[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: overrated garbage I just finished Monster and I thought
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 11
File: le every thread face.jpg (46 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
le every thread face.jpg
46 KB, 200x200
ITT: overrated garbage
I just finished Monster and I thought it was pretty good, but the ending didn't live up to the hype, and the story as we finally know it is underwhelming considering how large in scale the 'monster's actions are.
>>
Kaiji. If I wanted to see some pussy bitch cry all day, I'd watch Lifetime.
Darker than Black?More like Browner than SHIT
Soul Eater? More like Shit Eater. Worse than Naruto.
Code Geass, if I wanted to watch homosexuals pilot robots, I would watch Gundam Wing.
Kanon? More like Clannad season 2.
Strike Witches, If i wanted to watch fanservice without plot, i would watch hentai.
Higurashi, shitty horror bullshit, a failed attempt of Chaos Head.
Akagi. If I wanted to see old people sitting around a table I'd visit my grandma more often.
Spice and Wolf? If I wanted to watch a documentary about economy with a fanservice character thrown in, I wouldn't because it'd be SHIT.
One Outs, if I wanted to watch a bunch of gay people running around I would've watched Prince of Tennis.
GTO? More like GTFO. Shitty shounen is shitty.
The Tatami Galaxy. Endless Eight for hipster faggots.
Haibane Renmei, a boring show about angels fucking around. I liked it better when it was called Evangelion.
Hidamari Sketch, if I wanted to watch a bunch of little girls doing nothing, I'd go and watch my local kindergarden.
5 Centimeters per Second, thats how slow the plot would move, if there were any.
Haruhi. Watch it in any order and it's still shit.
Mushishi?More like MushiSHIT.
>>
Kino no Tabi? If I wanted to watch a dyke on a motorcycle, I'd go visit San Francisco instead.
Aria, a show about nothing.
FLCL, boring, unfunny, LOL SO RANDUM XD shit.
Welcome to the NHK, if I wanted to watch a loser, I would stare at the mirror.
Planetes. As empty as space.
Legend of the Gay Lactating Homosexuals.
Berserk, shitty anime and even worse manga.
Azumanga Daioh, shitty ripoff of Lucky Star.
Gurren Lagann, not so good.
RahXephon? If I wanted to watch a shitty Eureka Seven clone, I'd watch Evangelion
Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei? One look and I said sayonara to this piece of shit.
Nanoha is just Bleach or Naruto but with more pedo pandering.
>>
>>134785690
I enjoyed the series overall, but I'm still disappointed that Tenma was robbed of having to make the final choice in regards to weighing one life against another.
>>
>>134785788
That's the thing though. Tenma never had the choice to begin with

He never had a choice on who to save. He always had to. It was his code as a doctor. It's why he didn't assassinate him either of the times he had the chance.
>>
>>134785886
Yeah, but then someone else shows up at the last second and does the job for him, undermining that a kid would have been murdered because Tenma was refusing to take action.

Though it admittedly would have bothered me less if it was actually a major character like Nina who finally got to step up and take the final shot instead of the random drunk who was only introduced in the end.
>>
>>134786160
nah man Nina didn't deserve it. It was either going to be Tenma, or some fluke, and Tenma getting to keep his 'not a murderer' badge of honour was probably worth it at least as far as 'authors vision' is concerned
>>
File: Goku blocks One Punch.gif (1 MB, 460x259) Image search: [Google]
Goku blocks One Punch.gif
1 MB, 460x259
>>134785690
One-Joke Man.
>>
>>134785690
The ending absolutely lives up to the hype, you simply didn't understand Johan.

>>134785788
He had a choice. He proved to Johan that people can be good, even if the right choice, letting Johan die, was the right one. But the kicker is that letting Johan live made him defeat fate.
>>
>>134786600
then explain to me
>>
>>134786160
>random drunk
You don't understand and perhaps you never will. The fact that it was a random drunk was entirely the point. Johan is playing a game of dare with the rest of the world, essentially playing that rooftop game but on a much larger scale so that he can see the beauty in life. He does this by seeking people to waste their life trying to kill him, then corners them and gets them to commit suicide or he kills them himself, whichever is the funniest.
After he found purpose in finding Bonaparta, Johan decided to end his life by tempting fate in the opposite way. He would corner himself after killing Bonaparta (by basically doing nothing) and force Tenma to kill him. Just like he plans with people to kill themselves, Johan planned everything so that he would die. He tempted fate to somehow save him. And it worked. Something outside of Johan's calculation saved him.

