[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why did the rebuilds suck so badly?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 8
File: why.jpg (10 KB, 350x144) Image search: [Google]
why.jpg
10 KB, 350x144
Why did the rebuilds suck so badly?
>>
File: 1367345768283.jpg (261 KB, 500x687) Image search: [Google]
1367345768283.jpg
261 KB, 500x687
1.11 was fine

2.22 was where things started to veer off. The initial Mari scene in the American NERV base was fine, but her jacking all of Asuka and Kaji's scenes was gay and stupid. Writing Toji out was awful but I can respect the decision since they wanted to cut down on the number of characters taking spotlight. Beastmode wasn't super terrible and set Mari up for having some special knowledge of the Evas which made sense given that she was implied to be a spy. The ending was pretty badass, if not particularly Evangeliony, but them veering off've potentially been okay

3.33 is where everything went to shit and they wasted literally everything they had built up. Mari just starts working for Misato for no evident reason, le curse of Eva, Evas becoming fucking gay cat tiger things, it was just all dumb.

My opinion is factual and none can dispute it without being completely wrong, so there.
>>
>>135090212
1.11 was ok, i have just 1 small detail complaint, but it was pretty much like the original with slight foreshadowing

2.22 Is thematically more like Gurren Lagann, it's fun, a very good ACTION movie on it's own, but as a part of Eva it just isn't that good. Every character bar Shinji and maybe Rei are just shadows of their former selves. None of their true personality is shown. Asuka just plays with the puppet once, and all of Misato's story was told to Shinji, by Kaji, in a 30 sec flashback.
The plot does some twists just to differ from the original and be more like TTGL, but it makes little sense

3.33 and now we're here. Ironically it's the movie that's closest to the original in the tone and themes. BUT, and it's a big BUT.
It does everything so poorly. BIGGER, BETTER, FLASHIER. But none of that works, it's just jarring. It shoves action at you in the beginning with no context.
About the plot. I'll just straight out say it. It LIES to Shinji, and by proxy to the viewer, it only makes sense that it's another universe/loop where 2.0 Shinji got stuck. By some evidence it could even be the original timeline, after some of them come back from tang
It's a gamble, 3.0 in itself is shit. It really is shit. It relies on 4.0 to make everything right. But who knows what will we get, i have no idea how could Anno fit all that's needed into a movie and still have time for it to continue.
>>
>>135090212
Anno was married
>>
>>135090212
Anno must have put a lot of his heart and soul into NGE back then due to his personal problems. I don't know what state he's in now but rebuild has been very shallow and lacking. Maybe he just doesn't have interest in eva anymore or doesn't feel inspiration.
>>
The anons in this thread pretty much covered it.

See you all at 4.0 premiere.
>>
1.11 was mostly retread of the original, for the most part copying scene for scene, but also injecting some rather large and ground-shaking changes when it comes to the background of the characters and the setting.
It shuffled scenes around, or omitted them entirely.

All in all, it was an all right movie-adaptation of the first quarter of the Evangelion TV-series.

2.22 is where things start to veer off like >>135090489 suggests. Overall and despite the changes it introduced, it remains Rebuild at it's peak concerning plot character, realism and believability, as a natural continuation of the previous movie. It's action is in tone with the original Evangelion, where the time after Ramiel is mostly dedicated to battling Angels and doing development of the characters in a "natural" habitat.

3.33 however, is where everything goes wrong. Not only are the characters built in the previous two movies abandoned, turned into plot devices, pandering devices or pointlessly downgraded, but the story and plot is also nonsensical. Not in the complex yet believable way the original (or any good story) was, but in an entirely wanton and nonsensical manner that only serves the pandering agendas of the writers.

It is more accurate to say "why did 3.33 suck so badly" rather than ask the same for the Rebuilds. In the basket of eggs named Rebuild, the only rotten egg we've uncovered is the third egg. That might warrant a return to the store, but the other eggs are more than edible.
>>
File: rebuild-weg.png (871 KB, 1008x725) Image search: [Google]
rebuild-weg.png
871 KB, 1008x725
Jo looked superficially like a remake of the first six episodes but with a budget, and some surprising omissions, but then started to veer into something else

Ha was just another 6th Child fanfic

Q lost the plot completely, and looked more like a Nadia/Space Battleship Yamato crossover.
>>
>>135096220
That image will never stop being retarded.
>>
Why do the Star Wars prequels suck so badly?

Same reason. The artistic value is lost and it becomes a franchise.
>>
Cash cows basically
>>
File: 1450630008932.jpg (191 KB, 581x961) Image search: [Google]
1450630008932.jpg
191 KB, 581x961
>>135096280
Not even true.

The Star Wars prequels suck because they've got poor dialogue, writing and the focus the movie choses is awfully off.

The Star Wars prequels as an story, i.e the story of how a boy became Darth Vader is honest, but not well told. Not only that, but there were introduced too many changes in the prequel that contradicted it's "sequel", which was the original.

