[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do people like Puella Magi Madoka Magica? Before watching
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 128
Thread images: 13
File: mad.jpg (253 KB, 1400x1050) Image search: [Google]
mad.jpg
253 KB, 1400x1050
Why do people like Puella Magi Madoka Magica?
Before watching everything that I read about it stated that it was one of the best anime of all time and about how dark and deep it is.
I hated the characters and found it boring, but I carried on watching because a lot of sources said that once you get to episode 3 shit starts popping off and it gets very dark.

All that happened was some bitch died . It also did not seem as deep as I had expected it to as it got compared to serials experiment lain and evangelion a lot.
>>
The yuri subtext.
>>
I think the actual reason they like it is the contrast.
>>
Watch Rebellion that's when it actually gets good.
>>
>>134464339
This. Its a decent twist on the magical girl genre but as a standalone its not really that amazing.
>>
>>134464199

Funny you say that OP, I just finished the series and movies last night.

It is pretty Eva tier on the visual (read: beyond reasonable comprehension), more so in my opinion.

I still enjoyed it for what it was but this is /a/, and that is not a safe opinion to have.

>All that happened was some bitch died

heh
>>
>>134464199
>deep

People should stop using that word.
>>
>>134464199
Baby's first mahou shoujo. It's very generic though.
>>
The characters are good, the art design & atmosphere is great, the soundtrack is great (if perhaps a bit samey if you've heard the composer's work before), the simple story of obsession is well done

It's a good anime

I don't get why everyone is so butthurt. It seems especially stupid that magical girl fags despise it despite being the first show in a while to break from the standard format. Do people really love watching the same thing over and over? Why watch more than one series then?
>>
File: OkfHJCq.png (194 KB, 478x380) Image search: [Google]
OkfHJCq.png
194 KB, 478x380
>>134464199
>>134464339
>>134464369
>>134464430
The imageboard who think that OPM is a masterpiece talking shit about madoka
>>
>>134464567
No, I think its great. I just don't see it as being the greatest of all time.
The visuals in particular were god-tier though.
>>
>>134464567
because it is a master piece nigga.
>>
A lot of people like it because its something we're not used to, especially when it comes to magical girls. People are used to sunshine, the power of friendship saving the day, and overcoming every challenge. Madoka kind of went "nope, let them suffer though all this shit over wishes". and thats about it. Nice change up if nothing else.
>>
File: U8D.jpg (67 KB, 725x408) Image search: [Google]
U8D.jpg
67 KB, 725x408
>>134464567
The person who can't refute shit and has to bring down other series to elevate their own.
>>
>>134464655
That's almost entirely due to the art.
>>
>>134464535
> It seems especially stupid that magical girl fags despise it despite being the first show in a while to break from the standard format.
but it isn't though, that's why people hate it, because people think this and it isn't true.
>>
>>134464659
so basically, people who have no idea what magical girl shows are actually like and just judge the genre based on their preconceived notions of what they *think* it's like are the people who love this show. that actually makes sense.
>>
>>134465279
It absolutely did though. Please keep telling yourself its the same because it shares a genre
>>
>>134464535
It didn't break the format. In fact, the ending was a Sailor Moon homage.
>>
>>134465415
prove it. give me one example of something this show did that hasn't been done before. in fact a lot of the things it did that people praised as "subversive" are actually common magical girl staples.
>>
>>134464659
Don't say "we". I haven't seen a " normal" magical girl show since cardcaptors. Pretty much every magical girl show since has been trying to subvert the genre in different ways. Madoka going the alien 9 route isn't going to make it feel new and refreshing.
>>
>>134465567
The time travel centric plot line. Suck a dick
>>
>>134465631
been done. besides, that's a giant cliche in itself.
>>
>>134464535
>being the first show in a while to break from the standard format
>>
>>134465654
Name it in a magical girl show you ass hat.
>>
>>134464567
Both are ok series overrated by normalfags who don't watch much anime.
>>
>>134465567

Name me one show that hasn't used tropes.
>>
>>134464199
I praised the original series but I'm watching the third movie now and goddamn are the characters annoying. And Mami comes off as a pompous cunt.

