[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What went wrong?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 211
Thread images: 34
File: Vinland_Saga_volume_01_cover.jpg (43 KB, 272x388) Image search: [Google]
Vinland_Saga_volume_01_cover.jpg
43 KB, 272x388
What went wrong?
>>
nothing? love me some thorfinn
>>
He didn't fuck any women but mercilessly killed people.
At least the shitty dirtfarming peasants would have 1 good memory of having sex with a hot twink viking (probably the hottest person they've ever seen, having lived their entire lives in the disgusting backwater swamp section of Britain)

Instead peasant chicks who got rejected by thorfinn were gangbanged by 4-5 sweaty fat nords. There was no justification for him not also having sex, it was the norm back then and it's weird that it's the one thing he chose not to do during his whole Stockholm syndrome thing.
>>
They brought a baby on board.
>>
>>134565684
Farming
>>
Getting on a boat.
>>
>>134565684
Didn't bone his sister.
>>
>>134566050
this
>>
>>134565684
You thought it'd stay a revenge-fest forever despite the obvious as fuck foreshadowing with his father. It's fine, the farming arc just felt like it went on too long if you read it as it came out.
>>
>>134565684
It stopped trying to convey a message in an elaborated way which resulted in the MC being turned into Jesus

The story got overly simple predictable and stale
>>
It wasn't farmland saga the whole time.
>>
>>134566430
>MC being turned into Jesus
He would be way more assertive if he was Jesus, he just went full pacifist.
>>
You read it for people fighting, not caring if Thorfinn had character development and actual motives. The worst part of the manga is post-farming. The journey to sell these horns is going to be awful.

People like you probably also hate the Vagabond farming arc
>>
>>134565684
I was considering getting into this but then I heard about 'farmland saga. I've been burned enough times by stories that start out good but then become disappointments.
>>
File: priestly wisdom.png (801 KB, 929x763) Image search: [Google]
priestly wisdom.png
801 KB, 929x763
>>134566430
I honestly like the direction it took and find Nordic Jesus compelling, but the theme just happens to resonate with me.

In an ideal world, we'd have gotten two series dedicated in their own spheres to visceral shounen action with a 9th century skin, and another which would take the 'mature' route that VS did, but it was not to be.

I wonder if the father here will ever reappear.
>>
/v/ crossboarders
>>
>>134566611
>The journey to sell these horns is going to be awful
Why? It doesn't look as good as the farming arc, but it could still be interesting.
>>
>>134566702
there's an easy endpoint where you can stop and not miss anything but a gigantic terrible epilogue
>>
>>134566430
>It stopped trying to convey a message in an elaborated way
No it didn't, it just had the MC learn the moral in the middle through introspection and visions instead of having him dance around it until just before the end of the series. The conflicts between him and other characters like Canute, or just him and reality, can still be used to present it in an elaborate way.
>>
They start with a stereotypical Shounen skit about how fucking awesome and badass the Vikings were and then they jarringly switch to a more realistic perspective about how the Vikings were the niggers of the middle ages.

Hilde is perfection, however, so I'll let it slide.
>>
File: 1437801859151.png (145 KB, 930x383) Image search: [Google]
1437801859151.png
145 KB, 930x383
>>134566793
I am interested in seeing medieval Greece; I wonder if they'll any reference to their identity as Romans.

I also wonder if Thorfinn will ever bring up qualms about the the fact that they'll essentially be conning people -- even if he doesn't know that now, I expect he'll figure out the horns don't really do anything.
>>
Askeladd died and the others were either killed or shelved.
>>
>>134566512
He will become assertive when he realizes you can't jesus your way out of things

>>134566755
I don't. He should have been the same but we a new purpose so that he has to face the why im doing stuff as opposed to this is the morally correct thing to do we'll go along with that

>>134566870
Before the manga was doing the exact same thing its doing now but not in in your face style ,there was more to it

Canute is way more interesting than current Thorfin
>>
File: 1437804251740.png (413 KB, 834x671) Image search: [Google]
1437804251740.png
413 KB, 834x671
>>134567540
>so that he has to face the why im doing stuff as opposed to this is the morally correct thing to do we'll go along with that
When you put it that way, I have to agree: the transformation he went through does seem kind of sudden.

To be fair, however there was a considerable timeskip, and we can assume that he spent most of that time alone, ruminating, and developing his convictions which were only reinforced by what he (and we) saw on the farm.

