[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/a/ did we ever update this?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3
File: recommend.jpg (3 MB, 3380x3622) Image search: [Google]
recommend.jpg
3 MB, 3380x3622
/a/ did we ever update this?
>>
>>134739999
I don't have an answer, but you certainly got checked.
>>
>>134739999
The entire fucking purpose of that chart is to keep you from making /r/ threads on /a/, and you come here to make an /r/ thread about the chart?
>>
>>134740081
>disrepecting quads
>not even know what constitutes an /r/ thread

get fucked shitter
>>
>>134740117
>a thread to ask for recommendation charts is not an /r/ thread
>>
>>134739999
No.
It takes at least a decade for people to decide whether or not most things are worth remembering so there wouldn't have been much to add.
Also checked.
>>
>>134740227
I never asked for the chart. I ask if got updated. I just want to know if it exists so then I don't waste my time looking for the update
>>
>>134740230
Thank you
>>
>>134739999
We tried to update the manga charts a while ago (maybe 2 years) since they are really out of date. It turned out to be too much effort.
>>
>>134740481
Honestly I'm fucking amazed that /a/ even managed to produce the OP. leave it to reddit
>>
>>134741196
2008 was the time the flood was no longer containable, when everyone blamed the tf2 crowd for showing up in droves and there was no hope of ever returning to the old paces of discussions. The /a/nons of the time banded together to make a chart to shut up the new, its amazing enough that its still being referred to when entries like Alita Last Order and Mysterious Girlfriend X now no longer have as much favor.

The beauty of the charts isn't that its a recommendation chart, the beauty is that back then we actually had a community to pull this off. /a/ could have made this at any time pre 2008, but the internet is so populated with people more interested in saying 'I,' 'me,' or trollbaiting to get noticed on an individual basis that its impossible to ever make this again, it just evolved into 3x3
>>
>>134740481
Maybe you should consider updating it considering a lot of these manga have probably already ended and their ending was so shit it devalued them from being good.

Not to mention all the new manga and anime that have come out since then that are actually considered good.
>>
>>134741668
I would if I had the time. My main gripe with it is that a bunch of the manga on there had their scanlations dropped. It doesn't really make sense to have a series on a recommendation list that you can't finish. We had our planned rec list on a google doc. I can look for it.
>>
File: latest[1].jpg (99 KB, 600x914) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].jpg
99 KB, 600x914
>>134741759
Consider it. If anything, add a list for what's currently getting scanned/translated and what's not, to make it easier. Because in the end, it would still be nice to see updates to a lot of these charts.

Like this one to start with.
>>
File: latest[1].jpg (360 KB, 618x1451) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].jpg
360 KB, 618x1451
>>134741759
And especially this one.
>>
>>134741904
>gto
>dragonball
>tolerable

how the fuck are these not god tier?
>>
>>134741759
Why was Golgo even on there in the first place?
>>
>>134739999
The categories in that image are way too even for me to have faith in the judgement of its creators. Also, is Tytania on there in the "try these" section to give people a sense of what a truly terrible show is like?
>>
>>134739999
Outside of the terrible manga section this doesn't really need to be changed.
It'd probably be good to streamline it a bit so it's not a million different charts with overlap but that's a lot of effort for little reward.
>>
>>134742267
>terrible manga section
What would you change? There's some blatantly bad series, but not that many of them. Unless you're one of those anti-hipsters.
>>
>>134743592
There's a decent amount, and a lot of the manga series on there don't have complete scanlations.
>>
>>134743592
It's just really outdated.
Some of those series turned to shit and a bunch of them are no longer being supported or scanned.
>>
>>134743651
Name them, please.