Compared to the Rebuild series, the Star Wars prequels features far more artistry on both the technical and conceptual level. As far as "technical" goes, I refer to cinema technique and technology behind making film. As far as conceptual elements go, I mean the myriad of characters, settings, worlds, factions, designs and more that went into creating the prequels.

Make no mistake, people did pour their hearts into creating something original and honestly different, although those creations were not guided as well as the originals were either by luck or competence.

For instance, when the prequels choose to include politics, it never creates a believable enough framework for it to exist, and it's a plot device that when under scrutiny does not hold together. Now including politics is not a poor idea and can create for excellent storytelling, but what made it fall through was the execution not the idea.

An actual loss of artistic value can be seen in TFA, which despite being a glib facsimile of the original, is more entertaining at least than APM.
>>
File: 1450630039209.jpg (211 KB, 578x997) Image search: [Google]
1450630039209.jpg
211 KB, 578x997
>>135096523
Rebuild of course, is an even glibber facsimile of the original for the as far as the first movie is concerned, with arbitrary changes and cut content.

Imagine if TFA (or APM for that matter) was a literal copy of ANH, and they introduced a change which spoke thus: "Luke knows Darth Vader is his father", which would echo 1.11 which reveals that Misato knew Lilith was in the basement and her name was Lilith, and thought nothing of it.

The only shimmering light in Rebuild is therefore the changes existing in and set in motion by 2.22, the only movie to actually attempt originality while also remaining constructive.

Since then, with 3.0, we went from constructive to reductive, where 3.33 is the most perverse, egoistic and substanceless path the Rebuild series could take, as it killed any attempt at creating something in favor of merely pandering to otaku with destructive and self-destructive tendencies.

That's an irredeemable sin, whereas the prequel's failing is merely not reaching a certain point of quality or seriousness, elements which a story as big as "Anakin becomes Darth Vader" both deserved and required to work.

tl;dr Lucas > Anno
>>
>>135090212
They stopped caring
>>
>>135090212
1.11 was a replica of the tv show.
2.22 had shinji going badass.
3.33 is forced deep the movie.
>>
>>135096523
>the story of how a boy became Darth Vader
That would still suck if the movies made sense, the scripts weren't drafts, and they weren't directed from an office chair. Darth Vader was the coolest motherfucker but he wasn't ever important enough for a three film origin arc.
>>
>>135097155
Darth Vader is one of the most important characters in the Star Wars Saga.

It is established that he has a past, where he was seduced by the dark side of the force, and moreover he's known to among others, Obi-Wan Kenobi.

If one were to make a prequel, it's natural - and to claim "it'd suck" is an ignorant hypothetical that doesn't deserve even half the reply I just gave you.
>>
File: a0000310.jpg (398 KB, 580x580) Image search: [Google]
a0000310.jpg
398 KB, 580x580
They aren't. I'm hype for Asuka to kill Evil Rei next movie.
>>
>>135097612
>being so mad that Rei is better than Asuka that you're hype for a fantasy fanwank adventure where asuka kills rei

No wonder asuka fans like re-take.
>>
>>135090212
I think it succeed in its aim, which was the same as EoE :shit on every fan-expectation and destroy the world in spectacular fashion.

I dont think there is a need for 4.0, but I'll always count on Anno to bank on it whenever he feels he needs the money or has time to kill.
>>
>>135097726
Don't be mad for supporting the villain.
>>
>>135097543
He's important to the trilogy because our perspective is Luke's, not so much to the universe itself. The fallen messiah angle was crazy dumb.
>>
>>135097751
EoE was the intended conclusion for Evangelion. Everything in that film makes sense, is consistent with the TV series, and it is conclusive in it's own right. It does not exist solely to fuck with the audience, though I won't say it doesn't do that to some extent.
This "Anno made Evangelion to troll otaku" meme is getting old.
>>
>>135097898
The latter is my point, the angle and focus was not well done.

But that Darth Vader was someone who fell, was indeed a large part of the story, and that Luke should not repeat his mistakes.
>>
>>135097771
You're the villain in this story though.

>>135097751
Nonsense, EoE never had such aims and even if it did, did not accomplish them at all.

Don't parrot lies, please.
>>
>>135097726
Asukafags are almost as bad as Kaworufags in this regard.
>>
It just misses a lot of the characterization that made the series good and wasting time on a shitty useless character like Mari doesn't help either.
At least it's good for delicious Reifag tears
>>
>>135097990
Or his mistakes could be left implied like in those good movies where he's on a respirator and all his limbs are prosthetic instead of delineating point by point what the audience already knows he did wrong.
>>
>>135098941
Your alternative is "not making it", which isn't a real alternative at the stage where we've decided to make one.
>>
>>135090212
can't really give a proper comment on this series since the last one hasn't even come out yet. Obviously 3.33 is the lowest point for shinji before he inevitably resets the world in the 4th one.

I enjoyed 1 and 2.
>>
File: fags in action.png (317 KB, 600x564) Image search: [Google]
fags in action.png
317 KB, 600x564
>>135097612
I love those derp faces everyone has going on in the background
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.