[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is reading translated manga the same as watching dubbed anime?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: 006.png (363 KB, 828x1300) Image search: [Google]
006.png
363 KB, 828x1300
Is reading translated manga the same as watching dubbed anime?
>>
Sure
>>
Its the same as watching subbed anime.
>>
Not really.
>>
>>134508768
But with manga, you're entirely replacing the mode of communication, i.e. text, whereas with subbed anime you're just adding text in addition to the audio which is still kept.
>>
>>134508671
If you mean officially translated it depends on where you live I guess. In my country they are usually very good, with a few exceptions. To be honest, scan (even eng ones) don't even compare
>>
Pretty much. Not because of >>134509244, but because manga translations are exclusively the realm of total morons. The skill required to "translate" a manga chapter can be picked up in an afternoon, thanks to Google Translate. Translating anime requires at least basic speaking ability, which takes months to acquire.

Like >>134509312 says, actual translations that are for sale are far closer to the original product.
>>
>>134508671
Yes, and it's even worse if it's fan-made translations. Most manga, like anything fan-translated, are full of badly worded and often false translations.
>>
Pretty much. The difference is that there are less factors to fuck up with manga, which generally leads to the loss in quality being smaller.
There are also fewer people that are able to read raw manga, which leads to less stigmatization of reading the translated stuff.
In the end, reading/watching in the original language is almost always the superior option, and it should be done whenever possible.
>>
>>134509675
I agree that sticking to the original language delivers the truest experience, but the stigmatization of translated stuff mostly takes place here on /a/ and is retarded as fuck. It's just ridiculous, I laugh at those manchildren actually taking manga and anime seriously and tripping over someone watching dubbed stuff or streaming it
>>
>>134509827
I don't think too many people are against streaming from sites like Kissanime where the video quality isn't TOO bad, it's when you're watching anime on some sketchy site with a 4:3 player hosting 360p videos from multiple sources of which most lead to dead links.

As for dubs, the pure and simple fact is that the vast majority of the people in charge of dubs and many of the American voice actors who do them just don't take them seriously. It's mostly B and C-list actors looking to gain some extra publicity, and like we saw with the whole Kangoku Gakuen farce, literal manchildren are in charge of making official English dubs nowadays.
>>
>>134509827
Not really. Considering that the loss of quality with dubs is huge, the hatred towards them is completely justified.
It's true that there can rarely be a dub that could be worth watching, but even then it should strictly be watched as side-material after finishing the series in the original language.
Unlike with manga, you can't even use the "I don't know Japanese" excuse as long as subs exist. There are no valid reasons for watching dubs unless you are literally unable to read.
As for streaming, it would be fine if the quality was the same as when you download it. This is not the case for anime, but it's possible for manga depending on the site you use. That's why you'll encounter way more hatred towards sites like mangafox than ones like Batoto.
>>
>>134509343
>actual translations that are for sale are far closer to the original product.
Are you the same person that comes to each and everyone of these threads talking about official translations like they're the second coming of Christ?
If i start listing some of crunchyroll's bullshit, for example, are you going to reply with
>but they fixed it later
even though it took them months to fix it and even then they still managed to fuck something else up?
>>
>>134508671
Yes. The mode of translation differs with commercial releases.
>>
Im pretty sure you also read English text when watching subbed anime
>>
>>134511602
>He didn't even read the OP post
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.