I do wish we'd been shown the process of that development, though.
>>
>>134567540
>Before the manga
It's an epic, you can't just do the same shit forever, and you can't be subtle about it the whole way though, unless the protag is meant to be a bad person or extremely dense the moral has to come to the surface at some point.
>>
>>134567540
>He should have been the same but with a new purpose
Except his old self was based entirely around his old purpose of revenge, which is why he became a fucking husk after he lost said purpose. Him being the same way but with a new purpose makes no sense, although I'll agree his transformation from husk to ultra pacifist was rushed. I still think the dream/vision with his dad and Askelaad was top tier though.
>>
>>134567696
>you can't just do the same shit forever,
The farm arc completely reseted his character, the only thing he has in common are his fighting skills

He doesn't question anything he does or why thats what he and everyone is supposed to do

It would have been better if he had grown to be a benevolent Askeladd

>>134567773
>Except his old self was based entirely around his old purpose of revenge, which is why he became a fucking husk after he lost said purpose.
Not really, there was also what his dad wanted. The timeskip killed his character and his current motivation doesn't really make sense as there is none

its just we are going to vinland. It would be fine if he was a fanatic about it, that would have been interesting too but the author didn't shaped him in any way
>>
>>134567691
>I do wish we'd been shown the process of that development though
We were, it was just rushed as hell. He sees Askeladd die and gives up on fucking everything because he can't get revenge, then basically works on the farm as a zombie for a year, then he makes a friend, then the landlords son and the mercenaries try to kill them and he realizes he's defending himself so he still wants to live. After that he just starts opening up slowly and embracing his life as a farmer while having weird nightmares, until he gets in that fight with the other farmers and gets KO'd. Then he has that trippy nightmare with his dad and Askeladd and that's when he starts with the pacifism shit.
>>
>>134565684
It abandoned a major and alluring part of the plot. I came to see an angry vengeful viking fuck shit up, not to willingly become a slave and then go on a quest to found some bullshit utopia.
>>
>>134568118
>willingly
>>
>>134565684
Nothing, this is the shit.
>>
>>134568013
>The farm arc completely reseted his character
Because he gave up on life after Askeladd.
>He doesn't question anything he does or why thats what he and everyone is supposed to do
Yes he does. He starts actually enjoying his life for a while and then he gets that vision with his dad and starts thinking about pacifism. Then he spends a bunch of time trying to use his new ideals and make it up to the people he killed before he remembers Vinland and decides to go there, which doesn't even happen until like the last quarter of the farming arc.
>Not really, there was also what his dad wanted
Which he completely ignored while on his revenge crusade. The arc reset his character because without revenge he had no character, both times he was asked what his plan was after he got his revenge he just shrugged it off.
>and his current motivation doesn't really make sense as there is none
>its just we are going to Vinland
Did you just ignore everything leading up to him deciding to go to Vinland? His goal may be ridiculous but the way he decides on it is shown and makes plenty of sense, he wants to escape the violence and make a peaceful Utopia so he can atone for all the people he killed.
>>
Will Thorfinn be forced to break his pacifist streak when dirty injuns attack his eventual settlement?
>>
File: 1427464406241.jpg (62 KB, 438x284) Image search: [Google]
1427464406241.jpg
62 KB, 438x284
>>134568038
Sorry, let me clarify: I was assuming that he engaged in introspection and something like Socratic reasoning while he worked and lived alone; I was wishing that we'd gotten to see that specifically.

>>134568118
>an angry vengeful viking fuck shit up
You didn't really get that, either: adolescent Thorfinn was pretty much a punished ninja in a coat -- not really a viking.

Unless you mean Askeladd.

>>134568294
Probably, if he doesn't die somehow before then.
>>
>>134566050
*stopped farming

ftfy
>>
>>134568323
>Thorfinn was pretty much a punished ninja in a coat
Yeah, but that coat was pretty stylish. I liked the Farming arc but revenge Thorfinn had the cooler character design by far.
>>
>>134568323
>I was assuming that he engaged in introspection and something like Socratic reasoning while he worked and lived alone
I was under the impression he didn't really make any progress until his buddy showed up. I mean him being surprised that some part of him still wanted to live made me think that was the first time he'd stopped numbing himself and actually thought about life for a while.
>>
I still find it to be a highly compelling manga. I think it's very interesting to see such a very Western story come out of Japan. The focus on redemption, love, and pacifism all feel very Occidental-Christian in presentation, which is both very interesting, and something that resonates with me at my core.
>>
>>134568038
He went through one whole year's worth of serialisation before he finally met Canute again to prove his devotion to pacifism, how much longer did you want Yukimura to drag it out?
>>
>>134565684
When farmland saga happened and it went on for 3 fucking years.
>>
>>134568452
>Occidental-Christian
What is this?
>>
>>134565684
Instead of being subtle, it went full on retarded with it´s "killing is wrong". Thorfinn stopping the invasion by talking was what killed the franchise.
>>
>>134568513
>how much longer did you want Yukimura to drag it out
Long enough for him to have grown an actual beard instead of just stubble.
>>
>>134568562
Christianity as practiced in Europe and the Americas. I'm mostly just trying to specify the difference between it and the way that it's practiced in Asia and Africa.
>>
File: 1448460529402.jpg (320 KB, 1500x1200) Image search: [Google]
1448460529402.jpg
320 KB, 1500x1200
>>134568360
I prefer older-looking characters, but the design is memorable.

