[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So what did /a/ think of Texhnolyze? I just finished it, that
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 103
Thread images: 16
File: image.jpg (170 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
170 KB, 800x600
So what did /a/ think of Texhnolyze?

I just finished it, that ending hit me desu. Thought the show was good anyway
>>
File: shikata ga nai.jpg (63 KB, 709x480) Image search: [Google]
shikata ga nai.jpg
63 KB, 709x480
Boring pretentious shit desu senpai
>>
Pseudo-intellectual pleb bait for people who confuse a complete lack of plot with "depth."
>>
Somehow I don't think you typed out that desu.
>>
>>135603119
I couldn't pass the second episode with how boring this shit was. I even wanted to go through with the 3 ep rule but just no.
>>
>>135603184
>>135603198
>>135603349
Good to know /a/ is not dead yet
>>
>>135603119
it tells one of the ultimate fates that could befall humanity and does so with intense catharsis and is suggestive of the spirit of mankind in a profound way
>>
>>135603119
I watched the first episode since the guy in the pic looked like something from BLAME
instant regret
>>
>>135603119
It's good but I could understand why people might not like it.
>>
File: TexhnolyzeIchiseRan.png (538 KB, 811x470) Image search: [Google]
TexhnolyzeIchiseRan.png
538 KB, 811x470
>>135603119
It's my favorite anime. I'm glad you liked it, OP.
>>
>>135603198
just like 90% of ergo proxy?
>>
I love the ending of the secretary
>>
>>135603119
masterpiece
>>
>>135605339
Man what a way to go
>>
>>135603184
>>135603349
Come back when you don't have the attention span of a fruit fly

>>135603198
Explain why it's pseudo-intellectual if it is. Otherwise, you're talking out of your ass.
>>
>>135603198
I don't understand why everything that's slow paced is pretentious. Texhnolyze didn't even have that many themes as far as I know.
>>
File: CXACfa4VAAAa1ak.jpg large.jpg (133 KB, 724x1024) Image search: [Google]
CXACfa4VAAAa1ak.jpg large.jpg
133 KB, 724x1024
Hamasaki a best.
>>
File: texhnolyze-scr2[1].jpg (40 KB, 648x364) Image search: [Google]
texhnolyze-scr2[1].jpg
40 KB, 648x364
What the fuck was his problem?
>>
>>135606968
It was just a prank bro
>>
>>135603119
A masterpiece of the medium that made me want to kill myself.

>>135605339
Fuck you, senpai.
>>
>>135606968
He came down from the monotony of the surface world to a place where people were passively standing by under the control of others. He wanted to start a spark of revolution where people would do something to build their lives.
>>
>>135603198
>confuse a complete lack of plot with "depth."
I thought we were talking about Texhnolyze not moeshit.
>>
>>135603198
>lack of plot
Did we even watch the same show? The plot was great, the setting was excellent too.
>"depth"
The actual theme is pretty shallow. It's a refutation of nihilism, it's really obvious, especially after Ichise's final monologue in the last episode. It's about a dude finding meaning in life, that's it, everything else is just world building and story telling.

Texhnolyze is my favorite anime because it accomplishes exactly what it aims to accomplish, nothing more and nothing less. Every single thing in the anime was fairly straightforward (as long as you listen to the dialogue), it really is the exact opposite of pretentious, it's incredibly simple, and even the complicated parts of the story are laid out in a very straightforward manner, nothing is hidden behind pseudo-intellectual bullshit, that's the best part about the entire anime.

