[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
For a country that is the only one on earth to have been nuked
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 7
File: 487301.jpg (889 KB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
487301.jpg
889 KB, 1280x1024
For a country that is the only one on earth to have been nuked in war, there seems to be an odd lack of anime about nuclear war or its aftermath. America produces shittons of material warning about the dangers of nuclear apocalypse and the only nukes that went off there were tests.
>>
>>134702090
fallout series is also superbly popular over there for a western style video game.
>>
Read more manga. Especially ones that win or have won awards from years ago. There's mushrooms galore.
>>
>>134702090
Turns out America consumed so much propaganda about how the Soviets were going to nuke us to keep the military-industrial complex going. Who knew?
>>
File: considerthefollowing.jpg (48 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
considerthefollowing.jpg
48 KB, 600x600
Nuclear war is taboo nowadays and Shinzo Abe is trying to limit people's knowledge about the effects of destructive warfare since he is remilitarizing Japan.

Think about it: Drifting Classroom. Akira and Fist of the North Star came at Japan's most peaceful years of the Showa era. With Japan trying to ramp up propaganda against North Korea, South Korea, Russia and China, media that portrays the effects of destructive warfare goes against the very aspects of Japan's propaganda.
>>
>>134702374
So how does Abe stop manga from being published?
>>
>>134702218
But the Soviets were going to nuke us. They spent the détente years preparing for another war and were so paranoid about Reagan being the new Hitler they almost launched in response to a NATO exercise.
>>
>>134702090
Fist of the North Star
>>
>>134702374
I just finished Goshiki no Fune which started in 2013, and it won awards and it had jumping timelines to avoid an atomic bomb. Maybe you are right. It's a lot of apologist or sympathetic empathy-triggering series these days, but not actually a lot of actual destruction.
>>
>>134702090
There are a lot of works about it, but it's usually symbolism representing it rather than an actual bomb.
>>
>>134702374
Japan is never going to forget about nukes while the hibakusha and their families are still around.
>>
>>134702554

Self-censorship since the anime market is literally filled with 2ch netuyo right-wingers who jerk off to their favourite anime character in JSDF gear.

Majority of post-apocalyptic tales are moralistic tales about progress in a wasteland-filled dump and a reminder of destructive war can be towards everything. HnK was literally that.

That goes against the very message of "DESTROY OUR ENEMIES AND SACRIFICE OURSELVES FOR NIPPON BANZAI!!" propaganda.
>>
>>134702659
>Self-censorship
So it's not Abe doing it, then. It's just a modern generation that never lived through WW2, and unlike America never got involved in any other conflicts throughout the Cold War.
>>
>>134702374
those atomic bombing victims are still around though
>>
>>134702090
Well I don't see all that many cartoons about planes flying into towers either.
>>
>>134702838

And yet, no one cares about them or mentions them in this current propaganda war.

Hiroshima is also known as the most anti-war city in Japan. The survivors of the A-bomb are the biggest opponents of Abe's security bill:

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/World-News/2015/08/07/Hiroshima-survivors-denounce-Shinzo-Abes-security-bills/8871438959720/
>>
File: 1396652611704.jpg (180 KB, 666x666) Image search: [Google]
1396652611704.jpg
180 KB, 666x666
>>134702739
(Not anon you're responding to)

Obviously it's not Abe solely telling people not to do it, but his rhetoric and leadership has indirectly led to this.

However the main reason I think we see a lack nuclear war in media now, in both the west and east, is because the cold war is over. The nuclear apocalypse was a much more real possibility to people in the 80s for obvious historical reasons. Out of that era we had things like Terminator, Mad Max, The Day After, Threads, Planet of the Apes, etc. Japan also had stuff like that, like Hokuto no Ken and Akira.