>>134568414
I only read the farm arc closely last summer, so I hardly remember the state he was in after the skip. It's easy to imagine him questioning himself about why he did the things he did, and who he was (or wasn't) thanks to all of that, and that he couldn't come any satisfying conclusion before Einar showed up.

It may be that
>the first time he'd stopped numbing himself and actually thought about life for a while.
is actually change in his thinking, so that he wondered what he COULD be and COULD do rather than dwelling on the past and present.

Might be talking shit, tho.
>>
>>134568604
So what is the difference and how does it relate to Thorfinn? He's a pacifist, yes, but in his time-period and geographical location, Christians kill people all the time.
>>
>>134568604
Is Christian thought somehow less patient in Asia?
>>
>>134568622
I think he's talking less about christian practice and more about christian mythos. Thorfinn's growth so far is sort of similar to a saint cycle I think.
>>
>>134568569
>implying
That shit was great. It's not like he just walked up before the battle started, he got the shit beat out of him and managed to change Canute's mind after they saw the casualties pile up.
>>
File: 1392533276176.jpg (141 KB, 715x590) Image search: [Google]
1392533276176.jpg
141 KB, 715x590
>>134568674
>saint cycle
I don't know enough about Catholics to say anything to that. Explain further.
>>
File: based.png (658 KB, 1012x745) Image search: [Google]
based.png
658 KB, 1012x745
>>134568452
By the way, are you me?

>>134568674
Is the "saint cycle" a more common pattern in Western tradition than in the East?
>>
>>134568622
>>134568654
It's more that the major theme of literature in the West is Redemption, mostly because of the influence of Christianity. In Japan the major theme is mono no aware, the acknowledgement of the ephemerality of life. That's why you hear "I wished this moment would last forever" or see hackneyed sakura tree symbolism all time in anime, the same way you see overblown forgiveness arcs in American stuff.

Seeing a fully realized Redemption arc come from Japan, with an MC who is embodying a lot of the tenets of Christianity is really interesting to me.
>>
File: True man.jpg (267 KB, 728x1034) Image search: [Google]
True man.jpg
267 KB, 728x1034
>>134568728
Hell yeah motherfucker.
>>
>>134568751
Well India did give us Asoka.
>ruler goes to war
>holy shit, war is horrible
>converts to Buddhism, becomes vegetarian
I do wonder where Thorfinn's ideals will take him though. Apart from more trouble.
>>
>>134568739
From what I remember it's basically someone misguided and sinful throughout their youth becomes a paragon of morality after finding god, or in Thorfinn's case, pacifism.
>>134568748
I think it is, it's more of a localized catholic thing.
>>
File: 1437424157453.gif (298 KB, 325x720) Image search: [Google]
1437424157453.gif
298 KB, 325x720
>>134568751
Are redemption and mono no aware as themes supposed to contrast directly, or are you just bringing up the latter as an example of a common theme in Japan?
>>
>>134565684
Thorfinn isn't entertaining enough to carry the series by himself. That's why everyone around him is more interesting. It kinda snoozes whenever they are just in-between stages of meeting new people but that's usually pretty short.

It also hurts that it's a historical, yet current Thorfinn's personality makes it really hard to surprise the readers on what will happen nor is it easy to hype up future events.

You can't even say it went wrong. It's just that Askeladd as a character was far more interesting than anyone else because he wasn't invincible and a faggot like Thors, and dealt with his flaws in his own entertaining ways.
>>
I just wanted them to keep carrying longboats
Also Hild a qt.
>>
>>134567540
>Canute is way more interesting than current Thorfin

Just like in real history. How modest of Yukimura.
>>
>>134568951
Will we ever see Canute in the HRE, getting enamored with bling?
>>
>>134568951
Will we ever see Knut again, according to the history?
>>
>>134567773
>although I'll agree his transformation from husk to ultra pacifist was rushed.

Remember the time when he took 100 punches to the face? /a/ was screaming at everybody spamming >>134567691 image and claiming it was the best character development since sliced bread and shit posted everyone who disagreed no matter what.
>>
File: 1449298358376.jpg (94 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1449298358376.jpg
94 KB, 1920x1080
>>134568883
>Askeladd as a character was far more interesting
He was, but his death was necessary for Thorfinn to develop. I wonder if the author got tired or depressed after drawing a vicious MC for so long, and just wanted to get the redemption on the road already. I can imagine Miura getting burnt out on suffering Guts in the same way.

Besides that, I think Thorfinn can be endearing, but he does lack quirks. I hope the author can rectify that.
>>
>>134568883
>Askeladd as a character was far more interesting than anyone else
Yeah I have to agree with this.
>>134569011
/a/'s immediate reaction to anything is gonna be over the top. And his development was rushed after the vision, but by the time he took the punches he'd been full pacifist for a while. Also rushed or not that scene was pretty cool.
>>
>>134568862
It's more that they're the major themes in the two areas, and seeing one do the other is fun.
>>
>>134568598
We would still be waiting even after Guts got off the boat then.
>>
>>134569077
>but he does lack quirks
I'm getting the feeling he's kind of socially retarded, that's probably gonna come up more in the merchant stuff.
>>
File: 1421808708277.webm (539 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
1421808708277.webm
539 KB, 640x360
>>134569104
I see.

