[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why are there almost never any hardcover options when it comes
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 8
File: 1397158243.png (122 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1397158243.png
122 KB, 250x250
Why are there almost never any hardcover options when it comes to manga?

Has anyone ever tried having part of their collection rebound as hardcover, was it worth it & how much did it cost?
>>
>>135141119
Never tried it.
But my dick exploded while I was holding the english version of JoJo part 1 the first time in my hands.
It is actually really sad that hardcover manga are so rare.
>>
Because people don't like to pay premium. People like to pay for as little as they can get away with, despite shitty translations or editing jobs. That's also why people predominantly read online illegally.
>>
Pointless.
>>
>>135141119
manga is too decompressed to pay a premium on individual volumes. Even shorter manga have dozens of them. Its cheap newsprint pulp
>>
manga is supposed to be printed on cheap paper and sold for 300-500 yen. can't sell shit for that cheap hardcover.
>>
>>135141119
because its retarded

they read manga on literal toilet paper
>>
>>135141119
Because it would only work if there's enough demand for a premium version. So it only makes sense for classics that resonate with both otaku and normies or for re-release of best selling manga.
>>
>>135143255
You wouldn't pay more for something like this?

https://youtu.be/_WG1Q5aVyuE?t=22
>>
>13x18cm
literally no point
>>
File: image.jpg (12 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
12 KB, 250x250
The only manga I've bought was gundam the origin
>>
>>135141119
Yes, I don't understand it either. I would gladly buy my favorite series in hardcover and not on the toilet paper. I saw special editions of Clamp's Tsubasa with a hardcover and on white thick paper, looks really good, don't know why they are not making more of it, especially of popular manga, I'm sure it would sell.
>>
>>135144162
They are making pages bigger for special editions.
>>
>>135141119
Rebinding a fucking manga sounds really, really stupid

Part of the problem is that most manga, especially more popular ones, have many volumes, at the very least say a dozen
A nicely bound hardcover collection of all of them is going to run hundreds of dollars for even an average-sized series.
>>
Bride Stories
Wandering Son
Gundam the Origin
Vinland Saga

All have hardcovers, do you guys even buy manga?
>>
>>135141119
I'm pretty certain I saw some, don't remember what though.
>>
Shits mega expensive to publish.

The English release of Vinland saga is Hardcover and Kodansha have come out and said they cant afford it anymore unless people start pre-ordering.

I hope Viz do hardcovers of JoJo part 3 even though they already have them release in paperback.
>>
>>135141119
Because hardcore is not very comfortable to read.
>>
I have Vinland Saga in hard cover sitting on my shelf.

I don't know of any manga in fancy hard cover though.
>>
Novels typically get published first in hardcover because the profit margin is higher. It costs less than $10 to put 2 cardboard flaps over the pages. If I had to guess why publishers don't sell hardcovers first as industry standard business practice it's probably because it's always serialized in magazines so nobody is forced to choose between reading it now or waiting 6 months to read it cheaply.
>>
File: nausicaa001.jpg (199 KB, 1204x1070) Image search: [Google]
nausicaa001.jpg
199 KB, 1204x1070
Only hardcover manga in Poland I can think of is Otoyomegatari.

Started importing Gundam Origin since there is no way it would be published in my glorious shithole. Another english hardcover manga in my possesion is Nausicaa.
>>
>>135144956
The hardcovers we're getting now are from Jojonium, which includes Part 3. I wouldn't be surprised if we get it.
>>
There's no real demand for one to offset the production costs. I own a few hardcover manga like Gogo Monster, A Drunken Dream, Ayako, or Red Coloured Elegy, but I still don't think that any of them were really worth the premium, unless it's one of the special edition volumes that combine 3 or more standard tankobons and has 600 or more pages.
>>
>>135144956
Vinland Saga cover price is how many $?
>>
I have a hardcover version of Uzumaki.

By the way /a/, which official translators are shit? I've started collecting manga, and I don't want to buy from publishers that try too hard to westernize manga (ie Viz). So far I've found that Kodansha/Dark Horse is pretty good, any others I should look out for?
>>
>>135146229
20, I think.
>>
File: nausicaa[1].jpg (288 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
nausicaa[1].jpg
288 KB, 600x450
Nausicaa is the best manga release I've ever seen. Each book is the size of a dictionary.
>>
>>135147819
Fuuuuuuck me. That looks nice. And posters!
>>
>>135143177
But by that logic, wouldn't the people who actually buy manga be the ones willing to spend more to support their favorite series and artists? Seems a bit silly that there isn't even the option ever. Closest thing I have is that Cardcaptor Sakura box set.
>>
>>135147819
I'm frustrated the printed copies look so nice yet there's scanlations in fucking gif 680 pixels wide.
>>
File: DSC_7993.jpg (693 KB, 2304x1536) Image search: [Google]
DSC_7993.jpg
693 KB, 2304x1536
>>135147853

It's beautiful. And less than $40 usd on sale.

Excuse the pic I took for /k/
>>
>>135147961
Christmas here I come!
>>
>>135147959

So buy the printed copy. You won't regret it.
>>
File: DSC_7997.jpg (703 KB, 2304x1536) Image search: [Google]
DSC_7997.jpg
703 KB, 2304x1536
The art is amazing even in B&W. It's like Berserk for young people.
>>
>>135141119
JoJofag here.

All you paperbackfags can eat my dick.
>>
>>135147995
Seriously considering it since it's such a reasonable deal.
>>
i got full colour english hard cover of highschool of the dead
>>
>>135141119
I would only buy a hard cover if it was a handful of volumes at the most, preferably one big book. It's already expensive enough as it is.
>>
File: IMG_20151224_032449 copy.jpg (486 KB, 1233x1064) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151224_032449 copy.jpg
486 KB, 1233x1064
The only thing that could be better is paper quality.
>>
>>135147819
looks great anon
>>
File: lead_960.jpg (61 KB, 960x669) Image search: [Google]
lead_960.jpg
61 KB, 960x669
>NausicaƤ of the Valley of the Wind Deluxe Edition
>Printed in China
>>
I've got a couple volumes hardcover from high school. I think it was because they knew the weab kids were borderline special and would drool on it.
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.