[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Shoujo Kakumei Utena
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4
File: why.png (1 MB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
why.png
1 MB, 1024x768
Okay lads, I just finished the series and I'd like to discuss a bit about the content of said anime. It was a good ride with some goods moments, but the fillers (or the Nanami episodes, if you prefer) were very underwhelming and I ended up not caring that much about the side characters (aside from the glorious Jury rematch) who didn't play that much of a role aside from the narration, and a nice load of the male characters were too caricatural of the misogynistic, manipulative and dominating males, too characteristic of the stigmatizing feminist views of society
However, I have a few questions regarding the plot and characters.

First is pic related. What happened at this moment? Why did Jury give up on the fight when the pendant was broken?

Second is the following: what was Akio's aim in the end? He wanted to bring the world "revolution" but I don't think he actually stated what he wanted. Was he one of those who were looking for "something eternal"? You'd think he would have cared about Anthy due to their common tortuous past, but it seems like he was more egocentrical than expected.

Third: why did Anthy say that Utena couldn't be her prince because she's a woman? Are we seeing here a representation of the Japanese society that has difficulties accepting a non-partriarchal model or even homosexuality?

Fourth, regarding the ending: did Utena actually cause a revolution (she pretty much overturned the prince and broke the Rose Bride system) or was it another of those series like Eva that lure the viewer into believing that things will happen on the bigger scale whereas what actually matters is the more personal and intimate impact of the events? Is she really at the hospital or has she disappeared? Why was she transfered out of the school?
>>
>hating Nanami epsiodes
>>
>>134506522
>Nanami
>underwhelming

OP confirmed for being a faggot
>>
>>134506569
>>134506720
Nanami a shit. A SHIT.
>>
>>134506522
There was no filler. There were no misused characters.
>>
Juri realized that she didn't want the revolution.
Akio's aim was to maintain the status quo, by staying inside Ootori gakuen forever.
Yup.
Both. Utena didn't bring the revolution, but she managed to end Akio's machinations by making Anthy able to abandon the school.
>>
>>134507444
that's such a surface level interpretation.

https://www.academia.edu/7487606/An_Idealist_Interpretation_of_Revolutionary_Girl_Utena
>>
>>134507444
You didn't dig deep enough.
>>
File: 1424596147696.jpg (16 KB, 251x144) Image search: [Google]
1424596147696.jpg
16 KB, 251x144
>>134507774
>The function of these structures, one as creative and the other as romantically climactic, neatly corresponds to their respective psycho-sexual imagery. The forbidden dueling arena is the sight of each episode's epee sword duel whose victor is rewarded with the possession of "the Rose Bride". These duels are decided when one duelist cuts the rose affixed to their opponent's breast. The steel swords are a recurring phallic symbol in the show, while the roses are recurring uterine symbols.
>>
File: Teacher+Author+Meaning.jpg (30 KB, 400x377) Image search: [Google]
Teacher+Author+Meaning.jpg
30 KB, 400x377
>>134507774
>>
>>134507932
>>134507980
reddit.com everybody
>>
>>134507980
Death of the author.

Aside from that, if you didn't think the show had symbolism then you watched it with your eyes closed.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.