[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it better they never showed it?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 6
File: punpunface.jpg (183 KB, 606x758) Image search: [Google]
punpunface.jpg
183 KB, 606x758
Is it better they never showed it?
>>
>>135716855
The lack of showing his face was symbolic for how disillusioned punpun is with reality.
So yes.
>>
>>135716940
So even until the very end he was still disillusioned?
>>
>>135717116
It's open to interpretation I'd suppose but the manga hints at that. He's gotten a second chance but it's not like he's gotten over all of the rape and abuse and death of his waifu and all.
>>
>>135716855

Am I the only one who thinks that when he met back up with that crazy bitch the manga started going to shit? I loved it up til that part but couldn't stand the whole murderers-on-the-run shit along with the cult shit that didn't amount to anything important.
>>
>>135717416
Pretty much the same thing for me too
>>
who drew that portrait, Sachi or Punpun? can't remember
also what kind of bitch haircut is that, Punpun was some kind of dyke looking fag
>>
>>135716855
Probably. Punpuns changing appearence was the result of him acting his way through life. He never let him be himself. Instead he pretended to be other people, or other personalities.

If they showed his real face it would have ruined the illusion. The bandaged face implies that while he's solved his issues, he's still a mental wreck and will need to recover before he can go on living.

>>135717416
They had shitty lives. Can you really say that Punpun and his waifu weren't ready to kill someone? Punpun had been abandoned by his parents, the government institutions like school and welfare, and his waifu (can't remember her name) was repeatedly raped by those cultists.
>>
>>135717684
What are you on about? Aiko was a virgin until she met Punpun again
>>
>>135717594
Sachi. I don't think PunPun can draw.
I bet he looked rugged as fuck on his hell trip with Aiko, though.
>>
File: 1449515243507.jpg (60 KB, 694x448) Image search: [Google]
1449515243507.jpg
60 KB, 694x448
140~ chapters of suffering
No happy ending
For what reason
>>
File: 1414383382916.png (175 KB, 390x390) Image search: [Google]
1414383382916.png
175 KB, 390x390
>>135717853
Because life has no happy endings.
>>
>>135716855
yeah, Punpun's metaphorical representation was one of the main trait of this manga, it would have been pretty out of contest to show his real face
i loved the way they used his dark face as a speech bubble towards the end especially
>>
>>135717853
Asano is a hack who can't write a remotely satisfying ending.
>>
What happened to Aiko's body after Punpun left it with those two kids? And why did Aiko stab him in the eye?
>>
>>135718049
>What happened to Aiko's body after Punpun left it with those two kids?

/ss/
>>
File: 1449531157941.jpg (39 KB, 690x610) Image search: [Google]
1449531157941.jpg
39 KB, 690x610
Friendly remainder that everything Punpun had to go through he brought it upon himself for not facing his problems and bitching about who the world is against him
>>
>>135718049
>And why did Aiko stab him in the eye?
Bitch was crazy.
>>
>>135718136
That's the point, yes. He was extremely selfish in his thoughts.
>>
>>135717853
i loved every page of suffering even though it hurt physically to keep reading at some points
Shimizu's backstory was like a screwdriver stabbed in a thigh for some reason
>>
>>135718294
Who was hand?
>>
>>135718136
The idea that we "bring it upon ourselves" all our tragedy is quite disgusting desu, neither Aiko nor Punpun deserved all the shit that happened to them, they simply didn't react in the best way to it
>>
>>135718136
well, not much he could do as a kid about having a batshit crazy mother
>>
>>135716855
Yes the story had more impact this way, at least for me.
If he was attractive you could say he has no reason to be depressed. If he was ugly it would be too easy to blame all his problems on him being ugly.
In the end depression doesn't care if you're good looking or not.
>>
>>135718826
He is described as handsome multiple times though.
>>
>>135718925
My mum also describes me as handsome.
>>
One thing I never understand...Who was the guy at the top of the rooftop in the abandoned building?
>>
>>135717767
I might be getting stories confused. I thought Aiko was raped by some of the members of the cult her mother joined
>>
>>135719041
I'm pretty sure it was Punpun.
>>
>>135719102
no, she was just abused by her mother
still fucked her up more than enough
>>
>>135719175
What? What makes you think that?
>>
>>135717989
>what is solanin
>>
>>135717989
>I don't like the ending so the author is a hack who can't write
>>
Is there anyone who considers Pegasus' stuff important? Why?
Everyone (including me) that I know that has read Punpun agrees that Pegasus was completely unnecessary. I'd like to hear a different opinion for once.
>>
>>135717989
The ending doesn't make or break a story. It's the journey that matters.
>>
>>135720116
I thought it was interesting if only to give Seki something to do. one of my favorite characters in the manga for whatever reason.
>>
>>135719432
IIRC in the final chapters punpun returns to that same rooftop where he originally saw the figure
It shows a panel which parallels the original panel of the figure he saw on his first visit to the rooftop
but this time the shadow of the head is distinguishable as being in the shape of a bird
>>
>>135720533
Is that so? I haven't read it in so long that I forgot a good amount of details. I think it's time for a reread.
>>
>>135717416
>the cult shit that didn't amount to anything important.
According to Asano they literally saved the world, though.
>>
>>135720116
see
>>135721176
>>
>>135720116
The author said he included Pegasus first because focusing on Punpun (during a part where he was pretty depressed) would be boring. Than he decided to bring more meaning to this, and Pegasus and his group of delusional followers actuality save the world (something to with the meteor shower at the end of the story)
>>
>>135721585
*Then *actually
>>
>>135717116
At the end he was worse than pretty much any point in his life, so yes.
>>
>>135717853
>no happy ending
Punpun being saved by Sachi is by far a happier ending than i expected in all honesty
>>
>>135718369
his dead mother, or is there some joke i'm not getting?
>>
>>135722139
"saved" is relative in punpun's case. He still is distancing himself from his "new family" and living without any ambitions in his life, at the same time with the desire to just disappear from everyone's memory.
>>
>>135718049
>>135718174
I thought she couldn't do it, which is why he stabbed himself in the eye at the end before they found him at the factory.
>>
>>135718826
>>135718925
I think he was actually attractive, but was so fucking empty that he couldn't even muster up actual human interaction. Like he had to imitate and pretend he was someone else in order to appear popular and actually talk to someone normally.
>>
Is it bad I relate so hard to PunPun and I think about the manga almost everyday for the past year?
>>
>>135722366
she literally, physically saved his life (twice)
yeah Punpun is too wounded inside to really ever live a happy life, but at least he has people that care about him now
>>
>>135722764
Yes, that is really bad. Go outside Punpun. Do it for Aiko.
>>
>>135722972
I have an Aiko already but she's not nearly as crazy as the real Aiko.