It's still one of the better series in recent memory. It told a concise story without any glaring flaws which is more than I can say for most shows.
>>
>>134465719
doesn't matter. gluing a cliche concept onto another equally cliche concept doesn't make it magically turn into one original, well conceived idea.
>>
>>134465785
>reads tvtropes
there's your problem. it's a shit way to look at media.
>>
>>134465719
Sailor Moon did it several times.
>>
>>134465833
Hahahaha get fucked you dumb ass. Can't even name one despite claiming it.
>>
Am I the only one who watched Madoka because of Homerun?
>>
>>134465833
That's like calling the Air Bud franchise unoriginal because there have been films about dogs and films about sports in the past.

I hope you're just being a shitter in order to combat people who think Modoka is the most original thing ever because your example sucks.
>>
>>134465918
try debunking the point next time, moron. explain how bashing cliche A into cliche B somehow makes something cutting-edge and gamechanging.
>>
>>134464199
Name an anime that does Faust better than Madoka, that uses dadaism with special effects better than Gekidan Inu Curry does in Madoka, that incorporates a basic understanding of real world science and literature to add immersion better than Madoka, supported by an all-star voice acting cast, classical music thanks to Kajiura and the late Bach, lovable character designs from Ume, and done in a way that is appreciable by anyone of any age.

Oh wait you can't, because there aren't any, which is why people like Madoka. Stop comparing anime to the depth of other mediums.
>>
>>134465952
yes, it kind of is. air bud is not an original movie in the slightest.
>>
File: HEg3BpR.jpg (48 KB, 381x545) Image search: [Google]
HEg3BpR.jpg
48 KB, 381x545
>>134464199
New Art for the concept movie
>>
>>134465952
Nobody here thinks Madoka is original

Kill yourself
>>
>>134465999
Ah, so you're just being a shitter then.
>>
>muh suffering
>muh speculah
>muh cultural phenonmon
>muh yuri
>muh dark magic girl
>muh evangelion of anime

Take your pick.
>>
>>134466020
That post was in response to someone who said it is, fuck off.
>>
Madoka Magica is just Evangelion Light for moefags
In other words, perfect for /a/
>>
>>134466021
>implying that air bud is an original movie
wow, people like you actually exist?
>>
>>134466044
I'm not seeing anything that says 'Madoka is original'

I think your asshurt might be clouding your eye sight
>>
File: 51PhcNvnvXL._SX940_.jpg (43 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
51PhcNvnvXL._SX940_.jpg
43 KB, 500x375
>>134466005
No matter how hard you tried you'll never be better than Princess Tutu, Madoka.
>>
>>134464199
It was original anime and had a something that can be called a plot unlike K-on or any other LNshit
>>
>>134466075
I can assure that moefags have far more problems with Madoka than they do with NGE.
>>
>>134465719
sailor moon.
>>
File: 1446476663829.gif (568 KB, 240x291) Image search: [Google]
1446476663829.gif
568 KB, 240x291
>>134466173
>plotfags
>>
>>134464199
It gets too much hype, it wasn't that great. And no, the movie isn't way better or anything. Literally the only reason it became popular was because it was SO FUCKING SHOCKING that characters died in this magical girl animu. Even though literally no characters wind up dead in the entire fucking show, they all get deus ex machinad. The story is not well put together, the characters are flat. The art is obviously good.
>>
>>134466089
>>134464535
>It seems especially stupid that magical girl fags despise it despite being the first show in a while to break from the standard format.
Learn to read, learn reading comprehension, and then fuck off.
>>
>>134465982
Madoka is more surrealist than dada.
>>
>>134465982
Berserk did faust better than madoka. Hell even death note did it better.
>>
>>134466209
>caring about plot in a medium used mostly for storytelling makes you a 'plotfag'
Oh boy, just because you like garbage doesn't mean everyone else is wrong for wanting more.
>>
>>134466173
K-On had much better characters and storytelling than Madoshit.
>>
>>134466251
>death note

KILL
YOURSELF
>>
>>134466218
Where does that imply original, moron? Breaking from the format could mean

We make A anime, one time we made B anime, now we make A, more A, more A, then one B again

The first to break from format in a while

Rub some cream on that rump of yours
>>
Madoka and everything else by Shaft is boring, pretentious garbage that people pretend to like because they think people will find them cooler for liking "mature" anime. If you are an actual ""fan"" of Shaft and their garbage shows it proves that you are one of these tryhard losers that doesnt actually have any real friends or people sho look up to you. WOW LOOK AT THIS GUY! HE LIKES COOL CAMERA SHOT HEAD TILT EDGY SHAFT SHOW NO. 49 WHAT A COOL GUY! I BET HE HAS FRIENDS! Yeah no fuck off.