Do you find it as interesting when the West does sentimental stories like Shinkai's?
>>
Not enough farming.
>>
>>134569232
Go read Silver Spoon, you'll get your fix.
>>
>>134569255
Too much hiatus.
>>
>>134569189
It's just as interesting, academically, but I'll admit that it doesn't grab my heart. I'm a lot more emotionally invested in redemption. It's weirdly satisfying to see someone explore your closely held beliefs.

>>134569255
Another one where the moral is to just run away, oddly enough.
>>
File: boatquest2.png (806 KB, 1248x816) Image search: [Google]
boatquest2.png
806 KB, 1248x816
>>
>>134569154
Well, what do you want, he spent most of his life grumbling alone, then he spent some years in the company of trees.
>>
>>134565684
No Kyoani adaptation
>>
>>134569077
>but his death was necessary for Thorfinn to develop.

Not denying this at all just pointing out how it affected everyone.

Even The Ravages of Fucking Time is not immune to this, look what happened after Lu Bu died? /a/ stopped making threads!

>>134569099
>Also rushed or not that scene was pretty cool.

Cool, but also stupid. Which is part of why it's cool mind you. There's manliness in taking the wrong road to success just to stay on the path of integrity. In fact that's the entire fucking point because that's exactly what his DAD did. Thors took the stupid option when he had every chance to fix up Askeladd's band of brigands just like Canute does the vikings, but he didn't feel that was within his capacity (it wasn't Thors was always an idiot) and so instead of trying his best and buddying up with Askeladd and trying to convert people he just offered his own life without regards to his family.

But no, /a/ just flat out sperged out and claimed it was the ONLY way it could have gone well. Like Canute was actually gonna kill Thorfinn if the guy just wanted to sit down for some tea and talk it over calmly. The value comes from the fact that both father and son are too fucking stupid and incapable to do any better, so they take the 'viking' choice of honor.
>>
Anyone else feels like "ghost stopping crossbow" is the lowest point in the series?

At least it can't get worse than this and quality might go up again.
>>
>>134569311
>what do you want
I want to see it more actually.
>>
So when do we get more hunter-Hanako?
>>
>>134569380
What's the problem with it? It was her inner turmoil given a visual form. It's like you're dumb or something.
>>134569410
>hunter-Hanako
Hnnngh.
>>
>>134569430
the ghost shoulda looked more ghostly
he looked like a fuckin hobbit that just wandered out of his burrow
>>
>>134565684
Your dad didn't pull out.
>>
>>134569337
>The value comes from the fact that both the father and son are to fucking stupid and incapable to do any better
Not quite how I'd put it, but yeah. Thorfinn knows he's not equipped to tackle shit like that from a consequentialist viewpoint like Canute tries to, so he hoped he could sway him through his integrity in the face of danger.
>>
>>134569479
No bully pls.
>>
File: 1324328187830.jpg (90 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1324328187830.jpg
90 KB, 1280x720
>mfw shonentards reading seinen manga
>>
File: Vinland Saga v11 c73 p05.png (402 KB, 847x1200) Image search: [Google]
Vinland Saga v11 c73 p05.png
402 KB, 847x1200
>>134569232
This was pretty satisfying.

>>134569280
Both themes grip me pretty firmly: redemption protagonists are admirable because of their sincerity, and I'm fixated even during the day on how quickly things pass and on how I ought to be experiencing it all as diligently as possible.

I hadn't really noticed the trend that you pointed out and the fact that works like VS are an exception; I'll probably be more perceptive of it in the future.
>>
File: 1339909375645.png (171 KB, 580x589) Image search: [Google]
1339909375645.png
171 KB, 580x589
>>134569410
I miss Akira.
>>
File: 1427301068867.png (161 KB, 301x312) Image search: [Google]
1427301068867.png
161 KB, 301x312
>>134569523
>mfw seinenfags think they actually have refined taste
>>
File: 911.png (182 KB, 442x341) Image search: [Google]
911.png
182 KB, 442x341
It went from a seinen manga about betrayal, revenge, and historical fun to a shounen manga about power of friendship, peace, and love.

