[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Monogatari series
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 13
File: pat the snailfu.jpg (162 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
pat the snailfu.jpg
162 KB, 1920x1080
Can someone explain to a filthy anime only outside of reading kizu.

I was kind of spoiled on that but why did Hachikuji end up in hell?

I mean Araragi used Gaen's knowledge to make her go the afterlife/pass on before the darkness can get her, right? So how come she's in hell. Did Araragi not think of the possibility that this is a thing? He could at least ask or wonder about that.

And what was the reason for it? Did she do something bad? Is it because she's a ghost? Because she became an oddity? Didn't choose to pass on before when was given the chance? Or was it the only way and Gaen tricked Araragi in doing so and knew that? Or is there just no reason stated at all and it's a plot device for her being there and Araragi saving her.

Doesn't make much sense to me how in the hell, no pun intended, that development happened.

Sorry if this looks like a certified CIA file.
>>
File: 1449128817874.jpg (46 KB, 470x471) Image search: [Google]
1449128817874.jpg
46 KB, 470x471
>>134458932
Do you not remember why the darkness was chasing shinobu? hello?
>>
>complains about one piece and naruto being cancer
>watch degenerate shows like monogatari series and oreimo
Never change, /a/
>>
>>134458990
Something with her being praised as a god?
I don't actually remember, it's been awhile since I watched oni.
>>
>>134458932
>OP post that looks like a classified government document
>implying /a/ cares about spoilers
>only watching Bakemonogatari now
Hello there! You seem to be new to anime and 4chan in general. How long have you been here?
>>
>>134459186
>OP post that looks like a classified government document
I apologized for that in advance.
>implying /a/ cares about spoilers
I care so it's irrelevant.
>only watching Bakemonogatari now
You deduced that how exactly? Because it's incorrect.

So essentially you have no point whatsoever.
Still if you know the answer to my question that would be nice.
>>
Everyone goes to hell in Shinto, whether you were a good person or not. It's called Yomi, and it's not really hell as such, just a dark land where souls roam around.
>>
>>134459305
What a great incentive for wayward souls to pass on.
>>
>>134458932
It's because of this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kshitigarbha#In_Japan
>In Japanese mythology, it is said that the souls of children who die before their parents are unable to cross the mythical Sanzu River on their way to the afterlife because they have not had the chance to accumulate enough good deeds and because they have made the parents suffer.
>>
>>134459281
We generaly don't care about spoilers so it's relevant. And you also did not answer my questions.
>>
>>134459336
Wow, good job Shinto gods. Fucking pricks.
>>
>>134459376
It's actually more of a Buddhist part of their mythology. That page I linked is about a bodhisattva.
>>
File: catch the snail.jpg (114 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
catch the snail.jpg
114 KB, 1920x1080
>>134459305
Oh, right, I didn't think of that.
Makes sense I guess.

>>134459336
Damn Shinto is pretty brutal.

Well, thanks.
>>
>>134459409
Ah, thanks.

Good job, Buddha.
>>
Last owari episode was really nice, they stepped up their reference game again, almost like I was watching a zetsubou sensei parody.
>>
>>134458932
King of Hell is present in Asian mythology.

There are many levels of Hell in certain Asian mythology.

Snail might just be in purgatory so just fucking chill.

Fucking Dante and his fucking fanfiction and Hollywood make everyone think Dante's Inferno is Biblical canon, making people like OP imagining Snail is fucking being burned above a magma pit right now.
>>
>>134459783
>making people like OP imagining Snail is fucking being burned above a magma pit right now
I mean that is the general representation, if you namedrop hell most of the people will associate it with that without thinking too much. Because that would actually be illogical, kind of. The point is, that's a foreign concept misrepresented due to it's synonymous nature, pretty misleading.
Especially on a christian imageboard.
>>
>>134459376
The Shinto gods really aren't good in any sense of the word, according to Japanese mythology. Also, the Japanese people are supposedly their descendants
>>
File: very christian.png (409 KB, 720x720) Image search: [Google]
very christian.png
409 KB, 720x720
>>134459842
>christian imageboard
>>134459981
No wonder they're xenophobic fucks.
>>
>>134459093
Monogatari is actually a good series though, you missed that point.
>>
>>134458932
She's a semen demon, it's where she belongs.
>>
>>134461067
So is Naruto though and people still whine about that
>>
>>134461186
It's not, it's objectively pretty bad, at least the anime, too much filler, way too much filler, every trope in existence, and asspulls galore.