You can't argue with this.
>>
>>134466173
What was original about it?
The fact that some loli died within the first 3 episodes?
>>
File: 1441723639456.gif (259 KB, 500x354) Image search: [Google]
1441723639456.gif
259 KB, 500x354
>>134466256
>unironically being a plotfag
Pathetic
>>
>>134466276
You're trying too hard to fit in
>>
>>134466279
>being a shitter just so you can argue some more
>lacking basic comprehension
It's one or the other and either way you need to stop.
>>
>>134466310
no, I'm not

You should kill yourself for unironically using Death Note as an example of anything, it's fucking embarrassing.
>>
>>134466329
>WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH
What a pathetic fucking post

What a pathetic fucking poster
>>
>>134464567
at least OPM is entertaining
>>
What's so shocking or original about a late night anime killing characters? Ojamajo Doremi killing the little girl with cancer, that was shocking.
>>
>>134464567
>Madokafags acting like their show isn't for newfags just as much as OPM is
>>
>>134466409
Nobody said it was shocking, that particular episode was given was people had assumed the show to be.

And it's relatively original for a magic girl concept. The issue is everyone claiming it's absolutely not original have zero experience with that genre.
>>
>>134466370
Go back to reddit, retard.
>>
>>134466470
*given what
>>
>>134466209
>>134466300
I'm not even the anon you were replying to, but people like you really make me lose my shit. The only one pathetic here is you. Who gives a fuck about the life of some random anime girls? It's not even fantasy, it's just regular anime girls doing regular things. Ah, yeah, YOU give a fuck. You have already given up on life and the only things you do is watch this crap to imagine that you're one of the little cute girls. No you are not. You are just cancer and the entire world would be better like you. Why the fuck are you even her-
wait, I'm on /a/. Shit, my bad, nevermind, i are a dumb newfag xd
>>
File: 1444372204942.jpg (28 KB, 418x396) Image search: [Google]
1444372204942.jpg
28 KB, 418x396
>>134466504
>plotfags
>>
>>134466504
Autism at its finest.
>>
>>134466470
haha bullshit. sympathetic characters being killed off is absolutely NOT original in magical girl shows, even those aimed towards children.
>>
>>134464199

Because it came at the tail end of a trend of hardcore moe domination in the industry and was probably the first violent "adult" thing a lot of people watched. It also has tons of otaku cred coming from a couple of guys that used to work in eroge which makes it even more "adult". It also helped that it wasn't terrible or anything, arguably quite good. So yeah essentially it ended up being a gateway anime for a lot of people.
>>
>>134466504
can we make this a meme
>>
>>134466587
>sympathetic characters being killed off is absolutely NOT original in magical girl shows
It did not say that's what made it original.

Regardless, you either suck at reading or have incredibly narrow thinking to where you won't allow yourself to see anything beyond "hurdur people DIE when dey are killed!". If that's all you take away from the show then it's probably not for you to begin with.
>>
It been 5 year and people still butthurt about the popular of Madoka!!! and back then people said it will not be remember for long time
>>
Reminder that Madoka is not in any way actually profound and if you think so you're probably a dumbass
>>
>>134466389

Urobuchi stories didn't really start getting droning, completely overwrought and overtly cynical until Fate/Zero became popular. Of course the last time he was really actively involved in any sort of new franchise or project was Psycho Pass but man did he ever take the worst of his original medium going into Rebellion.
>>
>>134464567
Both are decent shows
>>
>>134466750
Reminder that nobody thinks it is profound and if you assume they do just because of the praise they give it, you are most likely a dumb philistine.
>>
>>134466656
Yes
>>
>>134464535
>The characters are good, the art design & atmosphere is great, the soundtrack is great
You see, people always say this and that's why I watched it, the problem is that most of what you said is simply not true.

>The characters are good
False, in fact they are the worse thing about this show.

>the art design (...) is great
It was alright. The witch labyrinths were great though.

>atmosphere is great
It's what this series did the best, yes.

>the soundtrack is great
It was okay. It helps that the songs were all used in proper contexts.

What really drags it down for me are the characters. The rest was mostly good enough, it's a solid decent show.