I don't know senpai I feel weird inside
>>
>>135723007
maybe you should just have a drastic change
do something really risky, even if you get hurt it's better than being stagnant

t. someone slowly escaping depression
>>
>>135722972
Aiko would been way better if Punpun never went outside
>>
>>135716940
no it isn't. his face was never shown so otakus could self-insert
>>
>>135723744
yes it is
>>
>>135716855
Showed what? His eyes?
>>
Finished reading this today and my hearth wont stop hurting.
I cried for 10 minutes while reading chapter 145.
I'll just go ahead and kill myself.
>>
>series is very mediocre and even badly written at times (seriously asano is a fucking hack with the pegasus shit)
>almost entirely crutches on atmosphere/art (traces backgrounds which detracts from the "art" but not the experience)
>aiko could have been a great character, but comes in and out of the story and is ENTIRELY underdeveloped/utilized despite being the entire reason that punpun is the way he is

Yet I still like the series a lot. I do feel it's SUPREMELY overrated and a lot of peoples first dark manga so they overreact. (similar to shitgatsufags experiencing their first coming of age story etc).
>>
>>135723744
Why the fuck would you self insert as punpun
>>
Am I the only one that liked Sachi?
>>
>>135727189
No, it is widely accepted that she is one, if not the best character in the entire series. She was better for punpun too. He was ironically good for her too
>>
>>135727033
If we keep shitposting on /a/ all days, we have a high chance to become punpun.
>>
I was ready to drop this manga but the uncle arc was compelling.

Once the murder started, it went to shit imo. Then again you can just wave the depressed or crazy wand to make everything make sense to how they reacted to the entire situation.

Conclusion was not satisfying for me.

I always thought that they were bird people livong in the near future setting and that would make sense if that cult actually "saved" the world.
>>
>>135727189
No, Sachi was the best
>>
>>135727288
>I always thought that they were bird people livong in the near future setting and that would make sense if that cult actually "saved" the world.

I seriously cannot fucking believe this. But you're absolutely right that the series went to shit after sachi arc ended.
>>
>>135727235
weird. when the manga was still being translated, she got shat on every thread for aiko fags and everyone hated her for being an author self insert.
>>
File: lf.jpg (199 KB, 595x853) Image search: [Google]
lf.jpg
199 KB, 595x853
reminder that viz is finally releasing the series officially

in march

and i think it's a two volumes per book like solanin
>>
>>135727351
I'm sorry anon. I didn't know what I was reading and literally took everything literally instead of symbolic surrealism.

I kept asking myself if this shit is actually just a normal setting or not. But the god and cult sections keep popping up so often with surreal imagery and people being batshit insane didn't help.
>>
I enjoyed the childhood arc the most
After the uncle arc I kinda got tired of the characters
>>
>>135727030
>aiko could have been a great character, but comes in and out of the story and is ENTIRELY underdeveloped/utilized despite being the entire reason that punpun is the way he is

I think it was important for the reader to know as little as possible about what's going on with Aiko. Punpun put her on a pedestal and whenever life was shit he would think that things he would be saved by Aiko (I felt Aiko was thinking the same with Punpun). But bitch (and Punpun) be cray.

>>135727608
I'm sure Aiko seemed more appealing before you learned how fucked up she and her life was.
>>
>>135727750
Till Asano said they really saved the world I always though Pegasus and everyone else was a bunch of crazy dudes doing crazy things so I didn't mind them.
>>
>>135717684
I don't remember any rape, is this a new meme?
>>
>>135727653
oh really? that's better, considering the third book is released in like November, that seemed like far too long to wait for just three volumes
>>
>>135723007
>she's not nearly as crazy as the real Aiko
Punpun thought that Aiko was a normal person too, anon.
>>
>>135727653
that cover is terrible
Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.