[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Legend of the Galactic Heroes
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 20
File: logh108a.jpg (61 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
logh108a.jpg
61 KB, 640x480
The Galactic Empire or the Free Planets Alliance. Which side's story and characters did you prefer and why?
>>
>>134872547
Free Planets Alliance, because democracy.
>>
Best faction: reinardo-sama acolytes
Best character: yang, no contest
The only one who was always right: oberstein
The worst character: kircheis, what a stupid dog
Best death: Alexandre " toast to democracy" Bewcock
Best side story (gaiden?): all sucked, maybe el facil
Best arc: FPA fall
>>
File: 1403620238905.jpg (38 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1403620238905.jpg
38 KB, 640x480
SIEG KAISER
>>
File: 1444372523425.jpg (127 KB, 305x442) Image search: [Google]
1444372523425.jpg
127 KB, 305x442
>>134872547
Galactic Empire, obviously. In the end all that court stuff was just more interesting than some corrupt and stagnant politicians.

Reinhard had a goal and did everything in his power to reach it. No one else seemed as determined as him.

Now Yang was pretty cool in the sense that he could deal with every hand he got, but he did not seem ambitious at all.

The whole Mittermeyer-Reuental-Kircheis-Musel friendship was pretty cool. Also Oberstein's transfer into Reinhard's camp had him at his most vulnerable point.
>>
Although I definitely liked the Reich side as well, I actually thought the FPA side's story was more interesting. The reason for this is that the process of nation-building or political reform by a hero/charismatic leader is something you see fairly commonly in both Japanese Cartoons and fiction as a whole, while a situation where you have a hero doing his best to prop up a corrupt and dying democracy because he believes in its values is comparatively unique.

As for my favorite character, it would be Reuenthal. A hero whose talents are actually counterbalanced by serious defects of character are my favorite when they are done correctly, and Wakamoto is just icing on the cake.
>>
>>134877155
Yang is cute, and is driven by values of freedom and democracy. But he doesn't excuse the FPA for it's problems. Too bad he had to go.
>>
>>134872871
Democracy is just another form of tyranny you fool.
>>
File: image.jpg (168 KB, 1385x1014) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
168 KB, 1385x1014
Empire, because:
>>
The Empire had a more interesting cast of characters, but the alliance balanced it out with just how interesting Yang is. Julian era Republic is boring as hell. Also, the side story of the 730 mafia is such a good side story.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (58 KB, 852x470) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
58 KB, 852x470
>>134877155
Though Reuenthal did choose his own fate, it's no less tragic the way he got taken out. Had he laid himself in front of Reinhard, he probably would have been forgiven for a second time, but he knew deep down Oberstein and the Minister would have destroyed him. Ironic, considering had he waited a few years, he would have been in the perfect position to assume power after Reinhard.

I love the story because it always presents you with the 'what if' history questions. Had Reunthal not rebelled, would he have seized power from Reinhards son and established his own dynasty? Had Yang lived, would the Isherlon Republic lasted as an independent faction?
>>
>>134872547
FPA all the way. I like the juxtaposition of the republic falling into corruption while Yang is too dedicated to his principles to stop it.
>>
Galactic Empire was infinitely more interesting from episode 1 to the end.
>>
FPA had less good characters, but they were better/higher quality.

Empire had more good characters, but they were lower in quality.

Also, Reinharto a shit compared to Yang.
>>
The great thing about this anime is that there is no one clear superior side. The side that you prefer just depends on your personal tastes. If I had to pick one though I would choose the Empire mostly because of pic related.
>>
>>134872547
The federation have three of my favourite characters, Yang, Attenborough and Shenpkoffé
In the Empire, my favourite are Mittemiyer and Von Reuental.
Guess I prefer the Federation.
>>
>>134881176
I think Reuenthal's refusal to seek amnesty a second time had more to do with his ambition and pride than worrying about the likes of Lang and Oberstein. Reuenthal had literally everything at the time of his rebellion; he was the foremost vassal of the Reich, he had the respect of even his enemies, and he had wiped away the stain of his illegitimate birth through his diligence and ability.

That's why he rebelled--because he had everything he wanted and things were going too well. He was bored. Unlike Mittermeyer, who would be perfectly happy having a long, peaceful life with his loving wife and making the transition from Fleet Admiral to politician, Reuenthal had self-destructive tendencies and was ill at ease about having hit a glass ceiling in his career. As such, when he had a chance to try and test himself against the one man who was his equal or better, he took it. The political machinations of Lang were a catalyst rather than the actual cause of Reuenthal's rebellion.
>>
>>134872547
FPA

It was less affected, people were living better lives on average.
>>
Free Planets, because revolutionary democracy is the best kind of democracy, and if I were a part of it, I'd be dead before it could turn into the joke of a republic the US has now
also because I sympathize and identify with yang
>>
>>134882864
Are you kidding? FPA's middle class lives were about as good as the lives of our lower classes, right now.

