[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Impact from Evangelion
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4
File: 260px-26_C343_shinji-grin.jpg (21 KB, 260x195) Image search: [Google]
260px-26_C343_shinji-grin.jpg
21 KB, 260x195
Has watching EVA ever helped anyone on /a/? About a year ago I finally got around to watching the original series (+rebuilds afterwards) and it left such an effect on me. Wondering if Shinji's struggles helped or any other characters perhaps.
>>
I was pretty depressed when I watched it. I'd like to think it helped me, but you know, here I am still.
>>
>>135335853
listens to Bashar once: the anime
>>
>>135335853
Yeah, I don't know how it impacted me specifically, but I think I have a better understanding of who I am.

It helps me understand other people as well. I was suicidal and depressed because I felt so isolated, and I was constantly anxious about my appearance and how people thought about me despite being a (relatively) normal person. I no longer feel like that thanks partially to evangelion.

I wish I could express how I feel about Evangelion better, but I can't I just don't have the words.
>>
File: 1375080012179.jpg (160 KB, 422x422) Image search: [Google]
1375080012179.jpg
160 KB, 422x422
>>135336350
>>135335853 (OP)
Nope, only normalfags really "turn their lives around" because of something like Eva. Or those who settle for nonanswers and platitudes, avariciously gobbling up anything that seems intelligent to herald as the thing that saved them etc.

Take >>135336350 for example. A failed normalfag. Gives a fuck about normalfag expectations and high in vanity. Admits to being a normalfag.

Truth being OP, if you actually are depressed and not just having meme depression, I mean shit like overwhelming ennui, suicideal ideation for long periods of time, dysthymia etc, if you are genuinely experiencing those nothing will save you. Not be to a pessimist it's just there's a reason suicide rates drop suddenly past the age of 30. Here's a hint, people don't magically start turning their lives around.

You're fucked, I'm fucked, we're all fucked, it's just some are able to ignore it or trick themselves a bit better for longer periods of time. Depression and suicidal thoughts are perfectly natural responses to this current "reality" as it is. I wouldn't worry about trying to procure meaning, you're just going to continually disappoint yourself.
>>
When I was sixteen it really impacted me. I was a miserable sad person then and it was a good representation of the thoughts I had around that time. I can't really relate to it now the way I did back then, but I still enjoy it.
>>
If it really had helped you, you wouldn't be posting in this shithole.
Just follow this anon advice >>135336814 and kill yourself already.
>>
>>135335853
Look, Eva is a good Anime and all. But that's all it is, an Anime.
Pick up a decent book or some famed literature and text and Eva will look like shit on a wall.

If Eva's mediocre and cliche message actually impacted you to such an extent, you must be a really shallow person.
>>
>>135335853
just finished series, death/rebirth on tues and EoE on new years eve

watching love and pop right now :)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1evodfa5vXj-TQS5XYUi_rX3IYg8S7UKFHyWKJY6O6c0/edit#gid=0
>>
I stopped watching anime after I saw Eva, this is my first time on this board in about a year
>>
>>135338722
What is it with the notion that books are automatically superior to any other medium?

I get that, in contrast to any visual medium, books require more effort, since you'll be imagining the scene you read using your own brain and, thus exclude anyone who isn't able to do so. Plus it increases your vocabulary. But almost any book should be able to get translated into a movie/show to some extent, meaning an adaption should be able to present the same themes and messages as the source material, making it just as 'deep' or whatever you want to call it.

So how come people think that it's impossible not only for Anime, but also other shit to reach that kind of level?
>>
File: 1399077170395.jpg (404 KB, 1400x1112) Image search: [Google]
1399077170395.jpg
404 KB, 1400x1112
Watching it or seeing anything about it brings up bad memories/feelings that I want to forget

of all the fucking things to make me think about it it just had to be one of the most popular anime franchises of all time
>>
>>135335853
EvaGeeks.com has been watching and analyzing this piece of shit for over ten years now, and truth be told they seem no better off for it. In fact, endlessly obsessing over one man's attempt to self-medicate his own depression and self-loathing (based on what little fragments of boilerplate psychology and philosophy that managed to catch his interest at the time) has only made them even MORE miserable and autistic.
>>
Well, it made me think if a fucking 14 year emo kid was able to restore his faith in humanity instead of wishing for everything to come to an end; why can't I?
>>
>>135340932
Well, thanks to that I was finally able to understand what the fuck was going on in this series
Frankly, why did Anno had to make this shit so fucking confusing
Not to mention he explained most of the shit about the series in supplementary material (The video game)
>>
>>135335853
I think it was just a deconstruction of the macha genre with some 2deep elements and psychobabble
The evangelions not being actual robots but synthetic organisms is a main example of this
>>
File: 1448143982391.jpg (65 KB, 625x688) Image search: [Google]
1448143982391.jpg
65 KB, 625x688
>>135341325
Life isn't anime, anon. Nothing really interesting ever happens. Our lives are plotless and by and large insignificant to even ourselves. Practically nothing to strive for, by most all accounts

There's just nothing actually out there for us.
>>
>>135341352
Cuz he's not a very good writer, dum dum
>>
>>135340675
>So how come people think that it's impossible not only for Anime, but also other shit to reach that kind of level?
"I'm better than you, that's why."
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.