[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why don't we see mergers between anime studios like we see
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4
File: 1449539838691.png (286 KB, 520x533) Image search: [Google]
1449539838691.png
286 KB, 520x533
Why don't we see mergers between anime studios like we see in the western media market? Why are they content to stay small and limited?
>>
File: 1401332416059.gif (855 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
1401332416059.gif
855 KB, 500x281
>like we see in the western media market?

Do we look like /tv/?

You're going to have to name examples of this
>>
Well, for one, the whole industry works differently. I don't know a whole lot, but Japan is more dependent on merch/BD sales while US is more ad-based.

Outside of that, I think studios being more independent is a good thing. More creative freedom and less corporate bullshit. We don't need the anime industry becoming any less diverse than it is already.
>>
>>135281519

I wanna see stuff like Nichijou girls run into Yurayuri girls, or Yurayuri girls doing a field trip and walking around nichijou city (with nichijou charcs in background) I know I know, nichijou isn't popular, but man that would be fun.
>>
Because the studios aren't mainly the producers or property owners the same way that I think they are in the Western market, so them merging doesn't really accomplish anything that they couldn't do more efficiently by just sniping employees from each other.

>>135281913
I'm not /tv/ at all, but even I know Disney bought Pixar.
>>
File: 1407772156132.jpg (164 KB, 839x627) Image search: [Google]
1407772156132.jpg
164 KB, 839x627
>>135282289
>Yurayuri
YOU ARE DOING THIS ON PURPOSE AREN'T YOU YOU LITTLE SHIT
>>
Bandai own somes of studios, Sunrise for example.
>>
>>135282309
Although there are exceptions (Evangelion), the typical franchise has a short shelf-life during which it earns revenue. Purchasing another studio's name and IP gets you an asset that deprecates quickly, as their is no guarantee the talent itself will stay with you.

If anything, the studios that do exist periodically fission into new studios (Trigger, Khara, Mappa, etc), due to creative differences or financial pressures.

In contrast, Disney is used to making films that spin off revenue for decades afterwards (re-releases, the Princess series, etc). They needed to buy Pixar after their own studio collapsed in a heap of box-office flops, since Disney animation wasn't generating any new marketable assets. The only Japanese studio remotely similar in ability is Ghibli.
>>
>>135282289
too bad
>>
>>135282309
I thought Disney owned pixar for ages. I don't think I've ever heard of a non-disney pixar film.
>>
>>135282309
I never followed the western TV/film industry closely, and only sort of started caring again this year.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.