Just pretend it ended before the time skip.
>>
File: Vinland_saga_v03_extra_p204.jpg (83 KB, 728x1029) Image search: [Google]
Vinland_saga_v03_extra_p204.jpg
83 KB, 728x1029
>>134569541
>Akira Satou will never be your sugar momma
Damn. You had to go there, huh?
>>
>>134569430
It was sudden like a diarrhea. One second she was shooting arrows at him without any mercy, then suddenly she received ghost wisdom and everything is nice and dandy now. I mean, it's not like I wanted their forest rendezvous to be much longer, but come the fuck on.
>>
>>134569592
It went from a gorefest pseudo-Berserk into a story about hi-jinks and redemption.
I'll take it like it is, gladly.
>>
File: 1430673977573.jpg (74 KB, 423x497) Image search: [Google]
1430673977573.jpg
74 KB, 423x497
>>134569592
>It went from seinen . . . to shounen
I understand what you mean but those aren't genres.
>>
>>134569637
>>134569682
It was a Ravages of Time and then it became a [4Kids] One Piece.
>>
>>134569723
>it was bait all along
Oh, woe is me.
>>
Fuck I fell behind by a few months, need to marathon that shit. Has anything interesting happened since he fought the bear?
>>
Vinland Saga was fucking awful at the beginning. It didn't even start to get good till Canute joined the manga.
>>
>>134569770
thorfinn died
>>
File: 002.png (186 KB, 887x724) Image search: [Google]
002.png
186 KB, 887x724
>>134569609
>yfw Ylfa got her pussy pumped by one of the dudes who totally forgot about thorfinn and left him adrift on a boat filled with viking mercenaries
>yfw Thorfinn comes home and gets BTFO for not returning despite the fact that he was basically an indoctrinated child soldier
>yfw she doesn't blame the adults that left him there

Arigato Onee-san
>>
>>134569496
Even Thorfinn knows he's stupid anon. He was never educated or nothing. Thors grew up only knowing how to fight. They were both uneducated men, and both were terrible with words.

You know that saying how women ramble on about how they love it when their man is immersed in their work? It's because when they open their mouths and start talking about shit the illusion breaks due to their stupidity. You think that would ever apply to a guy like Askeladd or Canute? Fat chance. Not even fucking Snake. Girls would swoon even if they were piss drunk rambling.

That saying was tailor made for guys like Thorfinn. Mind you Thorfinn's IQ was above average in his era.
>>
File: varia.jpg (64 KB, 400x500) Image search: [Google]
varia.jpg
64 KB, 400x500
>>134569770
Dark-Age-Samus showed up, killed the bear, revealed that Thorfinn killed her father and now they're having a The End-style crossbow boss fight while she has flashbacks.
>>
>>134569682
They should've just split it up into a prequel and sequel series, then nobody would bitch and moan to be honest.
>>
>>134569802
>Snake
>piss drunk rambling
I'd swoon for that too.
>>
>>134569280
>where the moral is to just run away, oddly enough.

You do realize that in VS's case, it's ultimately something that bites Thorfinn in the ass right? It won't end with the series portraying that running away was the right choice. It was flat out the wrong choice and just escapism, just instead of a NEET or otaku doing it, now it's a manlet viking.
>>
>>134569840
How else did he have access to every village girl's pussy on the farm? It sure as hell isn't working hard.
>>
File: Vinland Saga - v13 c93 - 034.png (594 KB, 949x1400) Image search: [Google]
Vinland Saga - v13 c93 - 034.png
594 KB, 949x1400
Post your soundtracks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKyvAjoIvAI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yPo0CUHwAs

>>134569380
I did feel like a major copout, but it's too early to stop Thorfinn in his idealistic tracks; they haven't even left the North. At the same time, it was an opportunity to confront Thorfinn with what he did in the past and illustrate the regret he feels. Besides, Einar couldn't have just subdued her, because Yukimura obviously wants to bring her along and do more with her character -- and if she had no reason not to be killing Thorfinn whenever she had the chance, that'd be an impossibility.
>>
>>134569801
Ylfa lost all her charm when she grew up. She turned out to be more manly looking than Thorfinn.
>>
>>134569881
Thorfinn is a small guy.
>>
>>134569881
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R82OM5tzcrk
>>
>>134569848
I don't know that there's any evidence to support that. It seems to be searching for the answer to true pacifism, and avoiding confrontation has to be a part of that. The interesting thing is going to be when they encounter the natives in Vinland, but I don't think that it will condemn Thorfinn for running.
>>
>>134569925
>Injuns get on warpath
>settlers getting killed
Here's the kicker:
>Thorfinn runs away and abandons them
or
>Thorfinn takes up arms once more
>>
>>134569881
It's no bigger a copout than Thorfinn running away instead of bargaining with Canute and working with him. Canute basically told him he was gonna attempt the impossible and go for 100% best ending, and Thorfinn was like "yeah I don't like that you aren't doing it without sacrifices, so even though you accepted my offer and asked me to join you proving that you are willing to listen to my counsel and be more nice about it and less tyrannical, I'll just let you do things on your own good luck with that."

