[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>2014+2 >everyone hyped about VR >all the animu community
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 11
File: 3030-dothacksign.png (517 KB, 1000x994) Image search: [Google]
3030-dothacksign.png
517 KB, 1000x994
>2014+2
>everyone hyped about VR
>all the animu community screaming SWORD ART ONLINE
>feel left out
>a-am i the only one who remembers .Hack//Sign?
>>
>>135779216
>a-am I the only one who remembers one of the most popular anime from the early 2000's?
Yes anon, you and only you.
>>
loved it
>>
I remember the ost being amazing and the show being sub-par
>>
I remember being very bored.
>>
>a-am i the only one who remembers .Hack//Sign?
I remember not liking it

I refused to watch SAO because thought it would be the same as that anime (now I refuse to watch it because I already read Overlord).
>>
>>135779216
Mah nigga, i fucking loved that show. It had a top tier ost and the Mimiru.
>>
>>135779451
but anon overlord isnt a trapped in an mmo story.
its more like what if you lived in baldurs gate
>>
>>135779216
I remember .Hack
>>
>>135779216
So is it officially dead? I think this is the longest it's gone without a new release, right?
>>
>>135779216
yes, yes you are.
twilight was best hack
>>
>>135779814
Only because it had the absolutely best OP.
>>
>>135779451
regardless of liking it or not (which i did if nostalgia serves me right), ive mostly just been aware that with all the hype surrounding SOA, it surprising me that nobody, absolutely NOBODY in the SAO fanbase ever gives a nod to the existence of .Hack, when it arguably grandfathered the VR theme in Anime.

just makes me think that the few who remember it are now "old", and there's an entire young generation of fans that make the majority of anime consumers who have never heard of it.
>>
>>135779216
I'm more the online game arc of YuGiOh, but .hack works too
>>
>>135779857
The SAO fanbase is largely made of people who never saw .hack, both because SAO is new and .hack is old, and because SAO is so popular that people who barely watch any anime are watching it.
>>
>>135779857
though .Hack was based on games whereas SAO is one of the first of the webnovel adaptions, so different pedigree.
>>
>>135779979
that's interesting, i had no clue SAO was a webnovel. would you say SAO the anime sticks pretty close to the original?
>>
>>135780047
They left out two years worth of semen, if that's any indication.
>>
I liked sign, but I can see why some people wouldn't like it. That said, I like other entries of the franchise a lot more. That said Sign had some interesting concepts and deconstructed the idea of being trapped in a game before it became really popular. Alberio Best .hack// Protag by the way.
>>
>>135780070
gonna have to check it out, being that im pretty hyped for SteamVR coming out this year i need something to kill the time during these lonlely non VR nights that i can't spend with my 3D waifu
>>
>>135779216
>everyone hyped about VR
Didn't the price announcement just kill it? Or was that a case of vocal minority.
>>
>>135780127
its one instance where i may like it more based on nostalgia than actually liking the content. been over a decade since ive seen the original.

iirc, the original was insanely dialogue intense.
>>
>>135780169
when i saw the price announcement my eyed definitely went wide. (oculus always originally said it would be more affordable than the developer kits)

but that doesn't mean we'll never have affordable VR. if the other companies don't compete with oculus's proposed price, then regardless prices will start dropping after the technology's been release for a while just like any other consumer tech.
>>
>>135780194
Yeah i can get that. It being very dialog heavy can be a turn off, but I sort of like dialog heavy shows so it doesn't really bug me, as long as what they're talking about is interesting. Which entry is your favorite, if I might ask?
>>
>>135779216
I liked Sign, if only because the characters themselves were pretty much interesting in that almost all of them were dysfunctional losers using the game as an escape.

If I had went in not knowing that it was extremely light on action, I might have been disappointed.
>>
>>135779675
Ainzsama is trapped in the MMO though.
The .hack games had a pretty great OST though.

Haralds theme man.

Never gotten around to playing G.U. but watched Roots though.
>>
Soon https://dothacktranslate.wordpress.com/2016/01/05/70-complete/
Only a few years now.
>>
>>135780243
hmm, probably been too long to really say. i know the most recent one i saw was when roots was airing and that seemed to be of the darker shows of the series; but it felt too short.

origin .hack//sign being dialogue heavy, but is probably the most nostalgic to me because its what first really got me dreaming about the possibility of full immersion VR.