It was a decadent society with rampant polygamy, whorey women and basic goods were so expensive that they had to be rationed to the common folk after Amlitzer.

Empire's commonfolk had much better lives after Reinhard happened.
>>
File: Punished yang.png (132 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
Punished yang.png
132 KB, 400x400
Who /yang/ here?
>>
>>134883266
What we've seen of the Free Planets looked perfectly fine, while you had almost feudal looking conditions on some Imperial planets, with all the wealth accumulating around the aristocracy.
>>
>>134872547
I like the Reich side more, but Yang is by far my favourite character, not even a contest.
>>
>>134883508
That's the thing with the Reich though, they had these really interesting officers, while the FPA's admirals/generals were not nearly as fleshed out.

I'd love to see more of Attenborough, or some of the other admirals.
>>
>>134883645
>while the FPA's admirals/generals were not nearly as fleshed out

I figured that was reflective of the differing ideology they represented. Whereas with the Empire you had Great Men shaping the face of the era into their own image in a revolutionary and extralegal fashion, with the FPA you had civil servants who were subordinate to the idea of representative government and civilian control of the military. It's also why the Schenkopp, the one FPA sub-commander who didn't ascribe to its ideology, was also the most colorful of them by far.
>>
>>134872547

empire

yang is a cucck and demo is just as corrupt as old empire

best char kirch obv
>>
>>134872547
Free Planets Alliance because I can't into German culture.
>>
I liked Yang and his irregulars the most. Schenkopp and Poplan we bros. Bucock and the Murai posse were cool too.
>>
>>134883390
>What we've seen of the Free Planets looked perfectly fine,
Nope, in second season it's quite clear that they're living in poverty an decadence, just like before Rudolph the Reindeer saved the universe and established his dynasty.
>>
>>134884076
>yang is a cucck
Did someone take Frederick's virginity before Yang put it in?

Was it Schwarzkopf or Boris?
>>
>>134880943
>730 mafia
What is that? Did i miss something or is it in one of the OVA series I havnt watched yet?
>>
>>134887411
>or is it in one of the OVA series I havnt watched yet?
That's it.
>>
>>134884499
Empire because I can't into Democracy
>>
I like a lot of Alliance characters, the only ones I like in the Empire are Mittermeyer and Ruenthal. But the Empire under Reinhard was superior.
>>
>>134872547
People actually watch this shitty Code Geass rip off?
>>
>>134880806
Ironic, seeing as the Lohengramm dynasty is an actual tyranny in the classical sense
>>
>>134889342
Usually people add a small amount of believability to their bait anon.
>>
Galactic Empire had 100x better characters. This isn't even up for debate.
>>
Fezzan under Sliverberche. The Empire under Friedrich. The Alliance under Rebello.

Search your heart, it's true.
>>
>>134889682
Ehh, it has 3 characters that are much more fleshed out than the rest of the cast, and they only get that focus in the last season. Like it's really a distinct gap between the two, buuut you're not painting an accurate picture
>>
>>134889835
I can hardly even remember the FPA characters. Yang, obviously. Foppery and Whim guy. Julian.

Some black guy and some old guy.

But the Empires were much more memorable.
>>
>>134889909
Well that's on you. Look Mittermeyer, Reuental, Oberstein. That's the freebies, hands down better characters. Mecklinger, Bittenfeld, Kesler, Lutz, Wahlen, Eisenech and the rest? What makes them better than Yang's motley crew?
And how the fuck do you forget Poplan, Konev, Schenkopf and Cazerne? They're at least the memorable section
>>
>>134890105
They have more diverse and distinct personalities. That's really it.

Yang's motley crew felt more realistic, I suppose. But that's the entire point. Reinhard with his power was able to gather the best of the best in his entire nation.

Yang has no real power, or at least chooses not to use it. The people in power had to rise through the ranks. They're just average people. By design, Yang's crew was basically a foil to Reinhard's.
>>
>>134890245
Really, What's distinct between Kesler, Wahlen, Lutz, and Mecklinger, personality wise? Bittenfeld stands out, Eisenech doesn't fucking talk. That's it, that's his character.

I'm not even saying Yang fleet is better, i just have problems with how you explain your point of view
>>
>>134890412
>Eisenech doesn't fucking talk
Which is more distinct/unique than the entire FPA cast. This makes him more memorable alone.
>>
>>134890498
>Which is more distinct/unique than the entire FPA cast.
Not the same guy, but you can't seriously believe this. Even Poplan is more of a character and 90% of his lines are about screwing women.
>>
Imperial bros broing it up.