I think Fallout 4 is the lone media franchise that deals with post-nuclear war Earth. In the 00s and 10s we've been more obsessed with an apocalypse brought on by zombies, by micro-organisms, etc.
>>
>>134702972
Nowadays it's all about terrorism.
>>
>>134702090
Your new is showing. There are tons of series circlejerking about the horrors of nuclear weapons/energy. Watch more than 5 anime before making stupid posts like these.
>>
>>134702374
Explain Hito Hitori Futari, then.
>>
>>134703399
In what way exactly?
>>
>>134703522
It's the most political recent manga I can think of, and the entire thing is basically just a middle finger to Abe's nuclear stances.
>>
>>134703036
It's not a new thing for Japan.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tokyo_subway_sarin_attack
>>
>>134703036
And corporate greed.

Or terrorism funded by corporate greed.

Less commonly is it terrorism funded by a nation state.
>>
>>134703571
Right, with all the drinking contaminated water. I don't really know much about official stances but I know the series would've gotten a get-out-jail-free card because of all the Earthquake (and reactor?) bullshit that was happening while it was being serialized.
>>
>>134702838
They're coming to the end of their natural lifespans soon surely.
>>
>>134702972
>>134703036
You'd think we'd be flooded with stuff alluding too environmental disasters these days.
>>
>>134703036
Well, the new Planet of the Apes and Terminator movies are about the dangers of big corporations.
New James Bond films are no longer about nukes and now about surveillance and terrorism.
Stuff is written by the times it's written in.
>>
>>134702134
>>134702972
Fallout (at least modern Fallout) seems to be celebrating or at least trivializing rather than warning against nukes, with nonsense like Liberty Prime and the Fat Man.
>>
Season two when?
>>
I know it has probably nothing to do with anything, but could someone explain to me what this "pluthermal" program is and how it came about?
It seems kind fishy to me that out of all the country heavily relaying in atomic power for their energetic needs, japan was the first one to learn how to recycle nuclear waste.
And even more so that I haven't heard anything about it apart of this comic page, considering that treehuggers spent decades whining about those very wastes.

Of course that's most likely just me being overly paranoid as always, but whatever.
>>
>>134707260
>and the Fat Man.

Found the asshurt NMA fag.
>>
>>134708388
Japan is also the country that figured out how to make food from human feces.

I haven't heard anything about it either, but if it's Japan...
>>
>>134708822
In a MAD scenario, having your soldiers lob tac nukes at each other on the battlefield is just begging for a full escalation to use of strategic weapons.
>>
>>134708388
>Under the pluthermal plan, spent nuclear fuel generated in light-water reactors is reprocessed to extract plutonium, which is then mixed with uranium to create mixed-oxide (MOX) fuel for use in power generation. However, many experts have raised questions about the program, citing its high costs and the risks posed by the fuel’s comparatively low melting point and the decreased effectiveness of control rods.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (60 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
60 KB, 1280x720
>>134709086
There aren't any, else it would have escalated already. Don't pretend the Fallout world is Nuclear-shy or came to some kind of Gentleman's agreement to not use Nukes.
>>
>>134708251
We'll be lucky if the mango ever gets finished AND translated.
>>
>>134707260
Spriggan actually had characters in it named after the bombs dropped on Japan.
>>
>One goal of the pluthermal program is to help reduce Japan’s huge stockpile of plutonium.
>>134709136

So, it is dangerous and costly and japan is only doing it because they simply don't have enough space to get reed of the plutonium properly in legal ways.
Ok, that kind of explains it.

If anyone wants to read more about it here are a few pages:
http://www.world-nuclear.org/info/Country-Profiles/Countries-G-N/Japan--Nuclear-Fuel-Cycle/
http://fukushimaupdate.com/japan-made-secret-promise-with-u-s-to-restart-pluthermal-nuclear-program/
https://www.rt.com/news/nuclear-japan-plant-government-932/

In short the program was delayed and then cancelled with the "zero nuclear power" policy that the government started after the Fukushima accident, which aimed to end all use of nuclear energy by 2030 (it was an immediate policy at first, for a short period of time in 2012 there were no reactors running in Japan but they had to restart them for fear of a energy shortage), but said policy was rapidly taken down by the new administration and so the plan remained in an uncertain position. According to the first link (which claims to have update in october) there should 16-18 reactors running as of the end of this year but I haven't found any confirmation on this.

