[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>best friend gets killed >millions of aliens have been
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4
File: goku cmon.png (881 KB, 1157x669) Image search: [Google]
goku cmon.png
881 KB, 1157x669
>best friend gets killed
>millions of aliens have been killed
>your entire race got killed
>give first aid to space-hitler

>some random brown kid's dad dies
>kill commander black without remorse
>>
>>134469435
Frieza is more like Space Stalin than Hitler.
>>
>Toriyama in charge of consistency
>>
Goku is just lazy
Killing Commander Black was easy because the robot suit exploded once he punched through it
He had to do a big ass fake Kamehameha to kill Freeza
>>
>>134469435
Because Freezer isn't black.
>>
>>134469435
>an adult
>a child
Wow
>>
>>134469435

Because the situation was completely different.

He's a child when he fights Commander Black, he's innocent and just wants to protect. The idea and concept of death, or ''going away'' to him is upsetting and confusing (His grandfather being the greatest example) so seeing it and witnessing it before his very eyes is really the only thing that sets him off and gets him bloodthirsty. Goku doesn't really care a gigantic ammount about all the Saiyans who died, but when he sees his best friend die before his eyes, he transforms into the legendary Super Saiyan.

However, as we see, Goku STILL spares Frieza some life after he murders his best friend. This is because, as Kai put it best: ''Your pride is already shot. I suppose in the end that's good enough for me" It's more of an issue with pride. He's an angry, proud Super Saiyan at this point, he wanted to see Frieza not only suffer psychologically, but also physically, too. Frieza's pride was what MADE him, and if giving him life is what, deep down, he knows will insult that pride further, it's better than killing him. It's destroying everything that Frieza ever was. It's a great turning point for his character. It's not like Toriyama was trying to say ''Oh, silly old Goku, he always chowed mercy!'' no, this was the first instance in which he does show mercy, and it just so happens to be space Hitler. Goku's matured into a man, and this saga was the perfect narrative to highlight this.

tl;dr The concept of death disturbed and upset Goku as a child (that's made that ubundantly clear many times in the story) so it had a greater impact on him. Goku as an adult has grown, and his mercy is a sign of his maturity and growth as a character.

holy fuck why did i write so much
>>
>>134470205
>no, this was the first instance in which he does show mercy
What is vegeta
what is the ginyu force
>>
>>134470341

No, this is still the first time Goku shows real mercy.

If you remember, Goku spared Vegeta's life simply because he wanted to fight him again. It wasn't mercy out of pity or kindness, it was literally ''ugga ugga me never fought such strong man! me fight strong man again so me get strong too!"

The shitty Funimation dub butchered it and made it into ''Gee, maybe he'll turn good maybe!" but the manga/Kai corrected it.

I don't remember Goku showing mercy to anyone in the Ginyu force that had previously done anything to hurt anyone before. An eye for an eye.
>>
>>134470499
You're nitpicking here. Goku has shown mercy before Frieza, several times.

If you want to arg ue that it's not mercy because he gets something out of it, you just said the same thing about frieza, therefore you're claiming that goku, up until frieza, has never shown mercy to his opponents, which is stupid.

If you call sparing the lives of people that were responsible for nearly murdering your friends, and snapping your sons neck not mercy, then what the hell is it?
>>
>>134469435

Goku likes to fight and learned that if bad guys come back then he'll get even bigger fights.
>>
File: 6 (2).jpg (183 KB, 728x1092) Image search: [Google]
6 (2).jpg
183 KB, 728x1092
Literally all Frieza had to do was fly up into space and then when Goku's spaceship left and the planet exploded, shoot a pea-sized hole through the hull.
He'd win. Just like that.
>>
>>134470731
this tbphwy, famo
>>
>>134470839
Goku isn't a hero or a nice guy just a bigger pervert than vegeta who orgasms at bigger and better fights.
He is the ultimate saiyan and vegeta was a retard for not realizing he wasn't really "a kindhearted saiyan"
>>
>>134470580

When did Goku spare the lives of any of the Ginyu force? The only time I actually remember anything similar happening is when Vegeta kills Jeice, and Goku dissaproves because Jeice didn't kill anyone or do anything.

Racoome breaks Gohan's neck, Goku kills Racoome with a supercharged punch. What's the problem? No mercy there.

And no, Goku does not get anything out of showing mercy to Frieza except perhaps a feeling of superiority. I don't know what you're trying to say.
>>
File: 1369780722052.png (331 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1369780722052.png
331 KB, 640x480
Goku killed everything and every villain before training with Kami. Kami was the one that taught him how to restrain his feelings more and made his saiyan side more dormant, he was meant to be the next Earth Guardian so Kami tried to make his personality more passive. He didn't directly kill anyone after it starting with Piccolo.
>>
>>134471112
>tfw the god of earth is never a human

damn xenos stealing our deity jobs
>>
>>134471283
>tfw Krillan or Tien will never be the kami of earth

Tien would fit the bill best, but have Krillan be god would just feel right.
>>
>>134469435
Goku used to be ruthless
He killed Demon Piccolo too

I'm not a big fan of his character development when he grows up

Same shit happened to Vegeta(though Vegeta also turned from Evil to Good so it's very different)
He used to be ruthless killing people left and right in Namek(god those were the fucking days) then he turned into a soft faggot and became uninteresting
>>
>>134471042

What show were you watching?

The only characters that Goku killed in DBZ were Yakon and Buu.
>>
>>134470499
>I don't remember Goku showing mercy to anyone in the Ginyu force
You have short-term memory

Vegeta kills Burter and Recoome(when they're on the floor defeated) before Goku has a chance to stop him and there's a clear reaction from Goku that he didn't want to kill them
>>
>>134470823
"Survive and maybe you'll learn the value of life..."
Jesus Christ this doesn't sound like Goku at all
He sounds way too sophisticated
It's like AT completely forgot how to write Goku from this point onwards
>>
>>134471112
He didn't kill Pilaf or General Blue
>>
>>134472085
or Tao Pai Pai for that matter
>>
>>134469435
That's because Frieza wasn't black.
>>
>>134469677
This
>>
>>134472138
kek
>>
File: 13 (2).jpg (189 KB, 728x1092) Image search: [Google]
13 (2).jpg
189 KB, 728x1092
>>134472028
He became a super saiyan and it caused his brain to un-retardify.

>tfw we'll never see what he was doin on YARDRAT
bet he fucked a lotta bitches because that's the only time gap that nothing in the DBZ universe attempts to fill
>>
>>134472187
>that angular art style in the Android/Cell Saga
so ugly
>>
>>134472427
It didn't really get that bad until Buu saga
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.