[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I just watched this japanese film called Love and Pop. It
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1
File: love and pop.png (287 KB, 572x442) Image search: [Google]
love and pop.png
287 KB, 572x442
So I just watched this japanese film called Love and Pop. It had some really interesting visual direction so I was interested in checking out what other things the creator worked on. Turns out he's mainly known for his work in animation, he even made Evangelion which I know is really popular.

My question is, how does his direction on love and pop compare with his other works. I haven't really seen any anime besides some stuff that aired on tv when I was a kid like Sailor Moon, Dragonball or Pokemon, but I'm open minded and willing to check it out if it's also visually as interesting.

Just to be sure people know who I'm talking about his name is Hideaki Anno and besides Evangelion and Love and Pop he worked on:
Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water
Gunbuster
These are his anime and his films are:
Ritual
>>
>>135652052
Nadia, Gunbuster, and Evangelion are all very highly praised shows. If you do end up watching Evangelion make sure you dont watch the rebuilds and that after the series you watch the End of Evangelion movie.
>>
>>135652052
Also people might give you shit for posting a rec thread here and tell you to go to >>>/wsr/. The only reason I didnt it cause it was a well writted post and was a decent question. Not just "MORE LIKE LOVE AND POP"
>>
>>135652768
Thanks. I was wondering what are some differences and similarities between the two though. Besides the fact that those are animated and love and pop is not.
>>135652818
Ok, I didn't know. As I mentioned I don't really watch animation so I never go on this board. But I didn't get much response on /tv/. I figured the guy is a lot more known for his animated work.
>>
You should also check out Kare Kano, Anno also directs that.
>>
>>135652052
Both Love and Pop and Evangelion contain a closeup of a hand covered in semen.
>>
>>135652052
Love and Pop was an experimental film based on the novel Topaz: Tokyo Decadence 2. You can tell by the camera work at the start of the film that it was him mostly trying out new angles and composition.

The film had a small release because it was about compensated dating and a more mainstream movie of the same theme came out around the same time.

If you want to see a drama from Hideaki Anno, not an anime, his next film after this, Shiki Jitsu, is the more accomplished of the two. I happen to own a copy and it is one of my favorite films of all time.
>>
Is this a thread where people pretend Anno actually has a shred of talent? lel
>>
>>135652768
>Nadia, Gunbuster, and Evangelion are all very highly praised shows.

This is false. Gunbuster is praised. Nadia and Evangelion are both polarizing
>>
>>135654983
>a more mainstream movie of the same theme came out around the same time
What would that be?
>>
>>135655297
Bounce Ko Gals

Never seen it. I just know of it from what I know of L&P.

By the way L&P had a kind of director's cut with about 4 minutes of extra movie. It was never translated and it's hard to find, even raw so I don't know if you liked the movie enough to even try to find it.
>>
>>135655121
Evangelion is only polarizing among contrarians.
>>
>>135655453
Oh, I'm not OP, but thank you for the interesting information.
>>
>>135655612
No worries.
>>
>>135654983
>If you want to see a drama from Hideaki Anno, not an anime, his next film after this, Shiki Jitsu, is the more accomplished of the two.
I do plan on checking out but I wouldn't mind checking out his animated works either if they also had similar or in general some kind of interesting experimental visual elements. What would you say about the shot composition and choreography (hard to talk about camera work in this case in Evangelion, Nadia, Gunbuster and this one: >>135653295
compared to love and pop?
>>135655121
I have very vague knowledge about those so you might be right.
>>
>>135655093
>Look at me I'm different because I don't recognize a famous director's talent.
Kid please.
>>
>>135654399
Quality point out there anon.
>>
>>135656436
Evangelion starts out with very good but more conventional choreography, but due to budget issues they ended up going more experimental towards the end of the TV series. The End of Evangelion film, meanwhile, combines the two really successfully with a good budget to help out, and ended up becoming one of my favorite films.
Most of Anno's work is very interesting visually, I find. I doubt you'll really be disappointed by any of them. Love & Pop is definitely one of the most visually out-there of his works, though.
>>
>>135652052
Anon is a complete hack post EVA
>>
>>13565643
It does in my opinion, it doesn't seem as obvious as Love and Pop because the "camera" is more static, but there is a lot of attention put to shot composition, framing and choreography. One thing is that there seems to be a tendency towards more gemetrical shots, which kind of made me thing that Anno was inspired by Kubrick in more than just his surreal ending and aesthetic elements from 2001.
But on top of that there are lots of shots used to reflect the emotions of the characters. When the main character is presented as feeling lonely there is a tendency towards shots presenting empty spaces and abandoned city landscapes. When later on the distance between characters starts to play an important role we see a lot of shots in which the characters are seperated by actual physical distance or where one of the characters is covered in shadows. There's one specific shot I remember where two characters start becomming cold to each other, and while they speak kind words they are shown seperated by a room.
Add to this very well choreographed fights, everyone remembers one specific one in the last movie but there are lots of memorable ones throughout the series. They hired two incridible animators: Mitsuo Iso and Yoh Yoshinari, of which one is known for being good at presenting momentum, realism and impact while the other one for exaggeration and stylization. Their strengths were used when each of these was needed. They became big names later on in the industry and both of them actully ended up directing their own shows, but they started here.
And of course probably most famously their are scenes later on where there are sequences of images which more directly reflect the character's minds in what is a kind of supernatural stream of consciousness. I think these tend to be the most similar to what we had in love and pop.

Overall I think Evangelion is where Anno's tendency for more experimental visual direction started.
>>
>>135659185
>Anno was inspired by Kubrick
He made Evangelion's staff watch Kubrick's films.
>>
>>135659185
Post was too long, don't listen to this guy:
>>135658873

I won't get into his other shows as much but Kare Kano definitely has lots of the elements I mentioned earlier, going pretty much crazy in terms of visuals.

Cutie Honey didn't have all this. It was a a more over the top stylized comedy action show, so it has more direction to reflect that. Being so different from Eva and Kare Kano it still looked great, but I think there were anime works even produced by the same company that did the same thing better.

Rebuilds are a whole other story. Anno started working with a protege, actually he has since the original serie but back then he didn't have much of his own style. He developed it later on, but it's the kind that is totally incompatible with Eva in my opinion and it's alost as if these two negated each other and created a direction-wise much blander work.
>>
>>135652052
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ntZhZKOy1o
>>
>>135659230
Nice, I didn't know that. Do you have any source on that? Or on how Kubrick inspired him in general?
>>
>>135659271
Damn, this video lead to so many misinterpretations it's astounding.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.