[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What was the worlds initial reaction to Dragon Ball Z?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4
File: 6679-dragon-ball-otaku-debate.jpg (52 KB, 550x350) Image search: [Google]
6679-dragon-ball-otaku-debate.jpg
52 KB, 550x350
So I, like probably most of us in the West, discovered Dragon Ball as a franchise, with Dragon Ball Z.

But when I compare it to Dragon Ball... I have to say, they made some really drastic changes to the plot. Everyone became aliens and things like scouters with power levels were introduced.

I mean... if I compare it to things like Star Wars and how fans freaked out over metaclorians, I feel like DBZ should have been absolutely despised by original DB fans, yet to this day, it stands as one of the most iconic anime franchises (and no, I the fact you personally hate it doesn't change that fact).

So I am curious, were any of you around during the debut of DBZ and either were a DB or witnessed DB fans react to all the changes? was it a massive shitstorm? or did people embrace it all?
>>
No one is over the age of 25 here, so good luck finding an answer
>>
File: DB Kai censor bullshit.jpg (112 KB, 808x676) Image search: [Google]
DB Kai censor bullshit.jpg
112 KB, 808x676
>>135522907
i had no idea DBZ exist

i saw DB on TV, then i saw Bragon Ball Z , on the "pappers" (dont know what the englist word s for it)
soo i was thinking oh its just normal Dragon Ball again sweet i wanted to watch it again its amazing

can you imagine what it was for me when i saw its a brand new series? MIND BLOWN

ALSO : you need to compare DBZ to DB KAI,

original DB written differently full of jokes , but then the company decided to make a more abult approach and made DBZ like that :(
>>
I don't remember to much but DBZ was my childhood, I do remember some faggot in school trying to go super sayain 3, yells and strained so hard he shat himself. Made me wonder if I was watching the wrong anime.
>>
>>135522907
Niggas is retarded. Scouters were.made obsolete and the people using them made to look like fools the second they were introduced

Fags get hung up on the smallest shit

Youre all gay
>>
File: 1428978161314.jpg (427 KB, 665x1024) Image search: [Google]
1428978161314.jpg
427 KB, 665x1024
>>135522907
>So I am curious, were any of you around during the debut of DBZ and either were a DB or witnessed DB fans react to all the changes? was it a massive shitstorm? or did people embrace it all?

The only ones that can truly answer you are the 80's and 90's fags that were around buying bootleg VHS/Betamax tapes.

Them, and the ones that were literally watching along the Japanese fans (and counting the Japanese fans as well).

The was no "transition period" or such. The saiyan arc started right after Goku defeated Piccolo in the tournament in teh manga.

But it seemed that Toei did felt the changes in the plot/feel of the series and decided to green-lit the idea of Dragon Ball "Z" to let audience (and with this I'm talking about the anime-only audience) that things are going to get "different". Or at least to separate the period of Goku's childhood to Gohan's childhood. Or something like they were doing with Sailor Moon (R, S, Super S, etc).

Now, if you're talking about the transmission of the international dubs:

Most Americanfags here are not going to be very helpful, because not only they didn't have the manga back then, but they started to be exposed with the "Z" parts of the anime. Which meant that thy didn't have the first part of Dragon Ball until years later.

But I guess other International fans can explain a bit more since most of their countries got Dragon Ball first and Dragon Ball Z after it. As well as the manga.
>>
>>135523722
YAY FOR BEING HAPPY
>>
>>135522907
>like probably most of us in the West, discovered Dragon Ball as a franchise, with Dragon Ball Z.

Speak fot yourself, OP.

In my country we had Dragon Ball first and was already popular when "Z" came in.

However, I have to say that the popularity skyrocketed more during the Z period.

To me there wasn't enough difference except that things like "magic" and such that were very present at first were not used that much in favor of technology and sci-fi stuff. Personally, I didn't complain, but I welcomed the magic elements back during the Buu arc.
>>
I thought the story was over after the 23rd budokai. I was pretty hyped when i heard there was DBZ
>>
File: Dragon Ball Z (747).png (372 KB, 1024x1536) Image search: [Google]
Dragon Ball Z (747).png
372 KB, 1024x1536
Is there any series that jumped the shark as well as Dragon Ball did?
>>
>>135524480
I think you need to understand the concept of the word "most" as it doesn't mean "all"
>>
I wonder how Japanese fans took the reveal of Goku being an alien. I mean those fans just thought of Goku as a human with a tail all those years...then suddenly Goku has a backstory as part of some alien warrior race?

Must have been quite a shock.
>>
>>135522907

Not american but

>be teenager in the mid 90s
>sick of cartoons
>comics was going down the shitter at the time
>turn on tv and catch 2nd episode of DBZ
>horribly slow pacing
>still try to watch the following week because somehow already know that anime shows might show nudity and I was a horny teenager
>get hooked on the intense fights that followed and kept watching every week hoping for more fights
>decide to look for anime that showed actual nudity

tl;dr DBZ makes you look for something better to watch like hentai.
>>
>>135525325
That is exactly what I want to know!
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.