[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tropes that you're tired of seeing or hate
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 9
File: 1445039713172.gif (1 MB, 316x195) Image search: [Google]
1445039713172.gif
1 MB, 316x195
I'll start.

"I must protect my friends so I will give it my all with my attacks (while explaining every attack) and then get struck down by surprise and get back up for a final attack routine to protect my friends I talk so fondly about" routine.

predictable plot where the characters with the most power / importance are the better looking and/or arrogant ones.
Where the closer our protagonists get to their goal the harder the enemy is to defeat.

Typical / boring development with a whiny girl claiming to love a protagonist.
>>
Rising aura means you're strong.
Being calm and always smiling means you're strong.
Physics doesn't apply to you because you're strong.
You're strong because you have had something vague happened to you. "I won't forgive you for 'that'." says the character. "that" being the tool that almost every shounen manga uses. Some lame tragedy.
>>
And this was my (autistic?) rant on a chapter (specific number that I've forgotten) of Rosario Vampire season 2. This was during the finale, where the protagonists fought the final guy alucard.

In this chapter Tsukune was fighting Moka's evil sister.
--------
. Generic fight, people to protect, magic swords (meh), lame "romantic" ending.

Spectators: "Oh no, Tsukune is getting stronger!"
"Oh no, he's getting EVEN stronger!"

Tsukune: "I'll beat you hurr durr."

Wheelchair guy: "Don't interfere Moka, he's got people to protect because that's what people do in mangas."

Gyokuro Shuzen: "Fufufu you think you can beat me? Come at me bro!"
*Tsukune attacks, she dodges. Generic battle scene ensues, nothing special.*

Wheelchair guy: "H-How can he have so much power?!" (A line used a billion times in (shounen) mangas.)

Gyokuro Shuzen: "Fufufu, you're powerful, okay then let me play with you!" *generic arrogance, lame power up, has copycat powers*
"Now I'll kill you with a generic scary expression!"

*Tsukune gets a magic sword (huehuehuehue) which just so happens to negate dimensional sword.*
*boring slash attack*

Gyokuro Shuzen: "H-he became EVEN STRONGER?!?!one!!1eleven1!??" (logic and pacing can go to hell now)

*tsukune's seal weakens - FORESHADOWING*
*they trade punches (meh) and Gyokuro Shuzen goes down with her ovaries burst, but is she dead? - FORESHADOWING AGAIN*

The main girl cries (oh yeah, NOW your heart's moved, you dumb bitch? Only took 100 chapters to notice his feelings?)
Main guy is sorta beaten up, falls into her arms, bright lights, they both hug. I swear a 16 year old tween could have thought of this ending, if not the entire typical story in this chapter.

Don't forget the foreshadowing, AND the main boss is still alive, so expect sacrifices and some more illogical moments.
>>
Every single instance of slapstick with a girl hurting a guy for a stupid reason or no reason at all.

And of course, always getting away with it or even rewarded for their violent behavior in the end.
>>
>>134471483
so retarded, i wonder why it's still allowed
>>
Side characters who are for comedic effect by being stupid and making the mc cool.
>>
>So...he's gonna use THAT move!
>THAT move?!
>Is this a new move?!
>No way!
>>
File: 2717874-character+(4).jpg (32 KB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
2717874-character+(4).jpg
32 KB, 320x320
>Pure girls

Foh Da Shi
>>
If a gag is in multiple series then it immediately becomes unfunny, regardless of whether or not it was originally any good.
>tsunderes
>constant punching of MC
>random breast groping and lewd falling
>power of friendship/love
>stupid circumstantial shit preventing MC from asking girl out
>powerful characters having irrational fears which are taken to an absurd level
>embarrassed/nervous girls stuttering
>etc.
>>
>>134472281
To be fair, it's a shit series.
>>
File: 1294843247144.jpg (139 KB, 540x720) Image search: [Google]
1294843247144.jpg
139 KB, 540x720
>He's preternaturally talented and capable of holding his own hardened veterans!
>But he only joined the magical skin-suit harem dojo tactical squadron after slamming his face into his childhood friend commander-sensei's tits this morning!
>>
>>134472971
>mc is a typically average high school guy with little luck finding a girlfriend
>he has given up all hope until...
>A SPECIAL / MAGICAL / WEIRD / CHILDHOOD FRIEND MEETS HIM AND SOMETHING INTERESTING HAPPENS NOW THE MC IS LIKED BY GIRLS
>>
>>134472823

>b-bb-b-bb-bb-betsuni!
With that said, it's only really bad if it's a character trait.
>>
How and why the fuck did "girl beats the crap out of guy for stupid reason all the time" even become such a common joke. Who does it appeal to exactly.
>>
>>134470756
>Where the closer our protagonists get to their goal the harder the enemy is to defeat.
Why is this a probelm
>>
>>134473519
Love Hina got popular
>>
>>134473684
It becomes extremely repetitive.