Though Yang making the entire FPA high command look like fucking morons was fun.
>>
>>134890578
The one line Eisenach has stands out more than all of Poplan's.
>>
File: welp.gif (1 MB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
welp.gif
1 MB, 500x375
>>134890498
Pfffffft. Unique sure, but fuck off if you think that makes him better. It's one basic trait. Seriously, if you honestly believe that, i'm done here, there's no actual discussion with you. I'll say this for the future, you have to think more about why you like things so that you don't sound fucking rediculous
>>
File: 1377218801318.png (199 KB, 750x300) Image search: [Google]
1377218801318.png
199 KB, 750x300
I agree that the Imperial side is more interesting, Yang's crew is just a bunch of normal people.
>>
File: rcyvubiomp,.jpg (8 KB, 285x177) Image search: [Google]
rcyvubiomp,.jpg
8 KB, 285x177
>>134890730
I watched this show 20 years ago, and the characters I still remember most are from the Empire. Nothing stood out from the Alliance aside from Yang.

I really should rewatch it though. Maybe once the new season of it comes out.
>>
>>134890865
That gif i posted is a good scene from the FPA shenanigans. It's great. The thing the Yang fleet has over the Lohengramm crew is character interactions, the characters are jokey, having fun. Like an actual covnersation with friends. The Lohengramm crew are too serious for the most part. That's why everyone appreciates Bittenfeld. He stands out for being an outrageous fuckwit amongst a crowd of the straights.
>>
File: 1366943448858.jpg (336 KB, 449x1023) Image search: [Google]
1366943448858.jpg
336 KB, 449x1023
>>134891174
This is a great point. The FPA side jokes around a lot and have excellent dialogue.
>>
>>134889342
Sarcasm aside, that's almost as bad as the dummies who think Code Geass is copying LOGH when they're totally different.
>>
>>134891990
Exactly, CG is superior.
>>
File: 1447262735152.jpg (191 KB, 640x3750) Image search: [Google]
1447262735152.jpg
191 KB, 640x3750
>>134892720
>>
File: Bittenfeld tradition.jpg (509 KB, 960x2160) Image search: [Google]
Bittenfeld tradition.jpg
509 KB, 960x2160
>>134891174
>implying Bittenfeld isn't the best Teitoku Gunjin
>>
>>134893068
Haha.
>>
Which LotGH character is most like me? Intelligent, nihilistic and with a wicked sense of humor?
>>
>>134895041
Oberstein
>>
>>134893086
Oberstein reigns supreme obviously
>>
>>134890412
I don't know what you're on about m8, they all stood out to me at least to some extent. Especially Wahlen and Mecklinger out of the ones you listed.
>>
>>134895554
Alright, Mecklinger i'll give you that, he is the most "voice of reason" of them all. But how is Wahlen different from Lutz and Kesler
>>
>>134893086
Bittenfield is the biggest autist, even bigger than Oberstein.
>>
>>134895889
I like his attitude. I mean, he wakes up missing an arm after getting attacked by that cultist and just shrugs it off like it's no big deal. He seems pretty mellow most of the time. But he takes his work seriously too, like in that scene where Bittenfeld's troops are raising a fuss on Heinessen after Oberstein puts him on house arrest. Wahlen just rolls up right in the middle of a bunch of guys about to start shit and literally just stares them all down to keep them from doing anything. That was just cool. Wahlen's great.

Admittedly, Lutz didn't make much of an impression on me until that business at Uruvasi, but you can't deny that makes him hard to forget. Kesler mostly is just a guy who does his job well so I'll give you that. Personally, I didn't have any trouble distinguishing him from the rest of the admirals though.
>>
>>134896503
maybe i phrased that poorly, i have nothing against any admirals (Well Oberstein is a cunt but besides the point). Like yes Wahlen gets put into different situations from Lutz, but if each were in the others shoes, it seems the show would be the exact same, the characters would act the exact same.
>>
>>134896575
No, I understood what you meant. I listed those examples to demonstrate that he has a distinct personality, not just to prove that he does things within the narrative. I do not agree that everything would go exactly the same if you exchanged him with Lutz.
>>
File: 1443968639325.jpg (57 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
1443968639325.jpg
57 KB, 960x720
>>134896575
>Well Oberstein is a cunt
Filthy Goldenbaum pigs should leave
>>
>>134896679
See that's the thing, Kesler is competent just like every Lohengramm admiral. Lutz is so loyal he'd sacrifice himself for his Kaiser, just like every Lohengramm admiral. Hell even Lennenkampf can do that.

Look i'm not here to badmouth Imperials, my original argument was against a guy saying the Imperials are 100x better than the Yang fleet. I just went down the path of detracting from Lohengramm wank rather than building up Yang's fleet.

So i'm not trying to get anyone to admit that the Imperial admirals are indistinct, i'm just saying they're no more distinct than yang's officers, which i doubt is what you mean to argue
>>
>>134872547
Until the end of S3, I almost always wished the Empire scenes would hurry up so we could get more FPA.
After no return the Alliance got too small to really care about.

