[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Where were you when you realized Berserk takes its iconography
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
Where were you when you realized Berserk takes its iconography and style directly from the west?
>>
>>134680342
Probably when the author talked about how he was inspired by it, you retard.
>>
>>134680342
>medieval European fantasy inspired by the West
Did you seriously "realize" this? Wasn't it sort of obvious to begin with?
>>
>>134680395
and when was that?
>>
>>134680466
Miura has always talked about how he draws inspiration from Hollywood.

The Band of Falcon is literally named after the Millennium Falcon from Star Wars.
>>
File: streao;hio;ih.jpg (107 KB, 908x768) Image search: [Google]
streao;hio;ih.jpg
107 KB, 908x768
>>134680342
The first glace you get at the series Japan gets a lot of inspiration from western influence & vice versa Look at Japanese Dragon Quest series. You must be a real genius to figure this shit out I'm out of this thread you fucking idiot pointing out the obvious...
>>
like the first chapter, where everyone's wearing western clothes, and guts walks into a tavern in a european town and meets a fairy named Puck
>>
>>134680611
>Millennium Falcon

Its a pretty obvious reference desu, one that doesn't have as much influence on the manga thematically. However, guts being "born from the tree of the dead" is a huge influence. The manga doesn't just start that way, its the main theme "between life and death, from the womb of a corpse, a struggle for survival, holding on tooth and nail, while screaming." Thats why the manga is called berserk
>>
>>134680611
Which is funny since Lucas drew much of its inspiration for Star Wars from Japan, most importantly Kurosawa's movies.
>>
You didn't post Hellraiser.
>>
>>134680342
I don't remember where I was when I looked at some berserk images for the first time, anon.
>>
>>134680466
During the interview included on the disks for the TV Series he talks about how he was heavily inspired by western fantasy and how he was curious on how much westerners like his fantasy world.
>>
>>134680903
which is even more funny since the modern day "western" was imported straight from Kurosawa as well.
>>
>>134682023
Makes sense. I am surprised to what extent he is inspired from excalibur though. A king rises from nowhere, by the sword. Brings prosperity to the land. His wife keks him with his best knight, he goes berserk, the land goes to ruin. Then he comes to his senses after one of his knights reminds him that he is the land, and when he prospers so do his people. Kills his bastard son, dies and restores peace to the land.

Miura's Berserk reads a lot like a twisted take on excalibur, with reversals on some positions.

>King becomes king by sacrificing his men
>keks his best man
>brings prosperity to the land and protects the people with his noble nights
>will destroy the land and bring destruction to it and its people
>Instead of forgiveness, guts brings hatred and revenge
>instead of empathy and remorse, guts feels hatred and griffith feels almost nothing
>>
>>134680342
>Where were you
I think I was shitting in the loo.
>>
File: 1449766495280.jpg (1 MB, 2185x1473) Image search: [Google]
1449766495280.jpg
1 MB, 2185x1473
>>134680342
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.