>don't have complete scanlations
Evidently. Lots of them have licensed scans, or failing that you can buy them. Failing that, they're in other languages which the author was probably knowledgeable of.
>>
>>134743725
Just put an asterisk next to the those ones*
*an asterisk indicates that the quality of the series deteriorates after a certain point or that latter issues are not available translated
>>
>>134743725
>turned to shit
Gantz is poster child for that. Yes, I detest the idea of recommending that to someone, but on the other hand, someone who doesn't know of Gantz isn't really someone you want to pay attention to. A lot of people dropped it at some point or another, but that doesn't mean it doesn't have its place.
>>
>>134743761
>>134743843
>Quads
I liked it better when /a/ was dubs-free outside of Naruto.
>>
>>134739999
We haven't made a chart in a long time. I wish we would, but I think /a/ hates recommendations too much now to even make a recommendation deterrent.
>>
>>134743728
>Name them, please.
A lot of it boils down to opinions but off a quick glance the ones I don't think should be on there, Aqua Knight, Blue Heaven, C.A.T., Doubt, Strain, Jiraishin, Glaucos. There are other series that are popular with /a/ that I don't like which I won't go into. In other cases it's not the author's best work (Nijigahara Holograph, Benkei in New York, Liar Game). I haven't read everything on the list since a large portion of them don't interest me.

>Evidently. Lots of them have licensed scans, or failing that you can buy them. Failing that, they're in other languages which the author was probably knowledgeable of.
Certainly true (Saturn Apartments and Children of the Sea come to mind), but I wouldn't expect someone just getting into the medium to immediately start investing money in physical copies. Especially when so many good series are available online.
>>
>>134739999
Are you /a/?
>>
>>134744050
Both Saturn Apartments and Children of the Sea have scans. I have them both on my hard drive. In fact, both have rips from more than one source.

>Aqua Knight
No opinion, haven't read it. But Gunnm used to be a thing, and people are still pissed that he continued with LO instead of Aqua Knight. That was a sizable population.

>Blue Heaven
Heavily agreed.

>C.A.T.
I actually liked CAT, but hiatus kills everything.

>Doubt
Decent entry-level to be honest.

Haven't read Strain or Jiraishin.

>Glaucos
Pseudo-science up the ass, enjoyable but definitely personal taste which is unfortunate is the flavour of a lot of these charts.

Benkei in New York is actually one of my favourite Taniguchi. But I've probably read a lot more of his than anyone who isn't Italian or French. Dragon Head is one of the ones I think shouldn't be on there. First bit is decent then just gets worse. Shark Skin Man and Peach Hip Girl is a much more amusing series.

>since a large portion of them don't interest me
This is exactly why you have a chart. To try other things that people have at least vaguely vetted. It's certainly how I started to explore a number of other genres.
>>
>>134744255
Oh right, did you mean they come to mind as ones whose rips exist. Never mind that statement then.
>>
>>134744255
>Both Saturn Apartments and Children of the Sea have scans. I have them both on my hard drive. In fact, both have rips from more than one source.
I'll have to look again then. Last time I checked (granted it's been at least 2 years) they only had a few volumes scanned due to being licensed.

>No opinion, haven't read it. But Gunnm used to be a thing, and people are still pissed that he continued with LO instead of Aqua Knight. That was a sizable population.
Never heard this, could explain why I felt it was short and unfinished.

>Decent entry-level to be honest.
I guess so. I just think if the fat is really going to trimmed from this chart it should go.

>Pseudo-science up the ass, enjoyable but definitely personal taste which is unfortunate is the flavour of a lot of these charts.
It does depend on personal taste. I don't hate it or anything, but I picked it up as a diving series and it wasn't as good as other ones I read.

>Benkei in New York is actually one of my favourite Taniguchi.
I guess it's not really fair for me to pick on it. I do like it, but I just prefer his other stuff a bit more.
>>
>>134744255
>This is exactly why you have a chart. To try other things that people have at least vaguely vetted. It's certainly how I started to explore a number of other genres.
I always thought of these charts as a sort of guide to intro level stuff. I guess if I ever really ran out of series I'd use this to explore other genres and such.
>>
>>134744510
You've got an entire 1/4 of a chart dedicated to gekiga (Garo/Ax or similar) alone. That's not really what I'd call entry level, even for people only reading licensed things.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.