Bittenfeld was worth drudging through the Empire fillers.
>>
>>134896956
Oberstein's a cunt, there's no heroic sacrifices he can do to change that. Cuntishness isn't a moral standpoint or anything like that, it's the way your interact with others. I'm not saying He's a cunt because of Westerland, i'm saying he's a cunt who consistently does earns hatred towards himself, and to make it even worse he ignores it.
>>
>>134897078
>Kesler is competent just like every Lohengramm admiral.
Of course they're competent, that's the point. Reinhard specifically gathered talented and competent people to him.
>Lutz is so loyal he'd sacrifice himself for his Kaiser, just like every Lohengramm admiral.
I don't think they all necessarily would, and even if you're right that still has little to do with them being unique in terms personality. A lot of the FPA guys would probably sacrifice themselves for Yang too (and a couple do, in fact), but that doesn't mean they're all the same.
>i'm just saying they're no more distinct than yang's officers, which i doubt is what you mean to argue
I don't have any problem with this, though. I like the FPA characters a lot too and I think they also have memorable and distinct personalities.
>>
File: 1426484974815.jpg (86 KB, 640x950) Image search: [Google]
1426484974815.jpg
86 KB, 640x950
>>134897195
>FPA
>Interesting
It was practically all carried by Schenkopp who had criminally little time with some side dish of Yang banter with Yang-with-lighter-hair and that faggy kid
>>
>>134897365
You're the one linked Lutz with Uravasi, and that's all you linked him with. So i took the only thing you can take from Uravasi and said it. I'm not saying Lutz is the same as everyone else because he's loyal like everyone else, i'm saying being loyal isn't a distinct feature in this series so it doesn't make any sense to bring it up
>>
File: 1420690653292.png (1 MB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
1420690653292.png
1 MB, 1366x768
>>134897365
>I don't have any problem with this though
Yeah that's what i mean, why are we arguing, the original post you took umbridge with was meant for a certain deluded anon, and my arguments should only be taken in the context of a comparison between the two fleets
>>
>>134897502
Well, to be honest Lutz is probably the least notable of Reinhard's crew to me apart from, say, Kempf and Steinmetz, who don't really have a lot going on beyond jobbing to Yang. I think probably there's more you can get out of Uruvasi than just "Lutz is loyal", but I'll grant you that most of what comes to mind could probably apply to a lot of other characters in the series too. The scene still made it difficult for me to forget or confuse him with anybody else though, but maybe that was more due to it being a good fucking scene in general than anything special on Lutz's part.

>>134897690
Well, I just didn't agree that those characters you listed were indistinct in terms of personality. I wasn't really trying to address your initial point.
>>
File: Reinhard.jpg (151 KB, 1427x970) Image search: [Google]
Reinhard.jpg
151 KB, 1427x970
Literally just finished the series. Man, what a ride.

Reinhard is, by far, the best character of the series. I don't know why Yang has so much fans, even if he is likable, he is too one-dimensional compared to most Empire characters.
Also,
>all these FPA plebs
I bet you are liberal too.
>>
>>134898002
I should probably clear the air a bit more, i distinctly know who the admirals are, i mean there might be one or two from Yang's boss rush before the battle of Vermillion that i might confuse, but i know them all. And i might confuse Lutz and Wahlen because they look sorta similar, but i wouldn't confuse the names to the deeds. The way i was arguing implied otherwise because the guy i was arguing with said shit like this>>134889909
>>
SIEG KAISER REINHARDT
SIEG NEUE REICH
>>
>>134898212
Alright, fair enough. That guy was definitely being an idiot, so I can't fault you for responding somewhat in kind. Sorry for jumping on you.
>>
Both sides were good, but the edge goes to the Empire, because everyone loves a rise to power story. The more minor the character, the greater the death, which I found pretty neat.
>>
>>134898169
>those compression artifacts
>>
>>134872547
Empire
Prussia pro
>>
File: vlcsnap-2014-12-23-18h20m37s49.png (406 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-2014-12-23-18h20m37s49.png
406 KB, 640x480
>>134898374
You can only fight stupidity with heavy hands, but no worries, sorry for the misunderstanding
>>
>>134898455
I dunno about that interpretation of death's, you make it sound like Reuental cleaned the ships toilets and Lennenkampf was the reincarnation of Kircheis
>>
File: 1405786287387.jpg (520 KB, 480x3489) Image search: [Google]
1405786287387.jpg
520 KB, 480x3489
>>134872547
They're both great, but Empire gets the edge. Mostly because of these two.
>>
>>134898695

Perhaps I'm remembering wrong, but there were a few badass deaths. Like the guy who died sitting down.
>>
>>134899220
Yeah there were some great deaths, but i wouldn't follow some kinda "the lesser the character the greater the death" rule
Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 20

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.