my favorite content wise is probably twilight. had cute loli version of mimiru, more combat and still had a decent amount of dialogue. probably the easiest to watch without getting bored if im looking for raw entertainment value
>>
>>135780273
Same here honestly, but that's the charm of the franchise. It's more about the characters being losers and the weird bizarre cryptic plots they get involved in, rather than action and adventuring.
>>
>>135779216
When I watched SAO I was expecting .hack// I was disappoint. It wasn't bad but it wasn't worth all the praise it got. .hack// is just so much better.
>>
>>135780404
Oh I'm assuming you've only watched the animes then? .hack//roots itself is a prequel anime to one of the video games series, pretty much explaining why the protag of those games is so edgy. and Twilight's anime, as far as I know, isn't canon. Only the manga for Twilight is actually canon to the franchise as a whole, and it's far better in my opinion. I'd recommend looking up a FULL list of the .hack// Canon, since the anime entries literally are the least interesting entries into the franchise, The franchise itself has a lot more content to offer than just the anime they put out.
>>
>>135779216
Yes you are OP, youre a special snowflake like that
>>
>>135780347
>haralds theme

what's this from?
>>
I like how information works like a puzzle in such multi media projects. Things from the anime were explained or hinted at in the games or novels you read, like Black Rose's PoV in one of the novel series, or the fact that Haseo was Sora which was never clearly said in the games.
I always loved to follow all .hack related publications and search for details related to the other series, games or former characters I liked.
>>
CC Project was talking about some big announcement for this year since its their 20th anniversary, I hope it's some new .hack shit on PC or PS4
>>
>>135780542
gotcha, ill be re-obsessing myself with .hack for awhile.
>>
>>135780569
From the .hack games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCyiFm5qFKE
>>
>>135780641
>developing a full VR supported .hack//VR mmo with online cross platform support, released with free mock hospital beds for immersion kicks
>>
>>135780347
G.U is better than roots, in the fact that more actually happens in G.U and G.U is really the meat of the story. Roots can be kind of a slog to get through, which turns some people off of G.U, but they really tonally couldn't be different. For a comparison, Roots seems to focus more on haseo being edgy and how badly Tri edge hurt him, while G.U focuses more on how Haseo being edgy is a huge problem and makes him come off like an unlikable asshole, and how he needs to stop being and angsty teenager. The side characters are more fleshed out and amusing, and it's over all more interesting.
>>
Why do you expect youngins to know what .hack is it so fucking dumb.

Anyone who was watched Toonami when .hack was airing knows what .hack is. Stop trying to act like you're above for watching awful shit, both SAO and .hack weren't good.
>>
I liked how the stories dealt with escapism without the use of annoying harem antics. It was also one of the few VR settings in which the real world stuff actually played a role. Most series of this genre could just be full blown fantasy which make me wonder why they even choose that in-game setting in the first place.
I liked how the .hack characters were often some insecure guys, NEETs or smoking old guys in real life while being sparkling heroes in the game.
>>
>The days of .hack//Sign and playing the original .hack games with that fake web browser for "The World" forums
>>
>>135780782
i don't really expect them to know. but being a part of the exact same sub-genre within anime, it would seem like some SAO fans would talk about .hack unless the generation who grew up with SAO truly is ancient at this point.
>>
File: cc2.jpg (179 KB, 1281x719) Image search: [Google]
cc2.jpg
179 KB, 1281x719
>>135780641
The first part of the phone game is already known but yeah, they wanted to announce more. I guess they'll only do that after Silver Maiden Tears (or however it was called) gets released.
>>
>>135780877
grew up with .hack i mean
>>
>>135780839
SAO actually deals pretty heavily with the real world. at least that really starts coming about from the second season onward once they get out of the original death game.
>>
File: winter2016card-425x630.jpg (116 KB, 425x630) Image search: [Google]
winter2016card-425x630.jpg
116 KB, 425x630
At least we have a date for this one.
>>
Comparing .hack and SAO is a good way to look at two generations of anime.

The former actually had stories to tell while the latter is 95% pandering.
>>
>>135780839
That's what sets .hack// as a whole above most VR anime these days for me. Precisely because the story plays off of the fact that it's a game. And I don't mean characters talking about things like statistics or skills they have, I mean characters discussing the rules of the game, the coding of it, and addressing bugs and shit. It goes a step and above into making it feel that these people are playing an online game.