Nina wouldn't have shot him, Tenma was forced to shoot. Everyone else was out of commission. It had to be a random person. And out of everything Johan planned, the father of the boy he took as hostage was the one who shot him. A random person saved him.
The ending is very well done but only if you understand why Johan is doing what he's doing.
>>
>>134786667
Sure, what do you need explaining? The ending? Why Johan does whatever he does? Why Tenma decided to save Johan? What happened at the end with Johan? Is he dead, did he run away? Was Johan actually evil or did watching his mother do an impossible choice make him evil?

I can answer all of those. Which do you want answered? Johan is by far the most interesting character and gets a small amount of focus in the series. He's also Urasawa's most well written character, he even says so himself in an interview, and it's worth examining.
>>
>>134786600
>He proved to Johan that people can be good
Did he? I mean, someone else still had to shoot him. It's not like anyone was ever able to talk him down, it was just a matter of who had to be the one to finally pull the trigger.

And in the end Johan either ended up in a coma or simply escaped again.
>>
>>134786779
> you simply didn't understand Johan.
explain Johan
>>
>>134786725
That's fine, but I still had issues with how Tenma's arc ended. It's never really emphasized in the end that he would have let Johan kill the child due to his rigid moral code.

And it's not like Tenma had never shot someone to save himself. Roberto only survived because he got lucky.
>>
ITT: bitching about Monster.
>>
>>134786833
Jesus, where to begin?

Johan is a broken psychopath who, at a young age, knew he was better than everyone and was bored. He killed off his foster parents because he wanted to see the world and because he was bored. When Nina found him, he wanted to die. After he survived, he found a new meaning to his life, by fucking others and getting them to try and kill him with the same finger pointing forehead he did with Nina. He explains to children how to see the world more beautifully by walking on the edge of the rooftop with someone else, if you survive, you see the world in a new way, even if you survive the fall.
Johan did this because he had no purpose in life. He attained everything at a young age, wealth, women, power, money, knowledge, and only saw the crude nature of human kind. This is a good contrast to Tenma and why Johan likes him so much.
Johan purposefully creates mystery around himself and likes to fuck people just for the sake of it. Like that message he gave Tenma ''help, help, the monster inside of me is growing''. He just wants people to try and figure out who he is, not because he cares, but just for laughs. Narratively, the reader/viewer thinks there's a reason why Johan is evil but as the story continues, it's always shown that it isn't the case. 511 was turned because of him. He wasn't at the Rose Mansion, Nina was. And, at the end, he lies to Tenma that viewing his mother do an impossible choice made him evil. It's just the lie he tells people to create more mystery. Tenma accepted Johan for who he was, but with that revelation, it fucks Tenma up and Johan enjoys it.

Whenever Johan speaks to a kid or wears a wig, he's showing his true self. There's an interesting dialogue Johan has with a kid before sending him off to the Red Light District. Johan talks and asks the kid about his place in the universe and how he has none. That's simply Johan talking to himself, how he himself has no place.
>>
File: 48f.png (423 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
48f.png
423 KB, 600x600
>>134787076
>Nothin personell kid: The Character

That is some INTELLIGENT, NIHILISTIC, WITH A WICKET SENSE OF HUMOR tier shit right there.
>>
File: Bait_Plane.png (181 KB, 625x626) Image search: [Google]
Bait_Plane.png
181 KB, 625x626
>>134785707
>>
Texhnolyze Pretending to be mature sci fi adventure set in a dystopia. In reality it's fodder for edgelords.

Cowboy Bebop Westerns are shit and so are westerns set in space. Ridiculous characters showing their grey morality like a dead zombie dick.

One Piece For dumb teenagers only. Stupid and week Luffy gets a magic fruit which allows him to win every argument by yelling louder.
His crew is a sad mirror of human friendships covered by hypocrisy and misery.
>>
File: oh well...jpg (45 KB, 554x439) Image search: [Google]
oh well...jpg
45 KB, 554x439
>>134787076
It seems that you admire that effeminate man very much. I'm not surprised.
>>
>>134787076
Also, getting back his memories changed Johan a lot.
Previously, after being saved by Tenma and starting his quest to fuck people's life, Johan had never cared about anything. Remembering Bonaparta had given Johan a new meaning and purpose, though he still thought he had none. When he became the secretary of the billionaire, he wanted to continue the cat and mouse chat with Tenma. However, after finding out about his past, he just wanted everything to be destroyed (burning the library rather than killing the billionare and framing Tenma).