The directing is what throws people off, but slow pacing is not "pretentious", you just have fucking ADHD or something.
>>
>>135603763
Is it that shitty/different? I was considering watching it, but had that same fear.
>>
>>135607472
I would say it was more of a refutation of the idea of perfection. An idea against nihilistic outlooks wasn't demonstrated to me. Both the surface world and Lux demonstrate a failure to achieve perfection. The surface world was passive and Lux was active. The former was impotent and the latter was potent. The ultimate goals of both ends was a failure. Texhnolyzation couldn't evolve man (this is why the ultimate Texhnolyzation resulted in the subjects being rooted into the ground) and the surface world couldn't find a way to stop death, and its peace resulting from the potent and energetic being sent down to Lux only resulted in monotony and a slow death.
>>
>>135603119
Dropped it at the first episode. Boring pretentious trash.
>>
>>135607966
>Boring

Why?

>Pretentious

Why?
>>
A lot of anime that tries to be deep ends up being pretentious. I'm not sure if I should watch Texhnolyze.
>>
>>135608150
Pretentious is a buzzword that everybody throws around in threads about shows like this but they never explain why they think it is. I would give it a chance. It's not like Ergo Proxy where everything is overshadowed by a philosophical wave that comes in for no reason and doesn't get its point across. It's got a lot of action, and it's a pretty cool show. The ending might feel a little "2deep" on the surface but it is really not that bad at all, and it's not a tough show to wrap your head around, you just need to pay attention to details of the plot (watching a dub might help if it's hard for you to catch all the info in subs). The first episode is slow-ish, and presents you with a lot of information without explaining anything. Don't let this discourage you, let it make you curious - a first episode is not supposed to explain everything. It's also very show, don't tell, so think about WHY a character is in the predicament they are in, etc.. The next four episodes might feel boring because of the content, but it's about what it's showing, and it gets better and more digestible.
>>
File: image.jpg (6 KB, 125x125) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
6 KB, 125x125
>>135608150
>>135608369
It picks up around ep 5-6

Also
>ep 14,15 and 16

They were amazing desu
>>
>>135607976
Because he didn't like it and it seemed like it was trying to do something different.
>>
I was sad to see shinji and onishi die, I liked them a lot
>>
I don't think that there is a point to the story in the show.
Ichise futzes about content to live until he finds out that his actions are going to cause the death of everyone around him.
So he does his best to change and he learns a bunch of things about his past, but in the end it doesn't help him change anything. Even beside that, had Ichise continued as he were, the Shapes brought about the fate that they did almost completely regardless of anything that Ichise did.
>>
File: BYZDR0TCUAEEpeB.jpg large.jpg (38 KB, 440x588) Image search: [Google]
BYZDR0TCUAEEpeB.jpg large.jpg
38 KB, 440x588
>>135608841
>but in the end it doesn't help him change anything
He does manage to change for the better in the end, and I think that's what matters in contrast to the bleakness of the ending and the show's pessimistic outlook on humanity.

This anon (>>135603679) seems to sum it up quite well.
>>
File: 1437201747301.jpg (33 KB, 410x396) Image search: [Google]
1437201747301.jpg
33 KB, 410x396
>organo this, racan that
>group A kills people from group B
>group B kills them back
>group A kills them back again
>then group C gets involved
>everybody kill each other
>continue for 20 episodes
>close up of dead person
>close up of rust on pipe
>still of pipes
>still of landscape of nothing
>close up of blinking lights
>characters wait at least 3 seconds between every sentence
>takes 5 seconds to reply
>Ichise goes around looking constipated, talking slowly
>'you are a very promising young man, join our organization'
>pacing? what's that?
>cinematography? here's a close up of some random machinery

Good ending though. 6/10
>>
>>135609490

The cinematography in Texhnolyze works on the principle of montage, whereby the 'random closeups" are designed to interact aesthetically and thematically with the surrounding images to build an ambiance.

IMO episode one is a masterpiece, and the series is a solid 9/10. Some pacing issues here and there but the plot was coherent and artful for the most part. Individual moments in the show are transcendent, including the ending and Yoshii and Onishi's deaths.

Also the OST is fantastic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=994OnlTR-oc
>>
>>135610074
>whereby the 'random closeups" are designed to interact aesthetically and thematically with the surrounding images to build an ambiance

You have a point there, but I don't think this method is very efficient. Mushishi and Shinsekai managed to surpass Texhnolyze in ambiance without having to do this.