Yes I know this is all a build up to when he comes back from Vinland and realizes the North Sea Empire crumbles once Canute dies and his heirs slowly break apart what Canute achieved and how Thorfinn possibly could have prevented it by bearing some of Canute's weight so he can have time to raise his heirs properly.
>>
>>134569977
No he'll just get tomahawked in the face 100 times and settle things peacefully!
>>
>>134570004
>Thorfinn scalps himself to impress the injuns
>>
>>134569995
please just let him get to vinland and meet a brown person first my family
>>
>>134569977
Thorfinn's not abandoning anyone by running though. His solution, when confrontation becomes inevitable, is to offer everything he has to protect others. If they can avoid it by running, that's the option he'll take, but I think that this manga is really going to push for a pacifist conclusion to its major conflicts.
>>
>>134569925
>Commit crime
>Atone by running away
>Believe in fantasy utopia
>Realize it's just the same as your previous home
>Run away again even though you had a blank slate and fucked it up again
>????
>Watch NSE crumble
>Happy ending!
>>
Not being based on the vinland saga. I would've loved to see a newfie manga
>>
>>134570021
No problems, gotta let Thorfinn have an illusion of happiness just like his dad before it all comes down on him.
>>
>>134570021
>brown
>not red

So he ended up in India? Is he like a reverse Columbus?
>>
Why does Thorfinn think he has to create a Utopia when his dad killed way more people and didn't do shit?
>>
>>134565684
It established some fun and badass characters and then promptly threw them away, only to replace them with hippies.
>>
>>134570074
Thorfinn's vinland settlement will dye out but the injuns will admire his large penis and thus he will get a happy ending with many wives that canonically matches up with history.
>>
>>134570140
I think it was just something he said spur of the moment during his concussion after having his skull punched in 100 times.
>>
>>134570140
Cause Thors is dead.
>>
File: VINLAND-SAGA05_030.png (418 KB, 984x1400) Image search: [Google]
VINLAND-SAGA05_030.png
418 KB, 984x1400
>>134570140
If he wants to be a good person, why not be a better person?

He also needs purpose.
>>
>>134570198
Quite the concussion since he's still aiming for that.
>>
>>134568569
For you maybe. For me it actually revived it. If you want everyone to solve their problems with fighting go read Reborn or someshit.
>>
>>134570234
well yeah I mean look at that face >>134569801
I don't think you're coming outta that without brain damage.
>>
>>134570169
But does he even have a sex drive? Like are we certain he didn't injure his family jewels or something when he was risking his life all those years under Askeladd? I mean look at all his scars.

>Only the area around his groin was perfectly unscathed
>>
>>134570262
He's probably just repressing the fuck out of it because of social retardation, he was fast enough that he should still have at least one nut.
>>
>>134570249
He still ended up fighting the hunter girl, he just did it like a Saturday morning cartoon hero instead of as a viking. Fighting doesn't need to entail killing.
>>
>>134570321
So compared to Kirito, how much glop will he give the first girl? I don't remember how old was when he left on his revenge journey. Actually how old is he even right now?
>>
>>134570324
>a Saturday morning cartoon hero
You mean with hyper-violent slapstick that should kill everyone involved?
>>
>>134570262
The viking mercs probably cut his balls off at age 5 because he was fine killing people but he wouldn't rape people.
He would have no way of knowing it was morally wrong since the vikings mercs had taught him how to be a warrior since age 5, well before he even know what sex was. It's not like they'd have any reason to skip over the "rape" part of "rape & pillage" and just teach Thorfinn how to pillage.
>>
>>134570375
Maybe he was just shy? Rape is very personal stuff.
>>
>>134565684
Attracted the wrong audience with the edgy tryhard fakeout shit.
It was always supposed to become farmland saga. If you read planets you'd know the mangaka was too smart for edgy 13 year old power fantasies.
Everything went right.
>>
>>134570358
He was like 9 when he left for revenge, I think 17 when it ended and like 20 right now. But he was definitely old enough to bang a slave girl at some point.
>>
>>134570375
How do you know his father didn't teach him about sex and how rape is wrong before he died? This was 1000AD, shit was different.
>>
>there's people who didn't understand the point of the redemption arc
Thorfin literally went to hell and back because of the guilt he amassed from being "badass sanic the hedgehog".
>>
>>134565956
Why do you norms make a big deal when you watch anime or read manga and the MC isn't fucking everything that moves?
>>
>>134570373
No I was referring to the old The Animated Series type where everything was taken relatively seriously and the production values were high but it was still a children's show at the end.

Ah shit now I remembered Samurai Pizza Cats also aired back then. Yeah no not that.
>>
>>134570439
I think you mean Coldsteel
>>
I'm fine with him as he is now, but I wish he wasn't full on pacifist.

I hope he realizes that violence is OK every now and then, just that it shouldn't be the go to option.

I'd like to see him try to resolve every problem with words or actions first. Then, once all options are spent, he has to resort to violence. Not even KILL EVERYONE mode, but just fighting for the sake of his friends/family. Doesn't even have to kill.
>>
>>134570450
>The Animated Series type
You mean Batman, who beat people up? Superman who beat people up? Gargoyles, where they still beat everyone up?
Good shows. Didn't air on Saturdays where I live, though.
>>
>>134570433
Were dads like that back then?
Like were the times so boring that he'd be like "Gather round' yee children, and watch how'th I plow thy Mother"
>>
>>134570398
Yeah but if it was associated with battle he'd do it without hesitation for [REVENGE].
>>
>people on /a/ think the ghosts in the last chapter were supposed to be ghosts and not just embodiments of her psyche
There's only 12 year olds left on /a/...
>>
File: 1422926450278.jpg (18 KB, 200x247) Image search: [Google]
1422926450278.jpg
18 KB, 200x247
>>134570495
Supposedly, mature (and married) peasants just got to business at night in the same room as the rest of the family (most basic residences didn't consist of individual rooms for each person) without a fuss about 'privacy'.