Friendly reminder that this post is nothing more than opinions.
>>
>>134466667
Yes, you did.
>Nobody said it was shocking, that particular episode was given was people had assumed the show to be. And it's relatively original for a magic girl concept

seems pretty clear to me what you said.
>>
>>134466797
Reminder if you don't think there are moronic viewers that see bullshit as being deep you're a wishful thinking idealist and I almost envy you.
>>
>>134466960
"It" meaning the show in general, not that 1 scene of a girl dying. The two points are on separate lines for a reason.
>>
>>134467026
then don't use "and" to start a sentence, that word is used to join two sentences when they are about the same concept. lrn 2 grammar.
>>
>>134464199
>getting spoiled
>marathoning it
>comparing it to eva and lain shit

No wonder you didn't like it. You are fucking moron.
>>
>>134466956
>the characters are bad
We've had a thread last time discussing about the characters and we came to the conclusion that being "plot devices" doesn't make them bad characters. They can be called "plot devices" because the plot (or "the hand of the writer") is omnipresent and oppressive. If anything, Madoka's characters aren't worse than some of the best anime's around and I could prove it to you. Of course, they are not fucking Eva-tier, but Eva is a character-centered anime in which nobody gave a fuck about the plot.
>>
>>134464199
It is a good show, not the greatest (that's K-on!), but quite good.
>>
File: SmugTaigaEP2.jpg (230 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
SmugTaigaEP2.jpg
230 KB, 1920x1080
>>134464655
Are you serious? Now I know you're retarded.
>>
>Before watching everything that I read about it stated that it was one of the best anime of all time and about how dark and deep it is.

people dont see that this is the fucking problem. you listen to others opinion instead of watching it first then do your own speculation.
>>
>>134467203
I highly doubt he straight up saw someone use that exact reasoning as to why it's good. He's most likely going off of what shitposters claim fans think, which is equally as problematic.
>>
>>134467146
Them being plot devices is not what makes the bad characters. They're bad characters because they are incredibly simple and have no interesting personal or interpersonal conflicts. They function effectively enough within their story but don't really feel like real people.
>>
>>134467259
>no interesting personal or interpersonal conflicts
>>134467259
I found the girl who eats all the time to have an interesting personal conflict.
>>
File: 1435741356448.jpg (60 KB, 720x698) Image search: [Google]
1435741356448.jpg
60 KB, 720x698
ITT we learn that the two guys who are obsessed with mahou shoujo are absolute faggots
>>
>>134467321
It isn't horrible but it's still both incredibly simple and incredibly predictable.
>>
>>134464199
Same reason why people liked Higurashi, they pretend watching gory shit makes them mature.
>>
>>134467338
There's a lot more than two madoka fans friendo
>>
>>134467461
Yeah there's at least 6.
>>
>>134467259
>have no interpersonal conflicts
You wot m8? This was one of the biggest points of the anime. Between the internal conflict about becoming or not a MG despite knowing about the risks, Madoka angsting on and on about Sayaka but being stopped by Homura a lot of times, Sayaka's internal conflict because of her state, how Madoka could change it all, her innate hatred of Homura's attitude, her acknowledging that her wish was nothing but a way for her to manipulate Kyousuke and that she's a hypocrite for pretending to justice, Kyouko's way of doing things contrasting with Sayaka's and the discussion that ensues, only to prove Sayaka's stubbornness too strong, and so on. I could make a huge ass post about the character conflicts in the anime. Whether or not they touched is a thing, but don't go around and say there are none, you'll just pass for an idiot.
>>
>oh man this pink blob is so bland, I want to punch her in the face
>the busty blonde is dead, whoop dee doo look at how much I care, maybe if she had gotten some meaningful development before this happened I would
>"wahh wahh I'm a fucking zombie because my soul is a physical object outside my body"
what the fuck is this crap, what 14 year old- no, what person of any age and gender would make a fuss about something like this? It's not like they knew they had a soul or something similar before contracting for fucks sake
>I'M THE HERO OF JUSTICE oh the musicfag doesn't care about me I better die and call it a day
>hurr look at this time-traveling edgelord, what a twist
>the edgelord became like that because she was so fixated on saving the useless pink girl that was nice to her once, jesus fuck how clingy can you get
>the mascot is actually AN ALIEN FROM SPACE and they are responsible of human development, they also harvest energy from little girls
>meduka become kami 10/10 ending amazing masterpiece of the ages
>>
>>134467259
I felt like there was just not enough of a reason to care about most characters. The only girl that actually elicited an emotional response from me was Sayaka, I felt for her.
The biggest mystery for me is people's attachment to Mami, it's like those Symphogear fans that cling to Kanade. We're barely given any time to learn them, it's quite hard for me to understand why I was supposed to feel extremely bad for them. I mean sure, their deaths were sad, but that's just how it is. It's like expecting me to suddenly feel bad for Kuramae in Fafner's first episode. Before watching Right of Left and realising how fucking horrible everything went for Kuramae
>>
>>134464567
The retards who think OPM is good are the same retards who love Madoka and invaded this board in 2011.
>>
>>134467578
Kanade was only on screen for half an episode. Mami was developed through more than 2 episodes. Even between those 2, there's a huge difference.
>>
>>134467531
You missed the word "interesting." Yes, the conflicts are there, but they are incredibly simple. Basically every interpersonal conflict boils down to "I don't like you because our ideals are different" and then they either learn to get along or they don't.
>>
File: 1449373973758.png (170 KB, 239x296) Image search: [Google]
1449373973758.png
170 KB, 239x296
>>134465570
>cardcaptors
Can we forget about that shitty dub already
>>
>>134467788
>Basically every interpersonal conflict boils down to "I don't like you because our ideals are different"
Wait, are you telling me that's not every interpersonal conflict ever since the beginning of times?
>>
>>134466126
Literally this.
>>
>>134467788
Not him, but what other interpersonal conflicts there are? Every personal relationship boils down to people liking or disliking each other, often because their differing ideas. If we talked business relations, it might be something else, but you shouldn't expect something like that from high-school settings.
>>
>>134467992
>>134468047
No. You can agree with someone's ideals but disagree with their methods of reaching or executing those ideals. You can generally like someone but be put off by a specific action of theirs. You can have a falling out with a person who you usually get along with. And that's just scratching the surface.
>>
>>134468087
You were talking about conflicts not general interpersonal interactions. Taht'S something completely different.
>>
>>134465982
What? Who... Who... cares... Huh?