Monogatari avoids all of that because it doesn't actually have a plot, or at least it pretends not to, it's just people talking, can't fuck that up.
>>
>>134461397
Where is the interest in people monotonously talking for an episode? Also if there is no plot then doesn't that mean every episode is filler?
At least Naruto has decent action
>>
File: 1448747296394.webm (97 KB, 610x540) Image search: [Google]
1448747296394.webm
97 KB, 610x540
Time to go and rewatch Oni, anon
>>
>>134461525
Watching Oni doesn't really explain to you that "to pass on" for japs means to go to hell.
>>
>>134461887
It doesn't. Araragi was surprised she went to hell, although he did know about Sai no Kawara once reminded.
>>
File: cheers.jpg (115 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
cheers.jpg
115 KB, 1920x1080
>>134461446
>Where is the interest in people monotonously talking for an episode?
Considering this is the best selling show topping every chart in popularity for 6 years, I'd say there is an interest in that.
>Also if there is no plot then doesn't that mean every episode is filler?
No, why would it mean that? Having plot is not a prerequisite to be a piece of fiction, people find value in it.
And by plot I mean the general story I guess, the series is more about the lore, so it has plot only does it differently.
Because of that approach it bypasses any possibility to fuck it up outside of actual mistakes in writing.
Which Nisio haven't made thus far.
Naruto's story execution is flawed and it;s just a really bad show on most terms, objectively. Sure people like it, but it's very specific, read no taste, or they haven't realized how bad it is yet. It will happen eventually though if you keep increasing your knowledge base, but if you're stuck with it and not a very bright person you can still fanboy over it when you're 50.

tl;dr
Nisio is actually a good writer, who can make a witty and entertaining story based on mundane occasions and dialogue, the OST and the adaptation direction from an experience in abstract and extravagant shows team only add up to that, makes for a really nice fusion considering nisio's ordinary comedic style

Kishi isn't a good writer, he just has an idea and makes shit up on place without really knowing what to do with it.
He's just a mediocre artist who made it big with chuuni plot by a miracle and pioneered the terrible shounen we all grew to know, he wasn't the first but he popularized it to this degree outside of japan.
>>
>>134458932
Serious answer: the Buddhist Afterlife has a minor hell reserved for children who died before their parents. Making your parents sad is a sin. It isn't a painful place and nothing bad happens. And knowing Buddhist hells and how it works the stay in that hell is temporary.

Shinto hell is a separate thing and works more like the Greece Afterlife. Everyone who dies go there, even gods, and there is no punishmet or reward. It is just where the dead go.

In general the Japanese choose Buddhist funerals because Buddhism offers a better afterlife.
>>
>>134462151
>Considering this is the best selling show topping every chart in popularity for 6 years
Then why do my friends only talk about Naruto?
>he just has an idea and makes shit up on place without really knowing what to do with it
Yet despite that he still manages to create exciting content which millions across the world love. If that isn't a sign of a great writer, then I don't know what is
>>
>>134462252
>It isn't a painful place and nothing bad happens.
They are tormented and made to pile stones by oni such as Datsue-ba until Jizo rescues them.

Hachikuji says she'd like Araragi to experience it for a day so he'd appreciate how lucky he is to be able to return to life.
>>
>>134462351
>Then why do my friends only talk about Naruto?
That's not an argument, how does your circle of friends represents anything at all?
>Yet despite that he still manages to create exciting content which millions across the world love. If that isn't a sign of a great writer, then I don't know what is
This is subjective, you can love anything you want in whatever quantity but you can also approach work from a critical standpoint.
The actual depth of his writing is extremely shallow, if you want to understand it better I suggest starting with the basics of the text analysis, structuring, and related content. There was some Murakami works breakdown somewhere that expresses this point really well.

Nisio is a much more competent and experienced writer.
>>
>>134461397
Monogatari has a plot, the presentation is just character focused and each character has it's own story happening in parallel with one character in the center.
>>
>>134462476
Shit, did they make snail pile stones?
The sick bastards, I want to see that.
>>
>>134459365
Speak for your fucking self
>>
>>134462252
>temporary

I remenber hearing that on the kindest ring of "hell" your soul stays there for so long that the time can be compared to how long it would take if you had a barrel full of seeds and had to empty it taking one seed every 100 years. Sure it's temporary, but it's a fuckton of time.
>>
>>134462704
>I remenber hearing that on the kindest ring of "hell" your soul stays there for so long that the time can be compared to how long it would take if you had a barrel full of seeds and had to empty it taking one seed every 100 years. Sure it's temporary, but it's a fuckton of time.
There is also suppose to be measures to shorten that stay. Basically a large part of the Buddhist traditions is to make the souls of the departed more comfortable or have their sentence decreased. Buddhist hells work like actual legal systems.
>>
>>134462525
>This is subjective, you can love anything you want in whatever quantity
Statistics don't lie and are a completely objective measure, Naruto is still popular and profitable despite the manga having run for 15 years and the anime still airing after 13. The manga has sold over 130 million copies in Japan alone, more than the entire population of the country. It has also seen success in America where is has been labelled on multiple occasions as the most profitable manga in the country. This shows how it is liked across multiple cultures, something which is usually a serious issue for such publications especially given that it is in a media which is not typical of the West.
Likewise the anime has consistently appeared in top lists of anime and even all animated TV shows, showing its popularity is not limited to a single medium.
>you can also approach work from a critical standpoint
A critical standpoint is exactly what you previously derided me on: A subjective argument. Different critics have different views on these topics based on their preferences, showing the inherent flaws in such discussions. It should also be noted that Naruto has seen plenty of praise from critics, some of which is on Wikipedia if you are interested.