Could be (probably is) bullshit tho.
>>
>>134570471
Yeah, you get the point.
Retards can go read the "badass" first chapter over and over if they want.
>>
nothing
I don't understand how people still want him to muh kill everybody edgelord forever
>>
>>134570568
No, no one thinks that it's just easier to type Ghost
>>
>>134570568
There might be an outlier or two but it's clearly humor and convenience for the most part.
>>
>>134570598
>I don't understand how people still want him to muh kill everybody edgelord forever
15 year old teenage atheists who write lengthy essays about how morality needs to be abolished and take photos of themselves with fedora and katana.

I love vinland saga for the fact that it shows how psychologically harmful being a "badass" would be to a non psychotic person.
>>
>>134570583
>probably is
Why do you say that?
>>
>>134570480
Yeah, that's exactly what Thorfinn was attempting to hunter girl. Did you think he was gonna stop at dodging crossbow bolts and start talking down on her? When people don't listen you take action even if you don't plan to kill them.
>>
File: whiteknightambush.png (224 KB, 996x998) Image search: [Google]
whiteknightambush.png
224 KB, 996x998
>wah wah why isn't this manga edgy and dark like my tortured soul anymore
>>
File: 1424511296377.jpg (44 KB, 261x287) Image search: [Google]
1424511296377.jpg
44 KB, 261x287
>>134570684
Because it just sounds like a stupid myth meant to shock the modern listener. I'm no authority, though.

>>134570677
>being a "badass" would be to a non psychotic person.
Would violence scar a person who has no sense of morality?
>>
File: img-thing.jpg (13 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
img-thing.jpg
13 KB, 300x300
>>134570480
>You mean Batman, who beat people up?
So edgy and dark.
>>
>>134570781
>Would violence scar a person who has no sense of morality?
He has a sense of morality, because his initial reason for his quest was to avenge the death of his father. As he grew up he realized he did exactly the thing that happened to him as a kid to countless other people.
It's what we call "character arc".
>>
File: oiCwih9.jpg (22 KB, 367x500) Image search: [Google]
oiCwih9.jpg
22 KB, 367x500
>>134570781
>Would violence scar a person who has no sense of morality?
>>
>>134565684
Only one chapter every month.
>>
File: 1424135200958.jpg (140 KB, 542x549) Image search: [Google]
1424135200958.jpg
140 KB, 542x549
>>134570837
>He has a sense of morality
I wasn't speaking of Thorfinn, sorry. He's pretty clearly moral -- I meant to ask if even a savage would find violence traumatic if he were to inflict it.
>>
>>134570859
Why did the viking revenge murder porn I used to read start trying to teach me life lessons I'd already learned?
>>
>>134570938
In the future, all PSAs will be in the form of porn.
>>
>>134571009
Thank you shaft-sensei
>>
When I realize that in the ending Thorfinn will get killed by American indians
>>
>>134570938
>Why did the viking revenge murder porn I used to read start trying to teach me life lessons I'd already learned?
It wasn't revenger murder porn, because thorfin from the start was cu cked by the guy who killed his dad.
All the people he killed had nothing to do with his revenge in the first place.
Comming from the guy who made planets it was no surprise how it turned out.
Glad he played you fools.
>>
>>134571147
Pretty much, the story just took a turn in a different direction because Thorfinn lost his only goal in life, and had to get another one, while understanding violence isn't the way to go. It just took him the entire first part of the manga to get to the same conclusion his father had, so it's only natural he'd refuse fighting and try to resort to dialogue as much as possible.
Seems to work for now, but I sure hope he doesn't get trashed everytime he tries to reason with other people, cause he'll be dead before selling his horns at this rate.
>>
>>134566611
I enjoyed the Vagabond farming arc, and didn't mind farmland saga either. But doing a full 180 to pacifism (with no plan to end it) is a poor choice for the direction of the series. It's like the end of Usagi Drop- the author writes something, and writes it well, then they just say 'fuck you' to the audience who enjoys that aspect of the series and turns it on its head into something the audience naturally wouldn't want. It doesn't make the audience plebs who can't appreciate character development, it's just mediocre development that doesn't improve the overall narrative.

