[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Best anime 2016. Might as well stop discussing everything else.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 9
File: kimi-no-na-wa..jpg (92 KB, 452x640) Image search: [Google]
kimi-no-na-wa..jpg
92 KB, 452x640
Best anime 2016. Might as well stop discussing everything else.
>>
Makoto Shinkai started being original, but I think his stuff is getting more and more repetitive.

It's basically wallpapers plus melodrama at this point.
>>
Araki will save anime in 2016. Sorry anon
>>
What is this anime about?
>>
>>134903989
He's going through the same material over and over again from different angles to try to break through and reach the idea behind the white screen. It's common for some artists.

I just hope he'll manages to do it before he dies
>>
>>134903943
>best anime
>Shinkai
Nice joke, buddy.
>>
>>134903992
>implying wallpapers = animu
>>
>>134904007
After a meteorite shower, a boy from a big city and a girl from a rural temple start seeing dreams about each other's lives
>>
>>134903943
will have to see.

5cm/s is still his best to date and I'm even a bit tired of his art style by now. feels like there's way too much glare.
>>
>>134904098
>5cm
>best
What are you smoking? Shinkai stuffs are based horrible shows, and 5cm is the king of them.
>>
>>134904027
I don't know, a lot of stuff just seems repetitive at this point. Most of his work is just a repetition of the whole 'distant love' idea first developed in Voices of a Distant Star.

Hoshi O Ou Kodomo was a step in the right direction, though.
>>
File: 1432174429522.png (156 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
1432174429522.png
156 KB, 640x360
>>134904124
You just have a shit taste
>>
While I look forward seeing his movies since they are all very visually impressive. Every movie he has done has a 'style over substance' vibe to it. It's like he had scenes in his head before he had a plot to connect them. 5cm/s remains my favorite because of how vague and open ended the plot is.
>>
Speaking of anime movies, there was one I saw trailers for last year that looked like a picturesque Makoto Shinkai movie if he could draw faces. There were boats and some Black haired glasses girl. I remember seagulls, and it wasn't his shoe fetish movie. Anyone happen to know what that is?
>>
>>134904267
>vague and open ended
wha...? It's not open-ended at all. Fate triumphs at the end and gods laugh at the pointless struggles of protagonist. It's a greek tragedy.
>>
>>134904267
Not shittier than yours.
>>
>>134904385
Is there a connection between the short stories? I always thought it was three different stages at life with a new set of characters for each stage.

You also replied to the wrong guy.
>>
File: 1449741525245.jpg (510 KB, 1500x2202) Image search: [Google]
1449741525245.jpg
510 KB, 1500x2202
>>134903943
that's shopped
posting the original pic
>>
>Best anime 2016 is gonna be another boring, melodramatic "romance" film
Thanks Shinkai.
>>
>>134904675
Threadly reminder blah blah blah
>>
>>134904602
The male MC was the same in all three stories.
>>
>>134904602
Male MC is the same person. Female MC appears in 3rd story completely separate from male MC. She also appears in his imagination during the rocket launch in the 2nd story.
>>
Shinkai makes the same anime since his first anime
>>
>>134904824
>>134905119
Oh, I see. Anyway what I wanted to say was that the closer to a slideshow his movies are- the better they become. Because that's the reason people watch his movies.
So having a movie with a simple plot is great for him. And I think 5cm/s utilized it best.

Outside of /a/, I can only think of /tv/ examples. Namely how great John Wick and Mad Max are because they don't force a stupid plot but kept it simple and let the action speak for itself.
>>
>>134904675
Every fking thread. Just make the abridge out of it afterwards.
>>
File: 1450318987972.jpg (33 KB, 736x414) Image search: [Google]
1450318987972.jpg
33 KB, 736x414
>tfw the Christmas Cake got a legitimately happy ending

Shinkai probably fell for a cake himself when he was younger.
>>
>>134905153
It's not that the movies are the slideshow. This is a misconception caused by the misattribution of agency. Let me elaborate.

Agency is an ability of a character to affect his future. Characters do this by action (or inaction) growing from their own choice. In modern works this 'agency' is critical for the protagonist. Surrendering agency could be worse than dying - that's why mind control (Death Note), involuntary mutation (Madoka Magica), physical power override (NGE) are so common and so terrifying.

In the 1st chapter of 5cm protagonists show a surprising amount of agency - his struggle to reach her and her resolve to wait for him is what necessary to achieve the snow-tree finale. Then in the 2nd chapter the male protagonist removes the struggle from the physical world and into his head - and effectively loses the agency, surrenders to the fate. Fate is realistically unkind to him - and even when he realizes it (in form of running away from his domestic problems into his work) - he still refuses to fight. This final refusal to exhibit agency is showcased in the last scene with the train and the contrast with the female protagonist - she kept her agency and he didn't, she moved on and he is stuck, she walks away from the railroad crossing and he is doomed to stand there, forever waiting (in his mind, if not physically).

On a somewhat unrelated note, the reason most /a/ denizens do not like 5cm is simple: while he is the protagonist in The Movie, he is no longer a protagonist in Akari's life. This is a narcissistic injury (she no longer even cares if he exists) that is transferred via the empathy link to the viewpoint character to the viewer.
>>
>>134903943
Why did you post a movie from 2007
>>
File: hoshi no koe.jpg (16 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hoshi no koe.jpg
16 KB, 480x360
>>134905773
Because it's a movie from 2002.
You're so funny anon
>>
File: image.jpg (94 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
94 KB, 1280x720
>make beautiful-looking movie full of subtle and believable character interactions
>shit all over it with melodramatic climactic scene straight out of a soap opera

why Makoto
>>
File: remember the music.jpg (75 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
remember the music.jpg
75 KB, 1280x720
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgQLn5ppf6ro

Just give me more of that, and I'm down.
>>
>>134904385
Fate can eat a dick, so can gods.
>>
>>134903943
kill la hill is best anime
>>
I mostly care that we get enough lens flare in this movie.
>>
>>134905870
But anon, if that didn't happen, we wouldn't have the wet cake that we got in the end (something that Shinkai practically admits in his commentary).
>>
>>134906093
not in 5cm
and not in real life
>>
Can't fucking wait to be honest.
>>
Sorry man but Makoto Shinkai is entry level garbage so I have to hate his guts, we must save /a/ from casuals and this thread is not helping.

Please think about /a/ next time, thank you.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.