[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Thoughts on Hikaru No Go?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: index.jpg (13 KB, 216x234) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
13 KB, 216x234
Thoughts on Hikaru No Go?
>>
The manga ending was appropriate in reestablishing the themes of the story and stopping off at a fairly realistic point, but I would've appreciated it be a little more anime in making things interesting. I was personally a bit disappointed that Hikaru's last major game on screen wasn't against Akira.

For what it is the series as a whole is close to perfect and modern sports and game manga should take from it even more, but there're a lot of things I would've liked to have seen done differently in hindsight. I don't think it'd work as well in the modern environment with the slow pace.
>>
>>135341529
Loved it. It's one of my favorite sports anime/manga. Board-game yeah, but it plays like a regular sports series if you don't count the supernatural factor that is Sai.

>>135341529
>I was personally a bit disappointed that Hikaru's last major game on screen wasn't against Akira.
Same. I had hoped for another OVA down to road of them playing against each other but it never happened.
>>
I like how they made it easy to follow the games and get excited even though I still have no idea how to play go.
>>
I want to fuck akira and I am not even gay.
>>
Board games are SERIOUS BUSINESS.
>>
>>135341529
I really liked it right up until when Sai died. Then Hikaru became a mopey mess for about a half dozen episodes which made watching it a chore, and then it ended. Then I went to read the manga, and it had a better ending that was still really disappointing compared to what I wanted. Overall 6/10
>>
>>135341529
Perfect bait and switch manga.

One would have assumed that Sai is around the entire time, but he drops out completely almost halfway through. However, it managed to hold its own as a serious Go based manga due to the fact that the manga did an excellent job teaching the game to the reader.

So, while I was highly upset at the bait and switch, I appreciated what was left after due to my understanding and new found appreciation for the game. Don't get me wrong, it's definitely isn't everyone's cup of tea and it can be exceedingly slow at times, but it was fun and engaging enough to keep me reading until the end.
>>
>>135341529
To this day it's still my single favorite manga series. I really like it when you get to see a character age and mature over the course of many years, and Hikaru no Go was a great example of that.

On a side note, while I'm glad that Takeshi Obata has worked on a lot of other series since then, I've always been disappointed that Yumi Hotta never really came out with another big series after it.
>>
Akira snapping when Hikaru tried playing by himself was priceless. Autismal as fuck.
>>
>>135342165
4chan in a nutshell.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.