I'm not sure if there are plans to break his pacifism, but that would make him look weak willed. He's also not a strong enough protag to carry the series without getting involved in some action, so he's kind of written into a corner.
>>
>>134571262
So when he gets to vinland what'll his new goal be? Make a family with the tomboy?
>>
>>134571089
He doesn't he runs away from them and lives the rest of his life back home as a failure owing a huge debt to that chain fag.
>>
>>134571271
If he was tall and imposing he could at least be a little more dominating. But he's like a twinky manlet, I can't see him convincing fat annoying stubborn turbans later on with just his words.
>>
>>134571271
>then they just say 'fuck you' to the audience who enjoys that aspect
That's the fanbase, not the writer. There's nothing wrong with liking revenge but it was obvious from the beginning with Thors that it was gonna get turned on its head. And there's still plenty of action even with pacifist Thorfinn.
>>
>>134571389
I would've liked if he was "changed by love" and not "changed by a hairy kekold norse slave's friendship"
>>
>>134571389
I was expecting to go from extreme violent cunt to something like his father, where hes a badass but doesn't kill.

This would have been OK. Change was too distract, though. Should have eased in to it more.
>>
>>134571511
He was only calmed down by a hairy norse slave's friendship, he was changed by remembering his father.
>>
I miss Thorkell.
The blacksmith from Hild's story reminded me of Thorkell.
>>
>>134569302
>it became a battle harem
>>
>>134571590
Thorkell kinda phased out from history though. No high or low note to end on. He just, disappeared.
>>
File: 153315.jpg (40 KB, 225x350) Image search: [Google]
153315.jpg
40 KB, 225x350
>>134565684
i lost all interest when he died.

askeladd carried it becuase you were never sure what his true intentions were.
>>
>>134572529
Literally Viking Lu Bu.

>Strong as fuck
>Betrays people left and right
>Gets betrayed by his own men
>Only person who could kick his ass was some righteous faggot who had his head up his ass
>Dies never achieving his ambition

All he needs is the coolest theme song in KT's Dynasty Vikings and he's good to go.
>>
>>134565684
Nothing. You retards just can't appreciate when something isn't mindless shounen fighting or fanservice.
>>
>>134572948
this right here
>>
>>134570399
This.
>>
>>134565684
Forced shipping of the 3rd kind.
>>
>>134572948
The problem is it was mindless shounen fighting fanservice for a long time.

Then stopped. Completely.

It should have eased in to it.
>>
>>134565684
the creator thought I gave shit about throfinn to begin with and forgot I read it for everyone else in the book but edgy mc edge, when he went his pacifist route he forgot to put in side characters that where actually as interesting as the ones he replaced.

fuck shaggy, baby, moe moe kyun, and funneh faces comedy relief. holy shit do they suck.
>>
Hey /a/.

Tell me your thoughts on crossbow physics.
>>
>>134573608
it's a bit too
>"Tch! it really is a sword technique without weakness."

but it could have been worse so I'm not really fannyflushtered
>>
>>134573608
I't just works.
>>
>>134574291
Better than FO4 that's for sure.
>>
>>134565684
I like history but got into this manga for the fight sections. Now there's no fights at all.
>>
>>134572948
I can, but I didn't get into this manga to read pseudo-philosophical bullshit on pacifism. I wouldn't get into any manga for that, desu.
>>
>>134570449
It's a viking manga, you moron. vikings raped girls, most soldiers did back then.
>>
Farming arc was the best part of the manga.
>>
>>134575392
That's not true. Thorfinn just fought a bear and then had some weird hunted survival fight with crossbow chick.
>>
>>134565684
Literally nothing.
>>
>>134576001
Thorfinn didn't loot or party or drink or do fucking anything not directly related to revenge, why would he join in the rape? Why would he want to bang chicks while surrounded by a bunch of fat vikings he hates?
>>
>>134573608
Just don't talk about them around /tg/.
>>
File: 1447186178746.jpg (36 KB, 552x532) Image search: [Google]
1447186178746.jpg
36 KB, 552x532
>>134577185
>Why would he want to bang chicks
Why wouldn't he? He's not gay.
>>
I want him to realize fighting is necessary, and I want the people that hate him to keep on hating him.
>>
>>134577286
How do you know that?
>>
>>134577286
Because pussy wouldn't help him kill Askeladd, and he wouldn't want to do anything that would make him feel like he's actually one of them. Literally all he did was follow Askeladd's orders until he got a duel, over and over again.
>>
>>134577286
Even when in his edgy teenager phase he never bothered with non-combatants. He didn't rape or kill them. I guess his ideas of what a proper warrior should be like is what kept him from doing that stuff.
>>
File: 1407495452243.jpg (46 KB, 500x342) Image search: [Google]
1407495452243.jpg
46 KB, 500x342
>>134570583
>>134570781

It's not conclusive either way, because medieval peasants tend not to leave any writings regarding their lives. Even if one was a literate peasant, writing materials were a huge cost. So historians are forced to speculate about lifestyle from the layout of houses and archaeological evidence.
>>
We're overdue for another horse punch.
>>
nothing
>>
So when's the next chapter.
>>
>>134565684
Thorfinn shaved his beard and looks like a bitch.
>>
>>134578288
Still, sounds like a real thing, I mean earlier western civilizations like Greece and Rome had some weird sex shit that makes that pale in comparison.
Thread replies: 211
Thread images: 34

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.