Viewers are quite capable of gathering atmospheric cues from background art. Take Gin no Saji for example, it's always clear what time of the day it is from the shadows in the background and the overall tint, and how cold it is from the way the characters dress.
>>
>>135610818
>Mushishi and Shinsekai managed to surpass Texhnolyze
Speak for yourself, anon.
But I sure as shit never thought of Shin Sekai Yori as atmospheric.
>>
>>135610818

Yeah, montage is a stylistic than can become visually tiresome if overused. My threshold might just be higher for that sort of thing.

Mushishi establishes mood with a long takes and static tableaux. It's also a personal favorite of mine. An alternative to montage is mise en scene cinematography; if in montage the words of the visual sentence are separated by cuts, in mise en scene they are all stuck in the same image interacting with eachother.
>>
>>135611205

Good to see somebody who pays attention to these things. Which anime(s) are your favorite in terms of cinematography?

I like striking visuals, so personally I think Eva's the best.
>>
>>135611452

Mononoke is fantastic for its use of color and it's mimicry of Japanese stage play. It's very flat and symmetrical like a Wes Anderson film.

Eva is incredibly beatiful. Sequences like that famous elevator long take and Shinji killing Kaworu are peerless. End of Evangelion is a beast of a film.

Other stuff that fits the bill include Angel's Egg, Jin Roh, the Samurai X Ova's, Mind Game, Soultaker, and I could go on.
>>
>>135606827
> Hamasaki a best.
After MADHOUSE shakedown why did he went o shithole called Liden Films instead of Maruyama's new studio MAPPA? It doesn't make any sense. Liden Film cannot hold any decent production while MAPPA is looming with potential. and Maruyama was the one who was backing Hamasaki in MADHOUSE. It's simply insane and complete waste of Hamasaki's great skill and talent.
>>
File: ran.jpg (82 KB, 650x650) Image search: [Google]
ran.jpg
82 KB, 650x650
I liked it a lot. The hopeless and dark atmosphere is something I think it really did well.

I can totally see why some people hate it though, not something for everyone.
>>
I loved it, haven't found anything else that quite matched its atmosphere
>>
>>135603119
I enjoy a spectacle

>>135610074
Ozu used many similar techniques, especially later in his career for films like Tokyo Story.
>>
>>135612109
I don't know, that's something that still really irks me. I'm not sure why he decided to go to Liden--he seemed to go freelance and left White Fox after working on Steins;Gate, but it seems like he went with Ryousuke Nakamura; he directed/animated Aiura's ED, which was only released on the BD.

Strangely he was at Madhouse during or prior for that terrible Iron Man: Rise of Technovore thing (and he even worked with Kawajiri on that again!) so I don't know why he went back to Liden afterward.

Yeah it's a real shame. I remember he tweeted that he'd be working on a series for summer 2016 so I hope it's not at Liden. I'm guessing it's the Steins;Gate sequel or Despera, but that's probably a long shot.

Sorta unrelated but I want to see some of his key animation, especially the stuff he did prior to settling into a series director position.
>>
>>135612452
> I remember he tweeted that he'd be working on a series for summer 2016
Hell, I'm following him and this went past me. Guess I need to pay more attention. Anyway, it partly explains why the second season of Terra ForMars is being handled by new staff. Funny thing actually, since Hamasaki's input and rhythmic Murai Shuusei's soundtrack were the only things which made the awful production and mostly lazy animation bearable. The new staff is more boring but it seems like the new visual style could be easier for animators to work with than Hamasaki's strife for more realistic style.

> Despera
Also wanted Hamasaki to work on that. He and Oshii were automatic first choices for me.
>>
>>135612894
https://twitter.com/hamasakina/status/608263973926862849
This was the tweet in question, I just used the shitty machine translation to piece it together. I could very well be wrong though.

