[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
why are sports animes so much better than fighting animes even
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 8
why are sports animes so much better than fighting animes even though they use pretty much the exact same setups? why are /asp/ sports animes the best sports animes?
>>
Because sports have clear sets of rules and limitations to follow. Assuming the viewer knows or is taught about the rules through the show, they get a much clearer perspective on what may or may not happen during a "battle" and can thus get more invested in what is happening.

Fighting anime, battle shonen or otherwise, can usually aspull unbelievable things or sometimes even not make any effort at all to set the framework for combat.
>>
>>135709899
>Because sports have clear sets of rules and limitations to follow.
I regret that I didn't save any pictures from New Prince of Tennis, like that one dude summoning a pirate skeleton or the other guy using a black hole.
But anyway, you're wrong.
>>
>>135709929
You don't get it. When someone does do something completely out of the ordinary in a sports show you bat an eye because it's beyond what you expect them to be able to do. When you're watching some battle show where magic powers are frequent you sometimes have no idea where the bar is set.
>>
File: do it for him.jpg (140 KB, 1366x722) Image search: [Google]
do it for him.jpg
140 KB, 1366x722
Everyone shut the fuck up and post best Basugay.
>>
Haikyuu is shit though.

So close to dropping it.
>>
>>135709982
>When you're watching some battle show where magic powers are frequent you sometimes have no idea where the bar is set.
That's pretty much the perfect description of Prince of Tennis.
Seriously, you have no idea what you are talking about.
>>
>>135710018
Sure, if you deviate from reality such as in Saki or evidently Prince of Tennis you may lose the attention of the viewer. I'm mainly talking about stuff like Ookiku Furikabutte or Chihayafuru where the sport is actually a sport and not some medium for channelling magic.

I suppose the usual tournament structure of sport shows create a good amount of tension as well.
>>
>>135710001
Your taste is shit though
>>
>>135710196
There are fighting anime that stay (close to) within the boundaries of what is realistic, and there are sports anime that do the same. There are also fighting anime *and* sports anime that take pleasure in going beyond any such boundaries to ridiculous extents.
That is not *the* difference between fighting anime and sports anime.

>I suppose the usual tournament structure of sport shows
Most shonen action shows have tournament arcs too. So that's not *the* difference either.
>>
>>135710266
Shonen action shows usually have one or a couple of tournament arcs, sure, but are usually not entirely structured around them in the same way as sports shows are. Furthermore the tournament arcs of shonenshit are often relatively well received compared the rest of the content in them.

But feel free to contribute your own theory as to why sports anime gets your blood pumping at any time
>>
File: Ganguro.jpg (91 KB, 566x800) Image search: [Google]
Ganguro.jpg
91 KB, 566x800
>>135709993
MVP
>>
>>135709804
>animes
>>
>>135710205

>Falling for the bait
>>
>>135709804
>animes
>>
>>135710367
>Furthermore the tournament arcs of shonenshit are often relatively well received compared the rest of the content in them.
I can't confirm that, and I lack the data to deny it. I'll have to let it stand.

>why sports anime gets your blood pumping at any time
And here is the thing. I haven't noticed a real difference in quality between well-written action and well-written sports. There's plenty of sports anime that I dropped because I found them boring.
>>
>>135710501
If you didn't even agree with the premise of the subject from the get-go I'm not surprised you disagreed with me at each step of the way. I had some more theories but I won't bother.

"*The* difference" in the case for you seems to be that one is about sports and the other is not. I think there's more to it, however.
>>
>>135710367
I don't know I usually hate it when a non-sports show has a tournament arc. at first I thought the difference is that the sports animes I like are based on seinen mangos, but I like shokugeki no souma too which runs in the same magazine as naruto. maybe it's just because wanting to be the best at street racing or pro wrestling seems more relatable than being some gumby ass pirate.
>>
>>135710638
>I'm not surprised you disagreed with me at each step of the way.
That's a misunderstanding. I wasn't defending my opinion. I haven't formed one yet that I would really subscribe to. I was just discussing your arguments with you. Where I can't do that without pulling shit out of my ass, I won't.
>>
>>135710672
It being relatable is a good point. Most of us have probably never been in a real fight where our lives are on the line, but sports are a different story. Of course, you haven't played them all, but I think you can relate to one if you can relate to another, it's just about the competitive mood and investment in the possibility of success.
>>
>>135709804
>animes
>>
>>135710894
Are war veterans more likely to enjoy action shonen than children that have never seen war?
>>
>>135709804
>mangas
Oh wait...
>>
>>135710950
I couldn't tell you, but I'm guessing they can't since battle shonen is nothing like real world war.
>>
File: 1447400877401.jpg (273 KB, 2239x1550) Image search: [Google]
1447400877401.jpg
273 KB, 2239x1550
>>135709804
Sports has ping pong
What does fighting have?
>>
File: 20160102194920645.jpg (121 KB, 655x960) Image search: [Google]
20160102194920645.jpg
121 KB, 655x960
Only sports anime I've watched is Kuroko no basuke

Is there a better sports anime I'm missing out on?

It's pretty fuckin awesome, can't wait till extra game becomes an anime (hopefully)
>>
>>135711390
It's getting a movie and depending on who you ask, other anime might be better or worse.

I myself love KnB and got bored of anime like Giant Killing and Haikyuu. On the other end of the spectrum, Inazuma Eleven was too much for me.
>>
>>135710205
Not him by I hate how they spend 10+ episodes training
>>
>>135711390
I only read Extra Game and have to ask, is the rest of the manga like that?

>Not even God can stop me now!

That white haired guy is talking about basketball! And they have some kind of future seeing eyes, can stop time or use schizophrenia to get stronger.
Is every shonen sport such a chuuni fest?
>>
>>135711390
saki
initial d
shokugeki no souma
>>
>>135709804
Regular sports anime are usually pretty boring to me. The problem is that most of the time the course of the matches/games and the outcome are too obvious, so no tension is build. Also the characters are often rather bland. I do enjoy some, though. Mostly those that either rely heavily on strategy (Akagi, One Outs), or feature unusual sports and unusually well written chracaters like Chihahyafuru.
>>
File: fucking a lied to me again.jpg (191 KB, 1100x500) Image search: [Google]
fucking a lied to me again.jpg
191 KB, 1100x500
>>135711591
>Is every shonen sport such a chuuni fest?
Nah. Every sports anime is on like a spectrum of "supernatural V realistic". Giants Killing is on the realistic side of things, where literally zero superhero shit occurs.
Inazuma Eleven and Beyblades are on the other spectrum.

Then you have all the other sports anime appearing in between.

Kuroko no Basuke is actually pretty tame. At best it has "exaggerated" basketball which means that everything that happens technically could be possible in real life but doesn't. The worst it gets is seeing into the future and having 100% accuracy from anywhere in the court.

Also nobody stops time in Kuroko no Basuke. It's just exaggerated panels.
>>
>>135709804
But what if sports anime is also fighting anime
>>
>>135710001

u fuckin wut m8?

It's the best sports show in a long, long time.
>>
>>135711390
Uh, yes the original BEST basketball anime.
Slam Dunk
>>
Kuroko no Basket is good if you just accept it's gonna be DBZ with basketballs.
>>
>>135711437
a movie!?

haven't been this hyped in a while
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.