along and took this line of thought to it's natural conclusion and turned it into a full blown sentai the money was practically printing itself.
>>
>>135975813
>This pretty clearly shows how little you know about the mecha genre.
oh here you go, trying to be all high and mighty with a "ha your such a plebeian" attitude, yes, that is drama, but it does not make the show any less of a parody, kamina died for story progression and character development in simon, and honestly the storyline between the spiral king and the antispiral was a bit leapfrog, and went all over the place, but an anime needs a story, yea? So i admit, you are correct there was drama, except it was drama that played into the parody part of the show. And what about the underlying message? in literature, the underlying message is the most important part, and in satire works, the underlying message is largely made fun of, so what is the message that TTGL gives?
>>
>>135975837
Fair point, you got me there
>>
IT ALL
RETURNS
TO NOTHING
IT JUST COMES
TUMBLING DOWN TUMBLING DOWN TUMBLING DOWN
>>
>>135976025
The message is about the infinite potential of humanity. This is stated expressly in the final episode. That's the theme of the show and it's completely genuine.

Also it's not being high and mighty if I actually know more than you.
>>
>>135976215
>Also it's not being high and mighty if I actually know more than you.

yknow here i am thinking i could have a legitimate debate about TTGL, but silly me

okay, you have not proven that TTGL is not a parody, but yes, you have proven that it has drama, a storyline, and an underlying tone, but you cant explain the over the top action and ridiculousness
>>
y yhuu gay retards arguin ova which shit anime iz betta ctfu
>>
>>135974804
Would watch/10
>>
>>135976357
The over the top ridiculousness is a part of mecha. There's always been certain mecha shows in which ridiculous, over-the-top action was the norm, specifically in the form of shows like Getter Robo. Additionally, Imaishi has always been an action director and he's always liked silly, ridiculous stuff over more grounded scenes. That's just his personal style and that's another reason why the over-the-top style was chosen.
>>
>>135974571
Gurren Lagann didn't impress me at all.
The first half was great for the most part, but the second half was mediocre at best.
Especially the ending was a letdown.
Especially the death scenes of the Gurren Lagann members left me completely cold. Why the hell should I care about these characters when the anime never bothered to make me invested?
The teacher episode was by far the best of the second half.

Also NGE/EoE is superior.
>>
>>135974571

RahXephon is better than both. I'm rewatching it now and it's even better than I remembered. That soundtrack. That cake winning the Ayatob owl.
>>
>these kids actually think ttgl is better than eva
I enjoyed both, but you can't even compare ttgl to eva in terms of story, world-building, character, or cultural impact.
>>
File: 1415106799730.jpg (86 KB, 680x989) Image search: [Google]
1415106799730.jpg
86 KB, 680x989
>This entire thread
>>
Apples v.s Oranges
>>
No argument has ever made me so fucking mad as the "Hideki's depression" shit makes it more symbolic and deep.
I mean,why should I care about the fucking director?
>>
File: socrates.jpg (7 KB, 204x247) Image search: [Google]
socrates.jpg
7 KB, 204x247
>>135974571
>liking epic, simply epic: the anime
>>
>>135979699
The only thing Anno's depression brought about was a significant change in the tone of the show. It's not the reason that Eva is symbolic or "deep". If someone says otherwise they either don't know what they're talking about or they're just shitposting.
>>
File: image.jpg (117 KB, 662x900) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
117 KB, 662x900
>>135974571
The fact that you are bringing evangelion from 1995 to try and compare it shows that Eva is the more influential anime. There are tons of anime better than Eva but few that are as much influence on the anime industry. Now you know and knowing is half the battle. You can now go back to listening to your Pokemon rap. Asuka is best girl btw.
>>
GUNBUSTER IS GREAT
EVA IS GOOD
TTGL IS GOOD-ISH
>>
File: image.jpg (89 KB, 640x944) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
89 KB, 640x944
>>135979950
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DCYnTLLb1oA
>>
>>135979950
What are some anime that are better than NGE?
I couldn't find any so far, but I'm relatively new.
>>
>>135980136
No other show I've watched has the same sort of scale as Eva. ABe and Kon works come close though.
>>
>>135979999
What's so good about Gunbuster?
I'm serious, I've watched it and it failed to do anything significant aside from being influential.
Mediocre characters, mediocre writing and mediocre execution. There is only so much you can do with 6 fucking episodes and it greatly suffered because of it.