Not expecting much out of TF's new staff, though the new director storyboarded 3 episodes of Shigurui so he's actually worked with Hamasaki before, which is interesting. Then again, the second season only exists to hype up the live action movie, and Liden also needs TYO Animations' help this time around--it just screams another rushed production.
>>
File: texhnolyze_01_800.jpg (106 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
texhnolyze_01_800.jpg
106 KB, 800x600
Best girl.
>>
File: 1447271100408.jpg (95 KB, 600x903) Image search: [Google]
1447271100408.jpg
95 KB, 600x903
>>135603119
Where to get good quality download though??
>>
File: image.jpg (80 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
80 KB, 960x720
Is this the end of the wasted way

http://youtu.be/NKNv8QKLJeE
>>
>>135613941
Benisuzume...!
>>
>>135603119
One of a kind. Probably a masterpiece but I don't want to watch it ever again because it's too soul crushing.
>>
File: Yoshii.jpg (100 KB, 615x850) Image search: [Google]
Yoshii.jpg
100 KB, 615x850
One of my all time favorites, The takes a little to get into but god damn its so worth it.
>>
File: Eriko.png (544 KB, 1273x1065) Image search: [Google]
Eriko.png
544 KB, 1273x1065
>>135613799
My second favorite anime, next to LotGH.
Also Eriko a best!
>>
I loved it.
>>
When did you realize they were underground?

I really like this kind of story telling where they don't explain to you even the most basic things about the setting and you have to piece it together yourself.
>>
>>135617473
In the first fucking episode?
>>
>>135603119
Depressing for the sake of depressing.
Combined with thinly veiled technochauvinist scaremongering.

Basically it's the Terminator of japanese media.
>>
>>135606993
It's funny how his character can actually be summed up with this.
>>
>>135603119
We'll never get anything like it again. The best we get nowadays is shit on the level of Guilty Crown. It's truly unique.
>>
>>135603119
After an episode that waved its artwank in my face, an episode that seemed to consist of nothing but Ichise bleeding out left me feeling physically nauseated. So I dropped it like a hot brick.
>>
>>135603763
Same here. One of the most disappointing experiences of my life when it turned out to be the Godfather vs Revenge of the Cybermen.
>>
>>135603119
so uninteresting I skipped through it and didn't find anything interesting in it
>>135603184
>>135603198
oh nice I'm not the only one
>>
>>135618571
You've seen nothing yet.
>>
>>135618763
So I gathered, which is why I don't ever plan to un-drop it.
>>
>>135608150
>>135608369
I haven't watched the show (plan to), but when people say "pretentious" they usually mean "it's high-minded and I don't like it." Or MAYBE, to give them a little credit, sometimes they mean "I found it patronizing."

It's funny because I find that most anime is pretenious, as in the literal sense of the word, "it creates pretenses." A ton of anime tries to force drama that makes no sense and isn't dramatic, or force humor that isn't funny. It creates a PRETENSE of being sad or dramatic or epic or hilarious when it's actually not.
>>
>>135618927
"Pretentious" is shorter than "reeks of French art-house cinema c.1970"
>>
>>135618830
You've really not missed anything.
As I said this is depressing for the sake of depressing, it does not produce something to ponder, neither does it propose solutions for the problems it depicts.
And seeing how it's depicting fictional problems it can't even raise awareness.

It's just "art". Making something for the sake of making something. Even sol anime has a point typically.

>>135618927
This >>135619042

It's ART. High art. As in masturbatory "art".
>>
>>135619121
>neither does it propose solutions for the problems it depicts.
The most stupid argument for dismissing an anime I've ever heard.
>>
>>135619168
And you're just an idiot that takes a single line out of a paragraph and tries to build an argument out of context.
>>
>>135619208
The other parts of your post are full of stupid too.