The best parts are when characters send you emails talking about their personal lives in the games, or when the characters just shoot the shit about real world events while going on quests. It's pretty great.
>>
>>135779216
PS2 series is master race though.
(G.U not included)
>>
File: 112035287954252ead1023e0011.png (483 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
112035287954252ead1023e0011.png
483 KB, 512x512
>>135780997
Yeah, it was also always funny to guess who is who in real life. You never knew if some cute girl wasn't actually a 30 year old guy in reality. Or vice versa. It's like having two characters that tell you about the real person from different PoVs - it was very interesting.
>>
>>135781127
big spoiler about main character in .hack//sign
>>
>>135780839
I also want to point out how well they explored the real world stuff without ever leaving the game setting either.
>>
>>135781167
but then again, it wasn't really a spoiler. we all should have known after witnessing the amount of period juice he had in his character "emotions"
>>
File: 1452129091687.jpg (51 KB, 960x721) Image search: [Google]
1452129091687.jpg
51 KB, 960x721
>>135780070
>two years worth of semen condensed into two seasons
This makes a few things make a lot more sense.
>>
>>135781127
I know they actually released a lot of extra info for some of the characters in magazines and what not, that tells you a ton about their personal lives. Some are pretty right on the mark, some aren't obvious but believable if you read the emails and extra info about the characters, others are just flat out shocking and hilarious.

Also I'll give an added note, I like how the actual protags of the series themselves are also as equally as strange and introverted as the other characters, most of the time.
For example, AI buster, We have Alberio, a hard core gamer who eventually made it into the gaming industry himself because of how obsessed he was. He makes himself out to be a sort of cool hero but he's a borderline hikikimori who literally takes advantage of his office's break rooms so he doesn't have to waste time going home so he could play more games. It's really fun to see him guess characters ages based on how they act, because he's almost completely off base.

Hell even Haseo, who's a total edgelord is pretty alright himself as a protagonist, especially when you realize he's just an insecure angsty teenager literally playing an online game to make himself out to be some badass anti hero with a goal (saving shino) to make up for the fact that he's kind of a total loser in the real world. I'm fairly certain that the novels confirm canon that his parents essentially pay off a private apartment room for him, and he's either a borderline hikikimori who only leaves his room to go to school, or eventually after a while he just stopped bothering to show up. I can't remember.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (79 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
79 KB, 1280x720
>>135779803
>.hack link ended early because of too many issues
>.hack versus was 3 years ago

Probably
>>
File: dot_hack.jpg (48 KB, 628x465) Image search: [Google]
dot_hack.jpg
48 KB, 628x465
>>135779803
>>135781560
See >>135780951
There is a whole new project ongoing. "New World" or .hack//NU. Pic related seem to be some upcoming MCs in real life.
>>
>>135780953

I have to agree.

I have to admit that back then I refused to pick it up because the MC kinda looked like Shinji, but after giving it a try, I was pleased, though I can get why people brushed it off. It has a slow start.
>>
>>135781491
>I'm fairly certain that the novels confirm canon that his parents essentially pay off a private apartment room for him, and he's either a borderline hikikimori who only leaves his room to go to school, or eventually after a while he just stopped bothering to show up. I can't remember

The one you're describing is Elk's real life player.

Though Haseo's player has a knack for being edgy. He was the one playing as Sora in //SIGN, after all.
>>
>final boss of the MMO was in an area you could only reach by exploiting
>the encounter was completely untuned, untested and broken
>"WE'RE GONNA DO IT ANYWAY"
>engaging the final boss causes the server to completely shit itself and crash
>nobody even gets any loot

Quality EverQuest raid
>>
>>135781491
>playing an online game to make himself out to be some badass anti hero with a goal (saving shino) to make up for the fact that he's kind of a total loser in the real world
This is what I really loved about GU. In almost all other series Haseo would just have been the altruistic hero that saves the damsel in distress but here was made clear that his obsession over Shino was just a way to run away from his own problems. Hell, Shino wasn't even ever interested in him. She didn't fell in love with him after he saved her like such characters usually do. She was always closer to Ovan since he saved her from her illness, whatever it was.
>>
File: 42018565_p17.png (246 KB, 564x800) Image search: [Google]
42018565_p17.png
246 KB, 564x800
>>135781872
You're both right. Elk was the actual hikkikomori but it was stated somewhere (manga, info books and/or novels) that he skipped school more and more often due to an obession over his revenge on Tri-Edge.
>>
>>135779216
Hack Sign is a perfect anime to spot people with shit taste.
A masterpiece.
>>
>>135780699
That's not Piros' theme
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxrxV_-fV-I
>>
File: not the only one.jpg (63 KB, 569x720) Image search: [Google]
not the only one.jpg
63 KB, 569x720
>>135779216
>>
>>135782794
7 billions a gvt conspiracy
>>
Wait, are we getting The World finally? Damn I must have been living under a rock if I missed this bit of news.
>>
>>135783195
its not a conspiracy, goy, don't you ever forget about the 6 billion that were gassed!
>>
CC2 is working on new games for 2016, we may be finally getting a new game and hopefully a new animation project with it too.

>>135779979
.Hack isn't based on the games though, both the anime and the games were made together
>>
Hack is almost as bad as SAO, and that's saying something
>>
>>135784618
Sign is 1000 times better than SAO. Can't tell about the rest.
Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.