>>134473798
I wanted to know what the deal was with its popularity. So I read it. It's nothing special. Only the ending has any feeling to it.
Moreover the author based the character upon himself. Right down to the glasses.
>>
>>134473519
It has its origins in traditional Japanese comedy where the guy who says/does something stupid would get hit with a prop. Sometimes you'll see anime characters hit someone with a paper fan as an allusion to this.

Anime's first generation was inspired by western animators like Walt Disney and Tex Avery, who pretty much the Go Nagai of western animation, and the violence tended to be much more zany without lasting consequences. As such, even as anime trended towards more human rather than stylistically functional designs you still had characters get the shit kicked out of them as a punchline because it's so ingrained.
>>
>>134473884
>extremely repetitive
That goes for a lot of cliches. That one in particular makes sense if it's a fighting series
>>
File: The deadly Japanese cold.jpg (102 KB, 566x695) Image search: [Google]
The deadly Japanese cold.jpg
102 KB, 566x695
>Get wet or cold and don't take a hot bath afterwards
>Come down with a cold
Ignorant fuckers, a cold is a virus, catching it has nothing to do with whether you get wet or cold.

>Come down with a cold
>Take one or more days of school
Fucking slackers, I thought Nips were into education in a big way, but really you don't need to take time off of ANYTHING for a cold, it's just a fucking cold.
>>
File: 1439147020551.png (76 KB, 264x238) Image search: [Google]
1439147020551.png
76 KB, 264x238
>>134470756
this monster is 20 times stronger then a tank
guy beats it with no trouble
bad guy appears
bad guy is way stronger then good guy
train for a week and proceeds to beat bad guy after some flashbacks, powermove explanations and various NANI! or i must use THAT!
repeat step 3 x amount of times
bonus if they are just your avrage high school student
>>
>MC is ugly loser / beta / whatever

>MC isn't actually fucking ugly, no pimples, not fat, not a creepy fuck
>>
>>134475546
Fucking this. Not to mention the cross dressing guy is just as, if not more, attractive than actual women.
>>
>>134475104
I MUST PROTECT MY FRIENDS!!! UUUUUUUU.

And, NO CHARACTER gets their teeth broken in a fighting or delinquent manga, only a few of them are realistic enough.
>>
>>134473970
It may be ingrained but it's just a poorly implemented trope now.
>>
>>134476912
The same could be said of all anime's worst excesses.
>>
>>134476934
Old anime was better. Heidi the girl in the mountains and Trigun were excellent.
>>
Come on guys keep it going.
>>
>>134470756
We already have this fucking thread up, kill yourself.
>>
>>134476979
I know, sometimes I feel like I was born in the wrong generation.
>>
>>134477733
He will not do that
>>
>>134477790
He is correct.
My thread is better!
>>
>>134470756

Any power up that is emotion based
>>
>MC is a middle or high school student
>can fight full grown adults
>strength and victory due to friendship/love
>one character with disgusting giant cowtits
>tsunder loli character
>MC getting his shit pushed in by bad guy. then MC is all I'll now use my super secret move and win.
>show attempts to be deep with internal psudo-intellectual monologues.
>>
>>134478067
>show attempts to be deep with internal psudo-intellectual monologues.
"because..."
"sometimes in life..."
"struggling makes us strong..."
Lots of ellipses and middle school philosophy.
>>
>girl is careless
>guy walks in on her naked
>"waaah! hentai!"
>beats the shit out of him
>beta guy is all like "s-s-s-s-s-s-sorry I'll do anything to make it up"
>whore ends up falling in love with him because he's the first to see her naked

This, or when they somehow trip and fall together and her tits/ass end up on his face/hands.