Stop deluding yourself, Naruto is both popular and good writing
>>
>>134462916
You are missing the point completely, so you're saying that no matter how much I try to tell you that Kishi is objectively a terrible writer you won't listen and try to study his works objectively as long as they sell and are acclaimed and loved by a fuckton of people?
Talk about being delusional, how about you actually build an opinion first.

Considering how you're the one asking how can monogatari's "monotonous dialogues" interest anyone, when it is exactly as well selling and acclaimed as Naruto, but Nisio also has a career in writing and won numerous awards for his works, that are immensely more acclaimed than naruto in higher circles.

It's like you're trying really hard to make face on it, I don't understand.
>>
>>134463036
>It's like you're trying really hard to make face on it
No, it's just that I'm bored and trying to hold an argument defending a series I've never watched/read and attacking one which I like.
Sorry
>>
>>134459110
Trying to be something you're not. Oddities end up getting swallowed by the darkness when they do this.
>>
File: tmp.jpg (100 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
tmp.jpg
100 KB, 1920x1080
>>134463085
Well, I guess I expected something like that, at least you bumped the thread so that's something.
>>
>>134463177
How is that relevant to the initial question at all?
I think I missed that.
Yeah they do, what's that got to do with buddhist hell concept?
>>
File: snail bump.jpg (323 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
snail bump.jpg
323 KB, 1920x1080
>>
File: 1445872027034.png (419 KB, 461x595) Image search: [Google]
1445872027034.png
419 KB, 461x595
I want Ougi to put her sleeves close to my erect dick.
Then I want her sleeves to slowly descend over my erect manhood so that I can feel her soft, pale hand stroke my dick as I ejaculate all over the insides of her sleeves.
I don't want to see her hands though.
>>
>>134465447
This is a bad pasta, why is this even a pasta in the first place.
>>
>>134459365
>We generaly don't care about spoilers

Unless it's people complaining about Death Note spoilers, though I can't tell if they're just being goobers or genuinely pissed about have a 10 year old anime spoiled.
>>
>>134459438
>Zen Buddhism
>Buddhism
Pick one
>>
>>134462916
>Naruto is both popular and good writing
Alright what the fuck?

I've read that shit. There is nothing remotely good or special about it aside from insane heapings of borderline ridiculous melodrama, which may entertain many people but most will either eventually find much better sources of this/get a desk job or, grow out of it.

Naruto is the anime/manga equivalent of professional wrestling, except wrestling usually has better character development, pacing, fight scenes, editing, and is more impressive from a technical viewpoint.

You can't compare Naruto to something like Monogatari on the basis of good writing because it fundamentally lacks any basis of quality or nuance.

Seriously, what the FUCK are you doing?
>>
>>134466141
Read the thread.
>>
>>134465986
>complaining about death note spoilers

What? Are you serious? No way people actually do that here.
>>
>>134459093
Only part of those who watch monogatari are degenerates, those who like Cat or Crab.
>>
>>134461067

Except for, you know, the fact that it's actually unwatchable dogshit.

People just watch it for the fanservice.
>>
File: 1379097286111.png (41 KB, 187x299) Image search: [Google]
1379097286111.png
41 KB, 187x299
>>134462351
>Considering this is the best selling show topping every chart in popularity for 6 years
Then why do the preteen girls I tutor only talk about Twilight?
>she just has an idea and makes shit up on place without really knowing what to do with it
Yet despite that, Stephanie Meyer still manages to create exciting content which millions across the world love. If that isn't the sign of a great writer, then I don't know what is.
>>
File: 52353454545.gif (3 MB, 244x300) Image search: [Google]
52353454545.gif
3 MB, 244x300
Was Monogatari always discussed this much on /a/? I just started watching it a month ago and now I'm noticing just how many threads we have in addition to a daily general.
>>
>>134467405
>going through several hours of talking just to see a foot or a thigh
This isn't the 80s anymore.
>>
>>134467472
Look it up in the archive ;_;
>>
>>134467438

>Popularity = quality

Whew, lad. I bet you think Justin Beiber is an incredibly talented musician, too.
>>
File: 4534523545.jpg (24 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
4534523545.jpg
24 KB, 500x375
>>134467542
Too soon.
>>
File: 1374164236467.jpg (90 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1374164236467.jpg
90 KB, 1280x720
>>134467550
>reading comprehension
>>
>>134467069
Or Snek.
>>
>>134467550
>~(current year + 1)
>hating on JB
Fuck off back to Facebook fucker.
Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.