It just doesn't hold up today.
>>
>>135980136
What are you looking for? I'm pretty sure I've seen most of the good anime on this earth and can toss you in the right direction.
>>
>>135980387
Doesn't matter what genre. Just something that will leave a bigger impression/impact on me than NGE/EoE.
>>
>>135980136
NGE will always be my fab but Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex was 2nd best for me.
>>
>>135979950
>there are tons of anime better than eva
only a few
>>
>>135974571
Gurren Lagann is shit.
>>
>>135980478
Is it as philosophical as the movie? I really enjoyed that one.

>>135980492
Name some please, I'd genuinely like to know.
>>
>>135980475
You can try Madoka or serial experiments Lain if you wanna watch something quick try Paprika these are all similar to Eva and might have a big impact o. You depending on how dark your soul already is.
>>
>>135980531
Personally I think Eva is the best
>>
>>135980475
Here is the trailer to Paprika.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yn7U1KIGeuQ
>>
>>135980531
You mean you enjoyed nge? Or gits? Either way its more mysterious and crimes for a greater cause. Anymore than that is kinda spoilers?
>>
>>135980614
Mystery*
>>
>>135980541
I have already watched Madoka.
I liked it, especially the ending, but it wasn't as good as NGE for me.
In the end I only really cared about a Homu and I only did so on a shallow level, compared to the main characters of NGE.
Lain is on my to-watch list.
I'll check out Paprika but It will most likely be too short to make me invested enough.

>>135980614
I meant GITS. The execution in the movie was pretty much perfect.
It's kind of like NGE in that regard, perfect execution of a simple theme/concept.
>>
>>135980665
Oh, well it was a while since i watched the movie but i think SAC was more enjoyable because it went on for longer i guess? Im kinda new aswell.
>>
>>135980665
If your afraid of Paprika being to short try Serial Experiments Lain. I'm sure you'll like it. It's my favorite anime.
>>
>>135980665
>a Homu
I didn't mean to write this, but it sounds okay somehow
>>135980736
Yeah that's usually my problem with movies, they are simply too short to make me invested into the characters, which is a huge part of my enjoyment regarding anime.
>>135980752
Yeah I've heard much about it. I'll put it on top of my list, thanks anon.
>>
File: 1440281904821.jpg (49 KB, 283x323) Image search: [Google]
1440281904821.jpg
49 KB, 283x323
>>135974571
Don't start shit OP, come on.
Both shows are different enough to not be put together and have clashing fanbases. There's no right or wrong choice.
Those who prefer Evangelion like darker/edgier plots with somewhat "deep" meanings and lines of thought in their anime.
Those that prefer Gurren Lagann just like fun
>>
I forgot about Akira you can throw that in there as well.
>>
>>135980983
The Manga was pretty good but I honestly think that the movie is pretty flawed.
>>
>>135981044
How?
>>
>>135981112
My main gripe is that the movie introduced too many characters and did too little with them, simply because the movie was too short.
Prime example is Lady Miyako. She felt redundant in the movie and basically just came and went.
One could say I enjoyed the movie less because I already knew the manga.
Another problem is the fast pacing, which is also a result of its length.
>>
>>135981247
>>
Well there is so much you can only do in a movie. I enjoyed it.
>>
>>135981421
>Well there is so much you can only do in a movie.
>I enjoyed it.
I agree to both statements.
Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.