Johan also never cares about his sister. A lot of characters think he does but he really never did. He had always planned to kill her. The Nazi think he can be controlled by kidnapping her but it's all a facade. Johan purposefully killed her foster parents to do the same shit he did with Tenma, getting her to waste her life trying to find him. He intended to keep doing the cat and mouse chase but decided to end it when he was about to commit the perfect suicide. That's why he let himself be caught so that he could 'reveal' to Nina that she was the one in the Rose Mansion, making her kill herself. She got saved but whatever, he still intended on letting her die.

>>134787136
Yeah, but he does it so fucking well. I didn't write this shit, but I love it.

>>134786981
That's up to you to decide whether or not Tenma would have saved the kid. I'm sure Tenma would have done it but it doesn't matter. Fate deemed that Tenma would not shoot and that Johan would be saved.

I always view the ending as Johan putting a gun to his head and the gun jamming.
>>
>>134787076
Interesting analysis, but I think whether or not his mother's choice to give up his sister genuinely effected him is subjective.

Who's to say that the random chance of either being saved or abandoned based on luck wasn't one of the factors that helped paint Johan's worldview?
>>
>>134785690
I was seriously let down with this show. I was so hoping for some kind of mindfuck split personality shit.
>>
>>134787297
I do agree that it's subjective but the fact that the story repeatedly misleads you to think that *this* thing is what truly fucked him up over and over makes me suspicious. I really just see it as Johan completely fucking Tenma and then disappearing. His last fuck you.

>>134787257
Angels are said to be of both sex. So him having feminine qualities is intentional.
>>
>>134787411
You really love to talk about your husbando, what a cute little devil~
>>
File: johan.png (120 KB, 418x315) Image search: [Google]
johan.png
120 KB, 418x315
>>134787437
He's truly perfect.
>>
File: Sad-Mini-Rika.jpg (100 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Sad-Mini-Rika.jpg
100 KB, 1280x720
>>134787491
More perfect than...?
>>
I'm just joking of course~
>>
File: Double Nipah~.jpg (144 KB, 1136x640) Image search: [Google]
Double Nipah~.jpg
144 KB, 1136x640
>>134787529
Rika is my only true love. She cannot be replaced. I'm like those criminals who admire him in awe but cannot reach his height. I don't love Johan the same way I love Rika. She makes me have optimism, while Johan makes me look cynically at the world.
>>
>>134787318
It had layers of it, but it was fairly grounded.

One of my favorite scenes is where one of the inmates is being interviewed about Johan right before he calmly commits suicide with a pen.
>>
>>134787653
Yeah, I know, Limp dick.
>>
File: 13445776485.png (2 MB, 2160x2160) Image search: [Google]
13445776485.png
2 MB, 2160x2160
>>134787657
That was hardcore. It builds so much mystery at how insane and powerful Johan truly is.

>>134787711
You're very cruel to me today. Did you watch the movie?
>>
>>134787764
You know, my friend, you have a very sharp tongue. You should be more careful and think a little before speaking to a girl.
No, I fell asleep, but I have it on my computer. Don't worry, I going to see it.
>>
File: nge_wallpaper_by_rei_kibou.jpg (851 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
nge_wallpaper_by_rei_kibou.jpg
851 KB, 1024x768
>>134785690

You're retarded anon. Monster was a masterpiece. See my pic for a real piece of garbage.
>>
>>134785733
>Gurren Lagann
>not so good
really that's the worst insult you could give to one of the most overrated anime on that list.
>>
File: Anon.png (202 KB, 801x425) Image search: [Google]
Anon.png
202 KB, 801x425
>>134786259
>>
anything 3x3 core
>>
>>134785733
>Azumanga
>2002
>lucky star
>2008

What?
>>
>>134787899
Yeah, I agree. Evangelion is really overrated.
>>
>>134787858
I just type and say what's on my mind. My tongue is looser when drunk, but meh.
>>
>>134788011
I understand.
>>
>>134787899
This
>>
>>134788054
Your tongue is much sharper than my own, to be fair. Your insults hit deep.
>>
>>134788146
Yes, but I always made you know that's just a game. I never wanted to hurt you. There's a reason for why I stopped, you know? When you told me how sad it had been your life, I couldn't do it anymore. But you're always honest, and that's hurt even more than my childish pranks.
>>
Oh well, nevermind, I'm not even angry.
>>
>>134788251
Pity hurts but it's nice to know you do care.

>>134788289
Good, you're slightly cuter when you're not angry.
>>
>>134785690
I watched Monster halfway through. Then one day before starting my binge watching, i asked myself, "what the fuck am i watching?"
I didn't get an answer to that so i dropped it
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.