What is "depressing for the sake of depressing" even supposed to mean? Is a comedy funny for the sake of being funny, and is that bad? It's a dystopia, my bird-brained shitposter, and that alone doesn't make it bad. Why does it have to ponder? It very much pondered to my like of dystopic looking scenery. Why does it have to raise awareness? Are you from tumblr? Why do you keep calling it "art"? Do you even know how art is defined? Your lack of understanding what makes this anime appealing and your conclusion that is "art" is so dumb and ridiculous, I don't even know what kind of argument you'd "allow".

I can laugh at you some more, if you really want. If you have anything of substance to say, we can actually have a discussion.
>>
When will you faggots ever understand that asking all of /a/ about one show will get all the trolls in one neat little show. The majority of anons likes this show a lot but the vocal minority just like to start shit.
>>
>>135619366
You're just proving you're an autist.
Yes dystopia is a good reason not to watch something. Most people don't want to watch dystopia.

As for the rest I'm just pointing out that unlike other depressing shows THIS BRINGS NOTHING TO THE FUCKING TABLE BESIDES BEING FUCKING DEPRESSING.

Grave of the fireflies is depressing for instance. More depressing than this by far. But it has worth BEYOND being depressing.

So when that anon said I dropped it and I said - you didn't miss anything - this is what I meant.
If you don't want to watch artwank depressing shit don't watch this. You're not missing anything.
>>
>>135619468
>Yes dystopia is a good reason not to watch something. Most people don't want to watch dystopia.
Another obviously non-nonsensical argument. You're a failure even as a troll. Your claim that it has nothing to offer besides "depressing stuff" is wrong too.
>>
>>135619371
I wish I could believe in your delusion.
>>
>>135619371
come on anon just look at the thread it looks split down the middle some people like it the some people find it boring
>>
>>135619371
>The majority of anons likes this show
>>
>>135619651
>anidb ratings
>>
>>135618678
>skipping
There's the problem.
>>
>>135619827
Not enough explosions.
>>
>>135619884
>>135619827
sure why not explosions are at least fun to look at
>>
>>135619913
Yeah, if you're 12-years-old.
>>
Think I feel asleep around episode 12, worth picking it up again?
>>
>>135619913
But there were explosions in Texhnolyze.
>>
>>135610818
>Shinsekai
>Surpass Texhnolyze in ambiance

What?
>>
>>135619956
no let's go watch something with cute dancing girls and a lot of explosions a show full of exploding dancing girls
>>
>>135619042
>>135619121

Oh, so you guys mean "it's heavily stylized and I don't like it" when you say "pretentious."
>>
The second half is way better than the first and I didn't find it all that depressing desu
>>
>>135619767
They certainly have the best system in calculating the rating. It's a very poor argument though.
>>
>>135620004
This^
>>135619956
I recommend you watch Triage X.
>>
>>135619468
>Grave of the fireflies is depressing for instance. More depressing than this by far. But it has worth BEYOND being depressing.
Did it propose a solution to nuclear war? No? Then it's just depressing for the sake of being depressing.
>>
>>135622901
It's based on the writer's life apparently.
You wouldn't call reality depressing for the sake of being depressing, would you?
>>
>>135603119
A bit too deep for anime/moe watchers imo.

Not bad for manga readers.
>>
>>135623647
So you read manga too?
I thought I was the only special person here.
>>
>>135624189
I read books (no pictures). I'm literally a god to you.
>>
>>135617680
Not really. He saw that mankind was dying as a result of doing fuck all and wanted to change the situation by being the best character in the show.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phj8BmY34oA

Mandatory for all those who watched the show.
>>
>>135623069

It is not based on the writers life. You have no clue what you are talking about.
>>
>>135628549
Grave of the Fireflies was written as the author's atonement for what happened to his sister.
>>
File: hopper.jpg (78 KB, 400x492) Image search: [Google]
hopper.jpg
78 KB, 400x492
>>
>>135603119
Loved the atmosphere. OST and scenery worked so well.
>>
>>135625225
Aren't you afraid of your friends in school finding out and thinking your gay?
Thread replies: 103
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.