Btw since the MOX fuel is partially made of the plutonium necessary for atomic bombs, as long as the program is running to it's full output and there aren't any "accounting errors" Japan should be unable to make any military use of it.
But then again it will take some years to reach that point and I don't how hasty Abe is going to be.
>>
>>134710675
>reed
rid*
>>
File: DebtOfHonor.jpg (34 KB, 309x475) Image search: [Google]
DebtOfHonor.jpg
34 KB, 309x475
>>134710675
Why does Japan need its own nukes? Unless they're planning on allying with China to fight against America for whatever retarded reason?
>>
>>134711362
I'm not too big into Japanese politics, but if I understand correctly It's all just a matter of appearance.
As you probably know the recession that came after the economy bubble busted in the early 90's brought with it a wave of nationalism and right wing ideology that has been developing since then. This ideology manifested itself in the form of hate for immigrants (specially Koreans) foreign countries (e.g. the unending conflict over the gas deposits between china and Japan) and social misfits (AKA non hardworking tax paying people), such as NEETs and otakus (a big number of them may be successful in the working world but not so much when it comes to procreation). And the way to stop these evildoers responsible for the downfall of grorious nippon is to limit their freedoms and stop them by force if they dare to counterattack. But of course if we learned something from the coldwar is that "fear wars" are cheaper and more efficient than actual ones, hence the need for nuclear weapons even if they aren't going to use them.

In short the downfall of life quality brought by the recession (and the somewhat consequential birth rate issues) scared the hell out of the population; and when a person gets scared it tries to attack whatever is near them. The politicians, with Abe in the head, are just catering to that fear. It happened in the Weinmar republic (Hitler) and more recently in Greece (Golden Dawn) and it will keep happening for as long humans are humans.

Before anyone complains I know that Japan hated pretty much all of It's neighbours long before the Heisei era started; but they have gotten much worse since.
>>
>>134702090
So shitty /a/ politics aside, how was Desert Punk? Never got around to it.
>>
>>134714951
I gave the manga a shot a while back, it blew me away. I expected nothing of such quality.
>>
>>134715177
Wow, thanks for the quick update. I'll have to give it a shot if that's the case.

Can the same be said for the anime adaptation?
>>
>>134712981
>EU on the verge of breakup as right wing ideologies take over from liberalism
>East Asia heating up over resource wars
>clusterfuck of conflicting interests in the Middle East bringing Russia into direct conflict with NATO
>Donald Trump about to take authority over a for real nuclear arsenal
I guess I'll be escaping to Australia before WW3 starts
>>
>>134715294
No idea.
>>
>>134715315
Fuck off we're full cunt.
>>
>>134715294
Don't know anything about it beyond the fact that the director later went on to fuck up Muv Luv Alternative Total Eclipse.
>>
File: AKIRA20131101.jpg (208 KB, 600x391) Image search: [Google]
AKIRA20131101.jpg
208 KB, 600x391
Akira is post apocalyptic.
>>
>>134715315
Go to a non-middle east or Africa 3rd world country.

Dollars have high exchange rates, cost of living and healthcare is cheap and honestly quality of life is pretty great if you're not below the poverty line.

Also who the fuck's gonna waste a nuke on someplace like that?
>>
>>134715315
Doomsday believers are a sad bunch.
>>
>>134715294
http://youtu.be/IX3ovW8g_AA
>>
>>134715395
Can it really be called "apocalypse" if it was just Neo Tokyo that got assfucked?
>>
>>134715473
The only two countries I like that fit that bill are Malaysia and Singapore and those are involved in the South China Sea too.
>>
>>134715525
Gotta love the USPS.
>>
>>134715671
Better than australia with their loli ban. There's also central and south america.
>>
>>134702090
Aren't nuclear and atomic bombs different things?
>>
>>134715525
Looks cool. I like the character's design quite a bit. Anything you can personally say for or against the series?
>>
>>134715824
It ends
>>
>>134715782
An atomic bomb is a type of nuclear bomb, which uses primarily fission. The other main kind of nuclear bomb is the hydrogen bomb which uses fusion (typically triggered by fission)
>>
>>134706359
We kind of were until 2012 ended and -surprise surprise- nothing happened.
Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.