I wish there would be at least one show where the guy tells the bitch to fuck off.
>>
>>134478067

"because..friends make us strong!"
then the villain goes
"NANI?!"
>>
>>134478761
Are the Japanese social retards?
>>
File: 1352947393337.jpg (176 KB, 1280x1920) Image search: [Google]
1352947393337.jpg
176 KB, 1280x1920
>>134478761
>"power of friendship"
>MC does all the work while his friends shout support and maybe shoot some kind of abstract friendship energy into him instead of grand finale involving everybody pooling their talents into an amazing coordinated effort
>>
>some misunderstanding happens and the mc can't explain it to the girl because he's retarded
>conflict ensues for over 20 chapters
>resolved by something as stupid
>>
>>134479391
I'm inclined to believe they have some form of it.
>>
>>134479657
>instead of grand finale involving everybody pooling their talents into an amazing coordinated effort

Remember that scene from DBZ where gohan and cell fired kamehameha beams and gohan was losing because only one of his arms functioned?

That was when everyone else lent him their energy by firing at cell but were blown away in that very typical anime like fashion, in a whirlwind, one after another.

While I'm at it, I wanted to rant a bit about anime fights even though it's not a trope.

1) when a clash occurs there's always a delay after which a blast or crater occurs.
2) same thing with energy blasts. Always a delay followed by multiple explosions which make no sense.
>>
>'tropes'
>incoherent grammar
>cancerous 9gag image
Lurk more before making a thread you fucking faggot.
>>
>>134471483
You're a fucking subhuman retard.
>>>/reddit/
>>
File: Tibbets-wave.jpg (205 KB, 1113x1376) Image search: [Google]
Tibbets-wave.jpg
205 KB, 1113x1376
>>134479960
I think it's an nuclear weapon thing, which, you know, the Japanese would be intimately familiar with.

Comparatively tiny little thing makes a little thud and maybe a sizable explosion, then suddenly there's a flash, there's heat and something wipes a city off the map? It's certainly a memorable sequence.

The other part is wuxia dramas, you know Japan, big on cannibalizing Chinese stuff and it was rife with those "clashes with a delay for dramatic effect."
>>
>>134474289
They take off because it's a bit more of a serious issue there, being the country with the second highest mortality from it. Also, if you almost never get sick, having even a mild cold can feel detrimental. All in all it's just a cultural thing.
>>
>>134480884
Have you even read the series?
>>
A boy falls in love with a girl.

Unable to confess, he is gifted by a deus ex machina with the girl's phone number. Never minding the strange area code, he immediately calls her, and is overjoyed to find out that she has a crush on him as well.

But, the next day, when he recounts the previous day's confessions to the girl, she only looks at him with a perplexed expression. After some investigation, he finds out that the girl he called is not the same girl he fell in love with. In fact, she doesn't exist in this universe at all. She is the girl's alternate universe counterpart, who has fallen in love with the MC's own AU self, who too is blissfully unaware of her crush.

Hijinks ensue as the two strike up a deal to give each other their darkest, most private secrets in order to equip the other with the weapons they need to conquer the heart of their other selves. While the two chase their respective loved ones, DRAMA ensues as they begin to fall in love with each other instead and question the NATURE of LOVE.
>>
File: 1447614806269.jpg (58 KB, 700x581) Image search: [Google]
1447614806269.jpg
58 KB, 700x581
>>134481860
This would get a serialisation but Mx0 gets cancelled.
>>
>vietnam war scene
"it ain't me starts playing
>>
Let's keep it going guys. This is very cathartic.
>>
>>134482116
>not "scrub thee deck when yee done john long silver" spin 360 and moonwalk away
worst dad ever
>>
>anime imageboard
>no mods
>>
>MC barely does a thing.
>Barely suffers the hardships of life(sure, one time something bad happens. but that's about it.)
>Gets hailed as a hero/hardworker/etc. Women are throwing themselves at him and world leaders / nobles are kissing his ass.
All the while
>Side-characters is working themselves to the bone day and night.
>Suffers through shit that would make anyone give up on life.
>Everyone looks at them with disgust, treat him like a punching bag, and just says he's trying too hard. And in the end barely achieving anything.

>This is all in the same series where the author says 'hard work pays off'
>>
>>134482248
I had CCR playing in the background for every episode of Young Black Jack's Vietnam arc anyway.
>>
>>134483460
>This is all in the same series where the author says 'hard work pays off'
Oh god I hate this the most. Especially when the author introduces the guy as an average joe, who can be anybody else. Except he has a important lineage/destiny/special powers/deus ex machina bullshit that makes the "everybody can do it if they try!" message less understanding as time progresses.

LN's are usually pretty trashy since they are filled to the brim with this kind of shit (especially with all the reincarnation trash popping up). Must be why I like Gifting so much since it parodies those stupid tropes for the most part.
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.