Who gives a shit? The story was a fucking mess. It all felt completely arbitrary and not grounded in any kind of world. It was literally just random shitty things happening to one-dimensional characters. Who cares about the cast or the score when the story is satisfactory at best?
>>
>>134468121
How so? Are the things I just mentioned not conflicts in-between people?
>>
>>134468087
>You can agree with someone's ideals but disagree with their methods of reaching or executing those ideals. You can generally like someone but be put off by a specific action of theirs.
Isn't that precisely what happened with Sayaka and Kyouko after the bridge scene and during the flashback? Sayaka accepted Kyouko's ideals but she never embraced them despite them being sworn enemies at first. And Kyouko obviously liked Sayaka herself but heavily disliked her self-destructive tendencies, or she would have never sacrificed herself.

>You can have a falling out with a person who you usually get along with
See Madoka and Sayaka.
>>
I'd just like to know why people like Homura so much. Don"t get me wrong, I don't hate her but she just seems so dull. Her attachment to Madoka feels so one note I couldn't even give a damn about her when watching Rebellion. On the other hand, Sayaka and Kyouko's reunion made me tear up. Which is weird since I didn't really care about them much either when watching the TV seties.
>>
>>134468134
>What? Who... Who... cares... Huh?
Madoka's mediocre, but you need to kill yourself.
>>
>>134468134
>What? Who... Who... cares... Huh?

Stop posting
>>
>>134468223
I might be exaggerating a bit, it's been a little while since I watched the series.
The bigger problem is that the motivation for these conflicts is overtly simple as well. Their reasons for taking specific actions are completely one note.
>>
>>134468165
I would argue that interpersonal conflict is something more that mirror everyday disagreement. It can result in complete breakdown of balanced relationship if no compromise is found. And I'd say that a will to find a compromise is mostly based around how much you like the person you're in conflict with.
>>
File: 1449462433179.png (7 KB, 274x242) Image search: [Google]
1449462433179.png
7 KB, 274x242
>>134464199
I like the art style, the characters, didn't feel any episode was wasted and I liked the ending.
>>
>>134469961
>reddit image
>>
>>134464369
It's not the first, or best, twist on magical girl shows.
>>
File: get.jpg (19 KB, 500x346) Image search: [Google]
get.jpg
19 KB, 500x346
>>134470035
How do you know it's reddit, anon?
>>
>>134464659
"Something we're not used to" only applies if the only other magical girl shows you've seen were a few episodes of the awful English dubs of Sailor Moon and Cardcaptor Sakura as a kid.
>>
>>134470054
What's the best twist?
Thread replies: 128
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.